BDO Canada LLP Employee Reviews

Wonderful Place
Intermediate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2016
Overall BDO is a great place to work. AMAZING people who are always willing to answer a question and help others grow in the company. We had monthly lunches,did fun events like golf day and also gave back to the community with contribution day.Medical benefits could have been better but the salary was decent.
Pros
Free lunches once a month, great people
Cons
even though I was not last hired I was first let go
Potential to be an outstanding Office, falling short.
Junior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 22, 2014
Arrive at 8, work on files, NTR's mostly the odd special project. Receive queries, fix and give back. Management is uninspiring and "talks the talk" unfortunately there is a fair amount of politics so its best to keep your head down and just work. Group engagement and company engagement is lacking, some parts of the office certainly get a better gig. Hardest part of the job is never receiving any good feedback. Just queries and it is rare for someone to say good job. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the ability to learn at my own pace, work hard, and continually improve myself. While I personally feel this goes unnoticed here, that is not my concern at this point in my career.
Pros
somewhat self managing, paid education
Cons
no company engagement. salary is not competitive
Great
Junior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 15, 2016
Always loved going into work and being interactive with the clients on a daily basis. I love helping my coworkers out when needed.
Fast paced environment; friendly staff;
Administrative Assistant - US Tax (Current Employee) –  Edmonton ABAugust 9, 2012
A typical day at work is several telephone calls, dealing with clients, processing files. Some management is very soft. Several co-workers are great people and good to be with. The hardest part of the job is the extremely long hours in this position as an average day is 9-10 hours. Not much chance for learning or advancing unless you are entering into courses for a designation.
Pros
firm functions
Cons
much overtime-no work/life balance
Review of BDO
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 2, 2015
A good place to work for. Colleagues and management are really good to get along with. With time management skills, one can definitely manage the workload in busy season.
Pros
good people
Cons
delayed advancement
Great work environment and lifestyle but at a cost...
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 8, 2014
Work life balance is better compared to other public accounting firms but there is no room for advancement and the pay is lower than most other public accounting firms.
Very demanding job requiring accuracy and paying attention to details
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 13, 2012
A typical day at work is preparing different journals, reconciling bank statement for various clients. I worked with a great team and we worked together to get the job done. The hardest part of the job is remembering how each clients submit their paper work and what they provide because each client does their paper work differently.
Pros
summer and year end celebration, flex hours and able to work from home.
Cons
long hours and trying to get missing information from clients.
Good place to work compared to other public accounting firms.
SENIOR STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  VancouverMay 6, 2014
Relatively good work-life balance, however, very little job security.
A cohesive firm of financial professionals working as a team to grow Alberta business.
Manager, SRED (Special Advisory Services) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 24, 2014
I am truly enjoying my time with BDO in Calgary. They are a high performance team. Calgary is a competitive market. BDO is stepping up. I am particularly impressed with the SR&ED team. They are clear minded professionals who give honest and straight advice.
Pros
highly qualified team (probably the best in alberta right now)
Cons
not enough people know about bdo.
working long hours
tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  mississauga, onJune 19, 2014
need to play politics and working long hours. no flexibility.
Constant Learnings, Room for Growth
Intermediate Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 15, 2013
BDO is an employer who expects hard work but rewards with recognition and room for growth. A typical day involves following up on outstanding items, picking up newly signed in work, and discussing projects with management. The hardest part is learning the tax technical knowledge in a short time frame. The coworkers are like minded individuals and are easy to interact with.
repectful , fun and friendly place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 14, 2014
A very friendly and fun environments. Managements were professional and respectful in dealing with their subordinates. The company has reasonable expectations from their employees. The employees were given rewards for their hard works and innovations.
Typical student pay, long hours, steep learning curve
Intermediate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 24, 2014
• Proven ability to plan and execute small and medium audits
• Independently completed numerous Review and NTR engagements for medium and large businesses in all industries
• Tax planning, bookkeeping, and filing of personal and corporate income tax returns
• Extensive knowledge of small-medium size businesses including wineries, not-for-profit organizations, credit unions, First Nations and municipalities
• Worked well in audit teams comprised of 4-6 members, effectively communicated with client, staff and Partners
Fun and good community
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Owen SoundDecember 9, 2013
There is great learning culture - everyone tries to help each other to excel. No competition.
No really my type place to work
Juinor Accountant (Former Employee) –  OattawaJuly 16, 2014
Like I said, it's not my type of place to work
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

llll
lllllllllllll
l

llllllllllllllllllllll
Cons
all of the above
Top Quality CPA CA Training Company
CA, CPA, Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJune 5, 2014
CPA CA

Exceptional Training and Development
Quality Clients
Fast paced and dynamic environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2013
Tax season is no fun at any place, but it was interesting to work with different types of returns.