Bank of Montreal Employee Reviews

Give & Take
Financial Services Manager & Portfolio Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto9 January 2017
1) Typical Day - very comfortable 8:30-5:30 job; if you want a job where you can have a solid work/life balance BMO offers that type of environment
2) Learning - BMO is still growing as a company so there are many opportunities for you to learn at a very slow and steady pace
3) People - colleagues are relatively courteous and workplace politics is very minimal compared to many firms in the industry
4) Hardest Part - this is a place where people can get comfortable easily and does not give enough fair opportunities for right talents to strive and stay motivated
5) Enjoyable - the people are very friendly and courteous which leads to a relatively nurturing environment for you to start off and grow as an individual
productive
Mortgage and Lending Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2017
 Over 4 years of banking and 6 years of insurance experience in the following areas: Sales & Marketing, Client/Customer Servicing, personal lending, investments, everyday banking needs, finance, insurance claims Examining/Auditing (auto), and Relationship management-corporate accounts.
 Skilled Communicator; ability to build strong, effective rapport with diverse range of clients/customers.
 Highly self motivated team player, with eagerness, competitiveness and confidence to engage in work which demands multitasking, surpassing targets, team leadership and high pressure.
 Customer service driven; ability to provide an enhanced customer experience while meeting company objectives.
 Outstanding research and business development acumen. Capable of identifying new business opportunities by analyzing market needs and capitalizing on trends before competition.
Its a good workplace to work depends in which branch you are working
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2017
Its a client facing role where i meet various clients with different banking requests like deposits,payments,wire,utilities payment etc.

I have learned various things like different banking plans, banking processes, time management skills, handling difficult customer.

I have got an opportunity to work with different people with different background and different culture.

The hardest part of a job is i am not getting much hours because there are 4 part time CSRs.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people and interacting with them.
Cons
less hours
Poor Leadership
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
3 Re-organizations with a year and a half....and they still haven't finalized the structure. The team members haven't had a job mandate for this entire period.

They also have a lot of carrot dangling, where they say you're getting a new position and a pay raise, but then a new leader takes over and you get nothing.

Leaders promising changes jump ship mid way through the changes they have started. Then they hire a new leader and they make their own changes.

Some managers get promoted to higher positions when they have done a terrible job.
Pros
All have evaporated...none remain
Cons
Terrible leadership and theydon't reward good work.
Great Learning Experience with ongoing support and learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 November 2016
Management is very supportive, and keep a close eye on ongoing CSR and customer activity. Discreetly appear to provide support to team with challenging customer situations.
Learning and changes are constant in the banking world. Team and management work well together to ensure all are in the loop.
Obtaining sales targets can be very challenging.
Most challenging learning experience of my career to date. Hard to believe how much is required behind the scenes - tons of pressure to get the online learning completed quickly to be an active CSR.
Pros
Annual bonuses
Cons
Meeting sales targets required to determine wage increase rate
Friendly and efficient working environment with great advancement opportunities
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 July 2016
If you can manage to land a full time position as opposed to a contract one (which is nearly impossible!) this is an amazing place to work for with great managers and amazing coworkers with an extensive savings and retirement plan. This place used to be all full time employees, but now the company is back filling full time positions with contractors - which means no vacation, no sick days, no job security (they can literally fire you at a moments notice) and no benefits. Unless you're one of the higher ups, you're almost guaranteed a contract position. I would love to work here the rest of my life but my need for health benefits due to my medical condition is forcing me to leave, and most people here have to wait up to 5 years until a full time position is open for their department.
Pros
Amazing management and coworkers, great opportunites
Cons
contract positions
Good place for entry level job in banking
Lending specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 October 2016
Great place for an entry level job position. Overall good management and opportunities to advance. Pay could definitely be better. 3 weeks paid vacation and good benefits.
Pros
Good advancement opportunities. Paid vacation. Good place to build a career in banking.
Cons
Schedules are not always the best. Pay could be better.
Excellent Team / Individual work balance
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
Great place to learn team building, scheduling, and management skills. Time management is a MUST in this position. Multi-tasking, sales / customer service balancing, outbound calling, scheduling, building your own network, and legal compliance are all required to be successful in the industry.
Pros
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
Cons
Lots of Education, Certifications and Licencing required to advance career (slow career advancement)
Good stable company with good benefits
Senior Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Solid large company to work for. Has the typical pit fall of being a bit too bureaucratic. Benefits are good and in line with other banks. Jobs had good work life balance, some times required staying late but overall pretty flexible, with flexible work options.
Productive and friendly environment place to work
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
BMO is a good company to work for, with great benefits and good work life balance.

The job advancement has been good, with lots of support to move forward as well.
working in customer service takes a toll on you
Weekend Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Old Montreal, QC3 January 2017
the job itself was very tiring having to deal with irate clients all the time, as well as having a sales objectives to meet. however being able to help clients make a difference in their lives was a very satisfactory experience
Pros
good salary
Cons
micro management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 January 2017
must be a sales oriented person
management is great and helpful
must be willing to work hard
opportunity to advance to higher positions
good work life balance
Large company
integration support (Former Employee) –  SCC24 October 2016
As in all very large companies, it is difficult to get noticed. It is very much like service in the army. You sign up for a certain number of years , some advancement if you are lucky and then you retire.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
you are a cog in a very very large machine
Good Work / Life balance
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
Company itself is great, but certain department need to to improve their management and review their salary. Lots of space for growth, people are friendly and helpful.
Great organization to work and grow if you can get past work politics
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2016
This was job, was my stepping stone to my other opportunities. I am very grateful for this opportunity as I started my BA career here. Very fast paced and dynamic environment with each day offering a new challenge and keeping one on their toes. Work culture can get political sometimes. However hard work is recognized and rewarded fairly.
Pros
Learning never stops, fun and dynamic work environment
Cons
Remuneration is not as great, and work culture can be political
good employer
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2016
Very good company and culture. My last 3 years were excellent with this employer. Ths financial institution have similar culture from other financial institution.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
advancement oppoortunity very difficult
Good
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2016
There is no job security in BMO; i guess it comes with the industry.
Management has good intentions but seems to never act upon them.
Great employee banking.
Very fun environment in a professional setting
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 January 2017
The Bank of Montreal is a great place for you to understand the financial industry and a great way to strengthen your knowledge of finance. You do not need a background in finance to work here, the environment makes it easy and creates the willingness to learn. The management is great, I can say that with confidence because of my ability to work for various locations in my district.
Productive and fun work place lovely people
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2016
I worked for BMO since 2006 February two months contract and May 2006 I was made full time. The salary wasn't great but the co workers were lovely. I had a great time, I loved what I was doing. Change of managers made life a bit difficult and things began to fall apart. The Manager brought her new people and no one in the higher management knew what was going on and all the old people who worked for 10 + years were laid off from their jobs. I am a hard working person and who would get Bravo's all the time so I did not find any reason to be laid off. There are other co workers who have not found an answer as to why we were laid off. I loved working with BMO but the Managers were VERY UN FAIR. Someone is watching!

Thank you for give me this opportunity to speak my feelings. I hope to get a Job soon.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Long hours work
Great Place to Work
Senior Business Consultant IFRS (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 October 2016
BMO is a great place to work. Great team and great work culture..People are very supportive and friendly.

Overall great place
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Long Hours