Banana Republic Employee Reviews in Canada

A great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 17, 2016
I enjoyed working for BR while I was there. I had alot of fun with the employees and the work ethic was superb. We were able to do our work while enjoy our time with eachother. Clients and the environment made it alot of fun and added an exciting mix to the job.
There were a few downsides to the job, especially when it came to dealing with certain management team members. A couple of them were very tattle tail type people or just micromanagers. Namely the stock supervisor at the Burlington store. She tends to just write you off once you make one mistake.
I professionally don`t think that is a justifyable reason to remove someone from a position, however an opportunity to coach them to be a better worker. That`s what a true manager does, unless you see a real justifyable reason why they don`t want the person to continue.
But overall, a great company to work for.
Pros
Snacks and DVDs where you can enjoy in the lunch room; outings with some of the employees, clothing
Cons
sometimes long hours, when it`s not busy, alot of the same repetitive tasks, wages
Great job for students
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Don Mills, ONJanuary 30, 2016
-Co-workers were all amazing individuals
-Taught me a lot when it came to women clothing
-If it is dead and everything is organized its the worst thing ever because management keep barking at you to sell more even if one customer walking in every 2 hours
-everyone was really nice
-only thing is that's a big downside to this job is if there are no customers they still expect you pull out sales out of thin air
Pros
everyone was very nice
Cons
short shifts max 4-5 hours
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier/Greeter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Talk to guests and customers, learned valuable people skills, and multitasking and styling customers, fun atmosphere and co workers, management is friendly.
Pros
flexible
It is not friendly environment and people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 21, 2016
I learned how to manage many different tasks and how work the job at a store. I did not like of the management and my co-workers. The reason for this is because it was not a friendly environment. Everyone was rude and snarky; being one way to your face another behind your back. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all my fellow new hires and the discounts.
Pros
co-workers not friendly
Cons
beneficits
Not the best people to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughn, ONOctober 5, 2015
My day consisted of greeting guests, folding/hanging and putting back clothes in their proper area, cashing guests out, getting different sizes for guests from the back of the store and cleaning the store at the end of the work day. I learned how to manage many different tasks when you have to do them all at once. I was not a fan of the management and my co-workers. The reason for this is because as much as they made it seem that they wanted to help everyone and that it was a friendly environment, it was actually the total opposite. Everyone was rude and snarky; being one way to your face another behind your back. I personally was not a fan of this high school behaviour which was even coming from my managers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the codes that were suppose to be used especially because of all the traffic in the store around Christmas and New Years. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all my fellow new hires.
Pros
The fellow new hires I met.
Cons
People I worked with and environment.
Very Productive and fast paced environment to work in.
Merchandise Presentation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 14, 2016
Working at Banana Republic each day is different. With new and exciting merchandise coming in weekly, dealing with sell thru we are kept busy. Working daily with staff and customers I have learned a great deal and have further developed my leadership skills. Working with my team and creating a compelling store environment is my most enjoyable part of my job.
Not good for wages.
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2016
Terrible wages but the people you meet are great, it seems the store in yorkdale was great at one point. There were legitimate interactions with guests which was great, though the decline of such interactions began closer to the time I left. Sales became more important.
Good atmosphere and product
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 10, 2016
Not the best place to make money or a career at...

But it's a good place to go work to. The team spirit is good, managers respect the employees and their needs.

The product you're selling is great and customers are interesting to serve.
Pros
teamwork, good environment
Cons
pay, promotion opportunity
Br
Assistante Gérante (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMay 7, 2016
Banana Republic is a great work environment with a wonderful team to work with. You are always learning something new everything and are able to work while also having fun. Management is great, human resources are always there for you no matter the issue. The bonus was always very appreciated as well.
Good Solid Retail Experience
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 12, 2016
Strong Organization with well intentioned people focus. Strong communication and organization approach. Great place to learn the retail business and advance your career.
Pros
Communication, Organization, Pay, Benefits
Cons
retail schedule
Excellent employer
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 27, 2015
Excellent Employer. Learned a lot about retail sales and customer service. Seasonal employee now looking for part time work. management fair and helpful
Good job for university
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 27, 2016
Good job for university but thats pretty much it. I wouldnt work here if I had actual dreams. It's basic retail but customers are just ruder and more entitled.
Good team to work with on a daily basis
Stock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 16, 2015
Different duties on a daily basis. Management is bias and picks favorites. Development in minimal from management team especially store manager and associate manager. Assistant managers are good leaders. Hardest part of the job is not being acknowledged for all the hard work you put in, manager seems to take the credit for the work of associates and assistant managers. Most enjoyable part is working with the team under me, they worked very hard for me. Enjoyed training, developing and being around them. Review is location based. Company has very nice discount policy and pretty good benefits.
Pros
good discounts & benefits
Cons
Manager
Friendly environment
Operation and Technologies Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMay 11, 2016
Very friendly environment with management always helping with your growth in the company. Many training programs to ensure employee success.
Serious workplace
Sales Associate/Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
- Our guest is our priority.
- Assist in Cash when needed.
- Process merchandise from fits to floor.
- Help in overnight shipments and markdowns.
- Merchandising.
loved working here
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCJuly 19, 2016
low pay , no commission, usually send u home if its not busy, waste of time coming to work, management is very good but clique"
Fun and relaxed workplace
Sales Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2016
Fun sales job. Relaxed environment. If you're doing your job and do it well, managers make sure to take care of you.

Pay however, is mediocre and there seems to be no sales incentives.
Fun individuals to work with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCFebruary 15, 2016
I learned a lot about myself and how I can handle myself in pressure situations also I gained great amounts of customer service and salesmen ship
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
sometimes will be really dead
Great place to start as a first job.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 10, 2014
The Banana Republic at Vaughan Mills has a great management team and co-workers. Everyone respects one another and teamwork is what helps strive the business success. Whether you are on the sales floor, fits or cashwrap, there are certain targets you have to try to meet which are reasonable. Everyone works as a team and as long as management sees you are doing your best, that's what they care about the most because they know the store won't meet its target every time. Great place to get experience in retail especially in customer service. The most enjoyable part of this job for me is able to interact with the co-workers and customers as that leads to a strong friendship formation.
Pros
great team, employee benefits.
Cons
no steady hours, shifts vary from opening shift to mid-day to closing.
Productive and fun
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSDecember 21, 2015
Working at Banana Republic as an brand ambassador helped me to learn a lot about professional world of retail and helped me to put my passion of communication into my work. Working environment was very fun and productive at the same time.