Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 November 2015
Much of the management were too concentrated on their own job security to perfom their jobs properly. Some blamed it on managerial pressures but it was evident that they were not suited for the job positions they held. Much incompetence.
Corporate management was much more reliable and easy to deal with.
Pros
Good equipment and personell
Cons
Managers
Overall a good place to work
MWD (Measurements While Drilling) (Current Employee) –  Canada11 November 2015
Baker Hughes is a good place if you're interested in the Directional Drilling end of the Oil Patch. As a consultant it's very volatile.
An ok place to work. did field work
MWD Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2015
It was a good training experience. Good people to work with in the field. There were good training courses. My tenure there was very short but enjoyable.
Bhi
Field Enginer Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 October 2015
Job security always low, Pay is high with bonuses but may not be better than operator company. Field work 15 days on 6 off this varies by product line. 12 hour days on leases plus commute to and from hotel so expect a 14-16 hour day.
Good Overall Company - Regional Management Issues
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2015
With impending acquisition of Halliburton, too many quality senior managers have been packaged out. Sever lack of experience in current Canadian management group. Employees no longer matter and current management does not know how to motivate employees, especially in tough market conditions. Hopefully, Halliburton can save this sinking ship.
Incompetent Management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2015
This company is rife with incompetent management, those that turn a blind eye to what's going on in their division, and show favouritism to people of their own race or faith. No such thing as diversity in Drilling Systems, as it's become a Muslim brotherhood.
Good job. Great work relationships
Cement Supervisor LVL3 (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB20 October 2015
Was reasonable for running a crew. Completing assigned jobs in a timely manner safely. Problem solving on the fly as job was going on. Co-workers were helper and fun to work with. Was on call so was called to work whenever job was required so long days.
Pros
Money was good and great people to work with.
Cons
A lot of time away from family.
high pace work environment
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2015
Working hours is Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 4.30pm. It is a great experience working in a high pace work environment. We were working ad team to make sure all the task are completed on timely manner. The most enjoyable part is getting 4 flex days a year. the flex day starts in April of one day off of each month.
Good people to work with and a clean place to work.
Shop Hand- Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2015
Great place to work always steady and working on your own was expected.People there were willing to help in most situations.
Good guys to work and learn from
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 October 2015
The whole time with this company was always learning new things. Was able to get my Class 1 license, numerous other needed training classes to complete my work safely.
Pros
Various work locations
Cons
Lots of paperwork
I plead the 5th
COILED TUBING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  4089-77 st Red Deer AB5 October 2015
They worry more about the paper work and guardian cards from us than the actual job that is taking place
Sales could not land jobs for coil while other companies were steadily working
baker hughes
Supervisor for last (Former Employee) –  medicine hat29 September 2015
I leaned lots at baker hughes. there was a lot of good employees. there was to many different managers running , sometime things just didn't work.
Safety and Training #1
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta Canada28 September 2015
Great team environment and opportunities to grow and advance in many different services, unfortunate for the down turn in the industry.
Good job, bad time in O & G
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB22 September 2015
when times are food and oil is up its a good place to work, when oil is down start looking for a new job. I would work for Baker in the future.
Very professional people i worked with
General Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB20 September 2015
Use to be great company. Things are changed now since inadequate management team start to rule.
It is sucks to be lay off after 10 years in the company
Pros
good balance - job/family
Cons
management
Fun place to work
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 September 2015
Many great memories whilst employed with this company. Good cultural experience and a leader in their area of expertise. Time well spent!
good place to work lots of benefits
Oil Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 September 2015
I cannot give a good review as I don't work for this company any more as I was let go because of the price of oil but I liked the work and the guys I worked with were great
Pros
great pll to work with
Cons
called out on short notice
Very productive workplace. Co-workers were very friendly and ready to help at a moments notice. Positive environment
Account Manager/ Upstream Chemicals (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SK2 September 2015
Typical day of work of work consisted of contacting customers to ensure chemical field operations were running smoothly. If there were any concerns out in the field it was my job to travel to site and deliver chemicals to lease sites, as well as meet with customers to resolve issues and come up with a plan to eliminate any problems. Co-workers and management were always a phone call away to discuss issues at hand and walk me through any procedures. Very positive atmosphere in the office, always a colleague stopping by my desk ensure I had a handle on things.
Pros
Baker Hughes online learning tools
Cons
Several hours of driving per day
Make sure you have the proper piece of paper.
Master Welder I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton & Leduc, AB27 August 2015
After many years if being trained in all aspects of my division and possessing experience unmatched by anyone in my division, advancement was quickly overlooked. Experience is trumped over who you suck up to.
Pros
Safety is top concern
Cons
Advancement is non existent.
Just a job, NOT a career
Shop (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2015
This is the proverbial old boys club. Management is so focused on appeasing the overlords in Houston, they have lost touch with their customers and workers. Any thoughts about progressing in the company should be dismissed. They promote their friends and neglect those who show potential and talent. I personally saw someone (friend of manager and team lead) quit, only to be hired back - promoted.

Work is challenging at first but becomes predicable and monotonous. You are hired to do a job and that's what you do until you get laid off or quit. The co workers are good but most are unhappy and searching for a way out, unfortunately, BH pays well so that keeps most people in their meaningless roles. I like to think management sucks all ambition out of their workers. Team leaders are abusive or unattached.

The job culture is to fend for yourself. Their is NO teamwork culture here (although management likes to think so). The management style is old school - like back in the 50's. Management do not want to hear your concerns, so you tell your team lead - who filters it (or ignores it), so any real concerns NEVER get addressed. Just shut up, do your job and maybe you wont get laid off! Their is no leadership, just time managers working here.

The most enjoyable part of my job is going home at the end of the day.

I work in Pipeline Inspection, Calgary.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Inept Management and leaders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baker Hughes Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval