BC Hydro

• Salary/Benefits
good place to work
Driver Helper/Groundsman (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 13, 2014
Pros: good money
Had many good jobs over the years.No longer in the unuion and cant get back in because i have not got as drivers license.
Awesome!
Independent Consultant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 7, 2014
Management has a lot of trust in its engineers.

They are always there when required, excellent communications skills.

Hard work really pays off at this company.
Good Place to Work
Service and Design Assistant (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 6, 2014
BC Hydro has provided me a chance to get my career well on it way for what I want in my future.
The experience within the job has allowed me to gain skills to take further into any path I choose and the people are wonderful.
Due to "transformation", my career must come to an end at BC Hydro due to lay offs.

I will miss it dearly
Knowledgable people, good culture and benefits
employee (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 3, 2014
Pros: benefits, work life balance
Cons: room for advancement is very limited
still a good place to work, limited advancement. Benefits are good but coming more inline with other sectors.
Good
Tug Boat Labourer (Former Employee), Nakusp, BCMarch 11, 2014
Nice people. Good hours, Fun work. The hardest part is trying not to get wet.
No accountabilty, money wasted like crazy and an abundance of managers
Power Line Technician (Current Employee), Okanagan BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: lack of accountability is maddening
This company has one of the highest mental health disability rates in North America. No one is accountable for their actions. Every job is disorganized and it seems like there are more managers than workers! They are constantly rolling out new programs with little regard for the consequences or follow up from the last program rollout.

Generally as – more... individuals co-workers are great but toxic work environments are present throughout the company. Part of the problem with that is that managers are always looking to the new promotion instead of focusing on the people and departments they are tasked to manage.

The absolute hardest part of the job is the government involvement! They have handcuffed BC Hydro into terrible deals that make their corporate friends RICH!

It is also hard to go anywhere in public with Hydro vehicles or gear on because people are constantly making remarks at you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheque, plain and simple. – less
Strong Corporate and Business Culture
STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee), Vancouver BCFebruary 3, 2014
Excellent Corporation, strong on training and service excellence.
Variety of challenging work, positive co-workers
CONTRACT PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: good co-workers and benefits
Cons: some outdated systems, software
Challenging supply chain work, but lacks progressive tools/software. Current Contract Management software would be beneficial. Co-workers were friendly and hard-working people. Organization in continual state of flux - lacks stability and can appear disorganized at times. Positive corporate culture with good benefits.
Various work areas.
Occupational Health & Safety Specialist II (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCDecember 19, 2013
Ensure safety at various dams, substations and power lines.
awesome work place
Power-line Inspector (Former Employee), vancouver islandNovember 18, 2013
job was great worked outside all the time .the boss and crew were really nice and too time to teach me the right way to do things .
Great company with intelligent and hard-working employees.
Advisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 13, 2013
A utility with a proud history and highly capable staff. Fun culture and exciting projects underway.
Challenging and always on edge
Change Management Analyst (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 12, 2013
* A typical day at work could be standardizing a timesheet to be used across the province to creating a manually intensive report per KBU for the leadership teams or the weekly reporting to Project managers.
* Change Management and the best -practices in change management were a new concept to me. I also had to chance to enhance my project management – more... and business analysis skills
* hardest part of the job was to nail down the integrated stakeholder impact report, when the Program is winding down and change does not seem to stop but increase.
* Getting absorbed in my work (into a trance mode where I believe I work at optimum efficiency.) It feels good to accomplish it in time and get accolades for the good work. – less
A first class organization
Load Research Analyst (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCNovember 8, 2013
Pros: excitement of new discoveries in scientific research
Cons: organization is now in extreme cost-cutting mode
Most days were devoted to scientific research revealing new insights into the relationships between load research data and climate. Management and co-workers were supportive and enthusiastic about the research process. Scientific research is always 'hard' but that makes it enjoyable!
State Body
Project Analyst, Aboriginal Relations (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 13, 2013
Pros: nice office, great team
Cons: not permanent
Nice place to work, interesting history and undoubtedly an interesting future ahead. Currently a temp worker, so keeping my options open.
Great time but moved back home
Laborer (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCJuly 26, 2013
Awesome job would get a email saying where to dig a hydro poll hole and we would drive tot he spot on dig in down all by hand, awesome work out
Good Place to Work
Sr Informatica Developer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Versatile team player with excellent analytical, presentation and interpersonal skills with an aptitude to learn new technologies.
Solid time management and multitasking skills, which help in conducting project meetings, reviews, walkthroughs, and customer interviews according to the varied needs of the people involved
Excellent written and oral communication – more... skills and a team-player with a results-oriented attitude – less
Okay Pay...
"Tour Guide" (Former Employee), RevelstokeMay 14, 2013
Pros: good pay for not using your brain, lots of friendly tourists.
Cons: self guided tours, means sitting on a chair all day and taking money. no chance of growing with the company.boring job, it's a clock watcher!
The Most Boring job of my life. Repeat mode.... Everyday was ground hog day.

That being said. The pay was pretty good considering the staff dose nothing all day. I applied for a job to be a tour guide, but it's self guided tours...

If you are looking to not use any life skills, and sit in a chair all day and read magazines, then yes, this job could – more... be awesome for lazy people! – less
Excellent Company
Receptionist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 10, 2013
Pros: benefits, hrs, holiday, variety, staff, location, atmosphere, great coworkers and bosses.
Cons: too much sitting at my job, and too much typing on old typewriters not like the light touch keyboard of computers now.
I enjoyed working there as we were treated very well. There was a great deal of variety in my job, flexible hrs., wonderful holidays after 6 mos only, great benefits and great staff to work for and with.

I greeted customers, handed out work orders to the appropriate Residential Sales team after checking the map, answered a 20 line switchboard, sorted – more... and distributed mail to the first floor, typed many memos and letters, drew in new gas and electric services on scaled maps, put customers on the equal payment plan.and was in charge of ordering stationery supplies for our department. – less
Will hire you if you have a pulse!
Operator (Current Employee), Fort NelsonApril 4, 2013
Pros: government job
Cons: government job
Been here 4 years, still no change rooms! About 50% male to female ratio! No showers! Cant do dishes or prepare food from taps. Very high turnover, no proper training program in place. The pay system is not user friendly at all.

Good place to get firing time and then get out!
$2.5M facility expansion and turbine engine maintenance project for the BC Hydro Building in Fort Nelson.
Site Safety Advisor, QA/QC & Medic (Former Employee), Fort Nelson, BCMarch 21, 2013
Reporting to 2 Site Project Managers, delivered HSE services for up to 42 employees; entry-level safety position serving as an introduction to the safety profession; served as back-up medic on-site.