Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

productive workplace but to many departments are in the warehouse
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJApril 23, 2016
My typical day at work is busy. I not only do my job but I also help my coworkers if they need it. Like this week I am covering for my coworker because she is training people from outside of work to do our cycle counting. Her job position is very busy plus I am trying to do my job as well.

I think that it is good that people should be cross trained to do other peoples job.

There are alot of good things with my company and not good things. But at least I know that I am cross trained in other departments and that I can help out.
Pros
two breaks and a lunch
Cons
not enough room in the warehouse
Terrible Place to Work
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCAugust 15, 2015
The work culture here is horrible. You receive very little support from other departments. There are minimal processes in place for everyday tasks. These is unfathomable because this is not a new company. No room for advancement.
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasFebruary 29, 2016
Properly train employees instead of one day in the field and then you are on your own. There is not enough time for weekly visits or resets. Sometimes they do take longer and you shouldn't have to ask for extra time. The hours for part time employees is anywhere from 5-10 hours a week and pay is okay. Pay your employees based on experience instead of pocket change.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Time limit on projects, mgmt.
Hard Labor with a lot of holiday Parties
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 30, 2015
Everything's organized and things are done systematically
Very multicultural environment with everyone respecting one another
Fun holiday party time with everyone
Management knows clearly what their doing and is dedicated to their jobs
Pros
Ocasional Free Food
Cons
Hard Labor, Not for the weak people
Inventory was challenging at times but rewarding experience
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJMarch 8, 2016
Was busy and got to learn Inventory Department. Worked well with everyone. Cycle Counting was interesting. QC was a good learning experience for future jobs.
Pros
Enjoyed my position. Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks. Time off
Great job
National Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 18, 2016
Received a lot of experience with this job. Management was friendly and the co-workers were great. They took us out once a month on the company after work to get to know us on a personal level. That was great
Pros
Cons
I relocated
It a lot of walk but i enjoy the job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILFebruary 23, 2016
I believe I lost a lot of weight working this job which I love its a great exercise I read a lot of what I pick off the shelves the job was great in I love it I believe that's where a lot of young teens should start off at great experience.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Job
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJApril 16, 2016
Worked as Inventory Control Clerk. Did cycle counting and other duties pertaining in the dept. Liked working on my own with supervision and well with multi-tasking.
Pros
Job, co-workers
nice fun place to work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work consists of talking to your coworker while u sort out books also its alot to learn from this place as a young adult, but in all a nice place to work.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Enjopyed the people I worked with.
Customized library Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILDecember 2, 2015
At the time it was a decent place to work for. The company always kept me busy and I really enjoyed that. Not very much room to grow and develope with in the company.
Okay place to work
field merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Too many projects beyond regular service. Hard to keep up with the amount of time given for the required work to be completed.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
too much work for allotted hours a week
The paycheck was the only good thing about this job.
order picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILApril 8, 2013
You don't work with someone breathing down your neck, but you are tracked by computer the entire time you are there, and constantly questioned about your down time (dead batteries, computer problems, etc.). The management is completely clueless as to what it takes to do the job, and what circumstances affect performance, nor do they care. They only care how it looks on paper. The criticism is constant and the praise is virtually non existent. You have to be either be related to one of the bosses or buddies with them to have any chance for advancement. Performance and seniority mean nothing. Easily ranks as one of the worst run companies I have ever dealt with. Companies that are constantly hiring (like this one) are just proving how difficult they are to work for.
Pros
they pay you to be there.
Cons
everything else
Safe place to work but terrible compensation
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 24, 2014
Early start time for most employees, but didn't seem to be a problem as we also got to leave early.
A good amount of overtime when it was trade season but also a lot of early outs during the off season.
Management was great towards me but I have heard complaints from other departments for things like bad hours, micromanagement or just complaining about nothing.
Most of employees are women which tends to get crazy at times, it's very much like high school drama.

The best part of my job is that I knew how to do it and the entire department appreciated me for it. If something was being done wrong I knew right away and fixed it.
Pros
cafeteria, book sales, team leads and managers are supportive
Cons
pay is not competitive at all
Great Company, flexible, friendly environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2015
Multiple deadlines with a wide variety of duties. Friendly work environment. Learned all aspects of Accounts Receivable
It's a good stepping stone
Not Willing to Disclose (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GASeptember 2, 2015
Baker & Taylor is a good place to work, as long as you get a long with your team, like most places, of course.

I currently work here. I enjoy the people I work with, but not the upper management. They are afraid of conflict and are all talk, no action.

A typical day at work is hectic and stressful. As more and more responsibilities are "sorted out," to other departments they are then replaced with more areas we do not need to handle. In the beginning we were trusted. Now, with new upper management in place, we are micromanaged. The expectations are now outrageous and drone-like. If you so much step out of your area you get stared at, like you don't belong. Excuse me, while I try and go the toilet.

I learned how to successfully make lasting professional and personal relationships at this place, as we all work closely together. I will miss them when I move on to bigger and better things.

My co-workers. I adore most - others are not my favorite, but this happens everywhere. Where I work I like everyone.

The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the amount of that comes in. We cannot finish everything in time, ever. Upper management seems to think we do "Just fine," despite that they have no clue what goes on down here, while they sit behind their desks and argue about more important things than the mental and physical well being of their worker bees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the friends I've made. We are all very close knit, and when one of us is not there their absence is felt.

Overall, it's a good place. Provided
  more... you don't care about how they run things behind the curtain...also there is asbestos in the warehouse. Good job there, guys.  less
Pros
Good co workers, company outings
Cons
Everything Else
Horrible
Order Picker/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Momence, ILAugust 19, 2013
Have worked both part time and full time for the company. 100% prefer part time. As a full time employee you receive benefits which are good and the pay is also good if you are willing to work hard to meet incentive. The supervisors work well with their employee's in most situations. Not concerned with your life outside of the job, to them your job should be your top priority. If you enjoy working unexpected overtime you would enjoy this job. You also must enjoy being on your feet for most of the day for most jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job is breaks and clocking out at the end of the day.
Pros
good pay and benefits, stay in shape
Cons
not family oriented. unexpected overtime.
i learn play Tinnes
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 26, 2015
I learn on online fixing even machine if thye getting wrong to simple operate how.to stop or push back to operate. and email on the bad label by accounts after they have answer on email need to fixed on it so i learn fix online label.and work as a team make Faster all the order.
Pros
joint my co worker on Cafeteria if break.
Cons
learn how to deal all my co worker ether bad or good
Managemnt is Only Concerned With Themselves
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  ContoocookAugust 14, 2013
Management at my place was poor. There was no leadership. They were constantly looking over their shoulder with a CYA attitude. They did not offer the ability to think outside the box or accept offers to do work that "wasn't your role."

Management doesn't seem to be held responsible by B&T for failures. Blame is allowed to be passed on.

There is no room for growth, no reward for going beyond. Only failure is recognized.

I would not recommend this company to anyone in a professional role.
Pros
book sales
Cons
poor benefits; poor management
Open fun and friendly environment
Kit Matcher (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GAAugust 20, 2013
Open friendly work environment, with great benefits and incentives. I have learned to be more sociable and outgoing while working here, the coworkers are very accepting and genuinely care about me and my other coworkers. The hardest part of the job is memorizing the counties. The best thing I like about Baker & Taylor is the three breaks I get daily and how laid back it is.
Pros
3 breaks, laid back, friendly workers, great management.
Cons
certain people are not so people oriented and are out for the worst, and they are not hesitant to fire you over small things.
Terrible
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, IlApril 29, 2013
They tell you your pay is based on how fast you move. What they don't tell you, is from the first week you're there they do everything they can to slow you down and prevent you from your next raise. Your hours are never guarunteed. Some days you leave by lunch, after lunch...some days you leave an hour early...and others you stay an extra hour. Not too bad right? Wrong! They don't even tell you what you'll be working that day until an hour before your said to leave. You will work 9 hours, so the next shift can get sent home early. You will do this for 2 weeks, then youll be back to 8 hour days for a week, then your gettin sent home 4 hours early and the next day your back to 9. Management is clueless to almost everything.. Co-workers are favored and each get treated differently in a range from good and bad. Most of the time its more of a competition then actual work. But overall, at the end of the month your percentage is based on you, and everyone else arou d you...given there are people who'd rather stand around talking to anything with ears, its rather irritating to fi d you've not made your incentive that month because of it. This company has no idea how to run anything. The digital world is taking over, and needs to get to this place a little faster.

If you want to feel as if you are back in high school, with your every move tracked and questioned, working your a** off for them to just slow you down or come up with some bogus reason as to why you didn't make your percentage that month, and feeling unwelcome and unappreciated in your workplace...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!
Pros
end of the day.
Cons
entire company.