BC Hydro Employee Reviews

Suck up and you will be fine
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hydro, BC31 October 2017
Micro Management
Old thinking and resistant to change
Typical to hear Hydro is different and this will not work as opposed to accepting and adopting
Not a health workplace despite the benefits
Pros
Cons
Need more then the allotted space :(
Not my dream job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2017
The company is HUGE. The largest I had ever worked for. It was too big for me. Everything seemed to move at a snail's space. Lots of red tape to get through. Super great co workers thought. Amazing benefits!
Pros
great benefits!
Cons
boring
Productive place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB14 July 2017
BC Hydro was a productive and efficient place to work and i suggest others to look for work in that area.
a typical day at work would start out us waking up at 6 o clock in the morning and getting ready for the day
Lunches packed and ready to go
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lazy work hours
productive work days
custodian (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC10 July 2017
You start work at 8am and work tell 4pm
Your not pushed to work hard
They don't increase your or put you into better paying job
They do pay for any courses they require or want you to take
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor job security
Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2017
proceurement and contract management.
contract change management
contract prepartion
coordination with engineer and construction manager
coordination with AP
Technical Excellence
Chief Information Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada20 June 2017
Technical excellence underpins most project work and will require detail and reviews to ensure work meet documented standards. Like most large utilities, formal procedures have been developed and must be adhered to for all project work exceeding a certain threshold.
Opportunity to have learned many skills
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Okanagan Falls, BC6 June 2017
I always thought of BC Hydro as my company so I believe I worked most days to the best of my abilities. I was very fortunate to have the best bosses in BC Hydro who not only were my boss but became friends. I had an assortment of jobs and enjoyed and learned very many skills that I still use today. Customer Service was a very big part of my job dealing with Hydro employees and outside Hydro contractors. I worked mostly with Tradesmen, so learned many things by listening to them in their conversations. The constant changing of ideas, focus on business models was the most challenging. The people were the most enjoyable part of my job, learning about their families what made them tick, how I could help them in their jobs.
Pros
Training and Pension Plan
A lot of politics
Consultant Civil/Structural Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2017
Being a crown corporation is very much influenced by the provincial government policies. When provincial government change some of policies are reversed.
Its a great environment to work at.
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
A typical day at work starts early morning with people coming in the building. If they forget their access cards, they come to the desk and ask for a temporary card. If guests come in the building they have to sign in a visitor card.
Comfortable, supportive, interactive
Design Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC5 May 2017
I have learned a lot during my time with BC Hydro and will be staying with them for a long time. They are the most supportive group I have worked with and I enjoy the days I get to spend with my team.

It is nice to know I can count on those I work with and that I have a company behind me that is reliable.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stigma around government issues
Great environment
Energy Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 March 2017
I WAS NOT EMPLOYED DIRECTLY BY BC HYDRO but rather a part of the energy ambassador program.
The program itself was full of youth who were excited to help make the world a better place
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Monotonous meetings
Provide Assessment Report for new standards
Reliability Compliance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 March 2017
Reviewing new standards to be adapted.
Communicate with subject mater experts for system impact of adapting new standards.
Pros
Strong connection with the BC Hydro employees
Cons
Long Working Hours.
Amazing Company *****
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2017
Hydro is a driven, affluent and prosperous company to work for. I've enjoyed the workload and fast paced environment. I enjoy working independently, or in a team.
Productive and fun workplace
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC23 February 2017
The workplace was fun and safe. Communication and technical skills were improved. Tours began at 10 am and ended at 4 pm. Many tasks were carried out such as inputting inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was conversing with many visitors that come across from many parts of the world.
Pros
Good benefits, training and compensation.
Cons
Not enough employees when an individual calls in sick.
Great Experience
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2017
Good working conditions. Friendly, cooperative, collaborative staff and management. Good in-house training. Excellent information system and all tools to handle the work effectively were provided.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Good work place
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2017
Good work place and lots of learning opportunities were available. Co-workers were the best and very knowledgeable, and management was very supportive of career advancement.
Pros
Career growth
Cons
Government meddling
Still developing
Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 December 2016
Typical day at work involves mostly human-computer interface interaction in a master-slave review process. Centralized management makes change constantly while persuasive communication is a challenge like no other. Co-workers are a valued resource for navigating the work flows and undervalued as reviewing resource. The hardest part of the job is the demand of new customer work. The most enjoyable part is the human to human interaction to empower business and communities.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
challenged persuasive influence
Interesting work and a great work life balance.
Electrical Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 August 2016
Benefits are great, salary is average. Not a ton of opportunity for significant advancement or salary increase but very stable and secure. The work is interesting and always changing. People are helpful and friendly. The work life balance is about as good as it gets - lots of vacation time and available flex time. A fantastic company to work for,
Pros
Very secure and great work life balance
Cons
Difficult to get promoted/salary increases
If you want security in a job and can tolerate the corporate culture this is for you.
Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2016
Hydro has the typical corporate culture with all it's limitations & frustrations.

As with many companies there is about 15% of the people doing 85% of the work.

Politics are a daily reality but if you are willing to compromise you will be able to fit in.

The few stalwart employees who give 100% are what makes BC Hydro work & keep the lights on.
Unfortunately they are mired with multiple layers of management who need weekly reports from those actually doing the work.
Pros
There are some very skilled and competent engineers but not as many as needed.
Cons
Inexperienced & Inept management at many levels
Great job
Records and Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 August 2016
Great company to work for good work life balance support of staff great environment.
excellent people, great environgment.
Pros
All good
Cons
More job stability