Baker Hughes Incorporated

Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

Loved seeing the province
Shop Lead / Senior Mechanical Assembler IV (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 19, 2015
This was a great job that had me going from the south of the province to the north. Lots of away from home jobs and not so much time with family. It allowed me to see the province and meet lots of new people.
Pros
great environment to work
Cons
lots of time away from home
One on one training sessions
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Great place to work and learn new things everyday. Co-workers are always there to help. The most enjoyable part of the job is they assign you to one senior employee to sit with him on weekly basis for training purposes.
Pros
good employees, free lunches, health and safety meetings, taking care of each other
Good workplace with great people
Field Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
A typical day at work for me is quite slow, I keep track of fuel and work in SAP on a regular basis but most other duties are monthly and don't require much upkeep throughout the rest of the month. I am looking for something where I can be busy throughout most of the day. There is not much room for advancement in my position and that is certainly something I am looking for. I work very well with my coworkers when the need arises and the hardest part of my job is finding things to keep me busy. The most enjoyable thing is certainly the people I work with.
Pros
great people
Cons
long commute and not enough work
coil tubing operator,oil rig,heav equip operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 1, 2015
Baker was a good place to work. I learned many new things and obtained many certificates and tickets. Unfortunately, I was laid off because the company was downsizing. I would like to work as a commuter because my family lives in Cape Breton, NS.
Professional office, highly intelligent team, comfortable work environment
Base Administrator, CTRE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2014
Typical day at work starts with checking and responding to emails and review from work done the day before. Management and co-workers keep me busy and include me in on their current projects. Hardest part of my job is "public speaking" in front of a large group. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team who appreciate my assistance in the office.
Great career
Directional Driller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2014
As DD a work day may start any time, you are on call; it is good and sad news in the same time. Good because you get paid on each day you spend on the rig site. Sad because you have to leave what you were doing.
I learnt a lot about drilling different well types and profiles, manage my stress and work under harsh situations.
Management is one of the worst I have seen; managers have to be that way, as they were not given a chance too.
Co-workers depend on who you work with. You might work with someone once your life, but most of them are good.
The hardest part of the job is working overnight many days, manage to sleep in noise.
Most enjoyable part is when you get congrats on what you have done.
Steady work and some great employees to work with.
Bulk Plant/Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, ABApril 21, 2014
I hauled cement or sand out to job sites in Saskatchewan, Alberta or Northern BC. I enjoyed getting behind the wheel of the trucks and driving with some physical activity of helping rig up the equipment at times. The worst part of the job was being away from the wife and home for weeks at a time but it also made you appreciate those things and not take them for granted. Would still be working there but they shut down the southern district for pressure pumping.
productive and physical workplace, good people
Pumper Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 19, 2014
we would show up on location, have a safety meeting,
then continue to rig in our equipment and trucks to the well head.
heavy lifting it swinging a sledge hammer for awhile.
good team work as there was lots of lifting with others. good drive and energy with in each other.
hardest part was the rigging in and out in bad weather or for long periods of time, big jobs was more rigging in.
inbetween jobs there was breaks sometimes, so good break times was nice. got to learn how to operate the trucks and a chem van.
Pros
decent pay cheques i suppose
Cons
hard work long hours, some times bad pay.
a safe place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 5, 2015
I drove the worker back and forth to the oil fields.
Learn safely,
great management
learn you just have to get along with all co worker, which I got along with everyone
Driving on off roads
picking up the crew and getting them home safety
Pros
camp job
Good honest work, but the work culture wasn't for me
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 28, 2013
A typical day at work is showing up at 8:00 am and reviewing what jobs needed to be done that day in terms of maintenance. I learned how to rebuild high pressure fracturing pumps and what hydraulic fracturing was all about. Management was fantastic however the coworkers were a little off, tended to be rude and uninterested in training new hires. Hardest part of the job was being away from home and putting in numerous 16 hour days for 15 days on. I loved the training and what the job potentially had to offer in terms of security and salary, as well as advancement.
Pros
learnt new skills, brushed up on some old ones
Cons
condescending work atmosphere
Piano ,poems,sports
Technical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  EgyptNovember 29, 2013
Working at oil and gas company gives you a great experience and learn you many skills such as how to identify the optimized solution and to take a right decision in short time .
Work team is a key factor to achieve the organization goals but unfortunately it is missing in Egyptian cultural .
Work-life balance is missing in Egypt .
I wish to find a good opportunity in Canada with good employer that can grant Visa for work.
Pros
global company
Cons
lack of professional
Just when you thought it could not get worse it does.
Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, ABFebruary 28, 2014
For a company as big as BH to lay people off on the pressure pumping side and not offer any positions in other divisions of the company that need people shows a lack of forethought on the company. It is long past time for a changing of upper management a person should not be able to get a job with the competition the day after being laid off.
Pros
good benefits and salery
Cons
old bad managers need to go.
It was a good company while it lasted
Bulk Truck Driver / Driver trainer and assessor (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SKApril 2, 2015
Started there as BJ services and was a Bulk truck driver it was a great job till they closed the second busiest base in the Estevan area poor management but great job
Profile
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada, VenezuelaFebruary 20, 2013
More than 5 years of experience in the Oil & Gas Industry, accomplishing field operations and working as Logging Engineer for one of the biggest service Oil & Gas Companies. Perform diverse services in the wireline industry (Open hole and Cased Hole), leadership, extensive business service experience, work under pressure and in hostile environments, priority setting and decision-making, together with excellent communication skills to liaise with clients, are some of the skills that I have developed.
A very difficult place to get to know people, the hiring process is also very long and tedious
Sr. Dept. Administrator, Commercial Support Group (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2013
Greet coworkers. Check emails. Arrange the work load schedule for the day and start taking care of business. Most co-workers are very pleasant and helpful. Most people are very new to the company. It is difficult to find the right person to answer questions when you need help.

It was nice to have the freedom to do the job without being micro managed. But each department is different.
Pros
flexible about lunch times, if you don't take lunch you can leave early, able to participate in most corporate events
Cons
work duplication, right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. communication and boundary problems.
Productive, relaxed place to work
Jr operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABAugust 13, 2012
Loved working there and would go back in a heart beat, Wake up early and get to learn something new everyday. Maybe it was trouble shooting the tools and why they were not working or driving a new road or learning to back up trailers. Everyday was so diffrent but similar it was never boring and its one job I can say I loved to do and would always be willing to work.
Pros
6 days off every 15 working days
Cons
long hours and very last minute
great work environment and good managment
Drill Bit Salesman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
i was a drill bit sales man. i managed my accounts as efficiently as possible to ensure the lowest possible prices for my clientel. this job required severe organizational and preparation skills. i analyzed bit records to ensure the proper application for my customers.
Pros
great job security and an excellent environment
Cons
poorly compensated and bad balance with work and life.
Great job with great co workers
Equipment Operator (Cement) (Current Employee) –  Brighton, COJanuary 21, 2013
On a typical day being on cement you will receive an hour yard call after your 10 hr reset. you have an hour to get to work on time. After clocking in, you do whatever is need to get to location on time. Pre trip trucks and make sure equipment is job ready. Next have a safety meeting than convoy trucks to location. After getting to location. Rig up, Pump job, Rig down, convoy home to yard.
Success completely depends on your boss, not how you do your job.
Project leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary albertaMarch 30, 2015
I worked for Nowsco-Fracmanster-BJ-Baker-Halibuton for several years. Survives seven layoffs, was laid off twice.

Find another company that does not do this.
learned lots in the chemical end of oil and gas
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2012
12 to 14 hours a day. learned a lot of what probloms there is in oil and gas production.

co-workers where great to work with. Management said what they had to say to get the job done.

For me the best part of my job was meeting lots of people through out Alberta that worked for baker in all corners ot the province

Baker Hughes Incorporated Reviews by Location