Manages all aspects of food services within the facility to meet the nutritional needs of residents and to ensure the effective and efficient preparation and delivery of food to the residents within legislative and budgetary constraints, and maintains records as directed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plans, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of the food services department to provide high quality food service. Establishes and monitors workflow, evaluates performance and production, and makes changes as necessary to improve quality of service. Co-ordinates food services activities with those of other departments. Informs General Manager of ongoing administrative issues for the department. Schedules hours and assigns duties in the kitchen.
2. Selects, supervises and monitors food services staff and evaluates performance to assure a high level of productivity and the best use of staff capabilities, as well as to ensure that the dietary objectives are being met. Attempts to resolve personnel problems with staff and refers unresolved problems to the General Manager. Encourages staff participation in in-service education programs.
3. Identifies and co-ordinates appropriate in-service education programs for staff.
4. Establishes and oversees daily scheduled cleaning duties.
5. Provides orientation and instruction to new employees.
6. Establishes and implements BayBridge Senior Living policies and procedures in accordance with regulatory requirements.
7. Maintains direct resident contact and involvement in resident care health and wellness. Meets with residents regularly to assess/discuss food service needs and preferences. Completes a nutritional assessment on all new residents, and as required for all other residents.
8. Participates in multi-disciplinary care planning conferences to assess dietary needs of residents and monitors changing dietary needs. Develops individualized nutritional care plans. Documents on residents' health and wellness charts monthly.
9. Based on residents' preferences, plans regular and therapeutic cyclical menus to reflect the seasons and special events throughout the year.
10.Ensures food is prepared in accordance with health guidelines, including administering regular testing for quality assurance (temperature, taste, and food quality). Ensures regular swab testing of food preparation areas for infection control.
11.Participates in committee meetings such as Infection Control, and Health and Safety, as required. Establishes and maintains communications within the department, and with other departments, for staff and residents’ safety.
12.Maintains all required records such as invoices, reports, statistics, etc. in accordance with BayBridge Senior Living policies and procedures, and legislative requirements.
13.Liaises and consults with inspectors and professionals as appropriate.
14.Participates in budget preparation and control of monthly costs/variance reporting.
15.Orders and receives food and kitchen supplies within budgetary constraints and monitors inventory.
16.Oversees the department to facilitate the food services operations on a full-time basis. Performs the duties of the Cook on non-Department Heady (paper) days.
17.Provides food services to staff, family members of residents, and guests as required.
18.Responsible for overseeing all aspects of health and safety as it pertains to the food services department, including but not limited to:
§ WHMIS training and the annual verification of same for each employee
§ Knowledge and enforcement of all health and safety policies within the facility
§ Annual physicals, to ensure they are completed in a timely fashion
§ Annual review of health and safety policies for both the department and the facility as part of the annual performance appraisal for each employee
19.Performs other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of two-year community college Food Service Department Head Course.
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Food Service Department Heads' Association.
- Department Head skills required to manage staff and resources.
- Human relations skills required to handle a variety of interactions with residents, families, and staff.
- Demonstrated experience in large quantity food preparation.
- Formal cooking credentials would be considered an asset.
Reports to the General Manager.