Bechtel Employee Reviews

Challenging Professional Work Place
Start-up (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Montreal, Labrador, Kitimat30 April 2016
Bechtel process and procedure is their battle plate. Encouraging contractors to follow procedures is often the biggest challenge. I have worked for various EPCM's and I have found Bechtel to be similar to the rest but has better training and a procedure for everything.

What makes the company good or bad is who you end up with on the jobsite, be it an office environment or a field deployment.
I have been very fortunate to always end up with a great group of people.

Bechtel is a seasoned EPCM and your compensation will be market value for the region the job is in. A typical day they expect you to do the job to their standards or better.

100% of the time if you prescribe to the procedure your part of the job will be on time and on budget.
Pros
Great feedback
High workload, good compensation
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 April 2016
The co-workers are great, the workload is high, overtime is expected. However the long hours are rewarded. Potential to grow in the company is great if you are willing to mobilize.
Pros
Long hours, approved overtime
FH Bertling
Senior Project Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Canada20 March 2016
August 2007, Bechtel International (Fjardaal, Iceland & Mosjoen, Norway Projects) Position: Senior Project Co-ordinator
• One of two FH Bertling representatives working in-house on these two projects, based in Montreal, Canada.
• Received purchase orders / SCN’s, expediting documentation from suppliers; packing lists, invoices, arranging the shipments and all customs formalities.
• Successfully liaised with expeditors, suppliers and buyers to ensure prompt shipment.
• Maintained good working relationship with the client, keeping them informed with up to date reports on all orders.
New and Different Experience
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Canada24 February 2016
It was new and different experience at new places. I learned new work culture and co workers were very supportive. I got working experience with experts in metal and mining field.
Pros
Great Experience
Llarge company doing large construction job
Sr. Start-Up Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC4 November 2015
Bechtel is a good company that in general tries to bring out the best in people and provide the best service for their customers. Naturally, there are exceptions and there is some dead wood in the organization.

Bechtel typically expects people to move to where the jobs are and the nature of their projects means that this normally means moving somewhere remote and working a fly in/fly out.
On the whole, Bechtel was good company to work with. Labrador Project had some hardnosed people,
Piping Superintendent Areas (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, Kursanyah Saudi23 August 2015
Labrador Project Had General Superintendent with limited experience as Gen.Superintendent (Scaffolding Foreman) and a Safety Manager from Australia who tended to punish minor safety slips with dismissal. Trade Superintendents were exceptional to work with and knowledgeable. Office staff were also.

Saudi Project was good. Expats from several countries were a "Team". Personnel Manager for in / out assistance was in my opinion not suited for the position or the duties for which he was in volved with.
IT project support (Former Employee) –  Montreal30 July 2015
This company drives you to be the best. People care and are genuine.

Management is great and the work in challenging

I would go back any day
Pros
Salary, Challenges, Perks
Cons
Long hours, tired
Very good environment
Industrial Engineer at Center of Excellence (Former Employee) –  Montreal11 March 2015
Proper coaching and involvement in activities
Very interesting projects
Great job experience
Exposure to different technology
Contributions to publications
Conference participation
Part of several committees
Pros
free lunches & snacks
Cons
instability
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York19 February 2015
Loved my job, just couldn't return after maternity leave. Moved out of the city and commute at this time with small children was not an option.
EPC General Contractor
Senior Field Engineer - Electrical (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC16 February 2015
Technical support to contractors.
Supervision work activities in the field both quality and quantity per the schedule and design.
Connection between design engineering and the contractors.
Provide field change design.
Prepare the turnover package book to pre-com and provide the punch list.
Supply any document from the search engine either from the design or vendor drawings and procedure.
Using various Bechtel tools including Setroute for electrical equipment, raceways, cables and terminations and various report.
BPS the procurement tools, Cable ordering and cable management.
QUUR, and so on.
Pros
Camp status, free accommodation, transportation and air fare
Cons
10 hors a day
Great group of people to work with; Great Company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2014
Never a dull moment. Fast-paced, varied and rewarding work. Interaction with colleagues worldwide. Learned about the mining and construction industry from a contract and procurement positions.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
This was a great place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL1 October 2014
Bechtel Company was a great place to work. The employees were easy going and very professional at the same time. Bechtel made it easy with computer courses that once completed made way for advancement. I learned how to work with people from all over the world where sometimes language was different and interesting.
Pros
Working with new people
Cons
Having the project finish.
Well educated, Experienced Cost Engineer with Competence, Passion & Confidence
Estimator & Cost Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC1 August 2014
- Budget Change Management, Cost Control; Invoices Review and Approval; Cash Flow; Monthly EAC report for Mutiple Contracts.
- Multi tasks; Incorporate with Co-workers & Other Departments.
- Lessons learned from mistakes.
-Learn new skills, methods everyday.
-Plenty of trainings, courses and workshops.
-Advantages of accessing Job site, getting first hand data from work front.
Pros
activities, benifits
Cons
The worst HR staff I have ever had to deal with
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC26 June 2014
Bechtel's HR staff are the worst HR staff I have ever dealt with. They lied to me about my salary. They told me I would get overtime and told me what amount I would make before I got to site. Then when I started working for them I found out they were just paying me straight time. They refused to do anything about it. They did that to a number of my colleagues who were Canadian.

When I finally quit they made my life as hard as they could make it. When I did nothing wrong. I told them I would give them as much noticed as the wanted. They provided me with housing initially and literally gave me one day to get out of it the day I quit. Obviously thats illegal in BC. But they threatened me saying they would get their lawyers after me and that I had to leave now! I have also heard they will try to get money back for their fly in and fly out jobs.

They have you sign about 20 contracts before you start so that if you quit they can retrieve money from you.

The salary is above what you would make in town typically about 20% above. But way lower than good companies would pay you to work out of town.

My experience with this company was that it was poorly run. Some of the contractors told me it was the worst company they have ever had to deal with. This company will try to nickel and dime you every way possible. I gave it my all with this company and in the end they treated me like piece of garbage. Think twice before working or dealing with this company
Pros
Some good people within the company
Cons
Liars and treat staff very poorly especially if you ever quit
Good culture.
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC8 June 2014
Busy but cooperative and respectful colleagues. Friendly approachable management.
Great opportunity for advancement
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec28 April 2014
Really enjoyed my time at Bechtel. I started off in a 3-week temporary position which turned into a 5 year stay. Once my 3 week contract was up Bechtel placed me in another department where I had the opportunity to be a project secretary. Once the project was completed I was transferred to the Document Control Center. I enjoyed my time in DCC and excelled in this position. Unfortunately the economy was not cooperative and many layoffs resulted.
Productive Place
SENIOR PIPING DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Calgary-Edmonton19 April 2014
It was very Productive and managed place I have ever worked.
Working experiance at Bechtel every day
Supplier Quality Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC18 March 2014
Bechtel Canada was one of the best companies I have ever worked for; high level of integrity, pride, and people oriented.
Pros
9/80 flex work week
Cons
not being employed at this time.
Quality Control must be implemented for all departments especially HR
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC5 March 2014
Human Resources manipulate statistics in regards to locals because they knowingly hire Bechtel wives from other countries with the 'guise' of being local by going through Kitimat Valley Institute (local hiring agency).

Quality Control needs to be implemented, people need to be accountable for their responsibilities. Measurable results are required for success, and this is probably the reason why the project is not completed as per schedule.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Need more organization, need accountability, need to implement bechtels quality control measures in all fronts, need more support and measurable metrics
Hardworking colleagues willing to share knowledge and learn from others
Senior Cost Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2013
Standard working conditions, mostly enjoyable environment to work in.