BDO Employee Reviews

Stay away from this place unless you just graduated from school
BDO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2016
If you are an IT Pro, stay away from this place.
Too many supervisors and managers and senior managers.
Very stressful / toxic work environment.
No raises, but performance surveys and reports are always filled out like fashion.
No room for internal growth, unless you are "tight" with upper management.
Sad because if you find good people working with you, they will leave.
They will hire you if you are desperate, then take advantage of your situation.
There is a very clear "my way or the highway" mentality from the upper management.
It is however, situated in the heart of DownTown Toronto, so its easily accessible.
Pros
location
Cons
Pay, Management, Environment, Stress, Recognition.
Great place..
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2016
Busy office.. learned a lot of things regarding tax season.. management was great.. staff was great.. most enjoyable part of the job was when we all worked as a team when needed.
Would not do it again
Junior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 January 2016
As I only worked here for a short amount of time, for a reason, all I can say is that it is a miserable place to work in. Management is poor quality. Management was way to busy to even know what they had to do in a day. I was so excited to start working here but I quickly realized I made a huge mistake MOVING for this company. As part of the outsourcing (bookkeeping) group it is assumed that you know nothing about your job. It was very demeaning. I would not recommend this place for any person. DO NOT WORK FOR BDO.
Pros
All office supplies are available.
Cons
Everything else. HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT
Great people
Experienced Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 September 2015
BDO is full of energetic and fun people, which make it a great public accounting firm to be a part of. Busy season is busy however they have a flexible time off program for summer months.
Please stay away!
Reception (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta15 September 2015
When I first met with the Partner, I thought what a great company, this is going to be a really good company, I was going to feel secure, the individuals that I was working with were going to be polite, fun, respectful.....I couldn't have been more wrong.

I quickly realized after a month that the culture of BDO is not at all what it portrays it to be. Between affairs in the interoffice, gossip, backstabbing, two faced, rude, bullies in the office, I hated my reception position after a month!
You quickly realize who is in what group, who are peoples favorites. If you are the new person, forget about being involved with anything. The company meetings are a joke. People are on their phones, talking about their weekend plans. It's honestly, working in a circus.
I was bullied by other people in this office to the point where I was going home upset and leaving early just to get away from the bullying and the gossip.
I was told there was potential for me to move up to be able to do what I wanted to do in a different sector of the company, and I learnt through other people in the office because the Partners couldn't tell me themselves, that that wasn't going to happen.
Please be aware of this company!
Great experience and great people
Tax Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2015
Fun work place. Alot of supportive staff and supportive individuals for you to progress in life. Work life balance is good. They encourage growth, however compensation does not always equal growth. Always need to fight to get your value and worth. Good range of work and provides amazing guidelines and structure in order for you to finish each task.
Pros
Progression
Cons
Salary
Average company to work for.
Team Leader Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2015
Benefits are not as good. A lot of politics. Moving around to different department or receiving training is close to impossible.
Pros
Free Tea and Coffee but drinks were subsidized
Cons
Downtown Toronto. Odd working hours and 12 hour shifts
Review of BDO
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 February 2015
A good place to work for. Colleagues and management are really good to get along with. With time management skills, one can definitely manage the workload in busy season.
Pros
good people
Cons
delayed advancement
Potential to be an outstanding Office, falling short.
Junior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 December 2014
Arrive at 8, work on files, NTR's mostly the odd special project. Receive queries, fix and give back. Management is uninspiring and "talks the talk" unfortunately there is a fair amount of politics so its best to keep your head down and just work. Group engagement and company engagement is lacking, some parts of the office certainly get a better gig. Hardest part of the job is never receiving any good feedback. Just queries and it is rare for someone to say good job. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the ability to learn at my own pace, work hard, and continually improve myself. While I personally feel this goes unnoticed here, that is not my concern at this point in my career.
Pros
Somewhat self managing, paid education
Cons
no company engagement. salary is not competitive
Typical student pay, long hours, steep learning curve
Intermediate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 November 2014
• Proven ability to plan and execute small and medium audits
• Independently completed numerous Review and NTR engagements for medium and large businesses in all industries
• Tax planning, bookkeeping, and filing of personal and corporate income tax returns
• Extensive knowledge of small-medium size businesses including wineries, not-for-profit organizations, credit unions, First Nations and municipalities
• Worked well in audit teams comprised of 4-6 members, effectively communicated with client, staff and Partners
A cohesive firm of financial professionals working as a team to grow Alberta business.
Manager, SRED (Special Advisory Services) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2014
I am truly enjoying my time with BDO in Calgary. They are a high performance team. Calgary is a competitive market. BDO is stepping up. I am particularly impressed with the SR&ED team. They are clear minded professionals who give honest and straight advice.
Pros
Highly qualified team (Probably the best in Alberta right now)
Cons
Not enough people know about BDO.
Excellent employer with lots for room for growth
Junior Administrator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer16 October 2014
I loved loved loved working here!! The people, the environment! It was fun and challenging and a fabulous bunch of people. Everyone worked together to build a great office atmosphere. We were always involved in charities and the community. The partners took the time to explain issues and mentor those below them. I truly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Always a great atmosphere. Social and uplifting.
Cons
Pay was on the low end
Great Place to Work
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 September 2014
Can't say enough positive things about this company
Great place to work with lots of community involvement
Poor training; no communication
Intermediate Acct Tech (Former Employee) –  Manitoba14 August 2014
When you start you're promised the world - training, room to grow, opportunity for education. What I got was not entry level, but a full-on corporate account with no training on the software nor explanation on what information is needed. There is no manual, no formal training, just dive right in and fend for yourself. The first person helping me was patient and could explain well, but he quit because the company screwed him after writing his UFE, and didn't offer the raise nor promotion he was promised. The next manager who was hired from the outside couldn't train nor had any patience.
The software was not always smooth and needed tweaking, or remapping, but the manager would do it quickly in front of you "you won't need to know this" - but eventually you do or else you're always asking for help. Time is money, so you can't ask questions as you go, because you're taking time away from someone else who is charging time on a client.
The partner that came in a couple times a week does not chat, nor even say hello as he walked by.
There are peaks and valleys - the hours you work overtime at tax time can be taken during the summer as flex time which is terrific, but when there is no work there is nothing to do but file, read. There was no work for weeks and they wouldn't train me on anything new. I got laid off for lack of progress. But there were no files to do. I hope all their business leaves for bad service.
Pros
Excellent benefits, RRSP matching after a year; Flexible hours
Cons
No training, no communication
No really my type place to work
Juinor Accountant (Former Employee) –  Oattawa16 July 2014
Like I said, it's not my type of place to work
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

lllllllllllll
l

llllllllllllllllllllll
Pros
Cons
all of the above
Great work environment and lifestyle but at a cost...
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton8 July 2014
Work life balance is better compared to other public accounting firms but there is no room for advancement and the pay is lower than most other public accounting firms.
working long hours
tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  mississauga, on19 June 2014
need to play politics and working long hours. no flexibility.
Top Quality CPA CA Training Company
CA, CPA, Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON5 June 2014
CPA CA

Exceptional Training and Development
Quality Clients
Biased opinions of management and unfair treatment of staff
Office Services (Former Employee) –  Markham29 May 2014
Pay for positions are low. Expectations of additional hours, time and personal time are great.
Management was poor at interoffice problem solving.
Unfair treatment of individuals not noted as favorites or staff having been in the office longer.

Hours worked are long and compensation is low.

Overall management is poor.

Not a pleasant environment to work in.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours, poor management, disrespect in the workplace, unlawful dismissals
Good place to work compared to other public accounting firms.
SENIOR STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Vancouver6 May 2014
Relatively good work-life balance, however, very little job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.