Baker Hughes Incorporated

Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

Good place to work even with its policies and management constantly changing
Lead hand Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 31, 2016
I enjoyed the job and the people I worked with and I would go back if I was looking for a job when they hire again.
Management would always back you on any safety related issue no matter the cost.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive pay lots of field work when oil is high
Cons
The saftey culture has become so extreme that paperwork takes longer then the repair, being an oilfield company layoffs are always happening.
Be prepared to give up your life for a dead end job!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 11, 2016
Working with the guys at Baker Hughes is the best part of the job.The work it self is easy but the management makes life harder then it has to be by constantly lying to you or just flat out ignoring saftey issuses .They dont give raises and theres no where to advance to once your in thats your spot and your wage for the time your there.Also they love to set you up to fail ,by sending you out with unsafe equipment,that they say is good but no one actully has signed off on.
Cons
Expect to live in your truck from monday to friday.
Great Co-Workers, Environment & Pay, sometimes sloppy Management
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 17, 2016
I enjoyed my 8 years at Baker-Hughes Artificial Lift, however after moving into a supervisor position I found they did a poor job of teaching me new skills. I wanted to learn more but they did not allow much cross training. However they did recognize hard work with financial benefits and I enjoyed most people I worked with. Lots of overtime available.
Pros
Overtime when needed
Cons
Sloppy management
Developed company
General Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2016
Any work schedule
Low management level is result of low price and contracts quantity
Development is impossible due to lack of education
Management could to provide with field work winter projects only
Hardest part of the job is relationship among co-workers
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Low management level, low sales level
Your career is what you make of it
Currently employed and Happy (Current Employee) –  Leduc, ABJanuary 4, 2016
I have been employed with Baker Hughes for almost 6 years. When I was hired I had absolutely no industry experience but I soon realized the potential I had to make a difference. I was given my opportunity as a shift lead that soon progressed to a titled position as a supervisor. Not ever being in a leadership position I struggled at first but my manager, and my mentor reduced my responsibility and realigned me to help me succeed.
After a few years I was recruited internally and in my current role I have had the opportunity to show my worth with upper management in Houston and I made a name for myself.
Without hesitation, I can say that the guidance provided to me early on in my career helped me gain the confidence to make it to where I am today.
Don't get me wrong, part of my success was timing as well but if you put in the effort and are willing to take constructive criticism, if you are able to separate "business" from friendship you will succeed.
The industry is has changed so much in my tenure with Baker Hughes and the company as a whole has increased their Safety culture hand-over-fist. They care about the employees, their health - both physical and emotional - and it is showing by the performance increases made over the past 2 years.
I can't imagine working for another company. As large as this is there is still the "family" atmosphere within the company. I have made many friendships here that I feel will last for many years to come.
Pros
Freedom, employees, compensation, benefits, safety culture, management
Cons
potentially long hours, having to commute, potential aquisition by Halliburton
Opportunity for career growth and recreation
Pipeline Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 8, 2016
It is a place to belong and to become. Gives room for professional growth. The senior employees are always ready to give you a hand when needed. It was nice working in Baker Hughes.

The job was about analyzing pipeline data to detect magnetic anomaly
I learnt a new software used to analyse detected magnetic anomaly to determine the depth of corrosion
The management are welcoming and helpful to the employee's improvement
The hardest part would be when a particular section of the pipeline is severely corroded
The most enjoyable part was when the pipeline under analysis is not too corroded
Pros
Free breakfast every Friday
Cons
Requires long sitting
Good Place to Work
Quality Control Specialist & Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Good company that treats it's workers very well (even when the market is low). Coming from a 20 year military background, the hardest part of any job is trying to cope with how slow, entitled and undisciplined some workers can be. Also, Baker Hughes Incorporated conducts way too many meetings. Many meetings could be emails but that method of thinking comes from the top down. The most enjoyable parts of my day were being able to assist the technicians on the floor with trouble shooting problems, giving recommendations for repairs/reworks, saving the company millions of dollars annually and providing a good reliable product/service.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Employment is dependant on oil market prices
Engineering Department for Research & Development
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto/CalgaryMay 9, 2016
We are a great team of Mechanical and Electrical Engineers and technicians working in the Product Research and Development for the Pipeline Inspection Tools. The atmosphere at work is great, peaceful cooperation, we have the same goal, to create competitive Inline Inspection Tools. Also our Management is great. They do not have a critical position toward our activity but rather an attitude of help and support. Of course, if we need to respect a tight deadline, we understand to work overtime. But it is a rewarding effort.
Pros
everything
Good benefits and management
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
busy work day during winters.
hardest part of the job is time management.
most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with clients
co-workers are not many left but during busier times, its a good and friendly environment to work for.
Challenging but fun work place
Electro-Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 29, 2016
Tool box meeting is set every morning. Supervisors discusses which drilling tools are needed for the day and set schedule. Also, everybody discusses any issues about safety. I learned how to manage my time due to time restraints. Some customers needs the tools urgently . When I first started training I was so green that I did not know anything about drilling tools. With some help of the senior technicians, I slowly learn so much about the industry.

Work atmosphere was good. Most of the technicians are easy to get along with. Hardest part of the job is the constraints. Some times you need to stay late to finish the tool because the rig is waiting for the tools. When its busy, you can get called in in the middle of the night or on the weekends. That being said supervisors makes sure that you are fit to work and you are well rested.

The most warding part of the job is when tools come back from the rig and the tool that you assembled worked properly.
Okay place to work
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 13, 2015
Much of the management were too concentrated on their own job security to perfom their jobs properly. Some blamed it on managerial pressures but it was evident that they were not suited for the job positions they held. Much incompetence.
Corporate management was much more reliable and easy to deal with.
Pros
Good equipment and personell
Cons
Managers
Great Work place, poor advancement opportunities
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Great life balance and benefits, poor advancement opportunities. Even though the life-work balance is good, it was almost expected that you work longer to finish projects on time.
I had a great 34 years
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 12, 2016
A great group of people. we were like family. our work was organizing and loading chemicals for use in the field each day. we worked with very little warehouse space. That made the hardest part of this along with the winter months when we used reefers to store our chemicals in.
Pros
Baker had a great bunch of people. Benefits were great.
Cons
downsizing was the hardest as people got laid off
Great employee benefits all around a good company to work for.
Supervisor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 18, 2016
I have no complaints with Baker Hughes. I simply want to work closer to home. Working on the road makes time spent with co-workers extensive but luckily all my co workers are easy going and we all work well together.
overall good place to work
Senior Coordinator / Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 9, 2016
The company cares for their employees by giving them access to numerous training courses to help them develop of his/her career path. They have very competitive wages and incredible benefit packages.
Awesome company to work with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABSeptember 2, 2016
Awesome company to work with. Great benefits, nice working hours. Employees and Managers are very helpful. I had an awesome and learning experience with Baker Hughes Canada Company.
Benefits
Office Politics
Pipeline Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2016
the general day to day operations with co-workers was generally enjoyable. the only issue was management higher up. A lot of office politics, which led to the closure of the division.
Pros
shifted hours
Cons
office politics
Great job to gain experience and travel
Field Specialist III - Completions & Fishing (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 9, 2016
21 days on, 7 days off work schedule
international work
team and individual environment
leaned a lot about safety and its importance
built a strong work ethic
Pros
job scope varied
Cons
Great place to work. Lots of leadership, experience and room to advance
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 11, 2016
Great place to attain a career in the oilfield. Lots of opportunities. Good money and room to advance. Several career paths available.
Pros
Good money, lots of work
Cons
Current activity level
Great Job
Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 23, 2016
I enjoyed working at Baker Hughes. A typical day would consist of waking up early driving to location and running equipment on the well site. Everyone was great to work with.
Pros
Good People, Good Money

Baker Hughes Incorporated Reviews by Location