REGISTERED NURSE / REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE – POSITION DESCRIPTION
In accordance with applicable policies of the residence and the Ontario College of Nurses, performs general nursing functions and other administrative related duties. Efficiency and accuracy required in maintaining and implementing nursing care as well as resident health records.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plans in the development and adherence of goals and objectives of the unit, standards of care, policies and procedures.
2. Plans care required by the residents according to problems identified through nursing assessment.
3. Plans to be involved in infection control, health and safety issues.
4. Plans and organizes functions and activities related to the provision of nursing care.
5. Plans workload for Personal Support Workers to address resident care requirements.
6. Plans own schedule around the delivery of medications, supervision of care of Personal Support Workers.
7. Plans orientation of new R.N.’s/R.P.N.’s
8. Assesses continually any changes in residents’ health status and initiates appropriate health measures, which may require physician referral and processing physician orders.
9. Assesses physical and cognitive functioning of new move-ins.
10. Assesses the availability of supplies.
11. Assesses records, nursing care plans, flow sheets so they reflect the residents’ current health status.
12. Assesses the appropriate storage of medications including restricted drugs.
13. Assesses care provided by P.S.W.’s
14. Assesses environmental concerns and refers to the appropriate department.
15. Implements nursing interventions (monitoring vital signs, medications and treatments) required by residents.
16. Implements BAYBRIDGE SENIOR LIVING policies, procedures, practices and philosophies – as necessary.
17. Implements use of assessment tools, nursing care plans, flow sheets, unit and shift reporting and records.
18. Implements appropriate routine for processing physician’s orders.
19. Implements unit orientation to new staff members.
20. Implements nursing intervention required by residents.
21. Maintains resident records in compliance with established standards, BAYBRIDGE SENIOR LIVING standards and legislative requirements.
22. Evaluates effects of nursing interventions at the specified time already determined for effectiveness and reassesses.
23. Evaluates record keeping, completeness of nursing care plans, flow sheets and reporting.
24. Evaluates the result of nursing interventions provided to residents at a specified interval as per the nursing care plan. This is noted in the resident’s chart and reported to the immediate supervisor.
25. Evaluates performance of Personal Support Workers informally on a daily basis.
26. Evaluates self-performance on a daily basis as care is given and seeks assistance as necessary.
27. Keeps the Director of Health and Wellness promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action which may be taken.
28. Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objectives of the position.
29. Maintains a favourable working relationship with all other company employees and guests to foster and promote a fun and harmonious working climate that maximizes morale, productivity and efficiency.
30. Provides a favourable image of the company at all times to promote its objectives and enhance public recognition of all its areas of endeavour.
31. Evaluates efficiency of completed assignments and tasks as delegated by the Director of Health and Wellness.
Extensive standing and walking. Repeated reaching, squatting, kneeling, bending, pushing and twisting. May be exposed to hazards from bacteria and/or infectious diseases and/or illnesses. May be exposure to biochemical agents. Some stress
resulting from frequent interruption of routines and demanding resident care needs and/or requests.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
1. Current Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario. Post Graduate Course at the Community College level in Gerontology. Three years experience in geriatric or long-term care setting.
2. Current C.P.R. certification
3. Medication administration course mandatory for R.P.N.’s
4. Excellent communication skills.
1. Reports to the Director of Health and Wellness.
2. Personal Support Workers are accountable to the R.N. or R.P.N.
3. Private Duty and Home Care personnel have the responsibility of communicating the status and care given to their clients to the R.N. or R.P.N.