Bank of Montreal Employee Reviews

Poor Leadership
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
3 Re-organizations with a year and a half....and they still haven't finalized the structure. The team members haven't had a job mandate for this entire period.

They also have a lot of carrot dangling, where they say you're getting a new position and a pay raise, but then a new leader takes over and you get nothing.

Leaders promising changes jump ship mid way through the changes they have started. Then they hire a new leader and they make their own changes.

Some managers get promoted to higher positions when they have done a terrible job.
Pros
All have evaporated...none remain
Cons
Terrible leadership and theydon't reward good work.
Same as HSBC
Financial Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
come across many opporutnities and challenges every day I am at work. It's fun to deal with the unexpected daily, it makes the job so interesting and the learnings tremendous as I deal with each unexpecetd event as it unfolds.
I have a team who is passionate and motivated and we face our challenges together.
Leadership is about having fun while firm as well. Its about creating an environment where you walk through the door every morning and your excited for the day to begin and look forward to the highs and lows.
I thourougly enjoy every day with my team and look forward to the learnings each and every day.
Pros
Same as previuos with HSBC
Cons
Same as previuos with HSBC
Very fun environment in a professional setting
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 January 2017
The Bank of Montreal is a great place for you to understand the financial industry and a great way to strengthen your knowledge of finance. You do not need a background in finance to work here, the environment makes it easy and creates the willingness to learn. The management is great, I can say that with confidence because of my ability to work for various locations in my district.
Give & Take
Financial Services Manager & Portfolio Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto9 January 2017
1) Typical Day - very comfortable 8:30-5:30 job; if you want a job where you can have a solid work/life balance BMO offers that type of environment
2) Learning - BMO is still growing as a company so there are many opportunities for you to learn at a very slow and steady pace
3) People - colleagues are relatively courteous and workplace politics is very minimal compared to many firms in the industry
4) Hardest Part - this is a place where people can get comfortable easily and does not give enough fair opportunities for right talents to strive and stay motivated
5) Enjoyable - the people are very friendly and courteous which leads to a relatively nurturing environment for you to start off and grow as an individual
Great Learning Experience with ongoing support and learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 November 2016
Management is very supportive, and keep a close eye on ongoing CSR and customer activity. Discreetly appear to provide support to team with challenging customer situations.
Learning and changes are constant in the banking world. Team and management work well together to ensure all are in the loop.
Obtaining sales targets can be very challenging.
Most challenging learning experience of my career to date. Hard to believe how much is required behind the scenes - tons of pressure to get the online learning completed quickly to be an active CSR.
Pros
Annual bonuses
Cons
Meeting sales targets required to determine wage increase rate
Challenging environment, exposure to multi-national, highly skilled and talented teams
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
Corporate Audit is the best boot camp for learning about the inner tickings of a large financial institution. There is lots of exposure to different back office operations of the Bank in various locations across the city, province and country. Learning is heavily supported and is part of your mandatory yearly performance.
unfair and discriminative place to work
Financial Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 December 2016
If you have to choose to work at fast-food or BMO, I advise you to go with fast-food, because BMO is the worst place to work. Its executive just talk big but treat their employees like a slave. They talk about giving big to the community but without giving second thought they are good at snatching a bread from employees’ mouth.
Pros
free banking
Cons
Long and unpaid hours
very good work atmosphere
Sr.Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  North York, ON29 November 2016
My typical day at work always started with looking forward to go to work as I loved working at BMO. I have learned to work independently while being in the team. Management was very good which was always liberal to take decisions independently valuing my knowledge. The most enjoyable part of the job is that this project was new and it was good to learn something new.
Productive and fun workplace, great people
Senior Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 September 2016
Computing skills, face on client interactions, handling of confidential information, sales, teamwork, branch opening-closing, alarms, securities. Communication skills, ‘in case of hold up’ procedures, product knowledge, keeping up-to-date with changes, organizing both time and work, working under pressure, common courtesy, warm welcome, inviting smile, etc.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday
Fast Paced Environment/Great tools provided for new learners
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
-very fast paced
-friendly and energetic team
-management not too organized
-hardest part of the job would be to run the branch on a continues basis with very minimal staff
-most enjoyable would be customer facing interaction, coaching the team to know you are making a difference to succeed end of the day
productive
Mortgage and Lending Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2017
 Over 4 years of banking and 6 years of insurance experience in the following areas: Sales & Marketing, Client/Customer Servicing, personal lending, investments, everyday banking needs, finance, insurance claims Examining/Auditing (auto), and Relationship management-corporate accounts.
 Skilled Communicator; ability to build strong, effective rapport with diverse range of clients/customers.
 Highly self motivated team player, with eagerness, competitiveness and confidence to engage in work which demands multitasking, surpassing targets, team leadership and high pressure.
 Customer service driven; ability to provide an enhanced customer experience while meeting company objectives.
 Outstanding research and business development acumen. Capable of identifying new business opportunities by analyzing market needs and capitalizing on trends before competition.
Good place for entry level job in banking
Lending specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 October 2016
Great place for an entry level job position. Overall good management and opportunities to advance. Pay could definitely be better. 3 weeks paid vacation and good benefits.
Pros
Good advancement opportunities. Paid vacation. Good place to build a career in banking.
Cons
Schedules are not always the best. Pay could be better.
working in customer service takes a toll on you
Weekend Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Old Montreal, QC3 January 2017
the job itself was very tiring having to deal with irate clients all the time, as well as having a sales objectives to meet. however being able to help clients make a difference in their lives was a very satisfactory experience
Pros
good salary
Cons
micro management
fun place to work
Data Reporting Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A typical day come in go to our desk performed alpha and numeric data entry. Called other Bank of Montreal branches and Armored Car Services to discuss resolution issues regarding ATMs. Laided back environment, easy to get along with your co-workers. Great lunch room
Pros
causal fridays, potluck
Cons
took me a while to understand the software they were using so i made some mistakes
Provides great customer and sales experience
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 December 2016
Typical day includes having holistic conversations, matching products with clients' needs which in turn helps them realize their financial goals. Outbound calling in order to build pipeline and ensure that I meet my sales targets.
A typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 December 2016
A typical day of work is when my work is done well and completed and my clients are happy .I am able to help and reach out to most of my client .
I am able to help out my co workers if they need my hand .
I like fun and happy environment .
Pros
great company
Work Experience at Bank of Montreal
Front-end UI/UX Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2016
The team is so collaborative, supportive and great. They follow Agile methodology for their daily work which makes the workload much heavier and the workflow much faster than usual.
Cons
Heavy workload, technology confusion
Great people to work with
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB23 July 2016
It was a great place to meet new people and become friends, but the company itself I was not impressed with. Over the years they became very money hungry and not caring about their staff. They go on about it being a great place to work, and they were at the beginning. Caring about our families, saying family was #1, and then it became all about more money, trying to take money from people that didn't have any to give. Constantly increasing fees, asking for more business from people when there is none to give. If you want respect and loyalty from your staff, you have to give respect and loyalty in return.
BMO has a great work ethic, carrier opportunities and job securrity.
Processing Officer (Current Employee) –  119 St-Jacques Ouest, Montreal, QC H2Y 1L65 August 2016
Being a new immigrant and working with BMO gives me the privilege to work in such a big company and also helps me to integrate in the Quebec Society. Colleagues were very helpful and they makes me feel at ease at work. The learning procedures when well and I was not afraid to say that I do not understand a particular thing because the colleagues were very helpful.

My day at work starts with opening my pc and answer my emails. followed by analyzing, keying and validating invoices throughout the day. Must make sure to meet the required number of invoices to be keyed per day.

What I like most working with BMO is the working culture and the act of Being BMO Beam that is :
-Speak up and be candid
-Listen without judging
-Make it your problem
-Unite to serve ...... the list is long
The Bank
Lending and Investment (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2016
Working with the bank has been an experience like none other. I never thought I would stick around for a decade, but the relationship I built with my clients and co-workers alike was worth it. Time flew by without me noticing. I never considered myself a banker, I was allowed to be creative enough when necessary and growth was always just around the corner.
Pros
A piece of mind, lots of room to grow
Cons
If you do not enjoy corporate culture it could be difficult at first