Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Research Representative Accounts Receivalbe (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC30 August 2017
Awesome environment with a family friendly feel to it. Advancement opportunities are present but limited depending on your skill set. Pay is average but if you are a knowledgeable dependable employee this can be a good place to work.
Easy Job
Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA11 August 2017
The job is very simple and easy to do; there are times where there are a lot of projects going on but you can schedule them according to your availability.
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
Not enough hours during the week; its according to the projects that are scheduled
Great company overall, but too much traveling required unable to balance work and family.
Sales Consultant Public Libraries (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC31 July 2017
I enjoy the job and working with public library customers, my desire to leave steams from the heavy travel and the travel policy of having to use my own personal car for travel. This causes a huge financial burden and keeps me away from home 4 out of 5 days per week.
Pros
Kind employees, willing to train and support
Cons
Too Much Travel, No Company Car and poor reinbursement policy
Ok starting job. not enough room to go up in ranks
Order Picker/ back up Lead (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL23 July 2017
OK place to start out if you need job experience. started out at 40 hour per week. Rarely get 40 hours per week anymore. some coworkers are very unmotivated to work which makes it difficult to work with them. Management is friendly. Hardest part of the job is walking all day. The job is very easy and anyone can learn it. lots of repetitive work.
Safe environment , with great tools to get job done
Packing (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL22 July 2017
Baker & taylor gives a wonderful oppournity to learn serval different job qualities all in one facility . Which helps in the outside world to be prepared & trained for other jobs!
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
The hours get cut suddenly which is hard for one income
It a Monday to Friday many different shift to choose from
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ1 July 2017
It is a alright job if you are going through college or need a job while you are in school. The pay is alright easy to get to. The management team need more training and needs to work better as a team
B & t
Information Coordinator, Entertainment Department (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ12 June 2017
Very hard to get ahead as they so rarely promote or hire from within the office. Suggestions are made and not adequately met. Unfair treatment of employees.
Productive and fun workplace with a cafeteria.
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL13 April 2017
Work is fast past.

I learned a lot about quality care for shipments.

Management was very help for with problems.

Workplace culture quality for the customer.

Hardest part of my job is. Seating up new customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job is. The people I work with.
Productive and fun place to work.
2nd. Shift Picking/CDF Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ30 January 2017
Walk in and make my rounds and make sure everything is running in good order. Touch base with my team lead and make sure we have a game plan for our shift coming in. Start gathering my reports for my staff meeting. Come up with a game plan for the rest of the night.

Walk around and see if everyone is doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Check with production planner and make sure we communicate with other departments and make sure their needs are met.
Pros
Fun working with the people
Cons
2nd shift hours are not the greatest.
fast paced and exciting
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL20 December 2016
Scanning and sorting books and other items to be sent out to customers. I learned every department in this warehouse as well. Stowing, sorting , packing and shipping. Management was great, I learned a lot form my supervisor. My co-workers was the easiest people to work with. the hardest part was leaving this job. the most enjoyable part was know that at the end of the day I made a lot of customers happy.
great people...
copy cataloger (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GA21 November 2016
good atmosphere and nice people. their disciplinary system is way outdated and the correct steps aren't being taken to prevent people getting let go unnecessarily.
Pros
great company with lots of fun things like free meals and bingo
Cons
healthcare is not great.
I like to be an active worker so, in my opinion, its a very boring workplace. Its fast pace walking and scanning books when you're an order picker.
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL2 November 2016
It's fast pace because you're timed to see your production value. I personally do not like that, I like being able to work at my own pace. It's a decent workplace though, my trainer was nice and did the best she could to show me how things are done. You get 3 days of training and 2 weeks of your trainer being near to help if you can't find a book.
Pros
Day shift has cooks.
Run away
Worthless (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV8 August 2016
If you are into busting butt (they tell pickers to go home early, then make them work Saturday)
Only pays $10:00 to bust your butt all day.,walking more than 10 miles a day.
Don't apply
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL11 July 2016
Thought this was going to be a laid back job boy o boy was I WRONG. The pay is a joke. You bust your behind for a little of nothing pay. The hours are so inconsistent. You get sent home from as low as two hour after you clock in and even told not to bother coming in the next day.People are treated accordingly to how much of a teachers pet they are. You will notice the "clicks "fast. They ( trainers, leads, supervisors) will set you up!! Pay attention!! To run you out. This place is a revolving door. There is no use of making this a long term job unless you been there for years. The favorites always get the good workloads to make incentive if your not good luck keeping up. Breaks are short clocks are set different times to rip you off some minutes. Place is dirty and dusty. All equipment is from the early 1700's.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Clocking out
Horrible
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL29 June 2016
Stay away from this place. You get treated bad if you aren't a favorite. Only get paid 10 dollars for a job that you should get paid more for. They say you get an incentive but you have to go over 105 percent which is hard to do if you're in a bad pick area and hard in good ones. If you aren't fast enough people will hit you with their carts or stomp their feet behind you. The benefits are good you get those after your 90 days along with your pto but you can't use them if you want to call off you have to fill out a paper and wait to see if you're approved or not. If you want to transfer to a different department your pay will go down to 9 dollars. There are some trainers who don't care to even train you and won't tell you everything so once you are on your own you have no idea how to do most things and you have to be careful who you ask because most people won't help you and if they do they will tell you the wrong thing so you get in trouble. You're with your trainer for only 3 days then you're on your own and they check on you and do an audit once a week. Only get 2 ten minute breaks which are nothing because it takes most of your break time to walk to a break room. Management sucks. This place is ran backwards. This place desperately needs and upgrade in technology. One part is air conditioned and the older section is not so you're sweating all the time. There barely is any work to do so you get sent home early in the morning of after lunch. This place will fire you for no reason really at all that's why they are always hiring. This place is against you from the first day  more... you start.If you are away from your cart for more than 5 minutes there is a chance you will get written up or a supervisor will come and take it and then yell at you for using the bathroom or whatever. This place makes it so hard to stay your 90 days because you'd want to quit after your first two weeks. I thought this job wouldn't be bad because I worked at other warehouses that's were much bigger and more physical but I was wrong. I would stay away from this place. If you wanted to be treated like youre nothing and get paid little to nothing then this place is for you.  less
Pros
Clocking out at the end of day
Cons
Everything, management, pay, short breaks, low hours, no work, favoritism
new ownership
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NV18 June 2016
i'm hoping the new company that bought baker and taylor. will have their own pair of eye's in the warehouses. maybe have the holiday's and vacation time improved. not PTO. some of the comments i have read, like high school drama are spot on. management and their buddy system, also spot on. being told after working 7 hrs. 59 minutes that you are staying 10 hrs. unbelievable. making incentive, if you are indirect you can only make an dollar extra an hr. so the people i work with all get that dollar. even tho a few of us are doing all the work. management see's this and does nothing about it. i am hoping the new owners will shake thing's up. it's time for a wake up call.
Great part-time job with flexibility hours
RETAIL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Albany, NY17 June 2016
Easy access to assignments on Natural Insight web site.
I schedule my weekly dates and times to complete projects.
My hours are summited for payment after I enter data information
required for project in Natural Insight.
Pros
Enjoy working with management and staff at Michaels Craft Store
okay
Kit matcher (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GA31 May 2016
Did not like working for a company that did not take care of the people who help run the business and keep it going. You have to take care of you're workers
Pros
great hours
Cons
company
Not a bad place to work, but change happened rappidly
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJ30 April 2016
It was interesting because this company and the last one I worked for both did the same type of work. The difference was that Baker & Taylor distributed other companies products, where My last company distributed their own. So they were able to offer a better work lifestyle, longer breaks, higher wages, bonuses, more time off. However, Baker & Taylor had more overtime and job security. But since the company grew so fast by always distributing for more and more companies it had a very impersonal feel about it. The work was pretty easy to do, and I miss some of the people I worked with.
Pros
overtime, job security
Cons
shorter breaks, less perks
productive workplace but to many departments are in the warehouse
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ23 April 2016
My typical day at work is busy. I not only do my job but I also help my coworkers if they need it. Like this week I am covering for my coworker because she is training people from outside of work to do our cycle counting. Her job position is very busy plus I am trying to do my job as well.

I think that it is good that people should be cross trained to do other peoples job.

There are alot of good things with my company and not good things. But at least I know that I am cross trained in other departments and that I can help out.
Pros
two breaks and a lunch
Cons
not enough room in the warehouse