Batesville Casket Company

Batesville Casket Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Company
Plant Controller (Former Employee), Manchester, TNSeptember 4, 2013
The company is very steady and stable. Well managed with a high quality of life.
Production/Engineering Manager,
PRODUCTION/ENGINEERING MANAGER (Former Employee), Manchester, TNJuly 18, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: long hours
I gave direction to the superintendants and Engineers in the facility. I handled a budget in excess of a million dollars a year.
Great place to work. Always looking for better ways to be more productive through lean manufacturing. Very creative place to work with good people.
Safety and Environmental Coordinator (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSJuly 6, 2013
Pros: very quality oriented
Cons: lean manufacturing lead to reduced overhead
50 hour work week with excellent co-workers. Management expectation very results oriented and the the most difficult portion of my job was to produce year over year improvements with statistics well below the national average for the industry. I really enjoyed the training and getting to work with the folks to create a safety culture that produced good results.
Great workplace
Prof (Current Employee), Manchester, TNJune 29, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: older equipment.
Drivers are treated with respect and the company values your input to make the job better. I would not be seeking employment away from this company if I had stayed in Tennessee and not moved to Florida.
Fun place to work
WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER (Former Employee), Batesville, INJune 18, 2013
Typical day s working on design and maintenance web based products.
great job with good benifits
Mig Welder, sewing machine operator. (Former Employee), Batesville, INMay 6, 2013
Pros: good money...good benifits...
Cons: way too much gossip on the floor...
Good place to work...Good people...Was laid off after ten years of service. Wish I had better memories of the place...
Leading company in caskets
P/T Non-union Admin (Former Employee), Moonachie, NJApril 23, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: union
Answer phones, take casket orders.

Management was weak in support for employees.
Trust your gut feeling - highly disappointed; poor department management style that encourages snitches and bullies; trust not there
Personalization Programmer/Designer (Former Employee), Administration Building, BatesvilleMarch 27, 2013
Pros: close to home, nice company (administration building) benefits
Cons: i would not choose to work for logistics in customer service in the administration buliding, favoritism comes first
Former personalization programmer/designer: I am writing this review to encourage the right person to apply for the position. Trust your gut feeling before taking this position. If you are considering taking this position in order to transfer to another department, wait until an appropriate position is available - if it is posted at all. This position might be okay as a part-time position a couple days a week.

This position is not a programming position nor does it have anything to do with graphic design or design in general. It is a production-based position with a proof quota that is not mentioned until you have worked on the job for a few weeks. Any and all other duties such as interacting with customers (funeral directors) about their order are not factored in the weekly production of the proof quota, even if a funeral director contacts the department numerous times and asks to speak with you and only you. If there are minimal orders in the morning or evening or if other factors limit the volume of orders to maintain a weekly proof quota, the 'dead time' (although not 'dead time') is averaged in as well. Proof numbers are the only consideration even though correctness/attention to detail are specified in the job description. If a worker has high numbers, numerous mistakes are ignored, and workers are not responsible for correcting their own errors. Be forewarned that although it is mentioned that you may take breaks including lunch breaks, this time is discouraged by the management of this department by actions. Proof production quota is determined by straight hours with no breaks. Be certain that you want to work in this type of atmosphere before taking a position in this department.
Gain Experience
CSR (Current Employee), Batesville, INJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: benefits, job security, great people to work with
Cons: longer hours, rarely advancement
Great company for benefits, people you meet, and job security. Working there over the years you develop great relationships with a close knit group for each department. Sometimes the long hours can eat into family time. All in all, one can gain a great deal of experience in the field they come to work there for.
Productive and good workplace - co-workers are friendly
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Batesville, INJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: like my hours and good health care
Cons: being on call
I take orders for custom panels and custom caskets from sales reps, funeral homes and our service centers. I process all rush caskets that are at need. I also transfer calls to other people in the company. The people I work with are great, always smiling. The hardest part of my job is when you know that the person we are doing a custom panel or unit fwas taken too early in life. I enjoy talking to our customers, sales reps and our Csc's and I like that I am able to help take care of a familys request in their time of need.
Would not want to work there again.
STROKE SANDER (Former Employee), Batesville, MSDecember 19, 2012
Pros: good money and insurance
Cons: short breaks and low down people
Most of the time I liked going to work, but some of the supervisors and workers were low down, do not like being around people like that.
Was good place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Batesville, INDecember 17, 2012
a typical day would be team meeting then walk the line see had any problems coworkers some were good some not
the work was hard, the pay was good
Assembler (Former Employee), Batesville, MSNovember 30, 2012
Pros: bonuses, picnics, parties
Cons: short breaks
The day starts group meeting after that it all rush, rush until end of shift.I learned that sacrefices have to be made in order to have a job.Management easy to talk with not willing to comprise.Co-workers can make the job hard for you or easier for you, depending on how they do their jobs.The hardest part of the job is the speed in which you have to work all day, every day.The most enjoyable part was the friends I made and the paychecks I recieved.If it were up to me I would still be there until retirement.
Traditional Company, Traditional Managers and Traditional Employees
Marketing (Former Employee), Batesville, INNovember 1, 2012
Pros: company's financial backup, fair benefit package, and relatively steady growth.
Cons: traditional managerial system, relationship talks first, long meetings, all-the-time busy managers, very slow to change, lots of ideas that stay ideas for ever !!
The company needs managerial improvements, more creativity, more adaptability to change and in overall more attention to the quality of performance rather than relationship.
Nice place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Batesville, MSOctober 23, 2012
I liked working for this company. Excellent benefits. Good pay. I left this company to go to nursing school.
Was thankful for having a job
Manufacturing Plant Operator (Former Employee), Batesville IndianaOctober 11, 2012
Pros: money etc.
Cons: not thoughtful of floor people
Enjoyed the benefits until I got laid off. Although, I was thankful for my job, it could be a very stressful environment to be in. They didn't listen to their employee's as well as I felt they should to make things run smoother.
Typical day
CNC Operator (Current Employee), Vicksburg, MSSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: experience, feedback
Cons: pay increases
I enjoy working for this company, A typical day at work for me is enjoying knowing that I did what is expected of me and more.
Nice place They have company picnics, and christmas party s
Waterspider (Current Employee), Batesville, MSAugust 29, 2012
Pros: they opened up a wellness center so we could go to the doctor without cost to us.
Cons: we only get 2 ten minute breaks.
Its hard work, but your co workers are friendly. You can talk to management anytime and are also friendly. I have been taught a lot about wood and how to use different saws and sanders. The hardest part is picking up the heavy oak panels to sand.
Busy work environment; good people
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Batesville, INAugust 22, 2012
Pros: excellent health care benefits, book club, quarterly (about) social gatherings
Rarely was there a "long" day at Batesville Casket! There was always plenty to keep me busy. Our IT department (internally known as BIS) juggled many projects to meet the strategic initiatives of the company and to provide excellent production support for our software. I was truly blessed to have worked with so many remarkable people. All displayed a terrific work ethic and true caring for one another. The hardest part of working there was the changing priorities (unavoidable in today's business environment). The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to work on challenging projects. I have learned so much by being open to projects outside my comfort zone. I believe that the critical role of good requirements is the most important thing I have learned.
lay-offs
Cap line associate welder/fabricator (Former Employee), Batesville, INAugust 18, 2012
I loved this job, i loved what i did and the people there. everyday i was on a different job, cause i know every job that was in c-14, welding grinding,sanding, in the process of coffins.|I was there for 13 years and then they let go of all of 2nd shift, with no recalls.

About Batesville Casket Company

Batesville Casket Company is headquartered in Batesville, Indiana; a small town with strong Midwestern values that guides the – Read more