BCLC Employee Reviews in Canada

IT / IM appicants :Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there
systems analyst (Former Employee) –  Kamloops BCAugust 18, 2014
My comments are targeted towards IT applicants.

Good IT staff. They're really earnest in wanting to do a good job. And like many places they're friendly.

Poor management. Generally they don't see staff as partners, more like a commodity. Which wouldn't be bad if they paid commodity prices.

Given that it's crown corporation it has a hard time finding direction. One week it's "let's googlefiy this place" to "you need be careful with your office supply budget". The provincial government is too attached to the profits from gambling and can be impacted by the party in power.

Most of the revenue from BCLC comes from casinos, not lottery tickets. You have to be comfortable working in the gaming/gambling industry. After leaving I had a sense of relief about not contributing to problem gambling, I was surprised how I saw that as benefit afterwards. If you really like gaming/gambling you're not allowed to play at any casino in BC as this would be perceived as a conflict of interest.

Being a small to medium sized company there aren't a lot of opportunities to move around if you find that your job has become stagnant. Role changes general come from reorganizations, applying for a different job tends to not to work out for internal IT employees as BCLC has hard time getting external applicants and they really want to bring in people whenever they can.

If you are in IT you will have to live in Kamloops. The city is OK but it's small and remote, 4 hour drive to Vancouver and nothing else in between. if you aren't happy you will have few options within the city, there is a good chance
  more... you'll have to move if you feel it's not right for you. If you're from Kamloops this isn't a issue but its a risk for those not from the city.

If you're an experienced IT professional outside of Kamloops I wouldn't recommend BCLC to you. Not a lot of lateral movement if you want to change up you're role, and limited opportunity if you want to change companies.

I would recommend to those with no opportunities or are already a resident of Kamloops.
Nasty!
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  KamloopsJune 14, 2014
I worked there for 2 years. I watched, helplessly, as they periodically got rid of anyone who was over 50. They recently fired 25% of their workforce, all over 50. During the period I was there, my supervisor, my manager and my director were all fired. It doesn't seem to matter how good you are at your job. Someone is always looking to find fault. This practice is top down. No one is happy and everyone is constantly looking over their shoulder! People put in long hours out of fear. This organization is typical of Gov. Lots of incompetency, especially in management. It stinks!
Pros
pay is on par
Cons
long hours, heavy criticism, no long term security
Amazing employers
Consumer Services - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Kamloops BCOctober 29, 2013
This was one of the best jobs I have ever had in terms of management and co-workers. This is a very friendly environment rich in higher learning and furthering education.
Pros
fair treatment, great wages, friendly staff, family orientated, onsite gym, hot lunches of amazing quality for low cost
Cons
i only had a temporary contract
Great company and benefits
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 18, 2013
Budget constraints will not allow for hours and FTE positions.
Challenging and interactive
IT Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 22, 2012
As an IT Customer Service Technician, I provided IT help to the employees of BCLC over the phone, email or in person. I worked directly with the customers to solve their technical issues. Here, I learned troubleshooting techniques, customer service and researching techniques. As I was only in my second year of computing science, I wasn't able to tackle the more challenging problems and had to rely for support from my co-workers. While I enjoyed the challenges I also enjoyed learning from my co-workers how they would solve each problem and interact with the customers. The management was great as he was continually looking for opportunities for me to expand my knowledge and experience within the company. The hardest part of my job would have been overcoming the challenges and finding the solutions for each customer. However, it was very satisfying when I found those solutions and was able to interact with the customer and fix their issues.
Pros
talking and interacting with customers all day
Cons
not enough calls to stay engaged all day

2.3