Banana Republic Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great retail environment with effective and supportive team management. Good benefits and had lots of fun learning about the retail fashion industry.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Eaton CentreMay 28, 2013
Pros: great salary benefits and supportive team management
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work would be maintaining an awareness of all promotions and advertisements and informing customers about these special discounts. Assist in floor moves, merchandising, display maintenance, and housekeeping as well as help in processing and replenishing merchandise and monitoring floor stock.
Aid customers in locating merchandise and communicating customer requests to management. Assist in completing price changes within the department. The normal sales associate duties are dealt with but since I had such friendly co-workers and management, it would be a pleasure performing all these duties and it wouldn't seem like it was a strain. The hardest part of the job would be the physical aspect when we had to carry the delivery merchandise inside the store or when we had to carry boxes back and forth from the back room to the store front. However, there is an upside to that since it was delivery day, we had the opportunity to be the first ones to see the new clothing items and it was always such a treat. The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the interaction between myself and the customers. It makes me extremely content when a customer asks me if I can help them pick out an outfit or accessories for an important day. The fact that I can contribute my expertise on fashion advice is really crucial and if I could leave the customer with an amazing impression on the store, that's a true bonus for me.
Striving to keep on trend
Merch Presentation Supervisor (Current Employee), pointe claireOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Variety
Cons: Overworked at times
Review the numbers across the district, check the daily promos, accept the shipments, set goals for the team, give important daily product info to the team in order to boost sales, implement new visual displays and merch the new product. Aid at cash when rush time arrives. Give breaks in timely order to all employees of the day. Solve any client issues that may arise. Give a customer service that goes beyond what other competitors offer. Educate clients of our tissues and how to care for our pieces. Help make outifts to please clients. Execute windows and icons as needed and meet dealines assigned by head office. Re merch in order to better accomodate promos in store.Add and cut shifts in function of the business. Replenish the floor to ensure good sales, give constructive feedback to employees on how to improve on sales floor.Openings and closings. At times overnight shift to place new flow. Guide team through markdowns and markups. Managing my time and prioritizing throughout the day. Started working at the flagship BR in 2006 upon its opening. Been at fairview since March 2015. Multitasking is how to stay on top when you are in a small volume store. Each day is varied and we must all be very dynamic in order to keep on top and remain a competitor on retail business. We rely greatly on the productivity of one another to keep pushing ahead as a team.
Extremely beneficial & exciting workplace
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 22, 2013
A typical day at work for myself as a sales associate consists of consulting with customers in fitting rooms and helping them pick out appropriate garments that flatter their figure and are suitable for their daily life. I also fold and stack merchandise to make sure all visual merchandising standards are maintained, and assist customers with any questions or concerns. Through working at Banana Republic I have learned excellent customer service skills, an in-depth knowledge of the company background, extensive knowledge on products and fit, and how to manage inventory. The management team I work with is exceptionally easy to get along with, helpful and encouraging, and always cheerful and excited about their job. I have a close relationship with everyone on the management team and feel blessed to gave such wonderful employers. My co-workers are also all very cheery and enthusiastic, and we always work together and help each other whenever possible. I truly love my job at Banana Republic and hope to eventually obtain career advancement for myself within the company.
Entry level retail experience
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 6, 2015
Pros: frequent breaks, usually relaxed environment
Cons: dealing with returns and refunds
My regular shifts were 5-7 hours, depending on sales. But on a typical Saturday evening, it would be quite busy, balancing 2-5 guests at once on the sales floor. Since there was no commission, teamwork was mandatory in creating an exceptional guest experience. Each guest was treated equally, greeted as soon as they walked in the store, until they walked out.
My main job was being on cash. If there were no guests in line, I'd go through the closet of returns, and reticket/re-arrange and colour/size coordinate them to a rack where then I put back on the sales floor.
There would typically be one manager, and one supervisor, who would tell me and the team what to do.
Sometimes I'd fill in breaks for an employee from the fitting room. The fitting room was quite challenging for me as some guests would demand many different styles at once and I'd try my best to fit their needs.
Overall, this seasonal retail experience was enjoyable. I would love to work with Gap Inc. once again if given the opportunity.
A great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: Snacks and DVDs where you can enjoy in the lunch room; outings with some of the employees, clothing
Cons: sometimes long hours, when it`s not busy, alot of the same repetitive tasks, wages
I enjoyed working for BR while I was there. I had alot of fun with the employees and the work ethic was superb. We were able to do our work while enjoy our time with eachother. Clients and the environment made it alot of fun and added an exciting mix to the job.
There were a few downsides to the job, especially when it came to dealing with certain management team members. A couple of them were very tattle tail type people or just micromanagers. Namely the stock supervisor at the Burlington store. She tends to just write you off once you make one mistake.
I professionally don`t think that is a justifyable reason to remove someone from a position, however an opportunity to coach them to be a better worker. That`s what a true manager does, unless you see a real justifyable reason why they don`t want the person to continue.
But overall, a great company to work for.
Not the best people to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vaughn, ONOctober 5, 2015
Pros: The fellow new hires I met.
Cons: People I worked with and environment.
My day consisted of greeting guests, folding/hanging and putting back clothes in their proper area, cashing guests out, getting different sizes for guests from the back of the store and cleaning the store at the end of the work day. I learned how to manage many different tasks when you have to do them all at once. I was not a fan of the management and my co-workers. The reason for this is because as much as they made it seem that they wanted to help everyone and that it was a friendly environment, it was actually the total opposite. Everyone was rude and snarky; being one way to your face another behind your back. I personally was not a fan of this high school behaviour which was even coming from my managers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the codes that were suppose to be used especially because of all the traffic in the store around Christmas and New Years. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all my fellow new hires.
Fast Paced Retail
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: customer connections, ability to develop within the company
Cons: high stress, sometimes problematic customers
Over the past five years, Banana Republic at Yorkdale has provided me with the skills and training to conquer the customer service industry. I have acquired a strong foundation in: multitasking in very high paced environments, patience and problem solving skills, a fun and outgoing personality to connect with customers, learning to flex between various work centers, a sense of leadership and the skills needed to manage a large team. Management works together to inspire hard work in their employees. My coworkers are great in supporting and inspiring each other to do our best as individuals with team oriented goals. The hardest part of the job is working in a high paced environment that is very busy and sees a variety of customers daily. The most enjoyable part of the job is the connection you can build with your customers.
For the most part people were friendly, but very demanding and rude
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSOctober 15, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of me arriving, clocking in, checking where I was to go that day, grabbing a walkie and a lanyard, then going out to the section I was told to go. Most of the management seemed fine, there was only one manager who I had problems with when I couldn't make it due to a snow storm. My co-workers were all very friendly and I got along with all of them. The hardest part about the job was probably having to reach for things I couldn't reach, like manicans or when I had to go out back to see if there was any more of a product. My favourite part of the job was working in the fitting room because there was always something to do, it was always moving, you had to get people into rooms and fold all the clothing they left behind, while making sure the rooms were all cleaned out and making sure customers got in without having to wait.
Great place to start as a first job.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 10, 2014
Pros: great team, employee benefits.
Cons: no steady hours, shifts vary from opening shift to mid-day to closing.
The Banana Republic at Vaughan Mills has a great management team and co-workers. Everyone respects one another and teamwork is what helps strive the business success. Whether you are on the sales floor, fits or cashwrap, there are certain targets you have to try to meet which are reasonable. Everyone works as a team and as long as management sees you are doing your best, that's what they care about the most because they know the store won't meet its target every time. Great place to get experience in retail especially in customer service. The most enjoyable part of this job for me is able to interact with the co-workers and customers as that leads to a strong friendship formation.
Great interactive place to work and conenct with new people and employees everyday.
Sales Support (Current Employee), Market Mall Calgary,AlbertaJuly 23, 2014
Banana Republic is a great place to work and has great benefits in all aspects. Typical day at work will always be making the customer number one and helping them with anything they need, whether it would be helping locate an item to honest opinions in the fitting room. I learn something new everyday at work, how to deal with different cutomers, and solving problems that arise in the workplace. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with other employees that have a passion as I do for customer service and everyone making it a great environment to be in. This job is all about teamwork and strong communication and it does push us all everyday to do the best we can do for the guests and eachother.
Good team to work with on a daily basis
Stock Supervisor (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 16, 2015
Pros: good discounts & benefits
Cons: Manager
Different duties on a daily basis. Management is bias and picks favorites. Development in minimal from management team especially store manager and associate manager. Assistant managers are good leaders. Hardest part of the job is not being acknowledged for all the hard work you put in, manager seems to take the credit for the work of associates and assistant managers. Most enjoyable part is working with the team under me, they worked very hard for me. Enjoyed training, developing and being around them. Review is location based. Company has very nice discount policy and pretty good benefits.
good environment for interacting and meeting friends with lots of employees
Sales and support (Former Employee), Eaton centreMay 31, 2012
Learned about little secrets and and ways to be a better sales person and speak with people. What makes a business successful and what are the rules that need to be set to be able to manage a big store.
Got the chance to meet and make friend with alot of people becasue there were over 50 people employed. learned how to handle crowds and work with the team and look after everyone while being helpful and focused.
Big table at the back where everyone sat and talked and enjoyed theyre break time.
Got to be the first to see the merchandise and shop!
Fairly good job, constantly working
Sales Associate, General (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 16, 2013
Pros: 50 % discount at banana republic, and the gap.
Cons: standing for long hours at a time
Overall not too taxing, consistently working. Learned how to deal with customers of all attitudes, learned about up to date fashion, working efficiently. Management was average, not too friendly and not too strict. Co-workers were extremely easy going, great to work with. Hardest part of the job was during really busy times dealing with customers on the floor and in the fitting rooms at the same time, trying to keep everyone happy. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with good co workers
Productive, fast paced fashion environment
Sales support (Former Employee), Toronto OntarioSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: free treats in the staff room
A typical day working at Banana Republic consisted of great communication between employee and customer. I learned the importance of presentable table presence and good customer service. The management worked hard to create a comfortable environment for both employees and customers. The co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the day would be the end of the day, getting the store back in order for the next work day. The most enjoyable part of the day would be helping a customer find a purchase they love and feel comfortable in.
Banana Republic (Bay/ Bloor)
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2013
Pros: 50% discount on clothes
Overall it was good work experience. Co-workers were friendly and if you enjoy working with customers it was very positive. Very high paced. At least five hours straight of being on your feet and moving. It was nice learning what it takes to run a retail store efficiently. Great job for students.

Negatives (my experience of course)
Some managers seemed inexperienced. For instance, when I asked questions as a new employee, sometimes they were not sure and unorganized. Pay was minimum wage unless you were in upper management.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee), Montreal RocklandFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: 15 min breaks and sometimes free lunches or snacks
Cons: the management team won't give hours if they don't like you
Id say the most enjoyable part of my job is making the customer smile or when they remember you ( in a good way ) when they come back shopping again and ask how Iv been. And the co-workers are the second reason of why I enjoy working at Banana Republic. They are interesting and kind people that will make you forget about the negative moments you had during the day.
Fun workplace in the fashion industry
Sales support (Current Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCMarch 26, 2012
Pros: discounts for employees
Cons: no possibilities to be promoted and low salary
Each day we have a one minute meeting to inform the sales objectives and new regulations of the company. We have different tasks during the day (cashier, customer service) and sometimes we learn about the new styles and fabrics to provide a better advice to the customers. The work environment is pleasant and friendly and the management team is always attentive to give support.
Working with great people, managers and co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Surrey, BCAugust 20, 2015
Making sure the store is clean at all times. Doing mark downs, put up proper signage, and involve in customer service. Learning how the store is operated and how to improve customer service. Managers and co-workers are a joy to work with, they are very helpful and willing to share their experience. The hardest part of the job is the instability of hours given and the most enjoyable is working with great people and learning from them.
High expectations from management, great discounts, great people to work with
Sales Ambassador (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: the discount
Cons: hours were only given to particular individuals who were favorites of management
- Too many employees and little hours to go around, management very bias and give majority of their hours to a few of their favourites
- The people you work with are awesome and very friendly
- No training, you learn to do everything yourself and will get into trouble if you don't do it well the first time
Fashionable, fun and friendly!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 6, 2014
I think my favorite part about the atmosphere at Banana Republic was the professionalism. A typical day at work would include me working with customers and meeting their needs. Then, during breaks, I would often read up on product knowledge materials. Management was fair, they always gave me tasks they saw I was ready to handle. And my co-workers were a blast to work with! I met some hilarious and equally well-dressed persons.
Headquarters