BDO Employee Reviews

Potential to be an outstanding Office, falling short.
Junior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 December 2014
Arrive at 8, work on files, NTR's mostly the odd special project. Receive queries, fix and give back. Management is uninspiring and "talks the talk" unfortunately there is a fair amount of politics so its best to keep your head down and just work. Group engagement and company engagement is lacking, some parts of the office certainly get a better gig. Hardest part of the job is never receiving any good feedback. Just queries and it is rare for someone to say good job. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the ability to learn at my own pace, work hard, and continually improve myself. While I personally feel this goes unnoticed here, that is not my concern at this point in my career.
Pros
Somewhat self managing, paid education
Cons
no company engagement. salary is not competitive
Typical student pay, long hours, steep learning curve
Intermediate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 November 2014
• Proven ability to plan and execute small and medium audits
• Independently completed numerous Review and NTR engagements for medium and large businesses in all industries
• Tax planning, bookkeeping, and filing of personal and corporate income tax returns
• Extensive knowledge of small-medium size businesses including wineries, not-for-profit organizations, credit unions, First Nations and municipalities
• Worked well in audit teams comprised of 4-6 members, effectively communicated with client, staff and Partners
A cohesive firm of financial professionals working as a team to grow Alberta business.
Manager, SRED (Special Advisory Services) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2014
I am truly enjoying my time with BDO in Calgary. They are a high performance team. Calgary is a competitive market. BDO is stepping up. I am particularly impressed with the SR&ED team. They are clear minded professionals who give honest and straight advice.
Pros
Highly qualified team (Probably the best in Alberta right now)
Cons
Not enough people know about BDO.
Excellent employer with lots for room for growth
Junior Administrator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer16 October 2014
I loved loved loved working here!! The people, the environment! It was fun and challenging and a fabulous bunch of people. Everyone worked together to build a great office atmosphere. We were always involved in charities and the community. The partners took the time to explain issues and mentor those below them. I truly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Always a great atmosphere. Social and uplifting.
Cons
Pay was on the low end
Great Place to Work
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 September 2014
Can't say enough positive things about this company
Great place to work with lots of community involvement
Poor training; no communication
Intermediate Acct Tech (Former Employee) –  Manitoba14 August 2014
When you start you're promised the world - training, room to grow, opportunity for education. What I got was not entry level, but a full-on corporate account with no training on the software nor explanation on what information is needed. There is no manual, no formal training, just dive right in and fend for yourself. The first person helping me was patient and could explain well, but he quit because the company screwed him after writing his UFE, and didn't offer the raise nor promotion he was promised. The next manager who was hired from the outside couldn't train nor had any patience.
The software was not always smooth and needed tweaking, or remapping, but the manager would do it quickly in front of you "you won't need to know this" - but eventually you do or else you're always asking for help. Time is money, so you can't ask questions as you go, because you're taking time away from someone else who is charging time on a client.
The partner that came in a couple times a week does not chat, nor even say hello as he walked by.
There are peaks and valleys - the hours you work overtime at tax time can be taken during the summer as flex time which is terrific, but when there is no work there is nothing to do but file, read. There was no work for weeks and they wouldn't train me on anything new. I got laid off for lack of progress. But there were no files to do. I hope all their business leaves for bad service.
Pros
Excellent benefits, RRSP matching after a year; Flexible hours
Cons
No training, no communication
No really my type place to work
Juinor Accountant (Former Employee) –  Oattawa16 July 2014
Like I said, it's not my type of place to work
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

lllllllllllll
l

llllllllllllllllllllll
Pros
Cons
all of the above
Great work environment and lifestyle but at a cost...
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton8 July 2014
Work life balance is better compared to other public accounting firms but there is no room for advancement and the pay is lower than most other public accounting firms.
working long hours
tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  mississauga, on19 June 2014
need to play politics and working long hours. no flexibility.
Top Quality CPA CA Training Company
CA, CPA, Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON5 June 2014
CPA CA

Exceptional Training and Development
Quality Clients
Biased opinions of management and unfair treatment of staff
Office Services (Former Employee) –  Markham29 May 2014
Pay for positions are low. Expectations of additional hours, time and personal time are great.
Management was poor at interoffice problem solving.
Unfair treatment of individuals not noted as favorites or staff having been in the office longer.

Hours worked are long and compensation is low.

Overall management is poor.

Not a pleasant environment to work in.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, poor management, disrespect in the workplace, unlawful dismissals
Good place to work compared to other public accounting firms.
SENIOR STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Vancouver6 May 2014
Relatively good work-life balance, however, very little job security.
Junior Administrator-Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS12 March 2014
I gained some great experience during my summer employment with BDO. I had administrative duties, as well as working on accounts as an accounting technician. My work week was from 8:30-5, Tuesday to Thursday, as I worked at my other job on alternating days. The management and staff there were all excellent; very friendly and helpful if I had any questions. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I would have loved to start a career with their company and hope to find an employer with a similar atmosphere.
Great co-workers
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 February 2014
As with most Public Practice, long hours, but a great learning opportunity. Great company to work for with good benefits. Pay is not great to start but increases dramatically with responsibility.
repectful , fun and friendly place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2014
A very friendly and fun environments. Managements were professional and respectful in dealing with their subordinates. The company has reasonable expectations from their employees. The employees were given rewards for their hard works and innovations.
High Stress
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2014
This was a great environment to work in.
The pay sucks.
Busy season hours are high and you still get in trouble for not working enough even if you work 50+ hours a week.
Based on perfection so don't screw up.
Working with my co-workers
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario Canada17 December 2013
I enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers. Management was very knowledgeable and willing to help. I learned to acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses. The hardest part of the job was to make sure all the work I have done is done properly.
Pros
Seminars then lunch
Cons
Seminars can become longer then expected
Fun and good community
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound9 December 2013
There is great learning culture - everyone tries to help each other to excel. No competition.
Great company to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 December 2013
Great place to learn to work hard and work as a team.
good place to learn many aspects of many different types of business related situations.
This job provided me with more advanced experience.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2013
The office was located too far from my residence, the working conditions were excellent with up to date equipment which were maintained. I did not find all the employees open and friendly which did not effect my productivity in the firm. My workload was high each day which is the way I like to work. I was working a lot with our clients to ensure their satisfaction, managed appointments for partners and managers and was relief receptionist
Pros
Lots of interesting work, got to know some very nice clients and help them with their tax packages.
Cons
Employees not friendly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.