Bechtel Employee Reviews in Canada

FH Bertling
Senior Project Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Montreal, CanadaMarch 20, 2016
August 2007, Bechtel International (Fjardaal, Iceland & Mosjoen, Norway Projects) Position: Senior Project Co-ordinator
• One of two FH Bertling representatives working in-house on these two projects, based in Montreal, Canada.
• Received purchase orders / SCN’s, expediting documentation from suppliers; packing lists, invoices, arranging the shipments and all customs formalities.
• Successfully liaised with expeditors, suppliers and buyers to ensure prompt shipment.
• Maintained good working relationship with the client, keeping them informed with up to date reports on all orders.
High workload, good compensation
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 6, 2016
The co-workers are great, the workload is high, overtime is expected. However the long hours are rewarded. Potential to grow in the company is great if you are willing to mobilize.
Pros
Long hours, approved overtime
New and Different Experience
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, CanadaFebruary 24, 2016
It was new and different experience at new places. I learned new work culture and co workers were very supportive. I got working experience with experts in metal and mining field.
Pros
Great Experience
Llarge company doing large construction job
Sr. Start-Up Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCNovember 4, 2015
Bechtel is a good company that in general tries to bring out the best in people and provide the best service for their customers. Naturally, there are exceptions and there is some dead wood in the organization.

Bechtel typically expects people to move to where the jobs are and the nature of their projects means that this normally means moving somewhere remote and working a fly in/fly out.
On the whole, Bechtel was good company to work with. Labrador Project had some hardnosed people,
Piping Superintendent Areas (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, Kursanyah SaudiAugust 23, 2015
Labrador Project Had General Superintendent with limited experience as Gen.Superintendent (Scaffolding Foreman) and a Safety Manager from Australia who tended to punish minor safety slips with dismissal. Trade Superintendents were exceptional to work with and knowledgeable. Office staff were also.

Saudi Project was good. Expats from several countries were a "Team". Personnel Manager for in / out assistance was in my opinion not suited for the position or the duties for which he was in volved with.
IT project support (Former Employee) –  MontrealJuly 30, 2015
This company drives you to be the best. People care and are genuine.

Management is great and the work in challenging

I would go back any day
Pros
Salary, Challenges, Perks
Cons
Long hours, tired
EPC General Contractor
Senior Field Engineer - Electrical (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCFebruary 16, 2015
Technical support to contractors.
Supervision work activities in the field both quality and quantity per the schedule and design.
Connection between design engineering and the contractors.
Provide field change design.
Prepare the turnover package book to pre-com and provide the punch list.
Supply any document from the search engine either from the design or vendor drawings and procedure.
Using various Bechtel tools including Setroute for electrical equipment, raceways, cables and terminations and various report.
BPS the procurement tools, Cable ordering and cable management.
QUUR, and so on.
Pros
camp status, free accommodation, transportation and air fare
Cons
10 hors a day
Very good environment
Industrial Engineer at Center of Excellence (Former Employee) –  MontrealMarch 11, 2015
Proper coaching and involvement in activities
Very interesting projects
Great job experience
Exposure to different technology
Contributions to publications
Conference participation
Part of several committees
Pros
free lunches & snacks
Cons
instability
This was a great place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NLOctober 1, 2014
Bechtel Company was a great place to work. The employees were easy going and very professional at the same time. Bechtel made it easy with computer courses that once completed made way for advancement. I learned how to work with people from all over the world where sometimes language was different and interesting.
Pros
Working with new people
Cons
Having the project finish.
Well educated, Experienced Cost Engineer with Competence, Passion & Confidence
Estimator & Cost Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCAugust 1, 2014
- Budget Change Management, Cost Control; Invoices Review and Approval; Cash Flow; Monthly EAC report for Mutiple Contracts.
- Multi tasks; Incorporate with Co-workers & Other Departments.
- Lessons learned from mistakes.
-Learn new skills, methods everyday.
-Plenty of trainings, courses and workshops.
-Advantages of accessing Job site, getting first hand data from work front.
Pros
activities, benifits
Great opportunity for advancement
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecApril 28, 2014
Really enjoyed my time at Bechtel. I started off in a 3-week temporary position which turned into a 5 year stay. Once my 3 week contract was up Bechtel placed me in another department where I had the opportunity to be a project secretary. Once the project was completed I was transferred to the Document Control Center. I enjoyed my time in DCC and excelled in this position. Unfortunately the economy was not cooperative and many layoffs resulted.
Quality Control must be implemented for all departments especially HR
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCMarch 5, 2014
Human Resources manipulate statistics in regards to locals because they knowingly hire Bechtel wives from other countries with the 'guise' of being local by going through Kitimat Valley Institute (local hiring agency).

Quality Control needs to be implemented, people need to be accountable for their responsibilities. Measurable results are required for success, and this is probably the reason why the project is not completed as per schedule.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Need more organization, need accountability, need to implement bechtels quality control measures in all fronts, need more support and measurable metrics
Very productive and good place to work
Administrative Assistant Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABApril 14, 2012
Start day with exercises, make coffee, go over inventory/ orders, do tasks that my ACM required me to do, I learned how to work with a diverse group of individuals, management was great and co-workers were very supportive and great at listening to what each had to say. Hardest: trying to keep up with other jobs that were given to my admin. assistant when they let her go,
Most enjoyable: working with a diverse group of people and learning safety procedures and being a safety marshall showed me how much our trades people really rely on their management for support.
Pros
any family concerns, able to go and take care of matters.
Cons
homeward traffic
Hi paced environment with limited resources.
Package Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 8, 2013
Day usually starts at 8 AM and stops at 5 PM with lunch at your desk due to the high pressure of meeting unachievable deadlines.

I learned that in order to succeed in such a high paced environment you have to trust your team in order to support each other.

Management NOT very helpful probably due to their own deadlines.

My co-workers were my greatest asset and if it wouldn't have been for our close working relationship we would have failed.

The hardest part of my job was producing quality working and still maintaining the schedule deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of my job were the teamwork with my co-workers..
Pros
Learning experience of a large capital project.
Cons
Long hours due to the unreasonable deadlines and non-existant management support.
Top notch Engineering and Construction Company of 114 years globally.
Full set of duties of T&L Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QC CanadaJune 1, 2012
Top notch Engineering and Construction Company of great pedigree and global operations in 100+ projects. Highest standards on ethics and safety.
Hardest part was to leave the project due to termination by the client.
Pros
perfect team of professionals.
Cons
project termination
Fast paced environment
Site Human Resource Coordinator (Generalist) (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJune 25, 2013
Construction and Engineering company. In home offices, they have ad 9/80 program where you work 9 hrs per day, get 1 short Friday (8hrs) and the other Friday off - that's really nice. On site you work as needed and you work hard. Its a much more stressful environment and requires a lot of dedication.
Great group of people to work with; Great Company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 22, 2014
Never a dull moment. Fast-paced, varied and rewarding work. Interaction with colleagues worldwide. Learned about the mining and construction industry from a contract and procurement positions.
Pros
flex time
employed for 2 1/2 yrs seems not ample to rate the co. accurately
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 16, 2012
typical day is fluid and the workload and scheds seems to fit majority of workdays. overtime are required at random frequencies.
Pros
employee relations relate to teamwork.
Cons
not much co. sponsored activities.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  North YorkFebruary 19, 2015
Loved my job, just couldn't return after maternity leave. Moved out of the city and commute at this time with small children was not an option.
Great Company to Work
Engineering Group Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 27, 2012
This is a great company to work. The work environment is dynamic and chanllenging. Encourages and invests on professional development of employees.
Cons
non-diversified pool of projects in some smaller offices of company.