BDO Employee Review

Poorly run Company
SBG (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 October 2012
I invested a couple years of my life into the Burlington Office. This is a very disorganized, unencouraging, depressing office with no staff morale. They promote based on amount of time worked there, not quality of workmanship. So while someone is overqualified for a management position, a lesser individual will get it if they were hired before you. If you aren't involved in the Audit side of the Firm, forget about the Partners caring about you. The Small Business Group, Tax and Administrative Departments are run by monkeys. The Managers/Supervisors of the above are a joke whom are unhelpful, and have very little knowledge of what their staff do. The Firm caters to Partners, Audit Managers and Audit staff. Job security is virtually non-existant in this office. I saw countless hard-working staff in every department lose their jobs because the Partners could not hold clients. There is unrest in the Administrative department due to people who have worked their too long and won't change their ways. If you're a young professional in this office - forget about voicing your opinions, ideas for the firm. Under the age of 35 and they don't care about you. Compensation is significantly lower than that of other firms and they justify this on the economy. Having an issue with work/personal/coworker? Need to talk to HR? Forget about it. The two HR people at the Burlington and Mississauga office (they work between both offices) do not assist in any way at all. They will give attitude to anyone who brings an issue their way because they don't want to deal with it. Overall BDO might be a good  more... place to work in other offices, but I would be careful about Mississauga and Burlington. I personally saw too many horror stories in both offices to know that these two offices at least, are not ones that you would want to make a career out of. Good luck to those who try this out!!!! Prepare for disappointment with this joke of a corporation!!!  less
Cons
long hours; terrible management;

Other BDO Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Staff Accountant in Audit & Advisory (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
As an intrermediate staff accountant in Audit & Advisory, I performed NTR, review, and audit engagements for private companies. I developed skills in analyzing financial statements and performing audit procedures to assess company operations and bookkeeping.
Lots to learn
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2017
It's a typical national accounting firm where you see it more like a post secondary education than a job. It's a good start to your career because you really learn a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.