BC Ferries Employee Reviews

great job
Warehouseman (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC14 July 2017
Try to get enough hours or take opportunity for advancement. good benefits if you can get the hours in. Cross training and multiple sites location is great way to get more time in. Try to get on fulltime, start as a casual on call basis.
Pros
close to home
Cons
low hours
toxic work environment
Deckhand Bridgewatchman (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 June 2017
poorly trained line managers with little or no supervisory skills. Human Resources are based on a 1930's US vs THEM style which leaves little on no ability to work in harmony with rank and file membership.
Pros
being at sea
Cons
poor management, confrontational
BC ferries provides high paying jobs but unfortunately work is not consistent.
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Swartz Bay, BC8 April 2017
BC Ferries is a great job I interact with people all day. I have been trained and acquired a multitude of new skills on the job. I really enjoy working there.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Unsteady hours
Not a great place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC22 March 2017
i would never tell anyone to work here. It takes a very long time to get enough hours to make money and live. As your on call for the first 4 or 5 years minimum. Don't work here EVER
Pros
no pros
Cons
to many to list
very good company to work for
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 February 2017
very good company to work for and the work place was fun and hard eviroment very fun and easy is working with nice staff and the hardest is lifting heavy stuff
Pros
fast pasted
Cons
getting hurt on job
worked with some good people.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  British Columbia22 February 2017
busy work, sometimes greasy. Good benefits package. Some changes with management that went awry, Sometimes a poor morale as a result. Odd shifts that sometimes played havoc with sleep, home life.
Pros
free ferry passage
Cons
shift work
Great place to work and great pay but hard to have a social life while working there
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Horseshoe Bay, BC8 February 2017
I was a cashier and a typical day was either selling the tickets for walk-ons or selling tickets for cars. It was great having a full time job and HR was very nice but since you are on call it's hard to have a social life and even if you get a schedule it is subject to change-and it does.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
on call
People make or break any organization
3rd Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 February 2017
People make or break any organization and BC Ferries is no different. There are some extremely hard working dedicated people working there and it has as such been a pleasure to be a part of that.
Pros
50% off food, travel pass.
Cons
Engineering is 24/7 show hence shiftwork, challenging 12/6 3 shift rotation.
Beware... Turn Back!! Stop!!
Terminal operations (Current Employee) –  British Columbia14 November 2016
Benefits suck, Pay does not equal cost of living, pension is okay, union is horrible no strength. Crewing a horrible inconsiderate nightmare; you're a pawn. Management bullies staff, shift work takes years off life, BC Ferries own you, family is second. << Want that? Go get it!
Pros
Pension
Cons
Read above
If you want to work in a company that gives you plenty of time to pursue your own interests this may be the job you looking for.
Industrial Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Horseshoe Bay, BC29 October 2016
If you are a tradesman and looking for a low stress, secure working environment this may be the job for you. Terminal Maintenance works a 4 day 34 hour work week with no shift work. Although our hourly rate ( +/- $ 36 per hour) is on par with industry the 34 hour week could be the deal breaker. Our work day can be very disjointed, because we work around ship schedules. So if you are someone who does not like disruption when working this may be something to consider. Also a lot of our bigger projects are done at night after the ships stop sailing. Like in any large union company when asked about management the response can vary from person to person. In my personal opinion I think we have it pretty good. Keep in mind my review pertains to Terminal Maintenance which consists of Millwrights, Welders, Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, Bridgman and Painters. If you are someone who is looking for a job that gives you more personal time or are wanting to finish your career in a secure slower paced environment, this may be a job to consider.
Pros
Four day work week, No shift work, Lots of vacation time
Cons
Politics, Night work (At times) work variety

Want to know more about BC Ferries?

Ask a question
Productive and Fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 October 2016
I have had an amazing time working for the BC Ferries and look forward to continuing with seasonal employment. The ferries is an amazing place to work whether you are a student looking for seasonal work, or someone looking for career opportunities.
Fun place to work. Good Management
First Aid Attendant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
Fun environment. Not much room for advancement. Good training. Amazing people to work with. Pay minimal. Good management.
Fun workplace with awesome location.
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC30 August 2016
As a Customer Service Attendant, I could be working in the cafeteria, buffet, galley or cleaner. I enjoy having the difference opportunities that comes with each job. Working at the ferries was never repetitive, and I got to make a lot of great connections and friends with my co-workers. I learned the safety regulations mandated by Transport Canada, and recently helped in an actual emergency on board. I also learned about how a large corporation works keeps their employees organized. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was working with such awesome co-workers and seeing the beautiful Gulf Islands every day. Seeing orcas from time to time was also a plus.
Pros
enjoyable work, beautiful location
Cons
on-call/casual employment made it hard to have a social life
productive
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 June 2016
Greeting and dealing with the general public can very STRESS FULL!! Co-workers for the most part are very helpful and easy to get along with. Most enjoyable part of the job payday!!
Pros
Benifts
Excellent teams of driven people, low company cohesion
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 June 2016
Excellent co-workers; friendly and ideal teams.

Management was friendly and cooperative, but very out of touch with the frontline.

Hardest part was reporting to management in terms they would appreciate and understand.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I met along the way.
Pros
Free lunches, friendly people, excellent teamwork
Cons
unappreciated overtime, poor resource allocation and acquisition, friendly but poor management
Awesome Workplace
Senior Business Analyst Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 June 2016
Depending on the team, it is a very relaxed and open environment. Ideas are fostered and co-workers are friends.Knowledge advancement is support and encouraged
Good place to be if you are willing to move around
Senior Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 April 2016
It is a good place to work, the hardest part is to move from one station to another which upsets you routine and disrupts your home life.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Rotating shift and out of station
Always very busy and on the go.
Marine Engineer/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC18 March 2016
A typical day would be always fixing and keeping busy and making sure all machinery is running well and up to standard. Also have to make rounds of all spaces with machinery and make sure all was well. we also look for any electrical or mechanical problems.
Good place and people to work with
Business Analyst (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 March 2016
Good team spirit environment to work in with positive attitude and morale in the team considering the complexity of the project and timelines to implement
good place to start a career
Passenger Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 January 2016
Great people to work with. High demand to make sales. I found that guys got promoted faster than women even when the women had more education.