Bayshore Home Health

Bayshore Home Health Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great if you dont need to make money. Or if you have nothing better to do with your day.
Honest hard working care aides/ nurses. (Current Employee), burnaby bayshore.June 3, 2013
Pros: you work largely on your own, the clients are greatful and happy to see you, you feel as if you have helped and made a differnce.
You will never know from day to day what your schedule will entail. You must give them the hours that they want, you cannot put perimeters around your schedule. if you Want the weekend off...forget it...
They will require ten hours from you and give you maybe if you are lucky a 4 hour work day....spread out over the ten hour window. They are more focused and motivated to hire new care aides and supply them with hours than to respect and supply decent hours to care aides who have been with them for years
Theymust feel if we don't complain about lack of hours or the spread in the hours we must be happy with them when the reality is that staff morale is low.
It the worst place I have ever worked at. I am sick and tired of being treated like my time is not important.
My co workers health is being bull dozed by the bullying tactics from the schedulers and office staff alike.If you don't like something and dare to bring it up to the office, veiled threats are given of loosing hours or of being fired. According to the office ....we all do it and we all like how we are being treated.
It is beyond the offices abilities to figure out how to make a decent schedule for care aide or client alike.$ years of requests falling on deaf ears...what else can you call it.?
If you need a sick day off, be prepared to provide not just one sick note but two, one to take the day off of work, and another to say you are fit and able to come back to work. Why? because they know it costs you money and effort to get these notes
Its a common request they make even for one day of requested sick time off so – more... that you think twice about asking for another. Its hard to face your sick and frail clients day after day when you know that you are going to be shorted on your contract hours again and you don't know if you can pay your bills.
You cant pick up a second job because the new offered positions are 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening...so you are bound to them and cannot accept hours from other places. You cannot pick your own availability.
If you don't believe me ask any one in the Burnaby bayshore home health ....how is your job...do you like the working conditions.....
just see how many ads they are constantly putting up...it because once you see what they expect from you on a daily basis, you will realize they are sucking the life out of you....its not a career when you have a coveted top of the line 35 hour a week position and you are only a few thousand dollars above the poverty income.
If you don't believe me,
just try it for a couple months and you will see for yours self.
it is NOT a good or rewarding job despite how they advertise themselves. It is the worst place I have ever worked, I went to college to become the best care giver I could be, and because I expected my employer to give me decent and respectful conditions and was pro active in trying to attain them....they have retaliated with numerous half hour visits spread out over my ten hour window, too far distances to make it on time over and over it happens. If you need the EMERGENCY after hours nurse....well good luck with that one.....they are so short staffed it is offensive.
Burnaby Bayshore Home Health is a sick sick place
they may be part of the largest home health provider in Canada, and a top run company....but run as it is now, it will NEVER be a top employer.
If you really love helping people then help yourself and do not work for Burnaby Bayshore.
The great people who work for Bayshore are not being respected.
Keep your hollow awards and movie tickets, just give us an 8 hour day of work in a 9 hour window. And keep your word that you will provide it on a consistent basis.
THAT IS A TOP RUN COMPANY! – less
literally will demean you
nurse (Former Employee), British ColumbiaOctober 15, 2014
Pros: always looking
Cons: always looking because no one wants to work here
Very little training for important nursing procedures. Management is not professional nor experienced. They deal with very few nurses, and don't know much about how nurses learn or deal with things in the real world. You are hired for the company's profit. So,, they give you as little training as possible, and expect you to go above and beyond working like crazy with several complex job descriptions. If you make the slightest mistake or a wrong comment( yes,... this company will even write a report up on you, if you even say the wrong thing) you will get written up, and treated like you are the dumbest creature on earth. The managers do not have advanced certificates like ACLS yet, will criticize the nurses if they don't have it. You have to spend 40 dollars on gas, and 2 hours on the road, and you only get paid for one hour. Just one hour. And they tell you that that is fair. They are always looking and hiring not because it is a great company but because there is so much turn over. They always have tons of positions open , because they treat nurses badly, and people are always quitting. This is a business. They expect you to be the best nurse in the world with no training , yet they treat you like you have an IQ of 10. The managers are very demeaning, and will literally tell you they are demeaning you. They treat all NON nursing staff , like telephone service people, very well with food, gifts, cattering, parties, goodies and cakes. But for nurses, absolutely nothing. In fact, they hate the nurses so much they will even keep nurses out of parties because they don't want the – more... nurses to enjoy the goodies. They will also lie to you, and also the office staff WILL talk behind your back. They gossip about nurses in the evening after work, and the next day you wonder why the telephone staff is looking at you like you have a problem. And for all the work that you put into the company , they will never give the nurses any benefits. No nothing. The managers talk about no bullying, but the managers are the ones that do the bullying, so who are you supposed to report the bullying to. Managers will and will demean you for you to turn up at someones house that is 6 hours away, and you will only get paid for one hour. This is bayshore. This is how they make a profit. They pay the nurse little but get paid a lot by the client. So they take the profit. All the money goes to the directors for their very expensive parties where nurses are treated like dirt so they leave early in the party. The cattering is first class. They could have used that money on even slight benefits for the nurses that work so hard, driving the cold and dark , trying to reach some client. – less
Strongly recommend you steer clear of this company
Patient Attendant (Current Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 20, 2013
Pros: the clients/patients
Cons: lack of communication & respect on the part of those working in the office/booking staff/management, no hours, blatant favouritism, treated like you're a number, not a person, toxic environment
I worked at the Halifax, NS location for five years as a patient attendant. What began as an opportunity for me to gain experience in the health care industry, as I was currently a psychology student (at the time I was pursuing a B.A. in Psyhcology), and an individual with a Professional Counselling degree and a degree in Youth and Family Support Work, and wanted hands on experience working with individuals requiring one-on-one care, turned into a nightmare. Normally, I would not consider giving a bad review unless it was absolutely warranted, because I understand the value of a good word-of-mouth review, and the repercussions of a bad word-of-mouth review, but I felt it necessary to do so in this case. There is absolutely no communication between field staff and those working in the office; respect is non existent. For those field staff who go above and beyond the scope of their job, truly enjoy and love what they do, and try to make a difference in the lives of the clients they work with every day, there is absolutely no recognition. Shifts are constantly cancelled at the last minute without any warning, and the four hours that they're supposed to compensate you with for the loss of a twelve-hour shift is often not payed out. Complaints from the field staff concerning poor working conditions in some instances are ignored; experienced staff are often left on the sidelines begging for shifts while new hires are offered full hours. I would expect that a company rated as one of the best 50 companies to work for would go the distance in creating a more positive work environment, – more... maintaining open communication, and ensuring transparency when it cmes to shift allocation. Unfortunately, Bayshore does not see fit to do any such thing. I have since left to pursue a private counselling practice; I truly miss the work I did as a patient attendant in the hospitals, as well as the patients I worked with. However, I wasn't willing to 'adapt' to the toxic environment Bayshore allowed to continue. – less
Horrible company - they do not care about you
CHW II (Former Employee), Burnaby BCDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great clients
Cons: bad managment - awful hours -
Bayshore is an AWFUL company to be empoyed with - they are constantly hiring because there turn over rate is so high. They have way too many employees so it is impossible to get PROPER HOURS. I have been employed with them as a secondary job for 1.5 years - recently they took clients away from my shifts due to a new policy that I have to go through bayshore to get my training. (palletive care, dementia care ect) EVEN THOUGH MY CERTIFICATES ARE NOT EVEN 3 YEARS OLD - I was willing to take their coarses however they DO NOT OFFER THEM EVENING AND WEEKENDS. This has made it impossible for me as I work my main job is Monday - Friday 8:30 - 5.

This is what my shifts looked like this week when I got fed up and finally quite
Monday I am available to work 6pm - 11pm they schedule me for a client from 6-7 then I don't have anyone until 9pm and my last client from 9-10. So I am basically working 6pm - 10pm and getting paid for only 2 hours. Since I am out there for 4 hours and it costs to much gas money to drive home and back again I am technically working for UNDER minnumum wage.

Tuesday night shift was a bit better as I had two client one from 7-8 and the other from 8-9 however one cancelled with more than 24hours notice so I was only scheduled for 1 hour. AGAIN it cost me more in gas and time driving to one clients house for an hour. By the time I pay my union dues and taxes I am basically getting paid minimum wage.

Thursday night I was scheduled for 3.5 hours and was going to be out for 5hours.

The only thing that kept me at Bayshore for over a year was the client. The people I – more... worked for and was able to service were wonderful people.

My best and most sound advice would be - DO NOT WORK WITH BAYSHORE – less
stay away from it do yourself a favor
psw (Former Employee), HamiltonDecember 4, 2013
Cons: everything
– April 1, 2013 Worst employer ever. Lots of after hour work you are not compensated for, pay for your own cell phone and calls,no pension plan, no education fund,poor mileage (told to make up the difference on your taxes), poor pay overall, including call time. They like to say they are all about the clients, but they are not.Toxic work environment. Find another employer....a lot of years I won't get back and not even a thank you when I left. Sad.

KTSD – June 27, 2013 I don't think the owner really knows what is going on at this branch. The nepotism and favouritism is unreal. I think the nsc HR needs to take a close look at why there is so much turnover/firings. Blatant harassment that is not discussed, a blind eye is turned. There is silent bullying (dirty looks, restriction, seclusion) Toxic environment. Low morale. Felt physically and emotionally sick the entire time I worked there.

AN I second all these comments. I will add that there is lack of management and as soon as they are involved the nepotism and retaliation kicks in. Its awful. It is against the law to threaten intimidate, and retaliate against a casual worker. but they do it and get away with it. They even make up situations so they don't have to visit a difficult client, ie cover their own butts.. It used to be good but they care more about the CCAC contract then their clients needs or their psws. I watched it evolve into a bs situation to work for. When the CCAC contract was awarded I thought to myself oh here it comes wait for it. It used to be a great place to work for, sad.
Morale with the front line workers – more... used to be great, its awful now, stay far away from this company for psw work. – less
Flexible, Positive values and competitive pay
Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 27, 2013
Pros: time flexibility, competitive pay for home care, not trapped in a hospital for 12 hours!
Cons: irregular hours, unpredictable days
I began working for Bayshore while I was in school studying nursing and was offered a position as a personal support worker. They maintained their commitment to promote career growth as promised on their website because when I graduated I was quickly given an orientation to work as a nurse with the company. I had applied to over 70 nursing positions after graduating with no luck due to the extreme competition with other graduates and internal applicants with the places I applied, so I am very thankful to be given that opportunity.

Also: they pay a lot more than other home care agencies, both in PSW and in nursing (in my city). I have had some mix-ups when I worked as a PSW but nothing that wasn't sorted out, and it's expected in any home care agency because of the nature of how it all works. I think I have been treated fairly, and I wasn't handed a full time position on a silver platter but it's something you earn and work your way up to, and if you feel you're getting nowhere you can apply for other jobs that are at the hospital etc.

I am also grateful to be employed with Bayshore because the experience you will get will benefit you so much. You will see all sorts of clients, different things every day which will broaden your scope of experience, rather than doing the same type of things daily if you worked in a specialty hospital unit. You work independently but you are also part of a team and the Blackberry system makes it easy to communicate with your team members when a manager isn't available.
WORST CARE PROVIDER EVER
client (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 5, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Bad managment
I do not work here but we have Bayshore as a care provider for a family member via our Health services. Let me tell you this... All the 20 PSW's we get have absolutely nothing positive to say about this company. I listen to them almost everyday complaining about the horrendous company culture. It makes me sick that a company treats their employees so bad. I won't go into major detail but I'll just tell you that the main issue starts at the top with upper management and trickles down.

The main culprit is horrible management and senior administrators who rule the office with an iron fist. These people have been working here way too long and NEED to go. They contribute to the low morale and negativity. Be nice to them or they will adjust your hours or shifts as they please. If the company can acknowledge the issues and get rid of the upper 'club' I'm sure Bayshore would be a much more enjoyable place to work.

All issues / concerns brought up to management are usually disregarded. Even as a client, certain records are not logged!! As if nothing happened and they have no knowledge of it!!

Bayshore has an extremely high turn over rate. PSW's come and go every month!! Right here this says a lot about Bayshore.
Terrible
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 19, 2015
Cons: EVERYTHING
A typical day at work - 500 calls from office begging you to take more clients. Higher ups tell you to learn to say no once in a while but the CSC's never take NO as an answer.
Management - was awful. You have to go through 5 different people to leave a voicemail to get an answer MAYBE 2 weeks later. (If at all.)
Co-workers - I met maybe 2 other HCA's... we had the same view on this place...
Hardest part of the job - The office doesn't give 2 craps about clients, I DO. You can call with a concern and it gets swept under the rug. The turnover rate is ridiculous, my CSC would tell me every other day that they hired like 10 new people and then the next day - 'Oh, two people quit on me today'. Obviously something is wrong if people quit right away. The ONLY reason I stayed for as long as I did, is that I was terrified of the care my clients (who I had come to care for, obviously) would receive if I was no longer their caregiver.
The OFFICE staff will generally say they love their jobs and management is great, but they ALL treat FIELD STAFF LIKE DIRT.

Bayshore will hire anyone and work you into the ground, and give ZERO recognition. If you are passionate about what you do... DO NOT WORK HERE
Terribly unorganized, illegal practices, incompetent management
HCA (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 19, 2014
1) You constantly have to tell management how to do their job
2) Paying an LPN more than an RN who are working with the same client
3) Having to call them daily to fix your schedule because they are constantly making mistakes even if you send them your availability
4) Favouritism - if you bend over and take it from them, you get anything you want. If you stand up for yourself, they are hardasses and will give you less shifts, etc.
5) Their "guarantee" of always having a caregiver for the client when they need them is a load of BS. One of my clients went 5 days without a caregiver, because Bayshore was unable to provide one. AND then they sent out an RN of their own and she dropped the client from an overhead lift.
6) Promising RN hours but only giving HCA hours
7) EXTREMELY unprofessional
8) Only thing I like about working with this company is the client.
9) Clients I have spoken to are also fed up with Bayshore because they talk behind the clients' back about them, they keep them in the dark about scheduling, they dont listen to their needs, they just basically do whatever the heck they want and what will get them the most profit.
They do not stand behind the staff and too many lies.
Registered Practical Nurse (Shift) (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 16, 2014
Pros: can choose where &when to work, visiting nurses helpful, can travel as much or as little as you want.
Cons: manager does not back up staff, manipulates families, lying, mtgs geared to visiting nurses not shift, shift not given car kits, no paid mileage
loved my job with Bayshore for 10 yrs, then years11+ were lies, intro to computers which don't work, then threats by managers, no information or mis information. Work went to PSWs, then shift nursing work became almost non-existant. Most of the office staff are terrific and helpful and maybe some managers can't stand the stress, shouldn't be managers! There are TOO MANY managers. I left there thinking computers were lost to me...until my next job and then with a decent programme installed all flowed well and my confidence returned. Co-workers for the most part are good but don't get to see them except at meeting or if we have a wrap around client.
Usually clients have only one shift per day.
Highly under compensated for required duties.
Team Leader/Observational Care Provider (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: mid-nights only, lumpy work schedule, insufficient renumeration
•Manage a team of 5-25 OCPs (Observational Care Provider); scheduling 15-30 minute breaks while effectively maintaining seamless and uninterrupted patient care
•Act as First Point of Communication between the Company and the OCPs
•Facilitate communication with the LHSC and UH coordinators, nurses, unit clerks, and supervisors
•Assist the team with proper paperwork when necessary for daily scheduling and incident reports
•Ensure patients are appropriately covered with an OCP per doctor's request
•Provide temporary patient coverage in emergency situations at the hospital(s) until a staff member can be dispatched by head office and assigned to the patient's room
•In a patients’ room: continually monitor the patient, who has been assessed by the doctor to be potential danger to themselves or others
•Respond to the patients safety needs or behaviour changes as soon as possible by consulting with the assigned nurse
•Provide friendly interaction and positive communication with the patient to build trust and rapport
A company that approaches nursing in a cookie cutting way
Current employee but not for much longer (Current Employee), HamiltonJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: it's a job
Cons: the on-call coordinators ruined it for me
Some of the people who work for Bayshore are excellent! Bayshore sometimes forgets about those people. They claim that you make less money to afford the cell phone they provide for you, but I haven't had a cell phone for months and no pay increase. I also advanced my education and am now an RPN. Bayshore didn't help me in any way. In fact I was bullied sometimes by on-call coordinators to take shifts. Studying took priority it's too bad they failed to recognize that. When I received my papers they didn't offer me employment either. Either I slipped through the cracks or they didn't like me. I'm going to go with slipped through the cracks because every client I provided care for loved me. Hopefully Bayshore wakes up and sees that their company would be nothing without the hard work of the PSW's.

April 1, 2013

June 27, 2013

Care more about their contract with CCAC then their nurses!
RPN (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 9, 2013
Pros: working independently and the clients
Cons: working many hrs. on own time, constant changes
Great place to work if you like working lots of extra hrs. on your own time. Even when you have a day off you are spending your own time calling clients for the next day so you never really feel like you have a day off. Management worries more about their contract with ccac then they do about their nurses. My branch was the pilot project for electronic documentation and it was hell for the last 2 years with all the constant changes and expectations. Tablets never worked properly from the beginning and still donot so nurses end up spending more of their own time calling IT for help or trying to download their clients for the next day. Constant shift in management/staff and staff very stressed and unhappy but company in denial of real situation. I loved being a visiting nurse and miss it tremendously but donot miss Bayshore and how it affected me both physically and mentally and I cannot get back all the hrs. I have given to them and was never compensated.
Co-op placement volunteer
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 24, 2014
Pros: free lunches on special events
I volunteered at Bayshore Home Health for about 8 months. A typical day at work as a volunteer would be exciting and interesting because you never knew what to expect. I've learned how to file important documents, and how to input a new client into the computer system. The managers were friendly and always greeted me every morning I came in to volunteer. I got along with all the other employees and asked them for help when needed. I truly enjoyed volunteering here because it helped me gain experience in the medical field as well thought me how to book and schedule appointments. The hardest part of volunteering was having to leave a wonderful work environment like this place, I do hope that one day I can work at a place like Bayshore.
Great to be able to make your own schedule, but hours not always guaranteed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Sudbury, ONOctober 8, 2013
Pros: make your own schedule
Cons: hours not always guaranteed, dealing with ccac to increase or add nursing visits
I love that you get to choose your schedule. I currently work full-time hours from Monday-Friday, although they do like you to work every second weekend if able. Great for family life because you can be finished before you need to pick kids up from daycare/by the time they get home from school. If you have an appointment during the day, you can just schedule your nursing visits around your appointment as you basically make your own schedule and call clients to arrange a convenient time for their visit. Downside is that you can be really busy one week (13+ clients in a day) and then if you have a lot of discharges the next, you could be left with about 3-4 clients a day. And sometimes they're just isn't any clients to pick-up, so that's the biggest downside.
Horrible place to work. Manager of clinical practise
Manager Clinical Practise (Former Employee), London ontarioMay 22, 2013
No time for family. Small office left manager clinical practice picking up the slack. Expectation to work shifts for which there was no other staff avail. Many weekends workingthough it started to improve when resigned. On call after hours. Many in office politics. Area director hired daughter for human resource position in a three person office. Moved daughter into mcp office which was next door to her mother (area director) at back of the office. Massive paperwork expectations. Office staff always questioning work schedule no consideration given for the hours of paperwork and preparations for ISO audits which were for for large part the duty of Mcp. (As supervisor of human resources, all human resource stuff was added to mcp respondibility) No support from head office or regional manager when approaching them about the situation. Anyone who can work as Mcp at this office, I wish you luck!!
My review with the companys I have work with was very ggod. They were very nice and well organized
Community Living Worker (Former Employee), Steeles and youngOctober 25, 2012
Pros: i enjoy working with people from all walks of life
Cons: not been treated with respected
My typical day at work would be educational, Always learning new things from peer managements and people i meet everyday. I have work with people from all walks of life and the most wonderful thing i learn is never to be judgemental of people we meet. Go in with an open mind and everything will be fine.

I love to do my job to the best of my ability, and i always go over it to make sure its is done properly.The hardest part of my job is seeing one one in trouble or hurting and there is nothing in my power that i can do to help them.

The most enjoyable part of my job to have it completed, and makes a differences in all that i do. And have great boss and team players.
face-paced office, always busy, good management structure
Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2014
Pros: team environment
Cons: emotionally exhausting
Answering upwards of 100+ phone calls per day from nurses, clients, case managers, client family members; coordinate staff and client visit schedule; reschedule clients when staff are sick; maintain detailed reports on all phone calls; field messages to appropriate administrators; work on-call as general phone message taker after hours; design and manage complex scheduling techniques.

Management was excellent and well-structured. The team of people working there were very dedicated and supportive.

Hardest part of the job was fielding phone calls from clients and family of a personal and distressing nature. My job often required that I phone 911 for emergency situations.

Management was tremendous and the work environment was positive. I was able to work unsupervised for the most part.
Not a very caring company, for a Home Care provider
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2014
Pros: very rewarding to work with wonderful homecare aids, assist with people who needed care
Cons: non empathetic managment
Overall I enjoyed my job very much. Answering inquiries, assisting the home care aids when the called and documenting and reporting any prevalent and sensitive information to the appropriate Alberta Heath Service department. Being a female only office (not by choice), at times, many would be confrontational with each other and some were down right volatile. What was the clincher of their non empathy was when I was diagnosed with cancer and need to miss work many times for surgeries and recuperation time. They were not very accommodating and very confrontational about the fact that I missed work to often, it was even noted in my performance evaluation and was deemed unsatisfactory.
Bayshore Home Health
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 4, 2015
Pros: The variety of clients with various needs, so was able to use all the skills I learned in school in real world applications.
Cons: I was given the most difficult cases, they knew I would be able to handle them, that in turn burned me out.
It was the first job that allowed me to use my HCA skills and I was able to do a variety of jobs that are possible in that field. I did private home care which included light house keeping and cooking. Companionship was a huge part of the job. I also did medical escorts and went into long term care facilities to do companionship clients. I worked with the elderly by helping them do day to day activities and other clients had acquired brain injuries. The variety of clients I saw really gave me a lot of experience in the spectrum of HCA field