BC Hydro

BC Hydro Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Senior Consultant
Senior Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver BCNovember 10, 2014
• Worked as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on WebSphere MQ, WebSphere Message Broker, CICS, DB2, Middleware, disaster recovery, emergency management and recovery procedure.
Excellent Employer
Information and Billing Manager (Former Employee), Kimberley/Cranbrook/ Coquitlam,BCNovember 3, 2014
Pros: recognition and encouragement. they invest in their employees.
Cons: relocation can be an issue.
If you want a career, this is one employer who will recognize your abilities and provide you with opportunity for advancement. They provide much 'in house' training, supplement external training and
encourage development. Benefits are excellent and opportunities are there if you are willing to relocate, sometimes to remote locations.
Toxic management
employee (Former Employee), BCOctober 28, 2014
Pros: good salary, good benefits. great days off.
Cons: managemnet deadly combination of arrogance and ignorance
Management Is Unorganized, Indecisive and obnoxious.

Not one of the Best Places to work in BC.

Has a reputation for being Toxic environment.

The Crews are great.
I have enjoyed many years working for BC Hydro
Electric Service Coordination Leader (Former Employee), Vernon, BCOctober 26, 2014
BC Hydro has provided me customer service, electrical and business experience that I will take with me on my new adventure.Thank you
Tour Guide Leader at The Power House at Stave Falls
Tour Guide Leader (Current Employee), Mission BCOctober 22, 2014
Pros: meeting new people from all over bc and the world.
I love this job. I love to explore the past and present of Stave Falls. My managers and my team are great. I learn something new every day. My favourite part of the job is when you teach children how power is made.
Administrator
Field Services Administrator (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: pay/benefits/time off
Cons: negative work environment; low morale; ineffective middle management
Many consider BC Hydro to be a "GREAT JOB". If you base this solely on salary, benefits and time off - indeed, you have arrived.

Many of Hydro's processes amount to knee-jerk, budget-driven bandaids, created by unprofessional management teams who couldn't execute a stop sign.

If you are looking for satisfying, challenging work, in a nurturing team-focused – more... environment, keep looking. Ostrich-style management will keep you consistently frustrated, unsupported, bullied by your peers, and stripped of your sanity within the first year. – less
a great experiance
meter reader (Former Employee), prince george bcSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: mostly just dogs
lots of driving and walking. exellant training and leadership
Good benefits - poor culture.
Senior Procurement Advisor / Contract Manager (Former Employee), burnaby, BCJune 18, 2014
Pros: pay benefits
Management employees are numbers, not people.

they lock you in with golden handcuffs (good pay and benefits) but the work culture and the way they treat people is very poor.
good place to work
Driver Helper/Groundsman (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 13, 2014
Pros: good money
Had many good jobs over the years.No longer in the unuion and cant get back in because i have not got as drivers license.
Awesome!
Independent Consultant (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJune 7, 2014
Management has a lot of trust in its engineers.

They are always there when required, excellent communications skills.

Hard work really pays off at this company.
Project Manager
Project/Research & Development Manager (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2014
I got to work with a great group of people working on green energy projects and ideas for the future, we go to build a business plan, propose our product and work on systems like auto CAD to visually demonstrate our product to the client. I would work with a group of 5 people we all prioritized tasks and worked as a group till our deadline.

This was – more... a great experience of myself as I learned how to be a leader as well as a co worker with my fellow colleges – less
Good Place to Work
Service and Design Assistant (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 6, 2014
BC Hydro has provided me a chance to get my career well on it way for what I want in my future.
The experience within the job has allowed me to gain skills to take further into any path I choose and the people are wonderful.
Due to "transformation", my career must come to an end at BC Hydro due to lay offs.

I will miss it dearly
Knowledgable people, good culture and benefits
employee (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 3, 2014
Pros: benefits, work life balance
Cons: room for advancement is very limited
still a good place to work, limited advancement. Benefits are good but coming more inline with other sectors.
Good
Tug Boat Labourer (Former Employee), Nakusp, BCMarch 11, 2014
Nice people. Good hours, Fun work. The hardest part is trying not to get wet.
No accountabilty, money wasted like crazy and an abundance of managers
Power Line Technician (Current Employee), Okanagan BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: lack of accountability is maddening
This company has one of the highest mental health disability rates in North America. No one is accountable for their actions. Every job is disorganized and it seems like there are more managers than workers! They are constantly rolling out new programs with little regard for the consequences or follow up from the last program rollout.

Generally as – more... individuals co-workers are great but toxic work environments are present throughout the company. Part of the problem with that is that managers are always looking to the new promotion instead of focusing on the people and departments they are tasked to manage.

The absolute hardest part of the job is the government involvement! They have handcuffed BC Hydro into terrible deals that make their corporate friends RICH!

It is also hard to go anywhere in public with Hydro vehicles or gear on because people are constantly making remarks at you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheque, plain and simple. – less
Strong Corporate and Business Culture
STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee), Vancouver BCFebruary 3, 2014
Excellent Corporation, strong on training and service excellence.
Good
Business Analyst - Asset Mgt and Master Data (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: .
Cons: .
Great project and leadership team.
Interesting project with lots of potential for business improvement
Variety of challenging work, positive co-workers
CONTRACT PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: good co-workers and benefits
Cons: some outdated systems, software
Challenging supply chain work, but lacks progressive tools/software. Current Contract Management software would be beneficial. Co-workers were friendly and hard-working people. Organization in continual state of flux - lacks stability and can appear disorganized at times. Positive corporate culture with good benefits.
Various work areas.
Occupational Health & Safety Specialist II (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCDecember 19, 2013
Ensure safety at various dams, substations and power lines.
Productive and fun work place
Engineering Services Clerk, Civil Design (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2013
While working closely/personally with 25 engineers it was fun and fast paced. I learned something new everyday while formatting their reports/documents. Management and supervisors were always happy and excited to help. Co-workers came to me in any needs of assistance.

1 2 3