BC Hydro Employee Reviews

Still developing
Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 December 2016
Typical day at work involves mostly human-computer interface interaction in a master-slave review process. Centralized management makes change constantly while persuasive communication is a challenge like no other. Co-workers are a valued resource for navigating the work flows and undervalued as reviewing resource. The hardest part of the job is the demand of new customer work. The most enjoyable part is the human to human interaction to empower business and communities.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
challenged persuasive influence
Interesting work and a great work life balance.
Electrical Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 August 2016
Benefits are great, salary is average. Not a ton of opportunity for significant advancement or salary increase but very stable and secure. The work is interesting and always changing. People are helpful and friendly. The work life balance is about as good as it gets - lots of vacation time and available flex time. A fantastic company to work for,
Pros
Very secure and great work life balance
Cons
Difficult to get promoted/salary increases
If you want security in a job and can tolerate the corporate culture this is for you.
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2016
Hydro has the typical corporate culture with all it's limitations & frustrations.

As with many companies there is about 15% of the people doing 85% of the work.

Politics are a daily reality but if you are willing to compromise you will be able to fit in.

The few stalwart employees who give 100% are what makes BC Hydro work & keep the lights on.
Unfortunately they are mired with multiple layers of management who need weekly reports from those actually doing the work.
Pros
There are some very skilled and competent engineers but not as many as needed.
Cons
Inexperienced & Inept management at many levels
Great job
Records and Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 August 2016
Great company to work for good work life balance support of staff great environment.
excellent people, great environgment.
Pros
All good
Cons
More job stability
Great work life balance environment
Contract Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2016
Great work life balance; no overtimes, great to plan your life around; great people and fascinating environment to learn
Highly Technical & Very Productive Company
Capital Project Manager - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2016
Great company to work for! A good culture of professional people and technical staff that keep us in the light everyday! I would enjoy working for them on a permanent base any day!
I had an exceptional career with BC Hydro in Vancouver for many for over 35 years. I retired from BC Hydro as I got married and moved to Kelowna.
Senior Pension and Benefits Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2015
I worked with many levels of employees, retirees and senior management. I was responsible for many project such as privatization of certain areas as it related to pensions and benefits. I facilitated retirement and privatization seminars throughout the Province of BC on behalf of BC Hydro. I supervised an exceptional team of employees in the Pension and Benefits Department, anywhere between seven to fifteen employees depending on the project at hand. They were hard working and always willing to learn.

I truly enjoyed the interaction with many levels of management throughout BC Hydro.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary.
Cons
A decent career close to home.
Utility Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, B.C.13 October 2015
As a maintenance Electrician with BCH, we isolate, clean, test, repair, oil sample, etc on most substation equipment like Large power transformers, breakers, disconnects, CT's, Synchronous Condensers and other protection and control equipment on our utility infrastructure. A great deal to learn and long term employees to learn from. An invaluable experience. BCH's management team thrives for excellence and can prove struggling with an aging infrastructure, however as a field worker, it opens doors for opportunities to take on small projects, work around the construction department crew and experience how an aging system becomes revitalized, once piece at a time.
Pros
Long term employees to learn from
Cons
Maintenance has little to offer for career satisfaction
Challenging but fun and lots of opportunities for growth.
Technical Support/Emergency Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 September 2015
Responsible for customer moves, billing inquiries, credit and collection calls.
 Responsible for utility energy use, cost of energy for appliances, marketing campaigns.
 Responsible for power outage calls, emergency electric calls and always practiced the “one call resolution”.
 Displayed exceptional prioritizing and multi-tasking skills during Emergency calls
 Operated a multi-line telephone console system and alerting systems.
 Effectively asked questions to interpret, analyze and anticipate the caller’s situation as to resolve problems, provide information, dispatch emergency services, or refer callers to other agencies
Fast paced and enjoyable workplace.
Project Support Team / Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2015
My typical day would involve managing and procuring the needs of a busy and vibrant office environment. I learned much about how the company operates and how it is internally organised.
Excellent Employer
Information and Billing Manager (Former Employee) –  Kimberley/Cranbrook/ Coquitlam,BC3 November 2014
If you want a career, this is one employer who will recognize your abilities and provide you with opportunity for advancement. They provide much 'in house' training, supplement external training and
encourage development. Benefits are excellent and opportunities are there if you are willing to relocate, sometimes to remote locations.
Pros
Recognition and encouragement. They invest in their employees.
Cons
Relocation can be an issue.
Administrator
Field Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC16 September 2014
Many consider BC Hydro to be a "GREAT JOB". If you base this solely on salary, benefits and time off - indeed, you have arrived.

Many of Hydro's processes amount to knee-jerk, budget-driven bandaids, created by unprofessional management teams who couldn't execute a stop sign.

If you are looking for satisfying, challenging work, in a nurturing team-focused environment, keep looking. Ostrich-style management will keep you consistently frustrated, unsupported, bullied by your peers, and stripped of your sanity within the first year.
Pros
Pay/Benefits/Time off
Cons
Negative work environment; low morale; ineffective middle management
Project Manager
Project/Research & Development Manager (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 May 2014
I got to work with a great group of people working on green energy projects and ideas for the future, we go to build a business plan, propose our product and work on systems like auto CAD to visually demonstrate our product to the client. I would work with a group of 5 people we all prioritized tasks and worked as a group till our deadline.

This was a great experience of myself as I learned how to be a leader as well as a co worker with my fellow colleges
Very statisfying job however alot of red tape
Sr. Engineer (Mechanical Maintenance Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC10 August 2012
very dynamic work environment and I learned a lot of my experience in the power plants. The management is somehow conservative, due to being crown corporation but overall it maintain the minimum standards the same is applicable on the employees. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the plant availability during the winter and the immediate repairs for breakdowns in that season. The most enjoyable part is building people relation
Okay Pay...
"Tour Guide" (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke14 May 2013
The Most Boring job of my life. Repeat mode.... Everyday was ground hog day.

That being said. The pay was pretty good considering the staff dose nothing all day. I applied for a job to be a tour guide, but it's self guided tours...

If you are looking to not use any life skills, and sit in a chair all day and read magazines, then yes, this job could be awesome for lazy people!

Pros
Good pay for not using your brain, lots of friendly tourists.
Cons
Self guided tours, means sitting on a chair all day and taking money. No chance of growing with the company.Boring job, It's a clock watcher!
Good Place to Work
Sr Informatica Developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2013
Versatile team player with excellent analytical, presentation and interpersonal skills with an aptitude to learn new technologies.
Solid time management and multitasking skills, which help in conducting project meetings, reviews, walkthroughs, and customer interviews according to the varied needs of the people involved
Excellent written and oral communication skills and a team-player with a results-oriented attitude
Variety of challenging work, positive co-workers
CONTRACT PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 January 2014
Challenging supply chain work, but lacks progressive tools/software. Current Contract Management software would be beneficial. Co-workers were friendly and hard-working people. Organization in continual state of flux - lacks stability and can appear disorganized at times. Positive corporate culture with good benefits.
Pros
Good co-workers and benefits
Cons
Some outdated systems, software
Challenging and always on edge
Change Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 November 2013
* A typical day at work could be standardizing a timesheet to be used across the province to creating a manually intensive report per KBU for the leadership teams or the weekly reporting to Project managers.
* Change Management and the best -practices in change management were a new concept to me. I also had to chance to enhance my project management and business analysis skills
* hardest part of the job was to nail down the integrated stakeholder impact report, when the Program is winding down and change does not seem to stop but increase.
* Getting absorbed in my work (into a trance mode where I believe I work at optimum efficiency.) It feels good to accomplish it in time and get accolades for the good work.
A first class organization
Load Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 November 2013
Most days were devoted to scientific research revealing new insights into the relationships between load research data and climate. Management and co-workers were supportive and enthusiastic about the research process. Scientific research is always 'hard' but that makes it enjoyable!
Pros
Excitement of new discoveries in scientific research
Cons
Organization is now in extreme cost-cutting mode
Interesting environment but very controlled by the Government
Senior Advisor, Internal and External Relations (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 June 2012
Used to be a great organization. Not so much anymore. Very, very political - promotions are more about politics than skill or competence.
Pros
good compensation package and very flexible and supportive of work life balance
Cons
declining budgets result in no money to invest in employees, meaningful work is contracted out to consultants.

4.2