2014 SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
AT CAMP MAPLE LEAF
Leadership Program Coordinator
(9 weeks) Job #C2014-10
Located on Jacob’s Island, Pigeon Lake in the Kawarthas, Banyan’s Camp Maple Leaf is a residential summer camp experience for kids who would benefit the most from growing and learning while having fun, enjoying nature, making new friends and lasting memories. Camp Maple Leaf receives referrals from a range of social service organizations including the Canadian Armed Forces, Children’s Aid Societies, Big Brother/Big Sister, Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs, etc.
The duration of this summer position is from June 19, 2014 to August 25, 2014. Applicants must love camp, enjoy working with young people and have strong leadership skills. Lengthy stretches of 24 hour days dealing with Campers with high behaviour needs.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Camp Programs, the Leadership Program Co-ordinator position is normally a 9-week position which includes a training week. This position may require some telephone or Skype interviews, prior to contract start, to determine the successful applicants of the CIT program. This position is ideal for someone in, or preparing for work in, the Child and Youth Work, or Outdoor Recreation, field who enjoys working in a unique outdoor setting with at risk and vulnerable children.
The Leadership Program Coordinator receives accommodations at Camp, all meals, a competitive salary and a fantastic summer experience!
- Develop a leadership training program, approved by the Supervisor, Camp Programs and/or Summer Camp Director, appropriate to the needs of the Leadership Training initiatives that enhances the strengths and maximize the potential of campers and staff in the different stages of the program.
- Ensure that all Counsellors in Training (CIT) understand and follow camp procedures and behaviour guidelines.
- Under the leadership of the Supervisor, Camp Programs, monitor and actively supervise the Leadership-in-Training (LIT) Coordinators to ensure day-to-day operation in a safe and supportive manner enhancing individual and group strengths and maximizing potential.
- The Leadership Program Coordinator will plan, organize and participate with the CIT’s in several short overnight trips over the course of the camp season. This includes liaising with the Camp Caterer to organize CIT cook-out meals.
- Communicate with parents, guardians, and/or the community regarding the Leadership Development Program.
- Develop a schedule for the CITs to shadow and assist with camper programs and cabins.
- Monitor CITs efforts and experiences with campers and counsellors and provide feedback and direction leading to both future growth for the CITs and enhancements to the camper experience.
- Develop leadership development programs for both the LIT and CIT participants.
- Assist the Supervisor Camp Programs, as a member of the senior team, with other duties as assigned.
- Actively supervise assigned staff members, identifying strengths and weaknesses. Where necessary and in consultation with the Supervisor Camp Programs, undertake disciplinary actions in accordance with Banyan and Camp Maple Leaf policy, procedure, and practices.
- As a member of the camp Senior Staff team abide by and enforce the rules, procedures and policies of Camp Maple Leaf and Banyan Non-Profit Management Services with all staff and campers.
- Direct reports – LIT Coordinators, Counsellors-in-Training
- Providing written recommendations for potential staff candidates.
- Ensure the completion of all relevant incident reports (including serious occurrence reports) that originate within the staff group.
- Provide written recommendations to the Supervisor Camp Programs and Summer Camp Director at the end of the season for improvements to the next season.
- Member of the camp senior staff team. Mandatory attendance at daily operations meeting.
- Conduct and document staff evaluations, including LIT Coordinators and CITs, at the middle and end of the work term according to Banyan P&P.
- Ensure that all programming equipment is in safe and in working condition advising the Supervisor Camp Programs of any safety or health concerns immediately.
- Ensure the safety, health, and well-being of Counsellors in Training.
- Work with the Counsellors in Training to provide them with the skills needed to assist the regular staff with the campers and participate in their own programs.
- General cabin clean-up. Ensure that their living quarters and personal space are maintained in a neat and tidy manner, including hallways and washrooms.
- May be required to perform relief duties, for another staff member; for breaks, illness, etc.
- As a Camp Maple Leaf representative, act as a bus monitor to and from drop off and pick-up locations.
- Night supervision as assigned, sharing cabin with campers.
- Support all Staff during programs by being actively involved in Camper activities and provide additional supervision of Campers, including the Camp’s Crisis Response Plan.
- Degree or Diploma, or pursuing education in related field such as Outdoor Education or Recreation Education or Teaching or Child/Youth Worker. Preference given to those pursuing a career serving harder to serve children, at-risk youth, etc.
- Prior experience in camp environment an asset. Residential camp experience preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Criminal Records/Vulnerable Sector Check and Health Assessment required, as per the employment package, prior to commencement of work term at staff’s own expense.
- Current First Aid / CPR is required –preference given to those candidates holding the Wilderness First Aid
- Computer skills are required including Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook.
- Bronze Med / Cross or National Life Saving (NLS) certificate is required.
- Driver’s Licence is required (with relatively clean driving record). Must be insurable by the Camp’s providers.
- Pleasure Craft Operator card (PCOC) is required.
- Good camping and canoeing skills. Ability to lead a canoe/camping trip through open water to established camp sites for a 1-2 night stay.
Interested applicants are asked to make reference to Job # C2014-10, submit resume, cover letter and
copies of all degree/diploma, training and certifications to:
Manager of Human Resources
email or fax (905) 549-9011
Deadline for submission: January 10, 2014
Applicants are thanked in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 15 months ago