BDO Employee Reviews

Horrible work life balance
Senior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 September 2017
High manager to staff ratio; all work is pushed on to staff. Managers would love you to work 24hrs a day if they could. Work environment is good but staff are just treated as work horses. Salary is not competitive, benefits are expensive. Very little sense of belonging, lacks company culture
Cons
Long hours, no job security
Co-Workers were great
Insolvency Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2017
I enjoyed working with my co-workers at BDO who were very helpful and likable. I would have liked to see more in office staff events to build team cohesiveness.
Flexible time, load of benefits
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  canada22 September 2017
Being a Financial advisor and part of sales team is one of my dream job, because it enhance my communication skills and improve my way of thinking. The best part of it, I was able to give help to other people by giving them advice and helping them with their financial needs.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
high but attainable target per year
Unprofessional
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
Managers doesn't understand the 'people manager' part of their role. They're stuck in doing sub-par tasks. Projects are run on a whim, no process or governance is in place. Management at all levels is immature and unprofessional. They're not very flexible in work hour schedule. They expect you to come in at the same time everyday, take a one hour lunch, their work from home option is only available after being working there for a year and Flex days are sometime skipped if it lands on an holiday (working an hour extra every day to get every other Monday or Friday off). They're very micromanaging and are transparent with their lack of care for employee retention.
Pros
easy to coast and no consequences for missed deadlines
Cons
Unprofessional, old world, micromanaging
Good company
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2017
Good company - fast paced environment

Great training programs

Staff is very helpful to new employees

Decent work life balance for an accounting firm
Pros
Great staff
N/a
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2017
Great place to work in Edmonton office before expansions/mergers started to happen. Culture changed at that point. Unable to really provide a review as have not worked there for a number of years and I am sure things have changed quite a bit.
Great Place to Work
Senior Accountant, US Tax (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 September 2017
The people are wonderful. The training is lacking, but those around you are always willing to step in and show you the ropes if required. There is a team environment for sure. You will not feel left on your own, there is always someone willing to help you. The work/life balance is great for a big firm, but the salary and benefits are not competitive enough in comparison to other firms.
Pros
Great enviroment
Well rounded experience
Staff Accountant, Accounting & Assurance (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 September 2017
BDO offered lots of exposure to various clients, industries, scope of work and working close with clients as many of them were small-midsized companies and a good mix of private, public, and NPO clients and related tax work. Great starting point for anyone seeking a career in accounting as CPA.
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Work-life balance
Great people, collaborative open-plan environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2017
Great people, many of which have been with the firm over an extended period of time, Collaborative, open-plan work-space. Flexible working program could be improved.
professional and hardworking team
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mocsow27 August 2017
Good workplace culture, high-level management, interesting range on clients, many possibilities for developments, sometimes overworked, but it compensate.

Want to know more about BDO?

Ask a question
a typical staff accountant position
STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON27 July 2017
entry level position, good support in place for cpa students. Management is friendly, workplace environment is friendly and easy to interact with the team.
Great Employees
Receptionist and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ontario19 May 2017
Very fast pace environment, you are expected to take on extra work and not compensate for it. Management only looks at the numbers and you can be replaced very easily.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Very heavy workload, with no break inbetween
Mid market accounting firm
Staff Accountant/Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
The firm provides a great place for accountants/auditors directly out of university. Compensation is comparable with similar sized firms. Seasonally busy, with good overall benefits package and time off. Room for advancement for those seeking it.
Pros
Training
Cons
Busy season, tax season
Terrible management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton26 March 2017
Don't work here. Management is petty and unforgiving. No work/life balance though they claim the opposite. No room for growth, no mistakes allowed. Worst company I've ever worked for.
Work summary of Canadian Tire
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
Canadian Tire is one of the most successful retailers in the country and has succeeded by acquiring an amazing team of professionals. Working here was an excellent opportunity to hone business skills, inter-team dynamics. We such a diverse number of individuals it was always both a learning experience and rewarding. The company believes in continually bettering oneself through education and over the course of my two years I was able to expand my knowledge base with several courses. I would like to express my admiration and respect for my management team who have since become my friends.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
I great many disperate systems
good place to learn skills but long hours
Senior Accountant, Full (Current Employee) –  Senior Auditor24 February 2017
BDO is good place to develop technical skills and earn experience to deal with all kind of clients in different industry. While public accounting firm is also a place of long hours and no balance of work and life.
Bad corporate culture
Senior accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
This company fronts itself as a training office but the managers are very unwelcoming, literally no investment in its people, hostile work environment with unhealthy competition
Pros
Good files
Cons
Corporate culture, bad managers, notorious at hiring during busy season and firing when the office is quite
Wonderful people to work with and gain experiennce
Administration Assistant/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 February 2017
Really enjoyed working there, management was patient and supportive. Had the ability to prioritize my tasks and make suggestions.
Poor work/life balance with below average salary
Accountant/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 January 2017
Below industry average salary, consistent overtime and work on weekends, poor coaching and upper management support. Understaffed and no desire to fix issues. Take advantage of workers
Pros
free lunches/food
Cons
long hours, regular overtime, poor management
The most awful place I have ever worked at
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Stay away from here if you can. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Management doesn't have patience to teach people what is required in order to enhance their career. No one has patience or the time of day to go through and explain things...except for maybe 1 partner on the floor. Mistakes are not allowed at all. That doesn't help a learning CPA student since it is a training office. But if you make a mistake and someone complains about you then you get the boot. Partners only care about income stream and clients. They do not have your back at all as an employee. Seriously, horrible culture as everyone is always stressed and doesn't have time to communicate or talk to you about your performance until it is too late to salvage what has already been done.
Co-workers are rude. I worked with someone who constantly talked down to others as if he knew everything. I don't know how he is still around yet they fire others who try and learn at their job.
Seriously if you can just stay away and go to a big 4 accounting firm. At least they treat you with a little bit more respect.
They fired a bunch of people at the start of January 2017 because they didn't have enough chargeable hours in November and December. Why? Because there wasn't enough work. So they are over staffed yet they have jobs advertised for still hiring. So pathetic.
Cons
Rude employees, no support from management, expectation that you will learn everything very quick

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.