Manages the efficient use of human, physical and financial resources to provide high quality services for residents of the retirement residence – within budgetary constraints and legislative requirements.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manages the retirement residence in accordance with legislative requirements.
2. Provides leadership in the implementation of policies and procedures for the various departments of the retirement residence – ensuring a high level of service for residents – and an effective operating environment for the staff.
3. Provides leadership in the achievement of the residence’s goals and objectives in providing services to residents. Assumes ultimate responsibility for providing and monitoring the levels of resident care for those residents requiring care.
4. Selects, develops and motivates Department Heads for the retirement residence operations and monitors performance to assure a high level of productivity and the best use of the capabilities.
5. Directs the budgeting process and manages the operation of the retirement residence within the approved budget. Oversees the accounting operations for the retirement residence. Makes recommendations to the Director of Operations for BAYBRIDGE SENIOR LIVING for additional equipment or other capital expenditures outside of budget and, and approval, arranges for purchase.
6. Ensures accurate records of residents, staff and the operations are maintained – in order to provide regular reports on financial, staff and medical information as required by legislation and BAYBRIDGE SENIOR LIVING.
7. Monitors all employee accident claims, completes correspondence with WSIB and implements modified work programs for employees – as applicable.
8. Responsible for overseeing and organizing all aspects of Health and Safety within the residence including, but not limited to:
- WHMIS training for all new employees and annually thereafter
- Legislative requirements
- Annual review of the Health and Safety policies as part of all performance reviews
9. Liaises with residents, families and the community in order to maintain a good public image for the retirement residence; with Government agencies and professional associations to keep abreast of current industry trends and standards.
10. Negotiates and/or participates in collective bargaining – if applicable and required, and provides for the administration of the collective agreement; handles all employee relations for non-unionized personnel. Handles all labour grievances on advice from the Director of Operations for BAYBRIDGE SENIOR LIVING.
Some emergency call requiring supervision at the retirement residence may arise during non-working hours – from time to time. Stress from the need to handle constant interruptions during the course of a normal work day. Stress from the need to manage legislative, budgetary and time constraints – and lead a staff team – meeting their needs and demands, as well.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Previous managerial experience in a residential retirement or long-term care setting is preferred. - - Recognition by relevant professional body or association (i.e. ORCA) as a General Manager or meets criteria for recognition of the same.
- Knowledge of legislation.
- Human relations skills required to handle a variety of interactions with resident, families, staff and the public.
Reports to the Director of Operations of BayBridge Senior Living.