BDO Employee Reviews

Mid market accounting firm
Staff Accountant/Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
The firm provides a great place for accountants/auditors directly out of university. Compensation is comparable with similar sized firms. Seasonally busy, with good overall benefits package and time off. Room for advancement for those seeking it.
Pros
Training
Cons
Busy season, tax season
Terrible management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton26 March 2017
Don't work here. Management is petty and unforgiving. No work/life balance though they claim the opposite. No room for growth, no mistakes allowed. Worst company I've ever worked for.
Work summary of Canadian Tire
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
Canadian Tire is one of the most successful retailers in the country and has succeeded by acquiring an amazing team of professionals. Working here was an excellent opportunity to hone business skills, inter-team dynamics. We such a diverse number of individuals it was always both a learning experience and rewarding. The company believes in continually bettering oneself through education and over the course of my two years I was able to expand my knowledge base with several courses. I would like to express my admiration and respect for my management team who have since become my friends.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
I great many disperate systems
good place to learn skills but long hours
Senior Accountant, Full (Current Employee) –  Senior Auditor24 February 2017
BDO is good place to develop technical skills and earn experience to deal with all kind of clients in different industry. While public accounting firm is also a place of long hours and no balance of work and life.
Bad corporate culture
Senior accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
This company fronts itself as a training office but the managers are very unwelcoming, literally no investment in its people, hostile work environment with unhealthy competition
Pros
Good files
Cons
Corporate culture, bad managers, notorious at hiring during busy season and firing when the office is quite
Wonderful people to work with and gain experiennce
Administration Assistant/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 February 2017
Really enjoyed working there, management was patient and supportive. Had the ability to prioritize my tasks and make suggestions.
Poor work/life balance with below average salary
Accountant/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 January 2017
Below industry average salary, consistent overtime and work on weekends, poor coaching and upper management support. Understaffed and no desire to fix issues. Take advantage of workers
Pros
free lunches/food
Cons
long hours, regular overtime, poor management
The most awful place I have ever worked at
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Stay away from here if you can. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Management doesn't have patience to teach people what is required in order to enhance their career. No one has patience or the time of day to go through and explain things...except for maybe 1 partner on the floor. Mistakes are not allowed at all. That doesn't help a learning CPA student since it is a training office. But if you make a mistake and someone complains about you then you get the boot. Partners only care about income stream and clients. They do not have your back at all as an employee. Seriously, horrible culture as everyone is always stressed and doesn't have time to communicate or talk to you about your performance until it is too late to salvage what has already been done.
Co-workers are rude. I worked with someone who constantly talked down to others as if he knew everything. I don't know how he is still around yet they fire others who try and learn at their job.
Seriously if you can just stay away and go to a big 4 accounting firm. At least they treat you with a little bit more respect.
They fired a bunch of people at the start of January 2017 because they didn't have enough chargeable hours in November and December. Why? Because there wasn't enough work. So they are over staffed yet they have jobs advertised for still hiring. So pathetic.
Cons
Rude employees, no support from management, expectation that you will learn everything very quick
Co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
It was a great position for Co-op. Good organization that allowed learning in a busy period and provided resources to help the students excel in their respective co-op positions.
A Great Place to Work
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2016
BDO is probably the best employer out there. I guess opinions may vary depending upon the partner you work under but overall its just well managed.

Want to know more about BDO?

Ask a question
good for accounting
SRED Consultant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 November 2016
Good work place and ethical, missing innovation and forward looking vision primarily older work force driven. needs a broader end user oriented view to expand and retain younger driven talent.
Pros
stable environment
Cons
limited to middle of road top down micro sight
Overall a fine place to work
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BC8 November 2016
I do not feel comfortable posting a review as I currently work for the company. However, I learned a lot while working at BDO and am happy that I had the opportunity.
Systens integrator
Director, National Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 October 2016
Partner based, technology and accounting firm. Global company with national presence. Focused on the Microsoft business solutions stack; Dynamics ERP, CRM, Business Intelligence / Corporate Performance Management.
Pros
partner firm
Cons
partner firm
Wonderful Place
Intermediate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2016
Overall BDO is a great place to work. AMAZING people who are always willing to answer a question and help others grow in the company. We had monthly lunches,did fun events like golf day and also gave back to the community with contribution day.Medical benefits could have been better but the salary was decent.
Pros
Free lunches once a month, great people
Cons
even though I was not last hired I was first let go
Relaxed environment; beautiful office, professional and personal freedom
Manager, Office Administration (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 September 2016
Good company; very employee engaging; opportunities for growth. A fun but hard-working environment; co-workers carefully chosen for fit with the group, resulting in a cohesive team that gets along well. Tight deadlines sometimes cause for stress, but support always available to manage this.
Very busy, but enjoyable.
Jr. Administation. (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 July 2016
A pleasant environment. Very busy, all staff on the administration team were very helpful. Great team work.
I was involved not only as reception relief but also in office services, keeping 4 kitchens clean, informing office supervisor when office supplies needed to be ordered, unloading stock and re-stocking on shelves. Placing paper in photocopiers, keeping work stations stocked with supplies,and sending out couriers. Also some filing and retrieving files from storage. I learned a new phone system and the preparation of out-going couriers and handling the process of incoming packages and mail.
Hardest part of the job was during tax season, switchboard and reception were very busy, clients and packages arriving at the office, at least 40 to 50 courier packages being sent out on one day.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the staff.
Pros
The company as very involved in community work, i.e.:Food Bank.
Cons
The travelling T.T.C- over 1 hour to get to the office. I don't drive
High pace work environment with many oppourtunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 July 2016
BDO is a great place to work for those interested in an office style job. Working at BDO taught me a lot in terms of both customer service and skills acquired for tax preparation services
Great
Junior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 May 2016
Always loved going into work and being interactive with the clients on a daily basis. I love helping my coworkers out when needed.
good place to work in and learn
Intermediate Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2016
Provide me with experience and accounting knowledge in various fields of accounting , flexible hours, team work environment.
Difficult but rewarding environment
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 April 2016
Each department have different expectations and busy seasons. It is expected that you will frequently have days where you need to meet tight deadlines. The job is demanding but it is also expected that you will get much more opportunities to learn as long as you are willing to put in the effort. Overall the place is a fairly pleasant place to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.