Baker Hughes Incorporated

Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

Safety and Training #1
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta CanadaSeptember 28, 2015
Great team environment and opportunities to grow and advance in many different services, unfortunate for the down turn in the industry.
Good job, bad time in O & G
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 22, 2015
when times are food and oil is up its a good place to work, when oil is down start looking for a new job. I would work for Baker in the future.
Fun place to work
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABSeptember 17, 2015
Many great memories whilst employed with this company. Good cultural experience and a leader in their area of expertise. Time well spent!
good place to work lots of benefits
Oil Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABSeptember 3, 2015
I cannot give a good review as I don't work for this company any more as I was let go because of the price of oil but I liked the work and the guys I worked with were great
Pros
great pll to work with
Cons
called out on short notice
Very productive workplace. Co-workers were very friendly and ready to help at a moments notice. Positive environment
Account Manager/ Upstream Chemicals (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SKSeptember 2, 2015
Typical day of work of work consisted of contacting customers to ensure chemical field operations were running smoothly. If there were any concerns out in the field it was my job to travel to site and deliver chemicals to lease sites, as well as meet with customers to resolve issues and come up with a plan to eliminate any problems. Co-workers and management were always a phone call away to discuss issues at hand and walk me through any procedures. Very positive atmosphere in the office, always a colleague stopping by my desk ensure I had a handle on things.
Pros
Baker Hughes online learning tools
Cons
Several hours of driving per day
Make sure you have the proper piece of paper.
Master Welder I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton & Leduc, ABAugust 27, 2015
After many years if being trained in all aspects of my division and possessing experience unmatched by anyone in my division, advancement was quickly overlooked. Experience is trumped over who you suck up to.
Pros
Safety is top concern
Cons
Advancement is non existent.
Just a job, NOT a career
Shop (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2015
This is the proverbial old boys club. Management is so focused on appeasing the overlords in Houston, they have lost touch with their customers and workers. Any thoughts about progressing in the company should be dismissed. They promote their friends and neglect those who show potential and talent. I personally saw someone (friend of manager and team lead) quit, only to be hired back - promoted.

Work is challenging at first but becomes predicable and monotonous. You are hired to do a job and that's what you do until you get laid off or quit. The co workers are good but most are unhappy and searching for a way out, unfortunately, BH pays well so that keeps most people in their meaningless roles. I like to think management sucks all ambition out of their workers. Team leaders are abusive or unattached.

The job culture is to fend for yourself. Their is NO teamwork culture here (although management likes to think so). The management style is old school - like back in the 50's. Management do not want to hear your concerns, so you tell your team lead - who filters it (or ignores it), so any real concerns NEVER get addressed. Just shut up, do your job and maybe you wont get laid off! Their is no leadership, just time managers working here.

The most enjoyable part of my job is going home at the end of the day.

I work in Pipeline Inspection, Calgary.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Inept Management and leaders.
The Baker Hughes Family
Continuous Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  CanadaAugust 15, 2015
Baker is a very closely knit organization with diversified skills and fantastic technology. This is the main reason Halliburton wants to buy them. There is room for advancement and if you are a hard worker you will be noticed and commended for it. Great organization as of right now, although no one can predict the future of the organization after the merge with the big red giant.
A well structured company
A Crew Cab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 12, 2015
Baker Hughes did A very good job providing A positive safe work place. Baker Hughes paid A lot of effort and energy on employee development instituting an excellent on-line career development set of courses.
good place
Reliability Team lead for North Africa (Current Employee) –  AfricaAugust 2, 2015
place where you can join family and work, but things changed since the top management decision to make One baker hughes
I had good relation with my collegues and top management (well rated at every end of year performance review)
Great technology - confusing strategy at times
Senior Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
I loved working there. Spent two intervals with BHI. One in Canada in the '90's and again in China 2010-12. Good people, great training, excellent HSE culture.
Pros
Applied technology, R&D, inventiveness
Cons
Difficult strategies for growth - related to drilling fluids/waste management services
Nice place to learn the industry
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, ABMay 28, 2015
Company is great to get trained for oil patch work.
Everything is provided..PPE, Tickets..great benefits
Equipment is looked after..
Room for improvement if you ask
Pros
All expenses paid by the company
Cons
low bonuses, Ego's
Solid Company
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, ABApril 19, 2015
I enjoyed working there. work was 12-14 hrs (included drive time). Learned a lot of equipment and Management was there when needed. Got along with 95% of the other co-workers, hardest part was rigging in 3" Iron in mud up to my knees. Some of the best times were the drives to different places, and during the summer and the Coil broke down, could relax and read a book or clean equipment at a nice pace. A shame that it is no more.
Pros
Good benefits good friends plenty of work.
Cons
Outdated Equipment, bonuses were the lowest paid.
Excellent Company to work for.
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 13, 2015
Entered sales, returns, stock transfers and adjustments from tickets forwarded from remote warehouses daily.

Inventory counts for various warehouse locations.

Prepared all customs documentation for outgoing international shipments to the United States and ensured all documentation was sent to appropriate parties for Customs clearance.
Pros
Freedom to work independently
Cons
Winter driving on QEII
It was a good company while it lasted
Bulk Truck Driver / Driver trainer and assessor (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SKApril 2, 2015
Started there as BJ services and was a Bulk truck driver it was a great job till they closed the second busiest base in the Estevan area poor management but great job
Interesting job with a lot of day to day chalanges
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Resolving daily issues with operation and production of new equipment.
Learning how to provide necessary support to fast changing needs.
Cooperating with management to plan work ahead.
Great, very dedicated team.
Time management with every day different challenges.
Hearing about successful results of inspection projects.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Often stresfull days
Success completely depends on your boss, not how you do your job.
Project leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary albertaMarch 30, 2015
I worked for Nowsco-Fracmanster-BJ-Baker-Halibuton for several years. Survives seven layoffs, was laid off twice.

Find another company that does not do this.
Work day with Baker Hughes
Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Keeping track on outgoing sales orders and processing data with SAP.

Team environment, great potential of learning new abilities and new software's.

Management is always there to give you direction in your work ethics, positive workplace and learned varieties of skills with SAP and variety of processes.

Everyone is there to answer your questions if you stumble upon conflicts on materials.

I've learned different ways of correcting materials and balancing out orders; also great learning curve on communicating with purchasing on the corrections with PO's.
Pros
Training
Cons
No cons
Productive and enjoyable place to work
FINAL ASSEMBLY LEAD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Leduc albertaMarch 27, 2015
I loved going to work every morning and the working atmosphere was excellent. I loved doing my job and working hands on with their tools
Loved seeing the province
Shop Lead / Senior Mechanical Assembler IV (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 19, 2015
This was a great job that had me going from the south of the province to the north. Lots of away from home jobs and not so much time with family. It allowed me to see the province and meet lots of new people.
Pros
great environment to work
Cons
lots of time away from home

Baker Hughes Incorporated Reviews by Location