Bed Bath & Beyond

1.5K reviews

Bed Bath & Beyond Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
hard labour for not enough pay, management was not professional, tense work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONApril 3, 2014
Pros: good for attaining retail experience
Cons: choice of management and co workers
a typical day at work would be making sales of many different household products, working at the cash register or stocking new merchandise. i learned a lot about how the retail industry works and how to manage a cash register, as well as customer service and how to help customers get exactly what they came in to purchase. Although i did gain great experience in the retail field, management and co workers were not cooperative and were continuously subjected to drama in the work place, no one worked cooperatively also if there was ever any issues management did not seek to resolve them. The work environment was very tense, there were long hours, and not many with scheduled hours leaving one person or two doing a lot of work themselves.
Great place to work amazing return policy. Always the customer comes first.
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee), Belleville, ONAugust 1, 2013
Pros: pot lucks, employee incentives
Cons: some days so busy never enough staff. poor vision coverage
I work with a great bunch of people. The days and evenings go fast. Always busy with multitude of tasks to do. Front end always very busy directing people to products and or the proper staff member to assist their needs. Very busy with phones and customer inquiries. Directing all phones calls to the appropriate staff. Always maintaining fast and efficient service to the customer and maintaining short lines by always calling for back up. Company policy one plus one in lines so they are always kept to a very minimum.
The absolute best about this company is they recognize your abilities and promote as much as possible. I have been fortunate to be able to go to numerous store openings and am always a front runner for the next opening.
Friendly workplace with supportive staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 16, 2015
Enjoyable job in a comfortable, encouraging workplace.Very friendly and helpful coworkers, created great workplace compatibility and enhanced personal communication skills. Everyone was flexible when it came to things such as covering shifts and vacation time. Managers were easy-going, a couple were a bit stiff but overall quite pleasant. Management encouraged productivity and always ensured all employees were satisfied with their job. Although mostly all employees were energetic and maintained a positive attitude, there were a few who caused issues. The most enjoyable part was working alongside highly experienced coworkers and being able to learn workplace techniques from them that I can apply to my work.
enhanced my confidance and multi-tasking ability
Front end lead associate (Current Employee), Bed, Bath and BeyondJanuary 8, 2016
Pros: great staff
Cons: retail hours. evenings and weekends.
Each day is different yet the same. Greeting customers, and engaging in conversation while ringing them through the check out. Making sure their needs are met while answering the phone and sometimes solving other problems that might arise. I've learned so much about myself and what an incredible multi tasker I am. My co workers are incredible. Always dedicated to the customer and putting people first. They always go above and beyond to make our clients happy. The hardest part of the job are the hours. With three kids it's difficult to work varied hours. A set schedule would be wonderful for planning other activities for myself and to meet my children's needs.
Okay place to work
P/T Associate (Former Employee), Regina, SKJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: employee incentive programs run by product manufacturers
Cons: minimal pay for maximum work
Being paid minimum wage to do way more work than was expected wasn't fun. I was the only associate in my section who was physically able to do ladder work, which there was a lot of. Initially I was told all the stock would be done in the morning before the store even opened, but that wasn't the case. Carrying large, awkward boxes up and down ladders can be really hard. And setting up displays with minimal space is exhausting.

Other than the less than stellar pay, the other staff was amazing, including the department managers. Everyone is super friendly and very willing to help if you have any problems.
Big Box store
Soft Side Manager (Former Employee), BarrieFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: communication
Supervising floor associates, ordering product, merchandising, completing reports, customer service and scheduling.

Efficient stock planning for big box retail.

Bed Bath tried to create a dynamic environment but failed on connecting with associates. If you are going to ask for the highest dedication you must make them feel appreciated.
Associates will stay even if the pay isn't great, if they like who they work with and if they feel appreciated, unfortunately there was no appreciation.
Co-workers were fantastic.
Communication with corporate office employees.
Creating a massive store from an empty shell.
Typical Day at Work
Front End/Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 21, 2014
A typical day at work included of greeting each and every customer ensuring a positive entrance into the store. Recovery, which meant that each label of every product was to be facing the customer and aligned with the edge of the shelf. Assisting customers with questions regarding if we carried a certain product or the whereabouts of its location in the store. I also personally dealt with exchanges, returns, angry customers and complaints on a daily basis. However, all the staff at BB&B are easy to get along with as long as everyone does their part.
Thought of a job is nice, actual job isn't
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONAugust 11, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: unplanned breaks, 75% of the didn't get days you book off
A typical day at work is approaching customers every two songs, asking if they need help, bringing products to the front of the shelf, filling empty spots and putting away the returns.
A few of my managers are nice, the others are not
and all of my co-workers are super nice.
The hardest part of my job is walking around constantly, and lifting heavy products. The most enjoyable is being thanked when I can find the product for them
A Typical day as a Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 12, 2013
Pros: early start time, early finish time
Cons: long commutes
A typical day at work includes sweeping the floor before opening to ensure a clean facility aiding customers with enquirers and purchases and loading the floor with merchandise. I learned an excellent amount about the proper approach to sale how to engage the customer through every step and always ensuring the bottom line. The hardest part is being on my feet for 8-10 hours but the most enjoyable was helping the customers.
Great first time job, and helped me develop great interpersonal skills.
Cashier (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioAugust 4, 2014
Bed Bath and Beyond was a great first time job experience for me, my co-workers were very nice and cooperative with me. In addition, they pushed me further to develop interpersonal skills with the customers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get out of my shell, and interact more with the customers, thankfully I grew more outgoing. Furthermore, I learned more about myself and found out that if I put my mind to something I can succeed and prosper.
Productive and fun workplace
Department Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: wonderful discount, fun and exciting products, fun work environment
Cons: long hours, retail environment
My days are typically nine hours where I am superwoman and then some. Focused heavily on customer service tasking is always secondary. Being a retail environment, staff are hard to keep but the ones who do stay are fantastic and enthusiastic. It is still a young company in Canada and is working out the kinks of their operations but overall a wonderful company to work for.
Thoroughly enjoyed
Regional Fullfillment Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 5, 2012
Pros: weekends off, occasional pizza day
Cons: not being able to move up in the company
This company is great to work for.The managers are friendly and caring.
The environment for me was very cheerful and low stress.
My shifts were Mon-Fri starting at 7:00am until 330pm which created more time for my self and family.
The hardest part about my job was the ever changing amount of orders that came in throughout the day
I spent my days working on my own which at times was very enjoyable
AWFUL recruiting team,
Str. Mgr (Former Employee), NBJuly 17, 2012
Company strung me along for 5 MONTHS, telling me i was top pick for a new store opening. Had 3 interviews, they even said at one point i had nothing to worry about, there was a lack of people with experience in the area. They eventually hired all the staff and gave me some excuse about how i was accidentally missed. Spoke with other applicants who had similar experience. Im glad i was never hired, if that is how they treat prospective applicants imagine how they treat actual staff.
Great culture and values
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: the company was willing to go the extra step to ensure customer satisfaction
The culture of the store is fantastic. The main concern is for customer satisfaction, and I highly appreciate that. The management and co-workers all strive to achieve this, and will go out of their way to make things happen. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a customer is surprised about how much effort we would put in to ensure their satisfaction.
Nice Hours and Strong Sense of Team Work
Receiver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 29, 2015
Pros: Nice Hours
Cons: Hard Labour (since I worked as a receiver)
This job required a lot of hard work and commitment. I believe I was able to meet both these requirements. Before this job my sense of teamwork was very weak and I did not have strong interpersonal skills, however after this job I realised how important strong communication skills were. I really enjoyed how well most of the co-workers got along with each other.
Unfair
Front end lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 25, 2015
Pros: Easy job, fun staff
Cons: Short breaks, rude management
I worked here for a little over a year. The people were nice and fun to work with, but after a while you start to realize that the managers cares about themselves only. They wont treat you fairly. The hours they give you are good at first, but then they suck after a while. There were good days and bad days. You don't get anywhere with this job.
Fun, family, friendly,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONJune 27, 2012
Pros: two free 15 minute breaks, fair amount of independence
Cons: lots of employees, limited hours
I worked there for almost a year and made lots of friends. They say work is a place for work but at BBB, it was like working with friends. The atmosphere is very positive. The only downfall is in the slow season, like any retail business, that hours get cut.
Retail work with LOTS of customer service
Sales/Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 31, 2015
Pros: discount after 90 days
Cons: Management can sometimes be too much
If you like to sell products, and are more comfortable with lots of customer interactions this job is suited towards you. The aim of the store is to become as close to the customers as possible and to have them leave with 100 % satisfaction every time.
Great Place to work and hone your csr skills
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Current Employee), London, ONAugust 16, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: minimum wage
Amazing managers to work with. Building a relationship and customer service are the main goals. Fun atmosphere to work in. Keeps you busy all the time in a good way. The co-workers are great and always helpful. Emphasis is paid on teamwork.
fun place to work
Business Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: flaxible timing
Cons: nothing.
I have learned a lot about diverse culture and more.
I like to keep myself updated and it was a great opportunity.
my co workers are all very co -operative.
I love working with teams and it was pleasure that I had an position in bed bath and beyond to prove so.
Headquarters