BDO

BDO Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Would not do it again
Junior Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: All office supplies are available.
Cons: Everything else. HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT
As I only worked here for a short amount of time, for a reason, all I can say is that it is a miserable place to work in. Management is poor quality. Management was way to busy to even know what they had to do in a day. I was so excited to start working here but I quickly realized I made a huge mistake MOVING for this company. As part of the outsourcing (bookkeeping) group it is assumed that you know nothing about your job. It was very demeaning. I would not recommend this place for any person. DO NOT WORK FOR BDO.
Please stay away!
Reception (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 15, 2015
When I first met with the Partner, I thought what a great company, this is going to be a really good company, I was going to feel secure, the individuals that I was working with were going to be polite, fun, respectful.....I couldn't have been more wrong.

I quickly realized after a month that the culture of BDO is not at all what it portrays it to be. Between affairs in the interoffice, gossip, backstabbing, two faced, rude, bullies in the office, I hated my reception position after a month!
You quickly realize who is in what group, who are peoples favorites. If you are the new person, forget about being involved with anything. The company meetings are a joke. People are on their phones, talking about their weekend plans. It's honestly, working in a circus.
I was bullied by other people in this office to the point where I was going home upset and leaving early just to get away from the bullying and the gossip.
I was told there was potential for me to move up to be able to do what I wanted to do in a different sector of the company, and I learnt through other people in the office because the Partners couldn't tell me themselves, that that wasn't going to happen.
Please be aware of this company!
Poor training; no communication
Intermediate Acct Tech (Former Employee), ManitobaAugust 14, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, rrsp matching after a year; flexible hours
Cons: no training, no communication
When you start you're promised the world - training, room to grow, opportunity for education. What I got was not entry level, but a full-on corporate account with no training on the software nor explanation on what information is needed. There is no manual, no formal training, just dive right in and fend for yourself. The first person helping me was patient and could explain well, but he quit because the company screwed him after writing his UFE, and didn't offer the raise nor promotion he was promised. The next manager who was hired from the outside couldn't train nor had any patience.
The software was not always smooth and needed tweaking, or remapping, but the manager would do it quickly in front of you "you won't need to know this" - but eventually you do or else you're always asking for help. Time is money, so you can't ask questions as you go, because you're taking time away from someone else who is charging time on a client.
The partner that came in a couple times a week does not chat, nor even say hello as he walked by.
There are peaks and valleys - the hours you work overtime at tax time can be taken during the summer as flex time which is terrific, but when there is no work there is nothing to do but file, read. There was no work for weeks and they wouldn't train me on anything new. I got laid off for lack of progress. But there were no files to do. I hope all their business leaves for bad service.
Biased opinions of management and unfair treatment of staff
Office Services (Former Employee), MarkhamMay 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours, poor management, disrespect in the workplace, unlawful dismissals
Pay for positions are low. Expectations of additional hours, time and personal time are great.
Management was poor at interoffice problem solving.
Unfair treatment of individuals not noted as favorites or staff having been in the office longer.

Hours worked are long and compensation is low.

Overall management is poor.

Not a pleasant environment to work in.
Great company to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 6, 2013
Great place to learn to work hard and work as a team.
good place to learn many aspects of many different types of business related situations.
Great ambiance with lots of work to do.
Filing Clerk (Former Employee), Montreal, QCJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: free pizza once a month and multiple breaks.
Cons: waking up early.
A typical day would be to set up the catering for meetings throughout the day. Then, I would have to go replace the secretary during her break and lunch. If there was no catering to do during the day, I would organize the filing cabinet.
I learned to be ultra organized and how to create a cocktail event within budget..
Management was very helpful and always there when I needed help.
My co-workers were great. Always there to assist me. They were all hilarious.
Hardest part of the job was waking up at 4am in the morning.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my co-workers and seeing how I was assisting them.
If I was to do it over, I wouldn't have worked there.
Staff (Former Employee), OntarioJune 1, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: everything else
I came from a bigger accounting firm and in comparison, the big 4 firms are much better managed. Its not a great environment to advance your career, middle management is full of people with no advancement prospects and no interest in helping you succeed. Four stars for job security as they can't seem to keep people so you don't have to worry about losing your job.

November 5, 2012

Long hours, very little recognition, no support from partners or senior managers, unorganized... are some of the issues with working at BDO. High turn over of staff as they cannot seem to retain good people. I would not recommend working for BDO. The other 4 accounting firms are better managed, more supportive, recognize hard working staff, realistic work hours and compensation, work, life, balance!

November 8, 2012

I worked at the Mississauga office for over 2 years and found the culture of the company is not consistant with how things are really run in the firm. The firm is not well managed, process is not streamlined and some of the partners are very unprofessional. There is a lot of favouratism and if you do not play the game, you are a target. There is such a huge disconnect between partners and the staff. Manager are expected to work long hours and hope that a bonus will be given... think again. The administrators of the firm are a joke. All they do is complain about work, take 2 hours lunches and talk behind everyones backs. Can you say "two faces"? I have ard it first hand many times. I would not recommend working for BDO or at least the Mississauga office. Lack of loyality, work long hours and not be rewarded, no respect, lots of promises and no support from parners - all they want is to make sure they get their share of profits, selfish.