Bechtel Employee Reviews

This was a great place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL1 October 2014
Bechtel Company was a great place to work. The employees were easy going and very professional at the same time. Bechtel made it easy with computer courses that once completed made way for advancement. I learned how to work with people from all over the world where sometimes language was different and interesting.
Pros
Working with new people
Cons
Having the project finish.
Well educated, Experienced Cost Engineer with Competence, Passion & Confidence
Estimator & Cost Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC1 August 2014
- Budget Change Management, Cost Control; Invoices Review and Approval; Cash Flow; Monthly EAC report for Mutiple Contracts.
- Multi tasks; Incorporate with Co-workers & Other Departments.
- Lessons learned from mistakes.
-Learn new skills, methods everyday.
-Plenty of trainings, courses and workshops.
-Advantages of accessing Job site, getting first hand data from work front.
Pros
activities, benifits
Cons
The worst HR staff I have ever had to deal with
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC26 June 2014
Bechtel's HR staff are the worst HR staff I have ever dealt with. They lied to me about my salary. They told me I would get overtime and told me what amount I would make before I got to site. Then when I started working for them I found out they were just paying me straight time. They refused to do anything about it. They did that to a number of my colleagues who were Canadian.

When I finally quit they made my life as hard as they could make it. When I did nothing wrong. I told them I would give them as much noticed as the wanted. They provided me with housing initially and literally gave me one day to get out of it the day I quit. Obviously thats illegal in BC. But they threatened me saying they would get their lawyers after me and that I had to leave now! I have also heard they will try to get money back for their fly in and fly out jobs.

They have you sign about 20 contracts before you start so that if you quit they can retrieve money from you.

The salary is above what you would make in town typically about 20% above. But way lower than good companies would pay you to work out of town.

My experience with this company was that it was poorly run. Some of the contractors told me it was the worst company they have ever had to deal with. This company will try to nickel and dime you every way possible. I gave it my all with this company and in the end they treated me like piece of garbage. Think twice before working or dealing with this company
Pros
Some good people within the company
Cons
Liars and treat staff very poorly especially if you ever quit
Good culture.
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC8 June 2014
Busy but cooperative and respectful colleagues. Friendly approachable management.
Great opportunity for advancement
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec28 April 2014
Really enjoyed my time at Bechtel. I started off in a 3-week temporary position which turned into a 5 year stay. Once my 3 week contract was up Bechtel placed me in another department where I had the opportunity to be a project secretary. Once the project was completed I was transferred to the Document Control Center. I enjoyed my time in DCC and excelled in this position. Unfortunately the economy was not cooperative and many layoffs resulted.
Productive Place
SENIOR PIPING DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Calgary-Edmonton19 April 2014
It was very Productive and managed place I have ever worked.
Working experiance at Bechtel every day
Supplier Quality Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC18 March 2014
Bechtel Canada was one of the best companies I have ever worked for; high level of integrity, pride, and people oriented.
Pros
9/80 flex work week
Cons
not being employed at this time.
Quality Control must be implemented for all departments especially HR
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC5 March 2014
Human Resources manipulate statistics in regards to locals because they knowingly hire Bechtel wives from other countries with the 'guise' of being local by going through Kitimat Valley Institute (local hiring agency).

Quality Control needs to be implemented, people need to be accountable for their responsibilities. Measurable results are required for success, and this is probably the reason why the project is not completed as per schedule.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Need more organization, need accountability, need to implement bechtels quality control measures in all fronts, need more support and measurable metrics
Remote assignment in camp status.
Lead Superintendent/Alternate Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC25 October 2013
- heavy work load due to minimal staff
- lots of opportunity to learn due to multi-tasking required
Pros
Organize team building activities during off hours
Cons
Wet and heavy snow in winter
Hardworking colleagues willing to share knowledge and learn from others
Senior Cost Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2013
Standard working conditions, mostly enjoyable environment to work in.
Hi paced environment with limited resources.
Package Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 September 2013
Day usually starts at 8 AM and stops at 5 PM with lunch at your desk due to the high pressure of meeting unachievable deadlines.

I learned that in order to succeed in such a high paced environment you have to trust your team in order to support each other.

Management NOT very helpful probably due to their own deadlines.

My co-workers were my greatest asset and if it wouldn't have been for our close working relationship we would have failed.

The hardest part of my job was producing quality working and still maintaining the schedule deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of my job were the teamwork with my co-workers..
Pros
Learning experience of a large capital project.
Cons
Long hours due to the unreasonable deadlines and non-existant management support.
Fast paced environment
Site Human Resource Coordinator (Generalist) (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC25 June 2013
Construction and Engineering company. In home offices, they have ad 9/80 program where you work 9 hrs per day, get 1 short Friday (8hrs) and the other Friday off - that's really nice. On site you work as needed and you work hard. Its a much more stressful environment and requires a lot of dedication.
Good standard and high expectation
Senior Civil Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2013
Learned a lot about heave uplift, set up a standard for the CSA team to have a unified design basis.
Pros
good leadership and colleagues
Cons
Contract job...
There are a lot of hided opprtunities
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 February 2013
The arrangment of 96/7 is wonderful (every second Friday is off).
The officies are located in downtown, close to the public transportation.
Your co-workers are helpful.
Pros
every second fiday is off
Great Place to work
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 November 2012
Bechtel is one of the best companies to work at. Work load sometimes can be really huge, but overall you are compromised for every effort you put
Pros
lunch, flexable hours, respect
Cons
most jobs are project based
Disappointing
Lead Civil Designer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 October 2012
i was expecting more from an organization that is as large as they are
Great Company to Work
Engineering Group Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 October 2012
This is a great company to work. The work environment is dynamic and chanllenging. Encourages and invests on professional development of employees.
Cons
non-diversified pool of projects in some smaller offices of company.
Top notch Engineering and Construction Company of 114 years globally.
Full set of duties of T&L Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QC Canada1 June 2012
Top notch Engineering and Construction Company of great pedigree and global operations in 100+ projects. Highest standards on ethics and safety.
Hardest part was to leave the project due to termination by the client.
Pros
perfect team of professionals.
Cons
project termination
employed for 2 1/2 yrs seems not ample to rate the co. accurately
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2012
typical day is fluid and the workload and scheds seems to fit majority of workdays. overtime are required at random frequencies.
Pros
employee relations relate to teamwork.
Cons
not much co. sponsored activities.
Very productive and good place to work
Administrative Assistant Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB14 April 2012
Start day with exercises, make coffee, go over inventory/ orders, do tasks that my ACM required me to do, I learned how to work with a diverse group of individuals, management was great and co-workers were very supportive and great at listening to what each had to say. Hardest: trying to keep up with other jobs that were given to my admin. assistant when they let her go,
Most enjoyable: working with a diverse group of people and learning safety procedures and being a safety marshall showed me how much our trades people really rely on their management for support.
Pros
any family concerns, able to go and take care of matters.
Cons
homeward traffic