BC Hydro Employee Reviews

Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2018
BC Hydro is a great place to work. It provides a great work/life balance at most departments, salary is average (maybe slightly below average), but very good benefits.
It is a public company. Concerns about the media, and over burden with red tape are part of the day and may represent a problem for a few people.
As any other company, there are good and bad managers. You must try to stay away from the bad ones.
Pros
Lot of time off, good benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy, politics
Good management style
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby and Mission BC12 December 2017
Company was trying to transition to a new type of contract management which focused on a team approach involving Contract, Field Management and Project controls.
Was not a big fan
Vancouver, BC - Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 November 2017
Worked here for over 2 years. This place lacks heart or drive for anything innovative. Culture is too risk averse and CYA. The one upside here is they buy the latest and greatest of tech albeit at the tax payers expense but execution is tardy with no real vision
Pros
New Technologies
Cons
everything else...
great
IT Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 November 2017
overall is good, many great people here, company is productive and profitable, cultrure is great, people here are nice and there are great working environment
Enjoyable and fun at all times
Buntzen lake park employee (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC20 November 2017
Working outdoors is always enjoyable no mattwer what the weather. the employees are all kind and caring towards your health and happiness. It enjoyable at all times and both being around and assisting park usesrs and fellow employees.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
comute
Suck up and you will be fine
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hydro, BC31 October 2017
Micro Management
Old thinking and resistant to change
Typical to hear Hydro is different and this will not work as opposed to accepting and adopting
Not a health workplace despite the benefits
Pros
Cons
Need more then the allotted space :(
Not my dream job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2017
The company is HUGE. The largest I had ever worked for. It was too big for me. Everything seemed to move at a snail's space. Lots of red tape to get through. Super great co workers thought. Amazing benefits!
Pros
great benefits!
Cons
boring
Always a new challenge
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2017
BC Hydro is perpetually changing. If you can manage to weather the storm during tough times, this is a great place to work that offers many challenges and opportunities to learn and grow!
Productive place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB14 July 2017
BC Hydro was a productive and efficient place to work and i suggest others to look for work in that area.
a typical day at work would start out us waking up at 6 o clock in the morning and getting ready for the day
Lunches packed and ready to go
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lazy work hours
productive work days
custodian (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC10 July 2017
You start work at 8am and work tell 4pm
Your not pushed to work hard
They don't increase your or put you into better paying job
They do pay for any courses they require or want you to take
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor job security
Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2017
proceurement and contract management.
contract change management
contract prepartion
coordination with engineer and construction manager
coordination with AP
Technical Excellence
Chief Information Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada20 June 2017
Technical excellence underpins most project work and will require detail and reviews to ensure work meet documented standards. Like most large utilities, formal procedures have been developed and must be adhered to for all project work exceeding a certain threshold.
Opportunity to have learned many skills
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Okanagan Falls, BC6 June 2017
I always thought of BC Hydro as my company so I believe I worked most days to the best of my abilities. I was very fortunate to have the best bosses in BC Hydro who not only were my boss but became friends. I had an assortment of jobs and enjoyed and learned very many skills that I still use today. Customer Service was a very big part of my job dealing with Hydro employees and outside Hydro contractors. I worked mostly with Tradesmen, so learned many things by listening to them in their conversations. The constant changing of ideas, focus on business models was the most challenging. The people were the most enjoyable part of my job, learning about their families what made them tick, how I could help them in their jobs.
Pros
Training and Pension Plan
A lot of politics
Consultant Civil/Structural Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2017
Being a crown corporation is very much influenced by the provincial government policies. When provincial government change some of policies are reversed.
Its a great environment to work at.
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
A typical day at work starts early morning with people coming in the building. If they forget their access cards, they come to the desk and ask for a temporary card. If guests come in the building they have to sign in a visitor card.
Comfortable, supportive, interactive
Design Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC5 May 2017
I have learned a lot during my time with BC Hydro and will be staying with them for a long time. They are the most supportive group I have worked with and I enjoy the days I get to spend with my team.

It is nice to know I can count on those I work with and that I have a company behind me that is reliable.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stigma around government issues
Great environment
Energy Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 March 2017
I WAS NOT EMPLOYED DIRECTLY BY BC HYDRO but rather a part of the energy ambassador program.
The program itself was full of youth who were excited to help make the world a better place
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Monotonous meetings
Provide Assessment Report for new standards
Reliability Compliance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 March 2017
Reviewing new standards to be adapted.
Communicate with subject mater experts for system impact of adapting new standards.
Pros
Strong connection with the BC Hydro employees
Cons
Long Working Hours.
Amazing Company *****
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2017
Hydro is a driven, affluent and prosperous company to work for. I've enjoyed the workload and fast paced environment. I enjoy working independently, or in a team.
Productive and fun workplace
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC23 February 2017
The workplace was fun and safe. Communication and technical skills were improved. Tours began at 10 am and ended at 4 pm. Many tasks were carried out such as inputting inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was conversing with many visitors that come across from many parts of the world.
Pros
Good benefits, training and compensation.
Cons
Not enough employees when an individual calls in sick.