BDO

BDO Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor training; no communication
Intermediate Acct Tech (Former Employee), ManitobaAugust 14, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, rrsp matching after a year; flexible hours
Cons: no training, no communication
When you start you're promised the world - training, room to grow, opportunity for education. What I got was not entry level, but a full-on corporate account with no training on the software nor explanation on what information is needed. There is no manual, no formal training, just dive right in and fend for yourself. The first person helping me was – more... patient and could explain well, but he quit because the company screwed him after writing his UFE, and didn't offer the raise nor promotion he was promised. The next manager who was hired from the outside couldn't train nor had any patience.
The software was not always smooth and needed tweaking, or remapping, but the manager would do it quickly in front of you "you won't need to know this" - but eventually you do or else you're always asking for help. Time is money, so you can't ask questions as you go, because you're taking time away from someone else who is charging time on a client.
The partner that came in a couple times a week does not chat, nor even say hello as he walked by.
There are peaks and valleys - the hours you work overtime at tax time can be taken during the summer as flex time which is terrific, but when there is no work there is nothing to do but file, read. There was no work for weeks and they wouldn't train me on anything new. I got laid off for lack of progress. But there were no files to do. I hope all their business leaves for bad service. – less
Great company to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 6, 2013
Great place to learn to work hard and work as a team.
good place to learn many aspects of many different types of business related situations.
Great ambiance with lots of work to do.
Filing Clerk (Former Employee), Montreal, QCJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: free pizza once a month and multiple breaks.
Cons: waking up early.
A typical day would be to set up the catering for meetings throughout the day. Then, I would have to go replace the secretary during her break and lunch. If there was no catering to do during the day, I would organize the filing cabinet.
I learned to be ultra organized and how to create a cocktail event within budget..
Management was very helpful and – more... always there when I needed help.
My co-workers were great. Always there to assist me. They were all hilarious.
Hardest part of the job was waking up at 4am in the morning.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my co-workers and seeing how I was assisting them. – less
Poorly run Company
SBG (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 18, 2012
Cons: long hours; terrible management;
I invested a couple years of my life into the Burlington Office. This is a very disorganized, unencouraging, depressing office with no staff morale. They promote based on amount of time worked there, not quality of workmanship. So while someone is overqualified for a management position, a lesser individual will get it if they were hired before you. – more... If you aren't involved in the Audit side of the Firm, forget about the Partners caring about you. The Small Business Group, Tax and Administrative Departments are run by monkeys. The Managers/Supervisors of the above are a joke whom are unhelpful, and have very little knowledge of what their staff do. The Firm caters to Partners, Audit Managers and Audit staff. Job security is virtually non-existant in this office. I saw countless hard-working staff in every department lose their jobs because the Partners could not hold clients. There is unrest in the Administrative department due to people who have worked their too long and won't change their ways. If you're a young professional in this office - forget about voicing your opinions, ideas for the firm. Under the age of 35 and they don't care about you. Compensation is significantly lower than that of other firms and they justify this on the economy. Having an issue with work/personal/coworker? Need to talk to HR? Forget about it. The two HR people at the Burlington and Mississauga office (they work between both offices) do not assist in any way at all. They will give attitude to anyone who brings an issue their way because they don't want to deal with it. Overall BDO might be a good place to work in other offices, but I would be careful about Mississauga and Burlington. I personally saw too many horror stories in both offices to know that these two offices at least, are not ones that you would want to make a career out of. Good luck to those who try this out!!!! Prepare for disappointment with this joke of a corporation!!! – less

October 23, 2012

I agree with the comments noted about BDO Mississauga and Burlington being poorly managed. There is a disconnect between the partners themselves. There are staff at both locations that have been at BDO for a long time and are comfortable with their jobs as they are protected by the partners they work for - and know it. They care about themselves and their "pets". The HR people are two faced and all for senior management ie partners. They act ike they are listening and able to assist with any issues, but then go running the head partners divuldging what you think is a confidential meeting. The two offices have senior administrators who do nothing but complain about their workload to their partners. If they are not happy they go running to the partner they do work for and cry fowel. The rumour mill is a joke. This organization needs to do ome house cleaning starting with the administrators and work their way up to the senior level. I would NEVER recommend BDO as an accounting source to anyone I know! Don't waste your time if you are contemplating a job with the BDO Burlington or Mississauga office.

If I was to do it over, I wouldn't have worked there.
Staff (Former Employee), OntarioJune 1, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: everything else
I came from a bigger accounting firm and in comparison, the big 4 firms are much better managed. Its not a great environment to advance your career, middle management is full of people with no advancement prospects and no interest in helping you succeed. Four stars for job security as they can't seem to keep people so you don't have to worry about losing – more... your job. – less

November 5, 2012

Long hours, very little recognition, no support from partners or senior managers, unorganized... are some of the issues with working at BDO. High turn over of staff as they cannot seem to retain good people. I would not recommend working for BDO. The other 4 accounting firms are better managed, more supportive, recognize hard working staff, realistic work hours and compensation, work, life, balance!

November 8, 2012

I worked at the Mississauga office for over 2 years and found the culture of the company is not consistant with how things are really run in the firm. The firm is not well managed, process is not streamlined and some of the partners are very unprofessional. There is a lot of favouratism and if you do not play the game, you are a target. There is such a huge disconnect between partners and the staff. Manager are expected to work long hours and hope that a bonus will be given... think again. The administrators of the firm are a joke. All they do is complain about work, take 2 hours lunches and talk behind everyones backs. Can you say "two faces"? I have ard it first hand many times. I would not recommend working for BDO or at least the Mississauga office. Lack of loyality, work long hours and not be rewarded, no respect, lots of promises and no support from parners - all they want is to make sure they get their share of profits, selfish.

Great Working Atmosphere
Senior Consultant - Federal Practice (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: flexibility, friendly atmosphere
Cons: benefits are so-so compared to other professional services firms
The staff at BDO are a great mix of driven and friendly. I really enjoy working for my immediate manager and partner. The work has been stimulating but not overwhelming.
Business culture
Intern (Former Employee), Puerto RicoDecember 3, 2014
Opportunity to grow within the company. Very nice work ethics, culture and place to work. Nice holiday parties, great decoration and work space. Located in the heart of Santurce. Parking available for employees.
Productive workplace with lots of books to read.
Cash Sorter (Former Employee), Bacolod, P06December 2, 2014
My day to day work was always involving money. like counting and sorting accurately and filing documents. Our management was quite good for all of the employees and I find it fun and easy dealing with my co-workers for they are all friendly and approachable. The hardest part of the job was to work under pressure and being able to come up with certain – more... amount of money in any given time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with my co-worker everyday. – less
PRODUCTIVE
OFFICE STAFF (Former Employee), Makati, P00November 29, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: natural working hours
Well, as a office staff..it enhance my communication skills,especially the way I talk with english language,,2 years ago I encountered difficulties when I do conversations with my friends half american and half Filipino..but now I found out,,they say that my english profeciency getting well..that's why i am very thankful to my colleagues they help me – more... alot especially for being a professional. – less
Good Place to work. Productive work place.
Software Developer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 17, 2014
Accounting consulting firm. Small IT shop about 100 employees. Good team environment.
its a productive company ..because iw as not only assigned in one department but also to different account
Ex loan assistant (Former Employee), MakatiNovember 12, 2014
Cons: 8 hrs
i learned how to document properly and to how approach clients about their concerns
Corporate culture is great but not in the Wilmington office
Tax Department Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington, DENovember 7, 2014
Pros: flex work schedules
Cons: weak office management
Communication with clients re planning or tax notices. Supervised and trained tax staff. Created CPE for courses for staff and participated in national training. Attended networking and marketing events.
Audit Intern
Audit Intern (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLNovember 3, 2014
Excellent experience in the world of public accounting.

The hours can be long, but with hard work it pays off.
BDO's New York office is amazingly awful
Tax (Current Employee), New YorkNovember 2, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: long hours, no training, no work/life balance, outdated software systems, low pay
The office is extremely disorganized, management and partners are not willing to teach, there is favoritism, and you are expected to work 75+ hours almost each week. On top of that, they underpay their employes compared to the market rate.

Office environment is depressing. There are no windows. Software programs are outdated and time consuming. People – more... are not nice and not willing to help.

Upper management provides no training, nor do they have time to answer questions.

Almost all of the staff want to quit, and are consistently looking for other jobs. – less
Good Company
Litigation Paralegal / AML Compliance Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: all jobs are contract/temp positions
Great place to work.

asdnfjshfljsdahfljsaf

sdfjldsnfljdfnjdf
sjdnfjldsnfjlsdnfljsnf
Great experience
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), BostonOctober 27, 2014
Considering that I was the project manager and was assigning tasks to my colleague, I thought that I should have led the overall development of the framework. Based on the discussion my colleague, my team member suggested that he has developed several frameworks in his past career life and that he wants to take a lead with developing the outline for – more... this engagement. Ideally this was the responsibility of the project manager and I should have taken this responsibility. However, on second thought, I agreed that my team member had better experience developing best practices audit framework for large companies. I decided that I would let him take the lead on the engagement and that I would assist him as and where I can. He asked me to do a thorough research on various industry best practices frameworks. I readily agreed and started researching on audit frameworks. I researched on COBIT and COSO frameworks and developed gap assessment with these standards for the client. I brainstormed ideas with my colleague and while discussing my ideas he drafted an outline which used a combination of COSO and COBIT framework. This was an interesting experience for me since it could not envision that the problem at hand could have been best solved by combining two industry best practices instead of using one of them. Even though this could have solved the engagement at hand, it would still not be the best solution for this client. I had a deep discussion with my colleague and it seemed that utilizing the combination of both frameworks was an ideal solution.
As part of the deliverables, we developed the gap assessment, overall audit architecture methodology, detailed reports and a presentation for the client's senior management. We had a chance to present this report to the management where I allowed my colleague take the lead as he understood the intermingling of two frameworks much better than myself. At the end of presentation, the client was quite impressed with our effort and decided that the recommendations provided by us were not just unique but also suited to their environment and culture.
After the successful completion of the engagement, I realized that being a project leader does not mean that I have to impose my ideas and suggestions even if there are better suggestions from team members. In this engagement, I had to take a step back and let my colleague take charge as he had better grasp of the technical nuances of the project. I readily assisted my colleague during the project and did as he suggested. Even though simpler tasks like making a presentation or reviewing reports were menial tests that I used to assign to junior consultants in past engagements, I was doing these activities on this engagement. There were several things that I learned from this experience. I learned that it is alright to give charge and authority to another professional who has better skills for the engagement at hand. I also realized that even though I was the face for this client, it was alright for me to allow my colleague to take the lead in client presentation. At the end of the day, it was the team work and a better understanding between both of us that resulted in a successful engagement. Many a time having conflicting views in a team does not mean there is disagreement of prospective solutions but instead it brings about a need for adaptability to ensure the end goal is accomplished.
After the engagement was completed, I reported back to my partner with the feedback on my colleague's work and also explained how the client was impressed with our final deliverables. I gave an "outstanding" rating to my colleague for this engagement. My partner was also impressed that I let my colleague take charge on this project and that we resolved our issues in a professional demeanor. Couple months down the line from this engagement, the client came back suggested that they needed help with another engagement. My partner reached out to me and my colleague and suggested that we both have to be in sync and provide the best solution as we did from the last engagement. Hence, we not only retained our client but also were able to build strong relationship among ourselves and with the client. – less
N/A
Audit Associate - Woodbridge (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
BDO is a good place to work. Has good work/life balance and compensation is above average (as per glassdoor). Each group has a small amount of employees so the advancing in your position is easier than in other companies.
N/A
Assistant General Counsel (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 24, 2014
BDO USA is a midsized professional services firm with all the advantages and disadvantages of such a firm.
Great Firm with Great People
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 11, 2014
BDO is a great place to work with lots of opportunity for advancement. I enjoy the people and the atmosphere. The most difficult part of the job is the lack of work-life balance for a majority of the year.
Good Entry level experience
Assurance Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: volunteer & public service opportunities.
Gained basic audit experience in a professional setting.
Management generally accessible to address concerns.
Congenial atmosphere for a large firm.

1 2 3 4

About BDO

BDO has over 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, tax and advisory services to a broad range of – Read more