BC Hydro Employee Reviews

Comfortable, supportive, interactive
Design Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC5 May 2017
I have learned a lot during my time with BC Hydro and will be staying with them for a long time. They are the most supportive group I have worked with and I enjoy the days I get to spend with my team.

It is nice to know I can count on those I work with and that I have a company behind me that is reliable.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stigma around government issues
Great environment
Energy Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 March 2017
I WAS NOT EMPLOYED DIRECTLY BY BC HYDRO but rather a part of the energy ambassador program.
The program itself was full of youth who were excited to help make the world a better place
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Monotonous meetings
Provide Assessment Report for new standards
Reliability Compliance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 March 2017
Reviewing new standards to be adapted.
Communicate with subject mater experts for system impact of adapting new standards.
Pros
Strong connection with the BC Hydro employees
Cons
Long Working Hours.
Amazing Company *****
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2017
Hydro is a driven, affluent and prosperous company to work for. I've enjoyed the workload and fast paced environment. I enjoy working independently, or in a team.
Productive and fun workplace
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC23 February 2017
The workplace was fun and safe. Communication and technical skills were improved. Tours began at 10 am and ended at 4 pm. Many tasks were carried out such as inputting inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was conversing with many visitors that come across from many parts of the world.
Pros
Good benefits, training and compensation.
Cons
Not enough employees when an individual calls in sick.
Great Experience
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2017
Good working conditions. Friendly, cooperative, collaborative staff and management. Good in-house training. Excellent information system and all tools to handle the work effectively were provided.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Good work place
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2017
Good work place and lots of learning opportunities were available. Co-workers were the best and very knowledgeable, and management was very supportive of career advancement.
Pros
Career growth
Cons
Government meddling
Still developing
Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 December 2016
Typical day at work involves mostly human-computer interface interaction in a master-slave review process. Centralized management makes change constantly while persuasive communication is a challenge like no other. Co-workers are a valued resource for navigating the work flows and undervalued as reviewing resource. The hardest part of the job is the demand of new customer work. The most enjoyable part is the human to human interaction to empower business and communities.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
challenged persuasive influence
Interesting work and a great work life balance.
Electrical Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 August 2016
Benefits are great, salary is average. Not a ton of opportunity for significant advancement or salary increase but very stable and secure. The work is interesting and always changing. People are helpful and friendly. The work life balance is about as good as it gets - lots of vacation time and available flex time. A fantastic company to work for,
Pros
Very secure and great work life balance
Cons
Difficult to get promoted/salary increases
If you want security in a job and can tolerate the corporate culture this is for you.
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2016
Hydro has the typical corporate culture with all it's limitations & frustrations.

As with many companies there is about 15% of the people doing 85% of the work.

Politics are a daily reality but if you are willing to compromise you will be able to fit in.

The few stalwart employees who give 100% are what makes BC Hydro work & keep the lights on.
Unfortunately they are mired with multiple layers of management who need weekly reports from those actually doing the work.
Pros
There are some very skilled and competent engineers but not as many as needed.
Cons
Inexperienced & Inept management at many levels
Great job
Records and Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 August 2016
Great company to work for good work life balance support of staff great environment.
excellent people, great environgment.
Pros
All good
Cons
More job stability
BC Hydro is a place where respect and equality exists.
Engineering Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 May 2016
Management is very supportive of suggestions. A management that listens to every workers' need. Co-workers are fun to be with and very supportive of newcomers.
Great work life balance environment
Contract Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2016
Great work life balance; no overtimes, great to plan your life around; great people and fascinating environment to learn
Highly Technical & Very Productive Company
Capital Project Manager - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2016
Great company to work for! A good culture of professional people and technical staff that keep us in the light everyday! I would enjoy working for them on a permanent base any day!
Fast paced and enjoyable workplace.
Project Support Team / Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2015
My typical day would involve managing and procuring the needs of a busy and vibrant office environment. I learned much about how the company operates and how it is internally organised.
Approved on my cleaning skills
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 November 2015
The atmosphere there was alive and rich. The people there treated me with endless supply of kindness. I am glad that I got to volunteer at a place such as BC hydro.
Pros
Take breaks whenever
Cons
Had many different jobs that require lots of energy
I had an exceptional career with BC Hydro in Vancouver for many for over 35 years. I retired from BC Hydro as I got married and moved to Kelowna.
Senior Pension and Benefits Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2015
I worked with many levels of employees, retirees and senior management. I was responsible for many project such as privatization of certain areas as it related to pensions and benefits. I facilitated retirement and privatization seminars throughout the Province of BC on behalf of BC Hydro. I supervised an exceptional team of employees in the Pension and Benefits Department, anywhere between seven to fifteen employees depending on the project at hand. They were hard working and always willing to learn.

I truly enjoyed the interaction with many levels of management throughout BC Hydro.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary.
Cons
A decent career close to home.
Utility Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, B.C.13 October 2015
As a maintenance Electrician with BCH, we isolate, clean, test, repair, oil sample, etc on most substation equipment like Large power transformers, breakers, disconnects, CT's, Synchronous Condensers and other protection and control equipment on our utility infrastructure. A great deal to learn and long term employees to learn from. An invaluable experience. BCH's management team thrives for excellence and can prove struggling with an aging infrastructure, however as a field worker, it opens doors for opportunities to take on small projects, work around the construction department crew and experience how an aging system becomes revitalized, once piece at a time.
Pros
Long term employees to learn from
Cons
Maintenance has little to offer for career satisfaction
Challenging but fun and lots of opportunities for growth.
Technical Support/Emergency Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 September 2015
Responsible for customer moves, billing inquiries, credit and collection calls.
 Responsible for utility energy use, cost of energy for appliances, marketing campaigns.
 Responsible for power outage calls, emergency electric calls and always practiced the “one call resolution”.
 Displayed exceptional prioritizing and multi-tasking skills during Emergency calls
 Operated a multi-line telephone console system and alerting systems.
 Effectively asked questions to interpret, analyze and anticipate the caller’s situation as to resolve problems, provide information, dispatch emergency services, or refer callers to other agencies
Short job, but lots of experience
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Seymour Arm, BC6 September 2015
Remote location with limited resources, but I we got the job done safely and on time. This was a BC Hydro site but it was subcontracted to Western Pacific Ent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Hydro. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3