BC Hydro Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I had an exceptional career with BC Hydro in Vancouver for many for over 35 years. I retired from BC Hydro as I got married and moved to Kelowna.
Senior Pension and Benefits Advisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 13, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits and salary.
Cons: None
I worked with many levels of employees, retirees and senior management. I was responsible for many project such as privatization of certain areas as it related to pensions and benefits. I facilitated retirement and privatization seminars throughout the Province of BC on behalf of BC Hydro. I supervised an exceptional team of employees in the Pension and Benefits Department, anywhere between seven to fifteen employees depending on the project at hand. They were hard working and always willing to learn.

I truly enjoyed the interaction with many levels of management throughout BC Hydro.
A decent career close to home.
Utility Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee), Vancouver Island, B.C.October 13, 2015
Pros: Long term employees to learn from
Cons: Maintenance has little to offer for career satisfaction
As a maintenance Electrician with BCH, we isolate, clean, test, repair, oil sample, etc on most substation equipment like Large power transformers, breakers, disconnects, CT's, Synchronous Condensers and other protection and control equipment on our utility infrastructure. A great deal to learn and long term employees to learn from. An invaluable experience. BCH's management team thrives for excellence and can prove struggling with an aging infrastructure, however as a field worker, it opens doors for opportunities to take on small projects, work around the construction department crew and experience how an aging system becomes revitalized, once piece at a time.
Challenging but fun and lots of opportunities for growth.
Technical Support/Emergency Dispatch (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCSeptember 21, 2015
Responsible for customer moves, billing inquiries, credit and collection calls.
 Responsible for utility energy use, cost of energy for appliances, marketing campaigns.
 Responsible for power outage calls, emergency electric calls and always practiced the “one call resolution”.
 Displayed exceptional prioritizing and multi-tasking skills during Emergency calls
 Operated a multi-line telephone console system and alerting systems.
 Effectively asked questions to interpret, analyze and anticipate the caller’s situation as to resolve problems, provide information, dispatch emergency services, or refer callers to other agencies
great job just wish is was not a contract job
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee), Annacis, BCMarch 3, 2015
Pros: take breaks when ever you see fit
Cons: n/a
-installed smart meters for bc hydro
-gained plenty of customer service skills
-management was great when they were not fighting with one another
-worked solo so no coworkers but the other employees were great people
Constant re-org's and poor management
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 14, 2014
Pro:
- Good benefits
- Competitive salaries
- Work/ Life balance

Con:
- Advancement opportunities are limited
- Constant changes within the organization causing unnecessary confusion
- Job security is not as high as expected
- Strange management decisions, some constantly get promoted while cutting headcounts to stay "lean"
Senior Consultant
Senior Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver BCNovember 10, 2014
• Worked as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on WebSphere MQ, WebSphere Message Broker, CICS, DB2, Middleware, disaster recovery, emergency management and recovery procedure.
Excellent Employer
Information and Billing Manager (Former Employee), Kimberley/Cranbrook/ Coquitlam,BCNovember 3, 2014
Pros: recognition and encouragement. they invest in their employees.
Cons: relocation can be an issue.
If you want a career, this is one employer who will recognize your abilities and provide you with opportunity for advancement. They provide much 'in house' training, supplement external training and
encourage development. Benefits are excellent and opportunities are there if you are willing to relocate, sometimes to remote locations.
Toxic management
employee (Former Employee), BCOctober 28, 2014
Pros: good salary, good benefits. great days off.
Cons: managemnet deadly combination of arrogance and ignorance
Management Is Unorganized, Indecisive and obnoxious.

Not one of the Best Places to work in BC.

Has a reputation for being Toxic environment.

The Crews are great.
I have enjoyed many years working for BC Hydro
Electric Service Coordination Leader (Former Employee), Vernon, BCOctober 26, 2014
BC Hydro has provided me customer service, electrical and business experience that I will take with me on my new adventure.Thank you
Tour Guide Leader at The Power House at Stave Falls
Tour Guide Leader (Current Employee), Mission BCOctober 22, 2014
Pros: meeting new people from all over bc and the world.
I love this job. I love to explore the past and present of Stave Falls. My managers and my team are great. I learn something new every day. My favourite part of the job is when you teach children how power is made.
Administrator
Field Services Administrator (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: pay/benefits/time off
Cons: negative work environment; low morale; ineffective middle management
Many consider BC Hydro to be a "GREAT JOB". If you base this solely on salary, benefits and time off - indeed, you have arrived.

Many of Hydro's processes amount to knee-jerk, budget-driven bandaids, created by unprofessional management teams who couldn't execute a stop sign.

If you are looking for satisfying, challenging work, in a nurturing team-focused environment, keep looking. Ostrich-style management will keep you consistently frustrated, unsupported, bullied by your peers, and stripped of your sanity within the first year.
a great experiance
meter reader (Former Employee), prince george bcSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: mostly just dogs
lots of driving and walking. exellant training and leadership
Good benefits - poor culture.
Senior Procurement Advisor / Contract Manager (Former Employee), burnaby, BCJune 18, 2014
Pros: pay benefits
Management employees are numbers, not people.

they lock you in with golden handcuffs (good pay and benefits) but the work culture and the way they treat people is very poor.
good place to work
Driver Helper/Groundsman (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 13, 2014
Pros: good money
Had many good jobs over the years.No longer in the unuion and cant get back in because i have not got as drivers license.
Awesome!
Independent Consultant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 7, 2014
Management has a lot of trust in its engineers.

They are always there when required, excellent communications skills.

Hard work really pays off at this company.
Project Manager
Project/Research & Development Manager (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2014
I got to work with a great group of people working on green energy projects and ideas for the future, we go to build a business plan, propose our product and work on systems like auto CAD to visually demonstrate our product to the client. I would work with a group of 5 people we all prioritized tasks and worked as a group till our deadline.

This was a great experience of myself as I learned how to be a leader as well as a co worker with my fellow colleges
Good Place to Work
Service and Design Assistant (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 6, 2014
BC Hydro has provided me a chance to get my career well on it way for what I want in my future.
The experience within the job has allowed me to gain skills to take further into any path I choose and the people are wonderful.
Due to "transformation", my career must come to an end at BC Hydro due to lay offs.

I will miss it dearly
Knowledgable people, good culture and benefits
employee (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 3, 2014
Pros: benefits, work life balance
Cons: room for advancement is very limited
still a good place to work, limited advancement. Benefits are good but coming more inline with other sectors.
Good
Tug Boat Labourer (Former Employee), Nakusp, BCMarch 11, 2014
Nice people. Good hours, Fun work. The hardest part is trying not to get wet.
No accountabilty, money wasted like crazy and an abundance of managers
Power Line Technician (Current Employee), Okanagan BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: lack of accountability is maddening
This company has one of the highest mental health disability rates in North America. No one is accountable for their actions. Every job is disorganized and it seems like there are more managers than workers! They are constantly rolling out new programs with little regard for the consequences or follow up from the last program rollout.

Generally as individuals co-workers are great but toxic work environments are present throughout the company. Part of the problem with that is that managers are always looking to the new promotion instead of focusing on the people and departments they are tasked to manage.

The absolute hardest part of the job is the government involvement! They have handcuffed BC Hydro into terrible deals that make their corporate friends RICH!

It is also hard to go anywhere in public with Hydro vehicles or gear on because people are constantly making remarks at you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheque, plain and simple.