Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
easy to get job, great money, some awful coworkers
Field Operator III - Pressure Pumping (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJune 19, 2014
Pros: experience, free ppe, class 1 training, tickets
Cons: coworkers
The upside: When I first started working at Baker, I only had a class 5 drivers licence, I was flat broke, and wasn't expecting much. After the first month, they put me through training and paid for my class 1 licence, dozens of safety tickets, and all of my ppe. By the third month, I was making good money and after getting laid off, Baker gave me a huge amount of money for a severance package. I learned A LOT working for Baker. How to work safely, work on the trucks, even how to act in the field - It was my first oilfield job. Lots of heavy lifting. Managed to lose 10 pounds working for them and my arms got huge. The management at Baker was great. Really good guys (and girls) working in the office. Very well mannered, professional, and fair. A lot of the older guys I worked with had a great sense of humor

The downside: There is a kind of "boys club" going on at Baker Hughes in Red Deer and if you're not "one of the boys", you get picked on. Some of the guys working there are just awful people and there's nothing you can really do about it because they've been there longer. Lots of gossip in the company, if you say something or do something off key, everyone knows about it across north america within a week (for real). Field supervisors can also be really nasty - if you make them mad, they work you like a dog until they settle down and they always try and rush you during rig-ins and rig-outs. It's very difficult to move up quickly in the company because there are so many guys working there, all after the more senior roles. Baker also had 3 massive layoffs in the 11 months that – more... I was working there.

There were a lot of good times at Baker but there were also a lot of bad times in terms of some of the guys I had to work with in the field. All in all, I will never work for a large fracing company again. If you're looking for first time oil field experience, a class 1 licence, lots of safety tickets, and fat pay checks, Baker is a great company to start with but don't under estimate smaller oil field companies. – less
Valuable Work Experience and Independently Managed
Account Manager (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 9, 2013
Pros: high salary, good benefits, global company, initially steep learning curve
Cons: long hours, rotational travel, remote setting, unrelenting customer demands, stressful, ~1 year plateau to significant learning
As a process field specialist and account manager a typical work days require a large predisposition toward on-site client management, constant "after-sales" support, and process troubleshooting. This takes place at site-specific facilities in a common effort to produce adequate sales-grade oil in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.

Learning curve has been significant, largely due to the intimate nature of living and working at your customer's facility (Cenovus predominantly in my own case, with similar exposure elsewhere). Managing expectations, logistics of chemical supply, project-focus demands, process upsets, chemical field trials all form part of the learning curve.

Management has been a little trickier in my case largely due to an extensive 'on-site absenteeism'. Makes it difficult to progress within the company as, being a large organization, inherently relies on a bureaucratic hierarchy; sticking points can occur with ineffiective middle management. This has prove difficult to surpass internally.

Co-workers are great for the most part, generally an inherited commonality of purpose, however often working remotely can prove lonely, and co-workers are often also your client. Many wonderful friendships can develop in this scenario, which add to account stability.

Hardest part of the job is the amount of travel and remote setting. Makes developing personal routine and structure almost impossible. Long shifts whilst at work can be stressful and draining.

Most enjoyable part of the job is growing with your client; sharing in week-to-week process triumphs, building – more... friendships, and working together toward generating satisfying results to day-to-day problems which come hand-in-hand with oil and water separation and subsequent purification. – less
Your career is what you make of it
Currently employed and Happy (Current Employee), Leduc, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Freedom, employees, compensation, benefits, safety culture, management
Cons: potentially long hours, having to commute, potential aquisition by Halliburton
I have been employed with Baker Hughes for almost 6 years. When I was hired I had absolutely no industry experience but I soon realized the potential I had to make a difference. I was given my opportunity as a shift lead that soon progressed to a titled position as a supervisor. Not ever being in a leadership position I struggled at first but my manager, and my mentor reduced my responsibility and realigned me to help me succeed.
After a few years I was recruited internally and in my current role I have had the opportunity to show my worth with upper management in Houston and I made a name for myself.
Without hesitation, I can say that the guidance provided to me early on in my career helped me gain the confidence to make it to where I am today.
Don't get me wrong, part of my success was timing as well but if you put in the effort and are willing to take constructive criticism, if you are able to separate "business" from friendship you will succeed.
The industry is has changed so much in my tenure with Baker Hughes and the company as a whole has increased their Safety culture hand-over-fist. They care about the employees, their health - both physical and emotional - and it is showing by the performance increases made over the past 2 years.
I can't imagine working for another company. As large as this is there is still the "family" atmosphere within the company. I have made many friendships here that I feel will last for many years to come.
Just a job, NOT a career
Shop (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Inept Management and leaders.
This is the proverbial old boys club. Management is so focused on appeasing the overlords in Houston, they have lost touch with their customers and workers. Any thoughts about progressing in the company should be dismissed. They promote their friends and neglect those who show potential and talent. I personally saw someone (friend of manager and team lead) quit, only to be hired back - promoted.

Work is challenging at first but becomes predicable and monotonous. You are hired to do a job and that's what you do until you get laid off or quit. The co workers are good but most are unhappy and searching for a way out, unfortunately, BH pays well so that keeps most people in their meaningless roles. I like to think management sucks all ambition out of their workers. Team leaders are abusive or unattached.

The job culture is to fend for yourself. Their is NO teamwork culture here (although management likes to think so). The management style is old school - like back in the 50's. Management do not want to hear your concerns, so you tell your team lead - who filters it (or ignores it), so any real concerns NEVER get addressed. Just shut up, do your job and maybe you wont get laid off! Their is no leadership, just time managers working here.

The most enjoyable part of my job is going home at the end of the day.

I work in Pipeline Inspection, Calgary.
Very safety orientated company
Office Manager (Former Employee), Leduc AlbertaAugust 28, 2014
Pros: safety culture promoted and enforced in the company
Cons: lack of communication from upper management
Everyday was a learning experience for me at Baker Hughes. Managing a team of 7 throughout Alberta and Ontario had it's challenges. The logistics did not allow me to have a hands on experience with each of them. I built the team up so they became self sufficient yet knew I was only an email or phone call away to address any problems, concerns and provide training and assistance when needed. I held a weekly conference call with all of them to just "talk". I felt this was a good way for us to learn together and offer suggestions and support, not just by me, but by all of us. Having the administrative team report to me allowed us to unify the way we preformed the daily duties requested of administrators. Any one of us were able to cover sick days and vacation time at the other bases without any disruption to the business. My co-managers coached me on becoming a strong team leader. I had a lot of respect for them. I was able to take what they taught me and apply it to my team gaining the respect and support from them just as I had for the management that taught me. My experience at Baker Hughes was invaluable and grew me in to a confident team leader and player.
A poor choice of work; your milage may vary.
office worker (Former Employee), calgaryJune 5, 2013
Pros: [see review.]
Cons: [see review.]
I left the company for several reasons:
- Lack of autonomy; no room for individual initiative.
- Excessively stressful and hostile working environment (partly because of my supervisor and partly due to company culture)
- Not getting along with my supervisor (at this company people are not promoted based on their ability to work well with others)
- Below-Market Remuneration (my pay was roughly 20% below market; others left the facility for the same reason--there was 25% turnover in roughly a one year period)
- Minimal training (I had done no training for 8-12 months, though not from lack of interest)
- Lack of job variety (an issue specific to my position, your milage may vary)
- The conservative, top-down, hierarchical, and dictatorial nature of the organization (This should be patently obvious to anyone currently working for the company. For instance, there are 200 presidents and vice presidents)
- My job duties did not match the job posting (12 items were listed, I only did 3 with any frequency. 90% of my time was spent doing something that wasn't listed)
Very productive workplace. Co-workers were very friendly and ready to help at a moments notice. Positive environment
Account Manager/ Upstream Chemicals (Former Employee), Estevan, SKSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Baker Hughes online learning tools
Cons: Several hours of driving per day
Typical day of work of work consisted of contacting customers to ensure chemical field operations were running smoothly. If there were any concerns out in the field it was my job to travel to site and deliver chemicals to lease sites, as well as meet with customers to resolve issues and come up with a plan to eliminate any problems. Co-workers and management were always a phone call away to discuss issues at hand and walk me through any procedures. Very positive atmosphere in the office, always a colleague stopping by my desk ensure I had a handle on things.
Good Place to Work
Quality Control Specialist & Technician (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Good Work Life Balance
Cons: Employment is dependant on oil market prices
Good company that treats it's workers very well (even when the market is low). Coming from a 20 year military background, the hardest part of any job is trying to cope with how slow, entitled and undisciplined some workers can be. Also, Baker Hughes Incorporated conducts way too many meetings. Many meetings could be emails but that method of thinking comes from the top down. The most enjoyable parts of my day were being able to assist the technicians on the floor with trouble shooting problems, giving recommendations for repairs/reworks, saving the company millions of dollars annually and providing a good reliable product/service.
A very difficult place to get to know people, the hiring process is also very long and tedious
Sr. Dept. Administrator, Commercial Support Group (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: flexible about lunch times, if you don't take lunch you can leave early, able to participate in most corporate events
Cons: work duplication, right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. communication and boundary problems.
Greet coworkers. Check emails. Arrange the work load schedule for the day and start taking care of business. Most co-workers are very pleasant and helpful. Most people are very new to the company. It is difficult to find the right person to answer questions when you need help.

It was nice to have the freedom to do the job without being micro managed. But each department is different.
Great career
Directional Driller (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2014
As DD a work day may start any time, you are on call; it is good and sad news in the same time. Good because you get paid on each day you spend on the rig site. Sad because you have to leave what you were doing.
I learnt a lot about drilling different well types and profiles, manage my stress and work under harsh situations.
Management is one of the worst I have seen; managers have to be that way, as they were not given a chance too.
Co-workers depend on who you work with. You might work with someone once your life, but most of them are good.
The hardest part of the job is working overnight many days, manage to sleep in noise.
Most enjoyable part is when you get congrats on what you have done.
Good workplace with great people
Field Operations Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long commute and not enough work
A typical day at work for me is quite slow, I keep track of fuel and work in SAP on a regular basis but most other duties are monthly and don't require much upkeep throughout the rest of the month. I am looking for something where I can be busy throughout most of the day. There is not much room for advancement in my position and that is certainly something I am looking for. I work very well with my coworkers when the need arises and the hardest part of my job is finding things to keep me busy. The most enjoyable thing is certainly the people I work with.
Work day with Baker Hughes
Department Administrator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Training
Cons: No cons
Keeping track on outgoing sales orders and processing data with SAP.

Team environment, great potential of learning new abilities and new software's.

Management is always there to give you direction in your work ethics, positive workplace and learned varieties of skills with SAP and variety of processes.

Everyone is there to answer your questions if you stumble upon conflicts on materials.

I've learned different ways of correcting materials and balancing out orders; also great learning curve on communicating with purchasing on the corrections with PO's.
productive and physical workplace, good people
Pumper Operator (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 19, 2014
Pros: decent pay cheques i suppose
Cons: hard work long hours, some times bad pay.
we would show up on location, have a safety meeting,
then continue to rig in our equipment and trucks to the well head.
heavy lifting it swinging a sledge hammer for awhile.
good team work as there was lots of lifting with others. good drive and energy with in each other.
hardest part was the rigging in and out in bad weather or for long periods of time, big jobs was more rigging in.
inbetween jobs there was breaks sometimes, so good break times was nice. got to learn how to operate the trucks and a chem van.
Efficient work place with independent coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
I worked as an administrative assistant for 10 months. I mainly helped a lady who worked for guys working at the location. We kept records the depth, the tools they used, and hours they worked. We also kept the vehicle records they used for work. After few month, I was asked to put the records to their system, so I was responsible for that. The hardest part was to put the record of the tools, but I got to know some tools after few months. I feel people have their own work, so everyone worked individually.
Steady work and some great employees to work with.
Bulk Plant/Transport Operator (Former Employee), Redcliff, ABApril 21, 2014
I hauled cement or sand out to job sites in Saskatchewan, Alberta or Northern BC. I enjoyed getting behind the wheel of the trucks and driving with some physical activity of helping rig up the equipment at times. The worst part of the job was being away from the wife and home for weeks at a time but it also made you appreciate those things and not take them for granted. Would still be working there but they shut down the southern district for pressure pumping.
Solid Company
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Redcliff, ABApril 19, 2015
Pros: Good benefits good friends plenty of work.
Cons: Outdated Equipment, bonuses were the lowest paid.
I enjoyed working there. work was 12-14 hrs (included drive time). Learned a lot of equipment and Management was there when needed. Got along with 95% of the other co-workers, hardest part was rigging in 3" Iron in mud up to my knees. Some of the best times were the drives to different places, and during the summer and the Coil broke down, could relax and read a book or clean equipment at a nice pace. A shame that it is no more.
Profile
Field Engineer (Former Employee), Canada, VenezuelaFebruary 20, 2013
More than 5 years of experience in the Oil & Gas Industry, accomplishing field operations and working as Logging Engineer for one of the biggest service Oil & Gas Companies. Perform diverse services in the wireline industry (Open hole and Cased Hole), leadership, extensive business service experience, work under pressure and in hostile environments, priority setting and decision-making, together with excellent communication skills to liaise with clients, are some of the skills that I have developed.
Piano ,poems,sports
Technical Team Leader (Former Employee), EgyptNovember 29, 2013
Pros: global company
Cons: lack of professional
Working at oil and gas company gives you a great experience and learn you many skills such as how to identify the optimized solution and to take a right decision in short time .
Work team is a key factor to achieve the organization goals but unfortunately it is missing in Egyptian cultural .
Work-life balance is missing in Egypt .
I wish to find a good opportunity in Canada with good employer that can grant Visa for work.
Professional office, highly intelligent team, comfortable work environment
Base Administrator, CTRE (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2014
Typical day at work starts with checking and responding to emails and review from work done the day before. Management and co-workers keep me busy and include me in on their current projects. Hardest part of my job is "public speaking" in front of a large group. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with such a great team who appreciate my assistance in the office.
Productive, relaxed place to work
Jr operator (Former Employee), Bonnyville, ABAugust 13, 2012
Pros: 6 days off every 15 working days
Cons: long hours and very last minute
Loved working there and would go back in a heart beat, Wake up early and get to learn something new everyday. Maybe it was trouble shooting the tools and why they were not working or driving a new road or learning to back up trailers. Everyday was so diffrent but similar it was never boring and its one job I can say I loved to do and would always be willing to work.