Bayshore Home Health

Bayshore Home Health Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Opportunity to help the community
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Alliston, ONOctober 9, 2013
Pros: my clients
Cons: no time for my own family
Overall my experience working as a personal support worker with Bayshore has been great. I have met great people and had a chance to feel like I truly made a difference in someone's life that needed my help and support.
Great to be able to make your own schedule, but hours not always guaranteed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Sudbury, ONOctober 8, 2013
Pros: make your own schedule
Cons: hours not always guaranteed, dealing with ccac to increase or add nursing visits
I love that you get to choose your schedule. I currently work full-time hours from Monday-Friday, although they do like you to work every second weekend if able. Great for family life because you can be finished before you need to pick kids up from daycare/by the time they get home from school. If you have an appointment during the day, you can just – more... schedule your nursing visits around your appointment as you basically make your own schedule and call clients to arrange a convenient time for their visit. Downside is that you can be really busy one week (13+ clients in a day) and then if you have a lot of discharges the next, you could be left with about 3-4 clients a day. And sometimes they're just isn't any clients to pick-up, so that's the biggest downside. – less
Supportive and flexible. No guaranteed hours.
shift nurse (Current Employee), Barrie, ONSeptember 10, 2013
This company offers a variety of opportunities from in home palliative care, to work in long term care facilities. Schedules are extremely flexible. If you need guaranteed hours it may not be the place for you.
Love Bayshore
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: not enough hours
Very flexible schedule, however not enough hours. I enjoyed getting to know the clients that I did and working with them. I was able to communicate or discuss any concerns with my supervisors and team members.
Flexible place to work
Heath Care Attendant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 29, 2013
Pros: flexible, good pay
Cons: not knowing what i am walking into, no regular hours, night shifts
A typical night at work would be to just make sure the client is safe, help with transfers and toileting. The enjoyable part of this job is that I get to help people in need. I have learnt a new respect for the elderly doing this job.
Although I do enjoy my job and the pay, I would really like a change in life and would like to learn and do something – more... new.
I do not enjoy working nights anymore and would love to work full time days doing something more physical, new and different.
I also do not like the fact of not knowing where I am going every time I get a new client and don't always have regular hours. – less
i enjoy what i do every day,i go to clients homes and help them in their comfort of their houses.
CCA (Current Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 20, 2013
helping the client to feel as comfortable as possible while I'm in their homes.
Great company, wonderful people
myNurse Coordinator (Former Employee), mississaugaAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great social events, career advancemnets
I loved working for Bayshore. They are a wonderful company, often promoting from within. They are growing fast, and have really great people working for them. I am sad that I only had a temp contract with them.
Flexible, Positive values and competitive pay
Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 27, 2013
Pros: time flexibility, competitive pay for home care, not trapped in a hospital for 12 hours!
Cons: irregular hours, unpredictable days
I began working for Bayshore while I was in school studying nursing and was offered a position as a personal support worker. They maintained their commitment to promote career growth as promised on their website because when I graduated I was quickly given an orientation to work as a nurse with the company. I had applied to over 70 nursing positions – more... after graduating with no luck due to the extreme competition with other graduates and internal applicants with the places I applied, so I am very thankful to be given that opportunity.

Also: they pay a lot more than other home care agencies, both in PSW and in nursing (in my city). I have had some mix-ups when I worked as a PSW but nothing that wasn't sorted out, and it's expected in any home care agency because of the nature of how it all works. I think I have been treated fairly, and I wasn't handed a full time position on a silver platter but it's something you earn and work your way up to, and if you feel you're getting nowhere you can apply for other jobs that are at the hospital etc.

I am also grateful to be employed with Bayshore because the experience you will get will benefit you so much. You will see all sorts of clients, different things every day which will broaden your scope of experience, rather than doing the same type of things daily if you worked in a specialty hospital unit. You work independently but you are also part of a team and the Blackberry system makes it easy to communicate with your team members when a manager isn't available. – less
Adventurous productive job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Kitchener OntarioJuly 8, 2013
In this kind of job you must have a long patience, compassion, ethics, creative, time management,caring and work as a team to co-workers. I learn how to deal with different people with health related problem of the client, encouragement and motivation. Manage your time with the allotted time in providing care & follow the care plan. Its hard if there's – more... a new related health concern or accident happens to a client. I'm happy if my client is getting better or there's improvement & if they are happy and give a compliment to us providing their care. The travel allowance is not enough it should be computed based on the mileage. – less

Cantenter – July 10, 2013

Yes anyone who has worked as a community care aide knows it is an interesting and challenging career. You will soon find it is the company Bayshore home health itself that is the problem here.

Casual Nursing
Caregiver (RPN) (Current Employee), Kitchener, OntarioJune 23, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: irregular hours
On-call community nursing.

Easy low-stress work, however, it is difficult to live on because the hours are irregular.
Registered Practical Nurse - Management is unfair, only cares about their own money, nurses are disrespected, poor work conditions, etc.
Registered practical nurse (Current Employee), MississaugaJune 11, 2013
Pros: staff are friendly and helpful
Cons: managers are monsters
Managers have their friendly nurses who they give personal benefits for. Even if a nurse works for 10 years in the community, they do not increase the transportation allowance to cover for the high gas prices and other costs. There is no pension plan. If a nurse is working in a clinic, they don't pay over time hours. If a nurse is working in community, – more... they give 4 hours of work, spread throughout the day so that your time is wasted. Very poor management. Coordinators do not know how to do their jobs. – less

Cantenter – June 15, 2013

They are equally disrespectful to all the field staff! They try to rule you by intimidating you! You are in trouble for even asking a question if it means work for them! They are real bullies! You can not get straight answers out of the office staff because they know you will quit instantly if you hear how few hours you will likely be getting as a new hire, - spread out over the new 8 hour window that they have kindly narrowed it down to. The new hiring ads aren't identifying who they are any more because they know that Burnaby Bayshore is terrible to the staff and people who work there are talking! Yes! They will tell you to not talk about your hours to other care aides! They will Tell you you must do this and you must do that! No you don't! The stress you will experience under this employer will eat you alive! If you have a brain in your head go to places where they treat you with respect! Go any where but the Burnaby Bayshore offices for a job, because if you go to Burnaby Bayshore you will be treated as if they own you! They treat you as if you owe them and you won't be paid fairly by any stretch of Canadian aspects. Who else demands the employee that you must give their employer 8 hours of their day and then not told how many hours they can expect regularly or consistently , and if you dare to question or ask as to why you will be punished, try it and you will see...you will be lucky if you get half of your time paid for!( that's if they like you) Rate you employer, go to that site and read what many who have gone before you have experienced first hand! Burnaby Bayshore is being run by a bunch of bullies. Work there and expect to see it for yourself! If you don't stand up to it expect it to continue!

Care more about their contract with CCAC then their nurses!
RPN (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 9, 2013
Pros: working independently and the clients
Cons: working many hrs. on own time, constant changes
Great place to work if you like working lots of extra hrs. on your own time. Even when you have a day off you are spending your own time calling clients for the next day so you never really feel like you have a day off. Management worries more about their contract with ccac then they do about their nurses. My branch was the pilot project for electronic – more... documentation and it was hell for the last 2 years with all the constant changes and expectations. Tablets never worked properly from the beginning and still donot so nurses end up spending more of their own time calling IT for help or trying to download their clients for the next day. Constant shift in management/staff and staff very stressed and unhappy but company in denial of real situation. I loved being a visiting nurse and miss it tremendously but donot miss Bayshore and how it affected me both physically and mentally and I cannot get back all the hrs. I have given to them and was never compensated. – less
Great if you dont need to make money. Or if you have nothing better to do with your day.
Honest hard working care aides/ nurses. (Current Employee), burnaby bayshore.June 3, 2013
Pros: you work largely on your own, the clients are greatful and happy to see you, you feel as if you have helped and made a differnce.
You will never know from day to day what your schedule will entail. You must give them the hours that they want, you cannot put perimeters around your schedule. if you Want the weekend off...forget it...
They will require ten hours from you and give you maybe if you are lucky a 4 hour work day....spread out over the ten hour window. They are more focused – more... and motivated to hire new care aides and supply them with hours than to respect and supply decent hours to care aides who have been with them for years
Theymust feel if we don't complain about lack of hours or the spread in the hours we must be happy with them when the reality is that staff morale is low.
It the worst place I have ever worked at. I am sick and tired of being treated like my time is not important.
My co workers health is being bull dozed by the bullying tactics from the schedulers and office staff alike.If you don't like something and dare to bring it up to the office, veiled threats are given of loosing hours or of being fired. According to the office ....we all do it and we all like how we are being treated.
It is beyond the offices abilities to figure out how to make a decent schedule for care aide or client alike.$ years of requests falling on deaf ears...what else can you call it.?
If you need a sick day off, be prepared to provide not just one sick note but two, one to take the day off of work, and another to say you are fit and able to come back to work. Why? because they know it costs you money and effort to get these notes
Its a common request they make even for one day of requested sick time off so that you think twice about asking for another. Its hard to face your sick and frail clients day after day when you know that you are going to be shorted on your contract hours again and you don't know if you can pay your bills.
You cant pick up a second job because the new offered positions are 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening...so you are bound to them and cannot accept hours from other places. You cannot pick your own availability.
If you don't believe me ask any one in the Burnaby bayshore home health ....how is your job...do you like the working conditions.....
just see how many ads they are constantly putting up...it because once you see what they expect from you on a daily basis, you will realize they are sucking the life out of you....its not a career when you have a coveted top of the line 35 hour a week position and you are only a few thousand dollars above the poverty income.
If you don't believe me,
just try it for a couple months and you will see for yours self.
it is NOT a good or rewarding job despite how they advertise themselves. It is the worst place I have ever worked, I went to college to become the best care giver I could be, and because I expected my employer to give me decent and respectful conditions and was pro active in trying to attain them....they have retaliated with numerous half hour visits spread out over my ten hour window, too far distances to make it on time over and over it happens. If you need the EMERGENCY after hours nurse....well good luck with that one.....they are so short staffed it is offensive.
Burnaby Bayshore Home Health is a sick sick place
they may be part of the largest home health provider in Canada, and a top run company....but run as it is now, it will NEVER be a top employer.
If you really love helping people then help yourself and do not work for Burnaby Bayshore.
The great people who work for Bayshore are not being respected.
Keep your hollow awards and movie tickets, just give us an 8 hour day of work in a 9 hour window. And keep your word that you will provide it on a consistent basis.
THAT IS A TOP RUN COMPANY! – less
Shift nurse with end of life care clients
Shift Nurse (Current Employee), Barrie, and Utopia OntarioMay 1, 2013
Pros: independence, because i need to depend on myself, because i work alone.
Cons: i love my job, unfortunately i live in brampton, but work in barrie.
I work night shifts as a Palliative Care shift nurse.Management at Bayshore is excellent, they are easy to get in touch with when they are needed. I work alone with the clients, my co-workers and i see each other at meeting and in-services only. The hardest part of my job is working alone, depending on the type of client i do get lonely at times. I – more... love my job; its very rewarding, i am able to provide comfort to my clients and their families. – less
It was a good place to work
Front Line Office Staff (Former Employee), GTAApril 3, 2013
Pros: benefits were good
Cons: management does not treat workers with respect
Things have really changed at Bayshore over the last couple of years.....not even close to what it used to be.

Too many management changes & they never seem to find a good "fit". The front line staff pay for this (job loss, never know what's going on)

Micromanaging employees that are skilled. On one occasion management requested office – more... staff go and clean a clients home just to cover a shift.

If caregivers are not like they do not get booked. – less
inconsistent work, very demanding, very short notice
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 3, 2013
Cons: long hours, short notice cancellation, no benefits very poor pay
This is a company that promises a lot and doesn't deliver. There were no benefits, and no raises the entire 18 months I worked for them. I started working 55 hours a week but when I had a complaint about how I was treated, was cut dramatically. They won't tell you about any complaints from clients, and just really don't seem to care.
inconsistent work, very demanding, very short notice
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 3, 2013
Cons: long hours, short notice cancellation, no benefits very poor pay
Meeting new people everyday
PSW (Current Employee), KITCHENERMarch 18, 2013
Pros: flexible hours..
Cons: not enough scheduled hours to live on
As a Person Support worker: home support, a typical day would be visiting diffrent clients in their home, some are very nice people but some not so nice. Management needs to improve more on the schedulling and communication. Some of the coordinators are just there they do not really know what they are doing, they call you one million times a day never – more... give you enough hours to live on; maybe 1 hour a day it is really frustrating...and the pay is very low. – less
Learning Experience
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Brantford, ONJanuary 25, 2013
this company has an amazing set of clientele, along with a strong group of PSW's. If your loved one'(s) ever need homecare, I highly recommend using Bayshore Home Health
Independant home care - shift nursing
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day. Everyday is different. Management can confusing as to who is in what job. Never see co-workers. Hardest part is being alone and not always able to call the office for an opinion. Most enjoyable part is helping people.

About Bayshore Home Health

Bayshore Home Health has been enhancing the quality of life, well-being, dignity and independence of Canadians since 1966. Canadian – Read more

Bayshore Home Health Photos