BDO Employee Reviews in Canada

Stay away from this place unless you just graduated from school
BDO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
If you are an IT Pro, stay away from this place.
Too many supervisors and managers and senior managers.
Very stressful / toxic work environment.
No raises, but performance surveys and reports are always filled out like fashion.
No room for internal growth, unless you are "tight" with upper management.
Sad because if you find good people working with you, they will leave.
They will hire you if you are desperate, then take advantage of your situation.
There is a very clear "my way or the highway" mentality from the upper management.
It is however, situated in the heart of DownTown Toronto, so its easily accessible.
Pros
location
Cons
Pay, Management, Environment, Stress, Recognition.
Would not do it again
Junior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJanuary 11, 2016
As I only worked here for a short amount of time, for a reason, all I can say is that it is a miserable place to work in. Management is poor quality. Management was way to busy to even know what they had to do in a day. I was so excited to start working here but I quickly realized I made a huge mistake MOVING for this company. As part of the outsourcing (bookkeeping) group it is assumed that you know nothing about your job. It was very demeaning. I would not recommend this place for any person. DO NOT WORK FOR BDO.
Pros
All office supplies are available.
Cons
Everything else. HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT
Please stay away!
Reception (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 15, 2015
When I first met with the Partner, I thought what a great company, this is going to be a really good company, I was going to feel secure, the individuals that I was working with were going to be polite, fun, respectful.....I couldn't have been more wrong.

I quickly realized after a month that the culture of BDO is not at all what it portrays it to be. Between affairs in the interoffice, gossip, backstabbing, two faced, rude, bullies in the office, I hated my reception position after a month!
You quickly realize who is in what group, who are peoples favorites. If you are the new person, forget about being involved with anything. The company meetings are a joke. People are on their phones, talking about their weekend plans. It's honestly, working in a circus.
I was bullied by other people in this office to the point where I was going home upset and leaving early just to get away from the bullying and the gossip.
I was told there was potential for me to move up to be able to do what I wanted to do in a different sector of the company, and I learnt through other people in the office because the Partners couldn't tell me themselves, that that wasn't going to happen.
Please be aware of this company!
good place to work in and learn
Intermediate Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2016
Provide me with experience and accounting knowledge in various fields of accounting , flexible hours, team work environment.
Biased opinions of management and unfair treatment of staff
Office Services (Former Employee) –  MarkhamMay 29, 2014
Pay for positions are low. Expectations of additional hours, time and personal time are great.
Management was poor at interoffice problem solving.
Unfair treatment of individuals not noted as favorites or staff having been in the office longer.

Hours worked are long and compensation is low.

Overall management is poor.

Not a pleasant environment to work in.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, poor management, disrespect in the workplace, unlawful dismissals
If I was to do it over, I wouldn't have worked there.
Staff (Former Employee) –  OntarioJune 1, 2012
I came from a bigger accounting firm and in comparison, the big 4 firms are much better managed. Its not a great environment to advance your career, middle management is full of people with no advancement prospects and no interest in helping you succeed. Four stars for job security as they can't seem to keep people so you don't have to worry about losing your job.
Pros
job security
Cons
everything else

Comment – November 5, 2012

Long hours, very little recognition, no support from partners or senior managers, unorganized... are some of the issues with working at BDO. High turn over of staff as they cannot seem to retain good people. I would not recommend working for BDO. The other 4 accounting firms are better managed, more supportive, recognize hard working staff, realistic work hours and compensation, work, life, balance!

Comment – November 8, 2012

I worked at the Mississauga office for over 2 years and found the culture of the company is not consistant with how things are really run in the firm. The firm is not well managed, process is not streamlined and some of the partners are very unprofessional. There is a lot of favouratism and if you do not play the game, you are a target. There is such a huge disconnect between partners and the staff. Manager are expected to work long hours and hope that a bonus will be given... think again. The administrators of the firm are a joke. All they do is complain about work, take 2 hours lunches and talk behind everyones backs. Can you say "two faces"? I have ard it first hand many times. I would not recommend working for BDO or at least the Mississauga office. Lack of loyality, work long hours and not be rewarded, no respect, lots of promises and no support from parners - all they want is to make sure they get their share of profits, selfish.

Poorly run Company
SBG (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 18, 2012
I invested a couple years of my life into the Burlington Office. This is a very disorganized, unencouraging, depressing office with no staff morale. They promote based on amount of time worked there, not quality of workmanship. So while someone is overqualified for a management position, a lesser individual will get it if they were hired before you. If you aren't involved in the Audit side of the Firm, forget about the Partners caring about you. The Small Business Group, Tax and Administrative Departments are run by monkeys. The Managers/Supervisors of the above are a joke whom are unhelpful, and have very little knowledge of what their staff do. The Firm caters to Partners, Audit Managers and Audit staff. Job security is virtually non-existant in this office. I saw countless hard-working staff in every department lose their jobs because the Partners could not hold clients. There is unrest in the Administrative department due to people who have worked their too long and won't change their ways. If you're a young professional in this office - forget about voicing your opinions, ideas for the firm. Under the age of 35 and they don't care about you. Compensation is significantly lower than that of other firms and they justify this on the economy. Having an issue with work/personal/coworker? Need to talk to HR? Forget about it. The two HR people at the Burlington and Mississauga office (they work between both offices) do not assist in any way at all. They will give attitude to anyone who brings an issue their way because they don't want to deal with it. Overall BDO might be a good  more... place to work in other offices, but I would be careful about Mississauga and Burlington. I personally saw too many horror stories in both offices to know that these two offices at least, are not ones that you would want to make a career out of. Good luck to those who try this out!!!! Prepare for disappointment with this joke of a corporation!!!  less
Cons
long hours; terrible management;

Comment – October 23, 2012

I agree with the comments noted about BDO Mississauga and Burlington being poorly managed. There is a disconnect between the partners themselves. There are staff at both locations that have been at BDO for a long time and are comfortable with their jobs as they are protected by the partners they work for - and know it. They care about themselves and their "pets". The HR people are two faced and all for senior management ie partners. They act ike they are listening and able to assist with any issues, but then go running the head partners divuldging what you think is a confidential meeting. The two offices have senior administrators who do nothing but complain about their workload to their partners. If they are not happy they go running to the partner they do work for and cry fowel. The rumour mill is a joke. This organization needs to do ome house cleaning starting with the administrators and work their way up to the senior level. I would NEVER recommend BDO as an accounting source to anyone I know! Don't waste your time if you are contemplating a job with the BDO Burlington or Mississauga office.

Poor training; no communication
Intermediate Acct Tech (Former Employee) –  ManitobaAugust 14, 2014
When you start you're promised the world - training, room to grow, opportunity for education. What I got was not entry level, but a full-on corporate account with no training on the software nor explanation on what information is needed. There is no manual, no formal training, just dive right in and fend for yourself. The first person helping me was patient and could explain well, but he quit because the company screwed him after writing his UFE, and didn't offer the raise nor promotion he was promised. The next manager who was hired from the outside couldn't train nor had any patience.
The software was not always smooth and needed tweaking, or remapping, but the manager would do it quickly in front of you "you won't need to know this" - but eventually you do or else you're always asking for help. Time is money, so you can't ask questions as you go, because you're taking time away from someone else who is charging time on a client.
The partner that came in a couple times a week does not chat, nor even say hello as he walked by.
There are peaks and valleys - the hours you work overtime at tax time can be taken during the summer as flex time which is terrific, but when there is no work there is nothing to do but file, read. There was no work for weeks and they wouldn't train me on anything new. I got laid off for lack of progress. But there were no files to do. I hope all their business leaves for bad service.
Pros
excellent benefits, rrsp matching after a year; flexible hours
Cons
no training, no communication
Great ambiance with lots of work to do.
Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day would be to set up the catering for meetings throughout the day. Then, I would have to go replace the secretary during her break and lunch. If there was no catering to do during the day, I would organize the filing cabinet.
I learned to be ultra organized and how to create a cocktail event within budget..
Management was very helpful and always there when I needed help.
My co-workers were great. Always there to assist me. They were all hilarious.
Hardest part of the job was waking up at 4am in the morning.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my co-workers and seeing how I was assisting them.
Pros
free pizza once a month and multiple breaks.
Cons
waking up early.
Great company to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 6, 2013
Great place to learn to work hard and work as a team.
good place to learn many aspects of many different types of business related situations.