Banana Republic Employee Reviews

Fast paced and busy but fun
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
Depending on what store you work at, it can get pretty crazy. My store has incredible rush hours, but the leaders are all amazing at making sure no one actually goes crazy.
Gap Inc pays a lot of attention to employment laws in Ontario, and you are always assured of getting the required breaks for your shift; no one is ever bypassed on that.
The employee discount is quite good.
A job
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2017
At times good management and good people but due to the changing nature of retail landscape you also see good people move on to good things. Fast-paced environment.
Pros
good people
Cons
inconsistent hours
Fantastic Boutique Store Culture
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  London, ON3 August 2017
Despite being a large chain, the Banana Republic stores feels much more like a small boutique store when it comes to the culture and teamwork.

The store often operates like a small family and we can rely on one another to ensure we are meeting our targets and providing the best customer service.

Being in retail there are always bad days. Sometimes it's a nasty customer, other times incidences occur that just simply aren't in our control, and that's usually the hardest part. Dealing with though situations to keep management, corporate, and our customers happy.

Overall, I have really enjoyed my time with Banana Republic.
Pros
Family Oriented Team, Not Commision Based, Stellar Discount
Cons
Un-Paid Lunches
Fast-paced place get ready to go home exhausted every day
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 August 2017
Managers very primarily focused on achieving daily goals at any expense, even well-being of employees.. Very poor regard to effect of management decisions on employees such as scheduling, cutting shifts, and partialism to favoured employees
Pros
50% off original priced items
Cons
Managers constantly need to be reminded to give you your break
work life balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2017
lots of opportunity within the company but not an environment of work life balance. a high turnaround in both management and associate team. lots of training is available but not enough team enforcement in positive outcome.
customers more important than internal team!
Pros
lots of training available
Cons
do not care much or stand by associates
Worst Job culture
Visual Merchandiser Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 July 2017
The management is not that good. Their employee traffic is high because the company doesn't care on having their employees happy and comfortable in the workplace.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 July 2017
I had a great experience working at banana republic. I enjoyed learning from the sales team. I worked mainly on cash but did have a few training sessions on sales. I would definitely recommend those who are looking for a retail job to banana republic.
Great atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 July 2017
Banana Republic pushes hard to meet targets, store associates are expected to be well versed in deifferent clothing articles, as well as fits and sizes available.
Nice place to work but no life balance
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2017
I engage with many customers every day to meet their immediate needs along which I offer advice, handle objections and complete sales . Resolve client problems quickly and/or refer to colleagues, as appropriate.
the hours are not always dependable
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC5 June 2017
it is a very welcoming environment,
can be very accommodating
the most enjoyable part of the job is helping my customers being attentive to their style needs for example it is very important to get to know and understand your clients be able to if necessary nudge them out of their comfort zone and receive a satisfying response, make them more open to change.
the hardest part of the job is the undependable hours.
Pros
satisfying my clients
Cons
hours are not dependable
Retail 101
Sales/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2017
Banana Republic is like any other retailer. Nothing special. It is all about making the day's quota and selling as much merchandise as possible. It can be exhausting.
Medicore at best
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 June 2017
Working at Banana Republic was a good part-time experience. However, the company itself rarely gives its employees any hours, so I would not recommend this to someone as a full time gig
A great retail job experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 May 2017
- a highly productive and motivating workplace
- learned how to enhance the customer shopping experience
- able to engage with co- workers and management effectively
great place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
Gap is a great company to work for. They give you everything you need to succeed in your role and compensate you really well. I would highly recommend looking at Gap if you are looking for a career in retail
Lots to know
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2017
product knowledge is key to succeeding well in this company
although there is a target sales number that you need to meet each day, commission was not included in such.

overall, great people to work with
Like the people I work with
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 May 2017
The overall group of people I work with our great, but some are not good at their jobs and aren't being let go do to "policy" on strikes and warning. As well, management is constantly in my ear about numbers and on my back and I can't stand that. I'm good at what I do, let me do my job and stay out of my ear.
Cons
Terrible pay
Stern workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
I enjoyed my time here surrounded by fun loving co-workers; however, management was overly controlling and made the environment somewhat uncomfortable.
Productive and Fun
Sales/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
Really great place to work. A lot of time was spent given formal training at the begging of the period. The managers were amazing and really on top of their game.
Fun and Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON17 April 2017
Banana Republic was an awesome company to work for. The staff and management were very kind, management was always understanding and accommodating and the hours were good as well. the company was always rewarding the individual stores that meant certain sales goals with money for staff meetings, staff outings, and stuff for the staff room.
Brand Ambassador at Banana Republic
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2017
Overall experience at Banana Republic was pleasant. Management is always readily available and team leads are also very helpful in terms of coaching and aiding in closing sales. Although not commission based, you do feel a pressure to make targets and stand out (much like in all retail environments). Movement and capability to advance is slim as most positions are held by veterans despite performance.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
No advancements, management dependent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banana Republic. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval