Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

Run away
Worthless (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 8, 2016
If you are into busting butt (they tell pickers to go home early, then make them work Saturday)
Only pays $10:00 to bust your butt all day.,walking more than 10 miles a day.
Don't apply
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILJuly 11, 2016
Thought this was going to be a laid back job boy o boy was I WRONG. The pay is a joke. You bust your behind for a little of nothing pay. The hours are so inconsistent. You get sent home from as low as two hour after you clock in and even told not to bother coming in the next day.People are treated accordingly to how much of a teachers pet they are. You will notice the "clicks "fast. They ( trainers, leads, supervisors) will set you up!! Pay attention!! To run you out. This place is a revolving door. There is no use of making this a long term job unless you been there for years. The favorites always get the good workloads to make incentive if your not good luck keeping up. Breaks are short clocks are set different times to rip you off some minutes. Place is dirty and dusty. All equipment is from the early 1700's.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Clocking out
Horrible
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILJune 29, 2016
Stay away from this place. You get treated bad if you aren't a favorite. Only get paid 10 dollars for a job that you should get paid more for. They say you get an incentive but you have to go over 105 percent which is hard to do if you're in a bad pick area and hard in good ones. If you aren't fast enough people will hit you with their carts or stomp their feet behind you. The benefits are good you get those after your 90 days along with your pto but you can't use them if you want to call off you have to fill out a paper and wait to see if you're approved or not. If you want to transfer to a different department your pay will go down to 9 dollars. There are some trainers who don't care to even train you and won't tell you everything so once you are on your own you have no idea how to do most things and you have to be careful who you ask because most people won't help you and if they do they will tell you the wrong thing so you get in trouble. You're with your trainer for only 3 days then you're on your own and they check on you and do an audit once a week. Only get 2 ten minute breaks which are nothing because it takes most of your break time to walk to a break room. Management sucks. This place is ran backwards. This place desperately needs and upgrade in technology. One part is air conditioned and the older section is not so you're sweating all the time. There barely is any work to do so you get sent home early in the morning of after lunch. This place will fire you for no reason really at all that's why they are always hiring. This place is against you from the first day  more... you start.If you are away from your cart for more than 5 minutes there is a chance you will get written up or a supervisor will come and take it and then yell at you for using the bathroom or whatever. This place makes it so hard to stay your 90 days because you'd want to quit after your first two weeks. I thought this job wouldn't be bad because I worked at other warehouses that's were much bigger and more physical but I was wrong. I would stay away from this place. If you wanted to be treated like youre nothing and get paid little to nothing then this place is for you.  less
Pros
Clocking out at the end of day
Cons
Everything, management, pay, short breaks, low hours, no work, favoritism
new ownership
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 18, 2016
i'm hoping the new company that bought baker and taylor. will have their own pair of eye's in the warehouses. maybe have the holiday's and vacation time improved. not PTO. some of the comments i have read, like high school drama are spot on. management and their buddy system, also spot on. being told after working 7 hrs. 59 minutes that you are staying 10 hrs. unbelievable. making incentive, if you are indirect you can only make an dollar extra an hr. so the people i work with all get that dollar. even tho a few of us are doing all the work. management see's this and does nothing about it. i am hoping the new owners will shake thing's up. it's time for a wake up call.
okay
Kit matcher (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAMay 31, 2016
Did not like working for a company that did not take care of the people who help run the business and keep it going. You have to take care of you're workers
Pros
great hours
Cons
company
Not a bad place to work, but change happened rappidly
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJApril 30, 2016
It was interesting because this company and the last one I worked for both did the same type of work. The difference was that Baker & Taylor distributed other companies products, where My last company distributed their own. So they were able to offer a better work lifestyle, longer breaks, higher wages, bonuses, more time off. However, Baker & Taylor had more overtime and job security. But since the company grew so fast by always distributing for more and more companies it had a very impersonal feel about it. The work was pretty easy to do, and I miss some of the people I worked with.
Pros
overtime, job security
Cons
shorter breaks, less perks
productive workplace but to many departments are in the warehouse
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJApril 23, 2016
My typical day at work is busy. I not only do my job but I also help my coworkers if they need it. Like this week I am covering for my coworker because she is training people from outside of work to do our cycle counting. Her job position is very busy plus I am trying to do my job as well.

I think that it is good that people should be cross trained to do other peoples job.

There are alot of good things with my company and not good things. But at least I know that I am cross trained in other departments and that I can help out.
Pros
two breaks and a lunch
Cons
not enough room in the warehouse
Great job
National Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 18, 2016
Received a lot of experience with this job. Management was friendly and the co-workers were great. They took us out once a month on the company after work to get to know us on a personal level. That was great
Pros
Cons
I relocated
Job
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJApril 16, 2016
Worked as Inventory Control Clerk. Did cycle counting and other duties pertaining in the dept. Liked working on my own with supervision and well with multi-tasking.
Pros
Job, co-workers
Cons
Inventory was challenging at times but rewarding experience
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJMarch 8, 2016
Was busy and got to learn Inventory Department. Worked well with everyone. Cycle Counting was interesting. QC was a good learning experience for future jobs.
Pros
Enjoyed my position. Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks. Time off
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasFebruary 29, 2016
Properly train employees instead of one day in the field and then you are on your own. There is not enough time for weekly visits or resets. Sometimes they do take longer and you shouldn't have to ask for extra time. The hours for part time employees is anywhere from 5-10 hours a week and pay is okay. Pay your employees based on experience instead of pocket change.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Time limit on projects, mgmt.
It a lot of walk but i enjoy the job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILFebruary 23, 2016
I believe I lost a lot of weight working this job which I love its a great exercise I read a lot of what I pick off the shelves the job was great in I love it I believe that's where a lot of young teens should start off at great experience.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
nice fun place to work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work consists of talking to your coworker while u sort out books also its alot to learn from this place as a young adult, but in all a nice place to work.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Okay place to work
field merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Too many projects beyond regular service. Hard to keep up with the amount of time given for the required work to be completed.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
too much work for allotted hours a week
Enjopyed the people I worked with.
Customized library Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Momence, ILDecember 2, 2015
At the time it was a decent place to work for. The company always kept me busy and I really enjoyed that. Not very much room to grow and develope with in the company.
Great Company, flexible, friendly environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2015
Multiple deadlines with a wide variety of duties. Friendly work environment. Learned all aspects of Accounts Receivable
Hard Labor with a lot of holiday Parties
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 30, 2015
Everything's organized and things are done systematically
Very multicultural environment with everyone respecting one another
Fun holiday party time with everyone
Management knows clearly what their doing and is dedicated to their jobs
Pros
Ocasional Free Food
Cons
Hard Labor, Not for the weak people
It's a good stepping stone
Not Willing to Disclose (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GASeptember 2, 2015
Baker & Taylor is a good place to work, as long as you get a long with your team, like most places, of course.

I currently work here. I enjoy the people I work with, but not the upper management. They are afraid of conflict and are all talk, no action.

A typical day at work is hectic and stressful. As more and more responsibilities are "sorted out," to other departments they are then replaced with more areas we do not need to handle. In the beginning we were trusted. Now, with new upper management in place, we are micromanaged. The expectations are now outrageous and drone-like. If you so much step out of your area you get stared at, like you don't belong. Excuse me, while I try and go the toilet.

I learned how to successfully make lasting professional and personal relationships at this place, as we all work closely together. I will miss them when I move on to bigger and better things.

My co-workers. I adore most - others are not my favorite, but this happens everywhere. Where I work I like everyone.

The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the amount of that comes in. We cannot finish everything in time, ever. Upper management seems to think we do "Just fine," despite that they have no clue what goes on down here, while they sit behind their desks and argue about more important things than the mental and physical well being of their worker bees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the friends I've made. We are all very close knit, and when one of us is not there their absence is felt.

Overall, it's a good place. Provided
  more... you don't care about how they run things behind the curtain...also there is asbestos in the warehouse. Good job there, guys.  less
Pros
Good co workers, company outings
Cons
Everything Else
Terrible Place to Work
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCAugust 15, 2015
The work culture here is horrible. You receive very little support from other departments. There are minimal processes in place for everyday tasks. These is unfathomable because this is not a new company. No room for advancement.
i learn play Tinnes
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 26, 2015
I learn on online fixing even machine if thye getting wrong to simple operate how.to stop or push back to operate. and email on the bad label by accounts after they have answer on email need to fixed on it so i learn fix online label.and work as a team make Faster all the order.
Pros
joint my co worker on Cafeteria if break.
Cons
learn how to deal all my co worker ether bad or good

2.5