Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

The Baker Hughes Family
Continuous Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canada15 August 2015
Baker is a very closely knit organization with diversified skills and fantastic technology. This is the main reason Halliburton wants to buy them. There is room for advancement and if you are a hard worker you will be noticed and commended for it. Great organization as of right now, although no one can predict the future of the organization after the merge with the big red giant.
Work day with Baker Hughes
Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2015
Keeping track on outgoing sales orders and processing data with SAP.

Team environment, great potential of learning new abilities and new software's.

Management is always there to give you direction in your work ethics, positive workplace and learned varieties of skills with SAP and variety of processes.

Everyone is there to answer your questions if you stumble upon conflicts on materials.

I've learned different ways of correcting materials and balancing out orders; also great learning curve on communicating with purchasing on the corrections with PO's.
Pros
Training
Cons
No cons
Great career
Directional Driller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2014
As DD a work day may start any time, you are on call; it is good and sad news in the same time. Good because you get paid on each day you spend on the rig site. Sad because you have to leave what you were doing.
I learnt a lot about drilling different well types and profiles, manage my stress and work under harsh situations.
Management is one of the worst I have seen; managers have to be that way, as they were not given a chance too.
Co-workers depend on who you work with. You might work with someone once your life, but most of them are good.
The hardest part of the job is working overnight many days, manage to sleep in noise.
Most enjoyable part is when you get congrats on what you have done.
Good workplace with great people
Field Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2014
A typical day at work for me is quite slow, I keep track of fuel and work in SAP on a regular basis but most other duties are monthly and don't require much upkeep throughout the rest of the month. I am looking for something where I can be busy throughout most of the day. There is not much room for advancement in my position and that is certainly something I am looking for. I work very well with my coworkers when the need arises and the hardest part of my job is finding things to keep me busy. The most enjoyable thing is certainly the people I work with.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long commute and not enough work
Excellent company
Special Projects / Drilling and Drill Bit Analysis (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2015
I received great training at Baker Hughes. Baker Hughes is a first class company...excellent benefits and salary, and very fair.
Pros
Great training and great team
Cons
A poor choice of work; your milage may vary.
office worker (Former Employee) –  calgary5 June 2013
I left the company for several reasons:
- Lack of autonomy; no room for individual initiative.
- Excessively stressful and hostile working environment (partly because of my supervisor and partly due to company culture)
- Not getting along with my supervisor (at this company people are not promoted based on their ability to work well with others)
- Below-Market Remuneration (my pay was roughly 20% below market; others left the facility for the same reason--there was 25% turnover in roughly a one year period)
- Minimal training (I had done no training for 8-12 months, though not from lack of interest)
- Lack of job variety (an issue specific to my position, your milage may vary)
- The conservative, top-down, hierarchical, and dictatorial nature of the organization (This should be patently obvious to anyone currently working for the company. For instance, there are 200 presidents and vice presidents)
- My job duties did not match the job posting (12 items were listed, I only did 3 with any frequency. 90% of my time was spent doing something that wasn't listed)
Pros
[See review.]
Cons
[See review.]
productive and physical workplace, good people
Pumper Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 April 2014
we would show up on location, have a safety meeting,
then continue to rig in our equipment and trucks to the well head.
heavy lifting it swinging a sledge hammer for awhile.
good team work as there was lots of lifting with others. good drive and energy with in each other.
hardest part was the rigging in and out in bad weather or for long periods of time, big jobs was more rigging in.
inbetween jobs there was breaks sometimes, so good break times was nice. got to learn how to operate the trucks and a chem van.
Pros
decent pay cheques i suppose
Cons
hard work long hours, some times bad pay.
great company
M/LWD Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2013
Great job, great income. Unstable schudule makes for a difficult work-life balance while working in the field.
Pros
culture, excellent people to work with
Cons
no work schedule
BHI
Field Enginer Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 October 2015
Job security always low, Pay is high with bonuses but may not be better than operator company. Field work 15 days on 6 off this varies by product line. 12 hour days on leases plus commute to and from hotel so expect a 14-16 hour day.
Incompetent Management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2015
This company is rife with incompetent management, those that turn a blind eye to what's going on in their division, and show favouritism to people of their own race or faith. No such thing as diversity in Drilling Systems, as it's become a Muslim brotherhood.
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 March 2016
Good people
Good work
Long days
Always on the road
different job every day
Always able to learn new skills
Always in a hotel
learn to find good places to eat
Good place to work.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 March 2016
I enjoyed my time while employed with this company. Expectations were clearly laid out, and people were given the chance to succeed.
Interesting job with a lot of day to day chalanges
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2015
Resolving daily issues with operation and production of new equipment.
Learning how to provide necessary support to fast changing needs.
Cooperating with management to plan work ahead.
Great, very dedicated team.
Time management with every day different challenges.
Hearing about successful results of inspection projects.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Often stresfull days
Valuable Work Experience and Independently Managed
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 April 2013
As a process field specialist and account manager a typical work days require a large predisposition toward on-site client management, constant "after-sales" support, and process troubleshooting. This takes place at site-specific facilities in a common effort to produce adequate sales-grade oil in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.

Learning curve has been significant, largely due to the intimate nature of living and working at your customer's facility (Cenovus predominantly in my own case, with similar exposure elsewhere). Managing expectations, logistics of chemical supply, project-focus demands, process upsets, chemical field trials all form part of the learning curve.

Management has been a little trickier in my case largely due to an extensive 'on-site absenteeism'. Makes it difficult to progress within the company as, being a large organization, inherently relies on a bureaucratic hierarchy; sticking points can occur with ineffiective middle management. This has prove difficult to surpass internally.

Co-workers are great for the most part, generally an inherited commonality of purpose, however often working remotely can prove lonely, and co-workers are often also your client. Many wonderful friendships can develop in this scenario, which add to account stability.

Hardest part of the job is the amount of travel and remote setting. Makes developing personal routine and structure almost impossible. Long shifts whilst at work can be stressful and draining.

Most enjoyable part of the job is growing with your client; sharing in week-to-week process triumphs, building
  more... friendships, and working together toward generating satisfying results to day-to-day problems which come hand-in-hand with oil and water separation and subsequent purification.  less
Pros
high salary, good benefits, global company, initially steep learning curve
Cons
long hours, rotational travel, remote setting, unrelenting customer demands, stressful, ~1 year plateau to significant learning
very good place to work as far as benefits being top notch
Field Operator II (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB14 February 2015
i very much injoyed my time with baker hughes
made lots of fiends
but also had too work with people that i dident much care for
management is very much by the book and do there job very well
the hardest part of the job is being away from home
and being on call 14 day on 5 off
very nice trucks and you are mostly assgned your truck all the time with is nice because there are some people that like there stuff looking like a pig pin lol
Make sure you have the proper piece of paper.
Master Welder I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton & Leduc, AB27 August 2015
After many years if being trained in all aspects of my division and possessing experience unmatched by anyone in my division, advancement was quickly overlooked. Experience is trumped over who you suck up to.
Pros
Safety is top concern
Cons
Advancement is non existent.
Piano ,poems,sports
Technical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Egypt29 November 2013
Working at oil and gas company gives you a great experience and learn you many skills such as how to identify the optimized solution and to take a right decision in short time .
Work team is a key factor to achieve the organization goals but unfortunately it is missing in Egyptian cultural .
Work-life balance is missing in Egypt .
I wish to find a good opportunity in Canada with good employer that can grant Visa for work.
Pros
Global company
Cons
lack of professional
Professional office, highly intelligent team, comfortable work environment
Base Administrator, CTRE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2014
Typical day at work starts with checking and responding to emails and review from work done the day before. Management and co-workers keep me busy and include me in on their current projects. Hardest part of my job is "public speaking" in front of a large group. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team who appreciate my assistance in the office.
Very professional people i worked with
General Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB20 September 2015
Use to be great company. Things are changed now since inadequate management team start to rule.
It is sucks to be lay off after 10 years in the company
Pros
good balance - job/family
Cons
management
Productive team enviroment, offering great work life balance
Canadian Distribution Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2015
Great place to work, lots of fun new opportunities. Every day is a different day!! Lots of continuous improvement opportunities, and lots of room to grow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baker Hughes Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

79%