BDO Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Work
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2016
BDO is probably the best employer out there. I guess opinions may vary depending upon the partner you work under but overall its just well managed.
good for accounting
SRED Consultant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 November 2016
Good work place and ethical, missing innovation and forward looking vision primarily older work force driven. needs a broader end user oriented view to expand and retain younger driven talent.
Pros
stable environment
Cons
limited to middle of road top down micro sight
Overall a fine place to work
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BC8 November 2016
I do not feel comfortable posting a review as I currently work for the company. However, I learned a lot while working at BDO and am happy that I had the opportunity.
Systens integrator
Director, National Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 October 2016
Partner based, technology and accounting firm. Global company with national presence. Focused on the Microsoft business solutions stack; Dynamics ERP, CRM, Business Intelligence / Corporate Performance Management.
Pros
partner firm
Cons
partner firm
Wonderful Place
Intermediate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2016
Overall BDO is a great place to work. AMAZING people who are always willing to answer a question and help others grow in the company. We had monthly lunches,did fun events like golf day and also gave back to the community with contribution day.Medical benefits could have been better but the salary was decent.
Pros
Free lunches once a month, great people
Cons
even though I was not last hired I was first let go
Relaxed environment; beautiful office, professional and personal freedom
Manager, Office Administration (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 September 2016
Good company; very employee engaging; opportunities for growth. A fun but hard-working environment; co-workers carefully chosen for fit with the group, resulting in a cohesive team that gets along well. Tight deadlines sometimes cause for stress, but support always available to manage this.
Very busy, but enjoyable.
Jr. Administation. (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 July 2016
A pleasant environment. Very busy, all staff on the administration team were very helpful. Great team work.
I was involved not only as reception relief but also in office services, keeping 4 kitchens clean, informing office supervisor when office supplies needed to be ordered, unloading stock and re-stocking on shelves. Placing paper in photocopiers, keeping work stations stocked with supplies,and sending out couriers. Also some filing and retrieving files from storage. I learned a new phone system and the preparation of out-going couriers and handling the process of incoming packages and mail.
Hardest part of the job was during tax season, switchboard and reception were very busy, clients and packages arriving at the office, at least 40 to 50 courier packages being sent out on one day.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the staff.
Pros
The company as very involved in community work, i.e.:Food Bank.
Cons
The travelling T.T.C- over 1 hour to get to the office. I don't drive
High pace work environment with many oppourtunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 July 2016
BDO is a great place to work for those interested in an office style job. Working at BDO taught me a lot in terms of both customer service and skills acquired for tax preparation services
Great
Junior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 May 2016
Always loved going into work and being interactive with the clients on a daily basis. I love helping my coworkers out when needed.
good place to work in and learn
Intermediate Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2016
Provide me with experience and accounting knowledge in various fields of accounting , flexible hours, team work environment.
Difficult but rewarding environment
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 April 2016
Each department have different expectations and busy seasons. It is expected that you will frequently have days where you need to meet tight deadlines. The job is demanding but it is also expected that you will get much more opportunities to learn as long as you are willing to put in the effort. Overall the place is a fairly pleasant place to work at.
Auditing
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2016
Great place to work, lots of learning opportunities. You would daily go for auditing and work with clients directly, great people and great partners, hardest part is that there is a lot of work, fun activities and lunches.
Pros
Great co wokrers
Cons
Stay away from this place unless you just graduated from school
BDO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2016
If you are an IT Pro, stay away from this place.
Too many supervisors and managers and senior managers.
Very stressful / toxic work environment.
No raises, but performance surveys and reports are always filled out like fashion.
No room for internal growth, unless you are "tight" with upper management.
Sad because if you find good people working with you, they will leave.
They will hire you if you are desperate, then take advantage of your situation.
There is a very clear "my way or the highway" mentality from the upper management.
It is however, situated in the heart of DownTown Toronto, so its easily accessible.
Pros
location
Cons
Pay, Management, Environment, Stress, Recognition.
Great place..
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2016
Busy office.. learned a lot of things regarding tax season.. management was great.. staff was great.. most enjoyable part of the job was when we all worked as a team when needed.
Would not do it again
Junior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 January 2016
As I only worked here for a short amount of time, for a reason, all I can say is that it is a miserable place to work in. Management is poor quality. Management was way to busy to even know what they had to do in a day. I was so excited to start working here but I quickly realized I made a huge mistake MOVING for this company. As part of the outsourcing (bookkeeping) group it is assumed that you know nothing about your job. It was very demeaning. I would not recommend this place for any person. DO NOT WORK FOR BDO.
Pros
All office supplies are available.
Cons
Everything else. HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT
Great people
Experienced Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 September 2015
BDO is full of energetic and fun people, which make it a great public accounting firm to be a part of. Busy season is busy however they have a flexible time off program for summer months.
Please stay away!
Reception (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta15 September 2015
When I first met with the Partner, I thought what a great company, this is going to be a really good company, I was going to feel secure, the individuals that I was working with were going to be polite, fun, respectful.....I couldn't have been more wrong.

I quickly realized after a month that the culture of BDO is not at all what it portrays it to be. Between affairs in the interoffice, gossip, backstabbing, two faced, rude, bullies in the office, I hated my reception position after a month!
You quickly realize who is in what group, who are peoples favorites. If you are the new person, forget about being involved with anything. The company meetings are a joke. People are on their phones, talking about their weekend plans. It's honestly, working in a circus.
I was bullied by other people in this office to the point where I was going home upset and leaving early just to get away from the bullying and the gossip.
I was told there was potential for me to move up to be able to do what I wanted to do in a different sector of the company, and I learnt through other people in the office because the Partners couldn't tell me themselves, that that wasn't going to happen.
Please be aware of this company!
Great experience and great people
Tax Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2015
Fun work place. Alot of supportive staff and supportive individuals for you to progress in life. Work life balance is good. They encourage growth, however compensation does not always equal growth. Always need to fight to get your value and worth. Good range of work and provides amazing guidelines and structure in order for you to finish each task.
Pros
Progression
Cons
Salary
Average company to work for.
Team Leader Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2015
Benefits are not as good. A lot of politics. Moving around to different department or receiving training is close to impossible.
Pros
Free Tea and Coffee but drinks were subsidized
Cons
Downtown Toronto. Odd working hours and 12 hour shifts
Review of BDO
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 February 2015
A good place to work for. Colleagues and management are really good to get along with. With time management skills, one can definitely manage the workload in busy season.
Pros
good people
Cons
delayed advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.