Baker Hughes Incorporated

Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

Great career
Directional Driller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2014
As DD a work day may start any time, you are on call; it is good and sad news in the same time. Good because you get paid on each day you spend on the rig site. Sad because you have to leave what you were doing.
I learnt a lot about drilling different well types and profiles, manage my stress and work under harsh situations.
Management is one of the worst I have seen; managers have to be that way, as they were not given a chance too.
Co-workers depend on who you work with. You might work with someone once your life, but most of them are good.
The hardest part of the job is working overnight many days, manage to sleep in noise.
Most enjoyable part is when you get congrats on what you have done.
productive and physical workplace, good people
Pumper Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 19, 2014
we would show up on location, have a safety meeting,
then continue to rig in our equipment and trucks to the well head.
heavy lifting it swinging a sledge hammer for awhile.
good team work as there was lots of lifting with others. good drive and energy with in each other.
hardest part was the rigging in and out in bad weather or for long periods of time, big jobs was more rigging in.
inbetween jobs there was breaks sometimes, so good break times was nice. got to learn how to operate the trucks and a chem van.
Pros
decent pay cheques i suppose
Cons
hard work long hours, some times bad pay.
A poor choice of work; your milage may vary.
office worker (Former Employee) –  calgaryJune 5, 2013
I left the company for several reasons:
- Lack of autonomy; no room for individual initiative.
- Excessively stressful and hostile working environment (partly because of my supervisor and partly due to company culture)
- Not getting along with my supervisor (at this company people are not promoted based on their ability to work well with others)
- Below-Market Remuneration (my pay was roughly 20% below market; others left the facility for the same reason--there was 25% turnover in roughly a one year period)
- Minimal training (I had done no training for 8-12 months, though not from lack of interest)
- Lack of job variety (an issue specific to my position, your milage may vary)
- The conservative, top-down, hierarchical, and dictatorial nature of the organization (This should be patently obvious to anyone currently working for the company. For instance, there are 200 presidents and vice presidents)
- My job duties did not match the job posting (12 items were listed, I only did 3 with any frequency. 90% of my time was spent doing something that wasn't listed)
Pros
[see review.]
Cons
[see review.]
It was a good company while it lasted
Bulk Truck Driver / Driver trainer and assessor (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SKApril 2, 2015
Started there as BJ services and was a Bulk truck driver it was a great job till they closed the second busiest base in the Estevan area poor management but great job
great company
M/LWD Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2013
Great job, great income. Unstable schudule makes for a difficult work-life balance while working in the field.
Pros
culture, excellent people to work with
Cons
no work schedule
a safe place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 5, 2015
I drove the worker back and forth to the oil fields.
Learn safely,
great management
learn you just have to get along with all co worker, which I got along with everyone
Driving on off roads
picking up the crew and getting them home safety
Pros
camp job
Professional office, highly intelligent team, comfortable work environment
Base Administrator, CTRE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2014
Typical day at work starts with checking and responding to emails and review from work done the day before. Management and co-workers keep me busy and include me in on their current projects. Hardest part of my job is "public speaking" in front of a large group. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team who appreciate my assistance in the office.
Valuable Work Experience and Independently Managed
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 9, 2013
As a process field specialist and account manager a typical work days require a large predisposition toward on-site client management, constant "after-sales" support, and process troubleshooting. This takes place at site-specific facilities in a common effort to produce adequate sales-grade oil in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.

Learning curve has been significant, largely due to the intimate nature of living and working at your customer's facility (Cenovus predominantly in my own case, with similar exposure elsewhere). Managing expectations, logistics of chemical supply, project-focus demands, process upsets, chemical field trials all form part of the learning curve.

Management has been a little trickier in my case largely due to an extensive 'on-site absenteeism'. Makes it difficult to progress within the company as, being a large organization, inherently relies on a bureaucratic hierarchy; sticking points can occur with ineffiective middle management. This has prove difficult to surpass internally.

Co-workers are great for the most part, generally an inherited commonality of purpose, however often working remotely can prove lonely, and co-workers are often also your client. Many wonderful friendships can develop in this scenario, which add to account stability.

Hardest part of the job is the amount of travel and remote setting. Makes developing personal routine and structure almost impossible. Long shifts whilst at work can be stressful and draining.

Most enjoyable part of the job is growing with your client; sharing in week-to-week process triumphs, building
  more... friendships, and working together toward generating satisfying results to day-to-day problems which come hand-in-hand with oil and water separation and subsequent purification.  less
Pros
high salary, good benefits, global company, initially steep learning curve
Cons
long hours, rotational travel, remote setting, unrelenting customer demands, stressful, ~1 year plateau to significant learning
Piano ,poems,sports
Technical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  EgyptNovember 29, 2013
Working at oil and gas company gives you a great experience and learn you many skills such as how to identify the optimized solution and to take a right decision in short time .
Work team is a key factor to achieve the organization goals but unfortunately it is missing in Egyptian cultural .
Work-life balance is missing in Egypt .
I wish to find a good opportunity in Canada with good employer that can grant Visa for work.
Pros
global company
Cons
lack of professional
Excellent Company to work for.
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 13, 2015
Entered sales, returns, stock transfers and adjustments from tickets forwarded from remote warehouses daily.

Inventory counts for various warehouse locations.

Prepared all customs documentation for outgoing international shipments to the United States and ensured all documentation was sent to appropriate parties for Customs clearance.
Pros
Freedom to work independently
Cons
Winter driving on QEII
Productive, relaxed place to work
Jr operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABAugust 13, 2012
Loved working there and would go back in a heart beat, Wake up early and get to learn something new everyday. Maybe it was trouble shooting the tools and why they were not working or driving a new road or learning to back up trailers. Everyday was so diffrent but similar it was never boring and its one job I can say I loved to do and would always be willing to work.
Pros
6 days off every 15 working days
Cons
long hours and very last minute
great work environment and good managment
Drill Bit Salesman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
i was a drill bit sales man. i managed my accounts as efficiently as possible to ensure the lowest possible prices for my clientel. this job required severe organizational and preparation skills. i analyzed bit records to ensure the proper application for my customers.
Pros
great job security and an excellent environment
Cons
poorly compensated and bad balance with work and life.
Efficient work place with independent coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
I worked as an administrative assistant for 10 months. I mainly helped a lady who worked for guys working at the location. We kept records the depth, the tools they used, and hours they worked. We also kept the vehicle records they used for work. After few month, I was asked to put the records to their system, so I was responsible for that. The hardest part was to put the record of the tools, but I got to know some tools after few months. I feel people have their own work, so everyone worked individually.
To hard of physical labor for a woman
Tool Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABDecember 1, 2014
Overlifting and the use of a 20' snipe was a daily activity for work in the open hole end of the shop. Shoulders and back eventually gave out and had to quit.
Pros
long hours on call
Cons
team work
learned lots in the chemical end of oil and gas
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2012
12 to 14 hours a day. learned a lot of what probloms there is in oil and gas production.

co-workers where great to work with. Management said what they had to say to get the job done.

For me the best part of my job was meeting lots of people through out Alberta that worked for baker in all corners ot the province
An overated company saturated with unqualified personel who are more interested in their resume than their performance.
Feild Specialist 2 - INT (Former Employee) –  Red Deer , Alberta , CanadaFebruary 9, 2015
Strange for an Oil and Gas Specialty company who have roughly 90% of their employees hired with out any Oil and Gas experience.
No wonder why they are failing in Canada.
Not a surprise that they were in the " RED " financially.
To the point where Haliburton purchased them.
I'm glad I left.
Success completely depends on your boss, not how you do your job.
Project leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary albertaMarch 30, 2015
I worked for Nowsco-Fracmanster-BJ-Baker-Halibuton for several years. Survives seven layoffs, was laid off twice.

Find another company that does not do this.
Interesting work and god people to work with.
MECHANICAL DESIGNER/PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2013
There is no typical work day at Baker Hughes. It is fast paced and ever changing.
Management is fairly relaxed and very hands on, because they have a vested interest.
Co-workers are very knowledgable and interesting people. You can always count on them to help find a solution.
Good place to work,
Bulk Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  clairmontDecember 7, 2012
Baker Hughes was a good place to work, however management and supervisors only came around if you screwed something up. Little to no direction/orders given by supervisor(s).
Pros
free lunches from third party companies, 6 days off
Cons
only getting noticed when you mess up, and not when you do a stand up job.
A very difficult place to get to know people, the hiring process is also very long and tedious
Sr. Dept. Administrator, Commercial Support Group (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2013
Greet coworkers. Check emails. Arrange the work load schedule for the day and start taking care of business. Most co-workers are very pleasant and helpful. Most people are very new to the company. It is difficult to find the right person to answer questions when you need help.

It was nice to have the freedom to do the job without being micro managed. But each department is different.
Pros
flexible about lunch times, if you don't take lunch you can leave early, able to participate in most corporate events
Cons
work duplication, right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. communication and boundary problems.

Baker Hughes Incorporated Reviews by Location