Banque Nationale Du Canada

Banque Nationale Du Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor, Poor Management & Training
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ontario, CanadaSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: no weekends ; no nights ; hour long lunch
Cons: no hours ; minimal staff ; ignorant management ; ancient computer systems ; almost no training
I was employed with the National Bank for a few months as a bank teller. I received a full week of computer training (reading through the banks PI's and security procedures) and probably 4 days max. of hands on training alongside another employee. Then, thrown onto the floor with my own cash and told "good luck!". The National Bank's computer system is so,so incredibly outdated - absolutely everything needs to be typed in by hand including certain screens you wish to access - you have to type in the screen name. (Complete waste of time!) The staff was far from helpful, huffing and puffing anytime I had to ask a question or need assistance. The Customer Service Manager rolled her eyes at me on several occasions for doing things incorrectly during my first couple of weeks. The Senior Customer Service Representative was so incredibly unpleasant to deal with every single day of work. The Branch Manager hardly ever spoke to the staff or acknowledged us, there were only about 9 employees. I decided to resign because the environment was so poor & the minimal to zero training made going to work an awful experience.
A stable place to work in an unstable field of work.
Consultant (Current Employee), MontrealDecember 9, 2012
Pros: lots of benefits, decent pay
Cons: people that call you up sometimes forget that you are also an individual and deserve respect.
A typical day at work revolves around the phone and email. As a virtual branch, all our communication with other consultants and clients is done this way. My team takes an average of 700 to 800 calls a week during regular months, and 1200 to 1500 calls during RRSP season.
I've learned a great deal about financing, loans and line of credit and the interaction of transactions within banking. Its possible to learn something new everyday as the rules of banking are constantly changing. My coworkers are all very pleasant and hard working and the management is the same. The hardest part about working here is constantly adapting to the new and creative problems our clients present us on a daily basis.
The most rewarding part of the job is right after you've solved a serious issue and are recognized for it.
My role as a Senior Financial Services Representative
Senior Financial Services Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 23, 2014
Pros: great vacation periods and benefits
I have over three years of experience working in a financial and administrative environment which has allowed me to gain extensive knowledge in dealing with a diversified clientelle, maintaining accounts, processing complex financial transactions, performing various administrative tasks as well as the proper handling of sensitive and confidential documentation. As a senior financial services representative, my position involves a high level of problem solving and attention to detail as I am expected to follow formal banking procedures. The most enjoyable aspects of my current job is that I am able to train current and new employees and that I am able to provide various financial solutions to clients.
Not well managed, Cold atmosphere, not helpful
client services representive (Former Employee), outaouaisMay 8, 2014
Pros: nice branch, because it was new
Cons: staff!!!
I worked at nation bank for a month or so, I quit due to lack of help when new at the branch, lack of management and very cold atmosphere, the branch was new just opened a month previous to my arrival at the company, most employees were very stuck up and snobs, the director of client service was very rude, cold, she had already got complaints from her other employees and customers and the place was new just opened up 2 months, had to go to different branches in outaouais region, again there staff very rude, and snobs. Did not like that its old programming, overall experience awful. Never again would I go back to that bank!
A Great experience in investment banking
Investment advisor (Former Employee), MontrealApril 22, 2013
Pros: very simulating, complex fast paced environment
Cons: limited career opportunities over the long term.
Receive on a daily basis incoming calls from existing and new customers regarding investments accounts, products, trends and strategies to adopt in their investment portfolio.

The goal is to maintain a high level of customer service and provide one call problem resolution.

As well, we need to interact with multiple departments in order to coordinate the research and resolution of multiple kind of customer needs.

Acheive the annual financial objectives, and quality call objectives rated by customers.
Stressful job, objectives to attain, really fun at the same time.
Personal Bank Advisor (Former Employee), Bourget, ONDecember 6, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: 8 hours wasn't enough
Management was a downfall since she was a new Branch Manager with no experience as managing a team. Co-workers were excellent at all time. Hardest part of the job was 8 hours wasn't enough as the only advisor at the branch, I often had to stay an hour extra to make sure I keep my clients satisfied.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people were always nice, it was fun to tell them what they need and what they should do with their money. I had objectives to attain and at the same time I was making sure my clients were leaving my office happy.
No structure or support for the Mortgage Development Manager Position
Mortgage Development Manager (Former Employee), Eastern OntarioJuly 3, 2013
Pros: friendly, relaxed atmosphere in the branch.
Cons: frequent equipment failures, conflicting lending guidelines and policies, low compensation, claw backs in the compensation program
National Bank is developing a revolving door for their Mortgage Development Manager position. There is little training, no support from Management to resolve issues, poor equipment, and non-competitive compensation. I would recommend you look to a more established financial institution to avoid the daily problems at National Bank.
Wonderful workplace
Personal Banking Advisor (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 18, 2015
Building exceptional business relationships and proposing strategies to optimize financial situation of clients Complying with bank and industry codes of conduct, and with securities laws and regulations, minimizing risks to the bank Exceeded my targets in Lending and Investments by creating opportunities that resulted in excellent business relationships. Handling transactions with precision and utmost ethical standards involving Mutual Funds, Opti-Market GICs and other managed products for clients from diverse cultural and socioeconomic
Good advancement opportunities and work experience
Skill Development & Quality Assurance Advisor (Former Employee), Montreal, QuebecMay 14, 2013
Loan and recovery department is a good entry level department in the bank. Students are welcomed and are offered paid training that helps them develop the right knowledge skills and abilities to perform in a financial institution.
The work environment is friendly and a good synergy is created among co-workers.
The collection department is a challenging and very interesting department where each day is different.
Salary in the call centre meets the standards of the market.
Good advancement opportunities.
Excellent place to work with friendly and productive environment.
Manager Bus. Dev.- Mortgages Whitby-Ottawa (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 24, 2013
Pros: daily opportunity to self-promote and to promote your products
Cons: competitive pricing by others sometimes hampered your ability to finalize some transactions
Job provided excellent opportunity for advancement provided you lived in the immediate Toronto area. It promoted initive and networking and was an excellent position until it was eliminated due to corporate restructuring.
This job provided numerous opportunites to meet new people and develop new relationships.
Great Environment and Great Co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 22, 2015
A typical day at work was usually me serving clients and trying to get them to buy products from the national bank. I learned great skills in the sales department, I learned to work independently, I learned to be quick on my feet and solve problems as fast as possible and I learned how to work effectively as a team. The hardest part of my job was learning how to make a sale when the client was stubborn. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with clients and meeting new people
Fun and challenging place to work
Business Development Manager, Investment Solutions (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
In my role, I was able to work with great autonomy while also being part of a team. I had flexibility in determining how I worked and what type of activities I pursued.

I also had regular meetings and coaching sessions with experienced, highly-regarded managers. This helped me to continue to work at a very high level.

I really liked the fact that I was able to have a very positive impact on the performance, success and confidence of all of the individuals that I supported.
National Bank
Mortgage Development Manager (Former Employee), Victoria BCOctober 1, 2014
Job consist of helping the customer service team in coaching and opening and closing the branch. I also assisted the financial planner and personal bankers on all their documents and back office duties. I also was in charge of the front desk and ordering all the supplies for the branch.Hardest part of my job was to be able to help everyone in the branch and not enough time in the day to do be able to assist other employees and get all my work done. Best part of the job was I got to work with many nice people.
Excellent enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee), Casselman, ONJuly 24, 2012
Pros: one hour lunches
Cons: long time sitting down
Everyday i came in from 7h30-3:30 and had a bbreak from 11:30-12:30. I had my list of things to do befor the end of the day and always cmpleted it. I learned alot about confidentiality and work ethics that have to be respected.Each and everyday had something new and exiting. I had amazing communication with the management and co-workers. The hardest prt of the job was having to sit all day. The mosyt enjoyable part of the job was having to find alot of interest out of all the employees.
Great for getting experience and applying it elsewhere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Montreal, CanadaJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Insurance
Cons: Long hours, non supportive superiors, very stressful
The bank is very stable generating millions of dollars in profit on a yearly basis. They take good care of their main share holders and the people who bring significant amounts of money on a regular basis. On the other hand they disregard their employees. Basically, they overwork you for the least they can pay you. You would have no appreciation for your work or your effort.
Exceptional Experience
Investment Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 17, 2014
• Achieve sales success as demonstrated by exceeding sales targets
• Prepare financial plans for clients with a mix of short and long term investments
• Provide an exceptional experience for new and existing clients by identifying their needs
• Follow rules and regulations of conformity before accepting and proceeding clients transactions
• Have a good understanding and be up to date with financial products and legislation
• Buy and sell investment products.
Very stressful management, micro management is frequent
Commercial Depositor (Former Employee), downtown calgary, albertaOctober 11, 2012
Pros: good benefits, nice fellow workers on your level
Cons: bad management, not flexible, don't expect to read a book if your not busy even if their is nothing to do, you'll get in trouble
If you have a slow day at work, expect to feel miserable as management does not know how to assign you work, yet scrutinizes you if they feel you are not working hard enough
Manager frequently came upstairs and kept staring at your desk which made you feel very uneasy
great place to work,awesome co-workers, culture/values
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Rockland, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: good team environment, good salary, good benefits, good mix with school
National Bank of Canada is a great place to work. The culture and values are strong, which brings out the team work in all individuals. I learned a lot about the banking industry and its environment. The co-workers are great and the most enjoyable part of my job would be to serve the clients needs. Helping people is the main objective!
A great boss and a good company to work for
Administrative Assistant, Information Technology (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2014
I had atonomy within my last position and if it had not been for restructuring I would still be there with a good bonus and raise.

My manager and I got along very well and then they gave me a second boss who was perviously one of my managers and we are still in touch to this day.

I loved my job because it provided diversity, required the use of my accounting skills and people skills.
Too much
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Montreal, QcFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: it's a respectible position to have in society
Cons: they don't pay you for the time it takes you to balance your cash
I learned how to propose banking products onto clients after analyzing their accounts and see what best product could fit them. The hardest part of the job was balancing the cash because we were a high volume operation. The sales objectives were realistic. Friday's after work we would go have drinks.
Headquarters