BDO Employee Reviews

Junior Administrator-Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS12 March 2014
I gained some great experience during my summer employment with BDO. I had administrative duties, as well as working on accounts as an accounting technician. My work week was from 8:30-5, Tuesday to Thursday, as I worked at my other job on alternating days. The management and staff there were all excellent; very friendly and helpful if I had any questions. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I would have loved to start a career with their company and hope to find an employer with a similar atmosphere.
Great co-workers
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 February 2014
As with most Public Practice, long hours, but a great learning opportunity. Great company to work for with good benefits. Pay is not great to start but increases dramatically with responsibility.
repectful , fun and friendly place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2014
A very friendly and fun environments. Managements were professional and respectful in dealing with their subordinates. The company has reasonable expectations from their employees. The employees were given rewards for their hard works and innovations.
High Stress
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2014
This was a great environment to work in.
The pay sucks.
Busy season hours are high and you still get in trouble for not working enough even if you work 50+ hours a week.
Based on perfection so don't screw up.
Working with my co-workers
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario Canada17 December 2013
I enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers. Management was very knowledgeable and willing to help. I learned to acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses. The hardest part of the job was to make sure all the work I have done is done properly.
Pros
Seminars then lunch
Cons
Seminars can become longer then expected
Fun and good community
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound9 December 2013
There is great learning culture - everyone tries to help each other to excel. No competition.
Great company to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 December 2013
Great place to learn to work hard and work as a team.
good place to learn many aspects of many different types of business related situations.
This job provided me with more advanced experience.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2013
The office was located too far from my residence, the working conditions were excellent with up to date equipment which were maintained. I did not find all the employees open and friendly which did not effect my productivity in the firm. My workload was high each day which is the way I like to work. I was working a lot with our clients to ensure their satisfaction, managed appointments for partners and managers and was relief receptionist
Pros
Lots of interesting work, got to know some very nice clients and help them with their tax packages.
Cons
Employees not friendly
typical day
Estate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario17 July 2013
• At the front line for debtors & creditors by phone & in person (debtors only), as it relates to bankruptcies & proposals.

• Complete specific tasks as required - with limited supervision – I.E. Assets follow up, ppsa seach, previous bankruptcy search, black book values, assist in filing of in-bankruptcy, prior, pre & post income tax returns.

• Miscellaneous data entry – I.E. Proof of claims, tax assessments, debtors payments, receipts of various assets etc.

• Monitor proposal approval - including full performance, deemed annulments or proposal revival.

• Prepare files for input into assend.

• Schedule appointments to include initial consultation, first & second counselling sessions.

• Assit when needed in any other aspect of completion of a file – I.E. Canada revenue agency follow up, asset follow up, e-filing of deemed taxation or statements of receipts & disbursments.
Good Experience
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2013
Finished BDO’s tax training week
Prepared T1 (personal) and T3 (trust) returns for clients
Responded to external parties via company email or in person pertaining to their issues
Managed and stored clients slips and receipts as required
Completed other tasks as required by the manager
Pros
Prepared T1 and T3's
Constant Learnings, Room for Growth
Intermediate Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 July 2013
BDO is an employer who expects hard work but rewards with recognition and room for growth. A typical day involves following up on outstanding items, picking up newly signed in work, and discussing projects with management. The hardest part is learning the tax technical knowledge in a short time frame. The coworkers are like minded individuals and are easy to interact with.
Good reputation externally
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario1 May 2013
Offers a market competitive compensation and benefits plan.
Great culture
Manager Financial Advisroy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2013
Working here was truly enjoyable for an accounting/consulting firm. There was work life balance and a feeling of team and belonging.

The downturn hit hard and positions were eliminated.
Pros
culture
Great ambiance with lots of work to do.
Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC11 January 2013
A typical day would be to set up the catering for meetings throughout the day. Then, I would have to go replace the secretary during her break and lunch. If there was no catering to do during the day, I would organize the filing cabinet.
I learned to be ultra organized and how to create a cocktail event within budget..
Management was very helpful and always there when I needed help.
My co-workers were great. Always there to assist me. They were all hilarious.
Hardest part of the job was waking up at 4am in the morning.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my co-workers and seeing how I was assisting them.
Pros
free pizza once a month and multiple breaks.
Cons
waking up early.
Fast paced and dynamic environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2013
Tax season is no fun at any place, but it was interesting to work with different types of returns.
Lots of work but the experience is worth it
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2012
Long days, lots of overtime, but overall you can learn a lot which will help you in the future.
work with pleasure
Occupation or position held Project Manager (Former Employee) –  13 November 2012
water and wastewate works with big pipes(PVC ,PHDE,PAFSIN) untill 1600mm diameter
Poorly run Company
SBG (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 October 2012
I invested a couple years of my life into the Burlington Office. This is a very disorganized, unencouraging, depressing office with no staff morale. They promote based on amount of time worked there, not quality of workmanship. So while someone is overqualified for a management position, a lesser individual will get it if they were hired before you. If you aren't involved in the Audit side of the Firm, forget about the Partners caring about you. The Small Business Group, Tax and Administrative Departments are run by monkeys. The Managers/Supervisors of the above are a joke whom are unhelpful, and have very little knowledge of what their staff do. The Firm caters to Partners, Audit Managers and Audit staff. Job security is virtually non-existant in this office. I saw countless hard-working staff in every department lose their jobs because the Partners could not hold clients. There is unrest in the Administrative department due to people who have worked their too long and won't change their ways. If you're a young professional in this office - forget about voicing your opinions, ideas for the firm. Under the age of 35 and they don't care about you. Compensation is significantly lower than that of other firms and they justify this on the economy. Having an issue with work/personal/coworker? Need to talk to HR? Forget about it. The two HR people at the Burlington and Mississauga office (they work between both offices) do not assist in any way at all. They will give attitude to anyone who brings an issue their way because they don't want to deal with it. Overall BDO might be a good  more... place to work in other offices, but I would be careful about Mississauga and Burlington. I personally saw too many horror stories in both offices to know that these two offices at least, are not ones that you would want to make a career out of. Good luck to those who try this out!!!! Prepare for disappointment with this joke of a corporation!!!  less
Cons
long hours; terrible management;
Long hours, great experience.
Junior Technician (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON3 September 2012
Great place. Didn't hire after contract. Learned alot worked with tax prep case view and case ware
Very demanding job requiring accuracy and paying attention to details
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 August 2012
A typical day at work is preparing different journals, reconciling bank statement for various clients. I worked with a great team and we worked together to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is remembering how each clients submit their paper work and what they provide because each client does their paper work differently.
Pros
summer and year end celebration, flex hours and able to work from home.
Cons
long hours and trying to get missing information from clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.