Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

Great growth potential
Engineer (Current Employee) –  CanadaMarch 5, 2015
All the benefits of working for a recognizable industry leader with a lot of room to grow and ability to work on cutting edge projects.

A lot of great people within the organization to help you grow with a supportive environment.

The travel and the hours can be quite challenging at times but the rewards are equal.
The company is good to work for as I can work with anyone.
Shaftman/Hoist operator (Former Employee) –  Marathon, ONMarch 24, 2014
Doing all safety checks on all equipment that we use.Contact supervisor if any problems noticed and solve those problems before operating hoist.I loved to work with all those around me.The hardest part of my job was to train people that didn't have the will to be trained.If I thought they were untrainable then I would deem them as such.I loved the responsibility that came with the job in all areas.
Pros
great overtime, vacations time off, and benifits
Cons
management.
Good place to work, Great benefits, very professional environment
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2014
Is a really good place to work., highly professional, fast pace and a lot of stress (on a good way).
Place to show all your talent and to improve every day.
Very professional environment and also good culture.
Pros
benefits, salary, travelling, work with people from other cultures, management is very engaged and open, safety culture.
Interesting work, Iffy Managment
Fixed Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 18, 2016
Working for Barrick Goldstrike was an interesting experience. Their safety culture is one that I would describe as in the tops for mining industries located in the United States. Their goal was a zero incident vision that might possibly be attained in the future.
The management could really use so work. between fighting for parts, scheduling maintenance projects,j isolating equipment and fighting to keep up with the tons processed goal, was to say the least, a nightmare. Management without really seeming to know, would spend a dollar to save a dime. This is between waiting to start jobs, waiting for special ordered parts (that should have been more common than not (common pump rebuild parts, as one example)), isolating equipment (isolation lockouts and breakers being in multiple areas and in some cases taking upwards of half a shift to isolate equipment) and having a proper job plan in order to progress at a smooth pace.
I learned how to work as a mechanic in a team and how to communicate during critical tasks associated with the job. Working with the more experienced mechanics taught me a lot of the tricks and how tos with equipment. overall working for Barrick was a very positive experience for me and taught me a great may things both when I was a part of day crew and shift crew.
I think that working with older mechanics was the most enjoyable part of the job. They had a great many things to teach and never really held back with their information. The hardest part of the job would be the area and weather. employees had to be bused into the site which took generally
  more... an hour and the weather could be pretty harsh.  less
Cons
Super seven shift schedule, busing
Good work environment. Unstable at present.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2015
Barrick Gold is one of those companies which provide employees an environment of contribution and develops a sense of belonging.
Due to it's presence in many parts of the world it brings in front of you every day a new challenge and gives you opportunity to come up with creative solutions.
Barrick has been generous in rewarding good work.
Unfortunately, due to tough market situation particularly in area of precious metals, Barrick is going through it's most difficult times. This financial crunch and market pressure has forced Barrick to take some unpleasant decisions.
I am an experienced law enforcement and corporate security manager, instructor and investigator.
Senior Investigator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2014
I have been in law enforcement and related fields my entire career. I find the work challenging and rewarding. Being bi-lingual, I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico, Central and South America. I have managed and supervised law enforcement and corporate security personnel throughout the US and Latin America.

I am an experienced law enforcement and corporate security manager, investigator, and instructor. I am meticulous in my work ethic and responsible in time management. I have extensive training in law enforcement and a graduate of the Drug Enforcement Administration Basic Agent and Supervisor Academies. I am a graduate of the United States Army Military Police Polygraph School and the Reid School for Interview and Interrogation Techniques and the FBI Advanced Polygraph Studies at the University of Virginia.

I am a team player and as a manager take my responsibilities seriously. I am success driven in accomplishing my duties and inspire personnel under my command to always improve their duties and responsibilities and achieve success in their careers.
Multicultural and diverse
Manager Governance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2014
Barrick is world's largest gold producer with operations expanded to all continents from North & South America to Africa and Australia and so a typical day is a day with interaction with individuals from multiple cultural backgrounds and skill sets, offering exposure to interact with various layers of functional and line management at all levels. Barrick has employed one of the top talents across all functions , whether it is accounting, geology, engineering, supply chain or human resources and so there are exceptional opportunities to learn new things across multiple functions everyday.

Since Barrick is a large company with close to 15,000 employees, it sometimes becomes a challenge to make important decisions quickly and this is what is the most enjoyable part as well, as the due-diligence process employed to analyse and make informed decisions offers great opportunities to learn exciting new ideas and insights from operational as well as financial and strategic perspective.
Pros
multicultural and diverse
High pressure but rewarding environment.
SENIOR DIRECTOR, INVESTOR RELATIONS (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 7, 2015
High caliber colleagues but a challenging story to message; presented a high bar to excel at. Unconventional executive structure is starting to get some traction with investors.
Pros
travel, interaction with market
Cons
difficult and out of favor sector
Industry leader
Senior Manager, Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2015
Fantastic place to work. Very collaborative across functions and the organization as a whole embraces the rationale for strong social performance.
Good Workplace
Facilities Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2013
Barrick Gold is a good employer but they lack many of the standard processes that larger businesses have. They are still very much a the company that Peter Munk founded 27 yrs ago and still function as a small start up in many respects.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad people management
friendly staff
Financial Analyst, Strategic Planning (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2012
Great people to work with, great events. Co-workers and management really took the time to explained everything I need to know to me.
Very good company
Administrative Assistant to Senior Vice President (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Over my long tenure here I have enjoyed but most importantly learned so much from fabulous bosses and co-workers.
Pros
lunch and learn, all about the company in all parts of the world, gym membership