BDO

BDO Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A stable company which you can grown old and enjoyable and exciting work everyday.
Service/Marketing Officer (Former Employee), Bulacan PhilippinesMay 19, 2014
Pros: fast and accurate promotions of employee, hard work was acknowledged.
Cons: long banking hours with no pay at all.
Everyday is a new life at BDO, you'll never know what will happen today since you got to meet a variety of clients with different needs and situations. Although operational work is a redundant responsibility but still life is not boring since everyone is having fun in their respective duties. Nice ambience at work. I love the most is when I help and – more... satisfy each and every client who approach me and ask for assistance in their banking needs. Everyday is a continuous learning which I could use in my everyday life but what I learned the most is the listening skill which help me understand people. It's a music to my ear whenever customers/clients says "Thank you". Management gives a satisfactory salary, bonuses and allowances except for the long banking hours they require from employees without necessary payment for it. – less
Great company to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 6, 2013
Great place to learn to work hard and work as a team.
good place to learn many aspects of many different types of business related situations.
Great ambiance with lots of work to do.
Filing Clerk (Former Employee), Montreal, QCJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: free pizza once a month and multiple breaks.
Cons: waking up early.
A typical day would be to set up the catering for meetings throughout the day. Then, I would have to go replace the secretary during her break and lunch. If there was no catering to do during the day, I would organize the filing cabinet.
I learned to be ultra organized and how to create a cocktail event within budget..
Management was very helpful and – more... always there when I needed help.
My co-workers were great. Always there to assist me. They were all hilarious.
Hardest part of the job was waking up at 4am in the morning.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my co-workers and seeing how I was assisting them. – less
Poorly run Company
SBG (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 18, 2012
Cons: long hours; terrible management;
I invested a couple years of my life into the Burlington Office. This is a very disorganized, unencouraging, depressing office with no staff morale. They promote based on amount of time worked there, not quality of workmanship. So while someone is overqualified for a management position, a lesser individual will get it if they were hired before you. – more... If you aren't involved in the Audit side of the Firm, forget about the Partners caring about you. The Small Business Group, Tax and Administrative Departments are run by monkeys. The Managers/Supervisors of the above are a joke whom are unhelpful, and have very little knowledge of what their staff do. The Firm caters to Partners, Audit Managers and Audit staff. Job security is virtually non-existant in this office. I saw countless hard-working staff in every department lose their jobs because the Partners could not hold clients. There is unrest in the Administrative department due to people who have worked their too long and won't change their ways. If you're a young professional in this office - forget about voicing your opinions, ideas for the firm. Under the age of 35 and they don't care about you. Compensation is significantly lower than that of other firms and they justify this on the economy. Having an issue with work/personal/coworker? Need to talk to HR? Forget about it. The two HR people at the Burlington and Mississauga office (they work between both offices) do not assist in any way at all. They will give attitude to anyone who brings an issue their way because they don't want to deal with it. Overall BDO might be a good place to work in other offices, but I would be careful about Mississauga and Burlington. I personally saw too many horror stories in both offices to know that these two offices at least, are not ones that you would want to make a career out of. Good luck to those who try this out!!!! Prepare for disappointment with this joke of a corporation!!! – less

Tyrrel – October 23, 2012

I agree with the comments noted about BDO Mississauga and Burlington being poorly managed. There is a disconnect between the partners themselves. There are staff at both locations that have been at BDO for a long time and are comfortable with their jobs as they are protected by the partners they work for - and know it. They care about themselves and their "pets". The HR people are two faced and all for senior management ie partners. They act ike they are listening and able to assist with any issues, but then go running the head partners divuldging what you think is a confidential meeting. The two offices have senior administrators who do nothing but complain about their workload to their partners. If they are not happy they go running to the partner they do work for and cry fowel. The rumour mill is a joke. This organization needs to do ome house cleaning starting with the administrators and work their way up to the senior level. I would NEVER recommend BDO as an accounting source to anyone I know! Don't waste your time if you are contemplating a job with the BDO Burlington or Mississauga office.

If I was to do it over, I wouldn't have worked there.
Staff (Former Employee), OntarioJune 1, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: everything else
I came from a bigger accounting firm and in comparison, the big 4 firms are much better managed. Its not a great environment to advance your career, middle management is full of people with no advancement prospects and no interest in helping you succeed. Four stars for job security as they can't seem to keep people so you don't have to worry about losing – more... your job. – less

Tyrrel – November 5, 2012

Long hours, very little recognition, no support from partners or senior managers, unorganized... are some of the issues with working at BDO. High turn over of staff as they cannot seem to retain good people. I would not recommend working for BDO. The other 4 accounting firms are better managed, more supportive, recognize hard working staff, realistic work hours and compensation, work, life, balance!

Tyrrel – November 8, 2012

I worked at the Mississauga office for over 2 years and found the culture of the company is not consistant with how things are really run in the firm. The firm is not well managed, process is not streamlined and some of the partners are very unprofessional. There is a lot of favouratism and if you do not play the game, you are a target. There is such a huge disconnect between partners and the staff. Manager are expected to work long hours and hope that a bonus will be given... think again. The administrators of the firm are a joke. All they do is complain about work, take 2 hours lunches and talk behind everyones backs. Can you say "two faces"? I have ard it first hand many times. I would not recommend working for BDO or at least the Mississauga office. Lack of loyality, work long hours and not be rewarded, no respect, lots of promises and no support from parners - all they want is to make sure they get their share of profits, selfish.

Company is ok
Sr. Associate (Former Employee), TXJuly 8, 2014
You will be scheduled on jobs, but there will usually not be much communication with management or partners. Planning usually isn't adequate or done too late. Managers either over audit or under audit. There is no balance. Company has competitive benefits.
Great Place to Build a Career
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: great social events such as lunches, dinners, happy hours, softball teams, and golf outings
Cons: n/a
BDO has an excellent reputation for both career advancement and work/life balance. My seniors and managers did a good job explaining assignments and were always willing to answer any questions that I had. The partners that I met were genuine and down to earth. The work is challenging and rewarding and there is a good variety of responsibility.
Handy
Senior Auditor (Former Employee), IslamabadJune 1, 2014
Pros: annual dinner
Cons: contract based
- Finalization
- Revaluation of property, plant and equipment
A good training ground for a banking individual.
Customer Service Associate/ Bank Teller (Former Employee), Pasig, PhilippinesMay 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours, low salary
Working with a large and full service bank like BDO has helped me build a nice and firm knowledge about banking industry. From cash and check deposits, encashments, bills payments, foreign currencies exchange, wire transfer transactions, up to opening new accounts and KYC's (know-your-clients) in establishing client's source of funds, etc

The management – more... offers each employees with numerous opportunities and significant training to improve and supply necessary information in improving bank related issues and transactions, I also get to work with highly motivated and knowledgeable professionals as well.

Although I also encountered hardships due to the banks high volume of different transactions, I can still say that being able to be a part of BDO for more that 3 years has given me a lot of useful knowledge. – less
A great place to learn and gain experience
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2014
I was treated as any other employee and not as an intern. I was given responsibility of any other associate and this made it possible for me to learn and gain experience. I respected that I was treated as any other and wanted to complete my work accurately and thoroughly. The office was a great environment to work in. I looked forward to working each – more... day. – less
good people
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2014
Partners work 15 hour days and expect other to do the same. Everyone works to a very high ethical standard.
Social environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), South AfricaMay 6, 2014
Pros: friday night drinks
Cons: no acknowledgement to teams
Managing of audit teams on entities in various industries.
Reporting to directors and shareholder regarding any weaknesses and risks identified while conducting the audit.
Performing accounting services, such as preparing financial statements and reconciling accounts, and dealing with client queries.
Assisted team members with queries and reviewed their – more... work.
Budgets were realistic and deadlines achievable.
Good team moral and had drinks every Friday night at the office bar. – less
Large Company with Big Ideas
Executive Assistant & Manager Practice Development (Former Employee), Tysons Corner, VAApril 25, 2014
BDO was great in how they structured their company. Very organized. Everyone knew their role on the team. It could become challenging at times as communication was at times difficult for me to recieve from the Partners I supported. At the time they were going through a merger which kept them very busy. I learned a lot from this group.
Great, employee friendly and awesome
Manager, Outsourced Financial Systems (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 3, 2014
Pros: employee friendly, growth
BDO was a fabulous place to grow individually and professionally, all while maintaining a positive work-life balance. BDO has high expectations, but is a very rewarding environment.
Over-worked for the pay...
Experienced Auditor, CPA (Current Employee), CAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: advancement and learning.
Cons: pay vs work-load
Ability to advance but the work-load is more demanding than what the compensation amounts to.
Highly recommended for External Audit
Audit Manager - Financial Services Group (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 6, 2014
Highly recommended for External Audit. Work/life balance is pretty good, compared to other auditing firms.
Challenging position
Administrative Assistant - Tax (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: busy, fast-paced environment
Cons: many managers were "stuck in the past" and didn't like to learn new things
A typical day at work involved typing engagement letters for tax returns and business proposals to generate new revenue for the firm, mailing returns to clients via Fed Ex, working with Go File Room system to ensure all returns were filed in a timely manner, and interacting with various levels of management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning – more... new things and training was always available in order to do the best possible job for your clients. – less
Register (Former Employee), Rio de Janeiro, RJJanuary 5, 2014
My days working for BDO was the best ones in my life. I had great responsabilities and I learned so much with others. Work with children and teenagers was the best part of this too, we learn a lot about life and childhood.
BDO
Recruiting Senior Associate (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 23, 2013
Great place to work and the company really seems to care about the people.
International CPA firm
CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2013
Good place to get a lot of audit and tax experience for a new graduate. International firm but local offices focus on mid to large companies so junior accounting staff are exposed to a variety of audit and tax issues.

1 2 3