Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

Busy workplace where there is never a dull moment
Career progression to Manager, Reporting & Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2013
Baker Hughes is a global company with approximately 53,000 employees world wide. They have learned a few things about retention and work hard to keep employees happy.

Baker Hughes is always working to improve resulting in change to systems, structures, and products all the time. It is a great place to get diversified experience and build your career.
Pros
change keeps you learning new skills
Cons
Long hours, red tape
A very difficult place to get to know people, the hiring process is also very long and tedious
Sr. Dept. Administrator, Commercial Support Group (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2013
Greet coworkers. Check emails. Arrange the work load schedule for the day and start taking care of business. Most co-workers are very pleasant and helpful. Most people are very new to the company. It is difficult to find the right person to answer questions when you need help.

It was nice to have the freedom to do the job without being micro managed. But each department is different.
Pros
flexible about lunch times, if you don't take lunch you can leave early, able to participate in most corporate events
Cons
work duplication, right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. communication and boundary problems.
Productive, relaxed place to work
Jr operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB13 August 2012
Loved working there and would go back in a heart beat, Wake up early and get to learn something new everyday. Maybe it was trouble shooting the tools and why they were not working or driving a new road or learning to back up trailers. Everyday was so diffrent but similar it was never boring and its one job I can say I loved to do and would always be willing to work.
Pros
6 days off every 15 working days
Cons
long hours and very last minute
Just when you thought it could not get worse it does.
Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB28 February 2014
For a company as big as BH to lay people off on the pressure pumping side and not offer any positions in other divisions of the company that need people shows a lack of forethought on the company. It is long past time for a changing of upper management a person should not be able to get a job with the competition the day after being laid off.
Pros
good benefits and salery
Cons
Old bad managers need to go.
great work environment and good managment
Drill Bit Salesman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2013
i was a drill bit sales man. i managed my accounts as efficiently as possible to ensure the lowest possible prices for my clientel. this job required severe organizational and preparation skills. i analyzed bit records to ensure the proper application for my customers.
Pros
great job security and an excellent environment
Cons
poorly compensated and bad balance with work and life.
Great job with great co workers
Equipment Operator (Cement) (Current Employee) –  Brighton, CO21 January 2013
On a typical day being on cement you will receive an hour yard call after your 10 hr reset. you have an hour to get to work on time. After clocking in, you do whatever is need to get to location on time. Pre trip trucks and make sure equipment is job ready. Next have a safety meeting than convoy trucks to location. After getting to location. Rig up, Pump job, Rig down, convoy home to yard.
good place to work lots of benefits
Oil Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 September 2015
I cannot give a good review as I don't work for this company any more as I was let go because of the price of oil but I liked the work and the guys I worked with were great
Pros
great pll to work with
Cons
called out on short notice
Very professional people i worked with
General Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB20 September 2015
Use to be great company. Things are changed now since inadequate management team start to rule.
It is sucks to be lay off after 10 years in the company
Pros
good balance - job/family
Cons
management
Summary
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgay Alberta3 June 2015
Processed the corporate payroll and provided assistance to the other payroll admins with their payroll. Assisted in testing from Avanti to SAP implementation.

Processed ROE's, Severance, Pay In Lieu payments.

Managed T4's, T2202's and WCB at year end.

Enjoyed working with the payroll of team of 8.
good place
Reliability Team lead for North Africa (Current Employee) –  Africa2 August 2015
place where you can join family and work, but things changed since the top management decision to make One baker hughes
I had good relation with my collegues and top management (well rated at every end of year performance review)
Overall a good place to work
MWD (Measurements While Drilling) (Current Employee) –  Canada11 November 2015
Baker Hughes is a good place if you're interested in the Directional Drilling end of the Oil Patch. As a consultant it's very volatile.
I plead the 5th
COILED TUBING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  4089-77 st Red Deer AB5 October 2015
They worry more about the paper work and guardian cards from us than the actual job that is taking place
Sales could not land jobs for coil while other companies were steadily working
An ok place to work. did field work
MWD Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2015
It was a good training experience. Good people to work with in the field. There were good training courses. My tenure there was very short but enjoyable.
One on one training sessions
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2015
Great place to work and learn new things everyday. Co-workers are always there to help. The most enjoyable part of the job is they assign you to one senior employee to sit with him on weekly basis for training purposes.
Pros
Good employees, free lunches, Health and safety meetings, taking care of each other
A well structured company
A Crew Cab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB12 August 2015
Baker Hughes did A very good job providing A positive safe work place. Baker Hughes paid A lot of effort and energy on employee development instituting an excellent on-line career development set of courses.
Good people to work with and a clean place to work.
Shop Hand- Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2015
Great place to work always steady and working on your own was expected.People there were willing to help in most situations.
learned lots in the chemical end of oil and gas
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2012
12 to 14 hours a day. learned a lot of what probloms there is in oil and gas production.

co-workers where great to work with. Management said what they had to say to get the job done.

For me the best part of my job was meeting lots of people through out Alberta that worked for baker in all corners ot the province
Loved seeing the province
Shop Lead / Senior Mechanical Assembler IV (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB19 March 2015
This was a great job that had me going from the south of the province to the north. Lots of away from home jobs and not so much time with family. It allowed me to see the province and meet lots of new people.
Pros
great environment to work
Cons
Lots of time away from home
Interesting work and god people to work with.
MECHANICAL DESIGNER/PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2013
There is no typical work day at Baker Hughes. It is fast paced and ever changing.
Management is fairly relaxed and very hands on, because they have a vested interest.
Co-workers are very knowledgable and interesting people. You can always count on them to help find a solution.
coil tubing operator,oil rig,heav equip operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 March 2015
Baker was a good place to work. I learned many new things and obtained many certificates and tickets. Unfortunately, I was laid off because the company was downsizing. I would like to work as a commuter because my family lives in Cape Breton, NS.