Bayshore Home Health

Bayshore Home Health Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a very caring company, for a Home Care provider
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2014
Overall I enjoyed my job very much. Answering inquiries, assisting the home care aids when the called and documenting and reporting any prevalent and sensitive information to the appropriate Alberta Heath Service department. Being a female only office (not by choice), at times, many would be confrontational with each other and some were down right volatile. What was the clincher of their non empathy was when I was diagnosed with cancer and need to miss work many times for surgeries and recuperation time. They were not very accommodating and very confrontational about the fact that I missed work to often, it was even noted in my performance evaluation and was deemed unsatisfactory.
Pros
very rewarding to work with wonderful homecare aids, assist with people who needed care
Cons
non empathetic managment
great place to work
Visit Nurse (Current Employee) –  Carleton Place, ONFebruary 25, 2014
great opportunity for continuing education
encourage growth, personal and professional
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no guaranteed hours
playing cards with clients, if clients do have dog bring out for a walk.
Personal support worker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 25, 2014
enjoying work out in the community, it is my passion when out in the community you get to know different people my many races. my hardest time working is when the clients has their moments when they want to work with me either then that I love my job as a personal support worker
Care Aide
Resident Care Aide (Former Employee) –  BurnabyFebruary 12, 2014
It was a good company, but didn't give much hours, and wasn't very organized. Always had me drive from 1 city to the next and then back again..
Fun environment with good people
Patient attendant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 12, 2014
I enjoy helping people who needs my help and my focus in school is in human development and crime
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
good shift
A workplace where the relationship and communication between senior management and workers are excellent
Patient Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 23, 2014
I will recommend the company to anyone who is energetic and willing to learn and stay focused professionally
Bayshore feels like home
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 22, 2014
The staff and office environment is amazing. You feel like you are home when you walk through the door.
stay away from it do yourself a favor
psw (Former Employee) –  HamiltonDecember 4, 2013
– April 1, 2013 Worst employer ever. Lots of after hour work you are not compensated for, pay for your own cell phone and calls,no pension plan, no education fund,poor mileage (told to make up the difference on your taxes), poor pay overall, including call time. They like to say they are all about the clients, but they are not.Toxic work environment. Find another employer....a lot of years I won't get back and not even a thank you when I left. Sad.

KTSD – June 27, 2013 I don't think the owner really knows what is going on at this branch. The nepotism and favouritism is unreal. I think the nsc HR needs to take a close look at why there is so much turnover/firings. Blatant harassment that is not discussed, a blind eye is turned. There is silent bullying (dirty looks, restriction, seclusion) Toxic environment. Low morale. Felt physically and emotionally sick the entire time I worked there.

AN I second all these comments. I will add that there is lack of management and as soon as they are involved the nepotism and retaliation kicks in. Its awful. It is against the law to threaten intimidate, and retaliate against a casual worker. but they do it and get away with it. They even make up situations so they don't have to visit a difficult client, ie cover their own butts.. It used to be good but they care more about the CCAC contract then their clients needs or their psws. I watched it evolve into a bs situation to work for. When the CCAC contract was awarded I thought to myself oh here it comes wait for it. It used to be a great place to work for, sad.
Morale with the front line workers
  more... used to be great, its awful now, stay far away from this company for psw work.  less
Cons
everything
COMPANY GOOD TO WORK FOR
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  lONDON ONTARIONovember 30, 2013
I WOULD LIKE TO FINE A COMPANY THAT OFFERS MORE
STABILITY I RETURNED TO THIS JOB UNTIL I FOUND WORK
IN THE FIELD I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE IN THATS IS
INDUSTRIAL WORK.
More productive and knowledgable
RPN (Current Employee) –  Kitchener ONNovember 7, 2013
I started my nursing currier at bayshore home health as a Registered Practical Nurse where i learned so many things. firstly, time management and organisational skills, leadership skills etc. all the management staff and co-workers are so polite and very helpful.Since the work environment is great it is very easy to tackle difficult situations at the work. the most enjoyable part of the job is you get see see all veriety of clients in the community and lots of opportunities to learn new things and to gain more knowledge.
Extreme amount of raport built with patients.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 22, 2013
12 hour shifts ( am & pm ) on Neurology Unit.
Assist with daily needs - feeding, taking for walks, assisting to the washroom.
I learned that working with patients who are mentally unstable is very rewarding and something I want to continue with my career.
I loved everything about the job.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
short staffed
Great Opportunity to help the community
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ONOctober 9, 2013
Overall my experience working as a personal support worker with Bayshore has been great. I have met great people and had a chance to feel like I truly made a difference in someone's life that needed my help and support.
Pros
my clients
Cons
no time for my own family
Great to be able to make your own schedule, but hours not always guaranteed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONOctober 8, 2013
I love that you get to choose your schedule. I currently work full-time hours from Monday-Friday, although they do like you to work every second weekend if able. Great for family life because you can be finished before you need to pick kids up from daycare/by the time they get home from school. If you have an appointment during the day, you can just schedule your nursing visits around your appointment as you basically make your own schedule and call clients to arrange a convenient time for their visit. Downside is that you can be really busy one week (13+ clients in a day) and then if you have a lot of discharges the next, you could be left with about 3-4 clients a day. And sometimes they're just isn't any clients to pick-up, so that's the biggest downside.
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
hours not always guaranteed, dealing with ccac to increase or add nursing visits
Supportive and flexible. No guaranteed hours.
shift nurse (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 10, 2013
This company offers a variety of opportunities from in home palliative care, to work in long term care facilities. Schedules are extremely flexible. If you need guaranteed hours it may not be the place for you.
Love Bayshore
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 8, 2013
Very flexible schedule, however not enough hours. I enjoyed getting to know the clients that I did and working with them. I was able to communicate or discuss any concerns with my supervisors and team members.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
not enough hours
Flexible place to work
Heath Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 29, 2013
A typical night at work would be to just make sure the client is safe, help with transfers and toileting. The enjoyable part of this job is that I get to help people in need. I have learnt a new respect for the elderly doing this job.
Although I do enjoy my job and the pay, I would really like a change in life and would like to learn and do something new.
I do not enjoy working nights anymore and would love to work full time days doing something more physical, new and different.
I also do not like the fact of not knowing where I am going every time I get a new client and don't always have regular hours.
Pros
flexible, good pay
Cons
not knowing what i am walking into, no regular hours, night shifts
Strongly recommend you steer clear of this company
Patient Attendant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 20, 2013
I worked at the Halifax, NS location for five years as a patient attendant. What began as an opportunity for me to gain experience in the health care industry, as I was currently a psychology student (at the time I was pursuing a B.A. in Psyhcology), and an individual with a Professional Counselling degree and a degree in Youth and Family Support Work, and wanted hands on experience working with individuals requiring one-on-one care, turned into a nightmare. Normally, I would not consider giving a bad review unless it was absolutely warranted, because I understand the value of a good word-of-mouth review, and the repercussions of a bad word-of-mouth review, but I felt it necessary to do so in this case. There is absolutely no communication between field staff and those working in the office; respect is non existent. For those field staff who go above and beyond the scope of their job, truly enjoy and love what they do, and try to make a difference in the lives of the clients they work with every day, there is absolutely no recognition. Shifts are constantly cancelled at the last minute without any warning, and the four hours that they're supposed to compensate you with for the loss of a twelve-hour shift is often not payed out. Complaints from the field staff concerning poor working conditions in some instances are ignored; experienced staff are often left on the sidelines begging for shifts while new hires are offered full hours. I would expect that a company rated as one of the best 50 companies to work for would go the distance in creating a more positive work environment,  more... maintaining open communication, and ensuring transparency when it cmes to shift allocation. Unfortunately, Bayshore does not see fit to do any such thing. I have since left to pursue a private counselling practice; I truly miss the work I did as a patient attendant in the hospitals, as well as the patients I worked with. However, I wasn't willing to 'adapt' to the toxic environment Bayshore allowed to continue.  less
Pros
the clients/patients
Cons
lack of communication & respect on the part of those working in the office/booking staff/management, no hours, blatant favouritism, treated like you're a number, not a person, toxic environment
i enjoy what i do every day,i go to clients homes and help them in their comfort of their houses.
CCA (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 20, 2013
helping the client to feel as comfortable as possible while I'm in their homes.
Great company, wonderful people
myNurse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  mississaugaAugust 15, 2013
I loved working for Bayshore. They are a wonderful company, often promoting from within. They are growing fast, and have really great people working for them. I am sad that I only had a temp contract with them.
Pros
great social events, career advancemnets
Flexible, Positive values and competitive pay
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 27, 2013
I began working for Bayshore while I was in school studying nursing and was offered a position as a personal support worker. They maintained their commitment to promote career growth as promised on their website because when I graduated I was quickly given an orientation to work as a nurse with the company. I had applied to over 70 nursing positions after graduating with no luck due to the extreme competition with other graduates and internal applicants with the places I applied, so I am very thankful to be given that opportunity.

Also: they pay a lot more than other home care agencies, both in PSW and in nursing (in my city). I have had some mix-ups when I worked as a PSW but nothing that wasn't sorted out, and it's expected in any home care agency because of the nature of how it all works. I think I have been treated fairly, and I wasn't handed a full time position on a silver platter but it's something you earn and work your way up to, and if you feel you're getting nowhere you can apply for other jobs that are at the hospital etc.

I am also grateful to be employed with Bayshore because the experience you will get will benefit you so much. You will see all sorts of clients, different things every day which will broaden your scope of experience, rather than doing the same type of things daily if you worked in a specialty hospital unit. You work independently but you are also part of a team and the Blackberry system makes it easy to communicate with your team members when a manager isn't available.
Pros
time flexibility, competitive pay for home care, not trapped in a hospital for 12 hours!
Cons
irregular hours, unpredictable days