Baker Hughes Incorporated

Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

It's alright
Mechanical Technician & Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB9 May 2016
Lots of work when it's busy, sweep the floors when it's quiet.Angry bully type management. Finger pointing for mistakes. weak training practices. Strong safety culture unless a job "had" to be done.
Great Job
Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 August 2016
I enjoyed working at Baker Hughes. A typical day would consist of waking up early driving to location and running equipment on the well site. Everyone was great to work with.
Pros
Good People, Good Money
It's alright
Coring Tool Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB9 May 2016
Clean, well lit and ventilated shop space. Quality equipment to work with. Good training and strong safety culture. not much advancement unless employees pushed.
Day To Day activities. No technology advancements.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2017
This company was in the process of a merger and was cutting back all resources including contractors. As a result all the existing resources were depleted and work began increasing difficult to make time lines.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Lack of resources to manage the day to day activities.
Developed company
General Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2016
Any work schedule
Low management level is result of low price and contracts quantity
Development is impossible due to lack of education
Management could to provide with field work winter projects only
Hardest part of the job is relationship among co-workers
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Low management level, low sales level
Not for everyone
Field Specialist - Measurement While Drilling (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2016
No job schedule makes personal life hard to manage. Overall the work is pretty good and most people you work with are enjoyable. If there was a set schedule it might not be such a bad job. Lots of travel and being away from home
Inefficient Behemoth
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB25 April 2016
Too many managers with nothing to do interfering with productivity. A corporate culture that focuses on pleasing middle management over pleasing clients. Not a good business model.
typical day
Account Manager / Field Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB16 February 2017
lots of work depending on where you are. different areas are busier than others due to changes in oil and the time of year. not a lot of chance to advance within.
General Operator (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB26 June 2016
Great company to work for. Good people working there. Opportunities to travel and work overseas. Well managed with management that listens to workers.
Pros
Travel and transfer opportunities
Cons
Time away from home.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville2 December 2016
People to work with are really good, training is very well executed. Excellent mentoring from senior co workers. Very happy with my time at baker hughes.
Your career is what you make of it
Currently employed and Happy (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB4 January 2016
I have been employed with Baker Hughes for almost 6 years. When I was hired I had absolutely no industry experience but I soon realized the potential I had to make a difference. I was given my opportunity as a shift lead that soon progressed to a titled position as a supervisor. Not ever being in a leadership position I struggled at first but my manager, and my mentor reduced my responsibility and realigned me to help me succeed.
After a few years I was recruited internally and in my current role I have had the opportunity to show my worth with upper management in Houston and I made a name for myself.
Without hesitation, I can say that the guidance provided to me early on in my career helped me gain the confidence to make it to where I am today.
Don't get me wrong, part of my success was timing as well but if you put in the effort and are willing to take constructive criticism, if you are able to separate "business" from friendship you will succeed.
The industry is has changed so much in my tenure with Baker Hughes and the company as a whole has increased their Safety culture hand-over-fist. They care about the employees, their health - both physical and emotional - and it is showing by the performance increases made over the past 2 years.
I can't imagine working for another company. As large as this is there is still the "family" atmosphere within the company. I have made many friendships here that I feel will last for many years to come.
Pros
Freedom, employees, compensation, benefits, safety culture, management
Cons
potentially long hours, having to commute, potential aquisition by Halliburton
great place to work
Business Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB11 May 2016
I found this to be an excellent place to work during my employment. Great company, excellent benefits program and employee stock options
Excelent company with professional growing
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Venezuela13 June 2016
We were able to grow up year by year professionally and economically. People used to have more benefits than they were expecting. I we had a great training program.
Productive and fun work environment.
Chemical Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Carnduff, SK1 September 2016
I learned a lot about working within a team environment, setting team and individual goals throughout the month and achieving those goals.
Great employee benefits all around a good company to work for.
Supervisor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 August 2016
I have no complaints with Baker Hughes. I simply want to work closer to home. Working on the road makes time spent with co-workers extensive but luckily all my co workers are easy going and we all work well together.
Good honest work, but the work culture wasn't for me
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 December 2013
A typical day at work is showing up at 8:00 am and reviewing what jobs needed to be done that day in terms of maintenance. I learned how to rebuild high pressure fracturing pumps and what hydraulic fracturing was all about. Management was fantastic however the coworkers were a little off, tended to be rude and uninterested in training new hires. Hardest part of the job was being away from home and putting in numerous 16 hour days for 15 days on. I loved the training and what the job potentially had to offer in terms of security and salary, as well as advancement.
Pros
Learnt new skills, brushed up on some old ones
Cons
Condescending work atmosphere
Good Place to Work
Quality Control Specialist & Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB4 January 2016
Good company that treats it's workers very well (even when the market is low). Coming from a 20 year military background, the hardest part of any job is trying to cope with how slow, entitled and undisciplined some workers can be. Also, Baker Hughes Incorporated conducts way too many meetings. Many meetings could be emails but that method of thinking comes from the top down. The most enjoyable parts of my day were being able to assist the technicians on the floor with trouble shooting problems, giving recommendations for repairs/reworks, saving the company millions of dollars annually and providing a good reliable product/service.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Employment is dependant on oil market prices
productive
Heavy Duty Technician (Journeyman) (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 April 2016
Busy work place ,management was good to deal with , learned from workers , long days , but you were just a number , thought we could have done more actual transport and trailer stuff in house rather than sending it out .
Okay place to work
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 November 2015
Much of the management were too concentrated on their own job security to perfom their jobs properly. Some blamed it on managerial pressures but it was evident that they were not suited for the job positions they held. Much incompetence.
Corporate management was much more reliable and easy to deal with.
Pros
Good equipment and personell
Cons
Managers
Good benefits and management
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2016
busy work day during winters.
hardest part of the job is time management.
most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with clients
co-workers are not many left but during busier times, its a good and friendly environment to work for.