Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

Work Experience
Sortation (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, IL18 November 2017
-Everyone gets along, like neighbors.
-Pay is Fair, for the type of you do.
-Zone into the work so easily.
-Time flies when you work consistently.
-If you don't like stressing at a job and want to work comfortably, this is the job.
Credit / Collections Specialist / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC14 November 2017
A typical day for me personally is to start off, by logging in a system called Live Chat. This system is where our Customers can ask questions or ask to be enrolled in a free system that Baker & Taylor offers called Invoice Gateway. Being that I'm the only representative out of about 40 employees handling this system as well as the representative that transfer voice messages to my coworkers, it makes my daily duties fast pace, which I prefer. I then respond to my emails, as I handle to CST region and my customers are not at work until 9am CST; which I'm in at 8am EST. I then work my way to listening to voice messages and returning calls promptly. As the day go by I work on my portfolio in which I have a goal of $4.8 Million a month. I've learned a lot working at Baker & Taylor for the last 9 years and 6 months. I enjoy my job as I'm a very easy person to get along with.
Pros
We do alot of fun things/parties
Cons
Heatlhcare
Great Company
Digital Support Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GA13 November 2017
This is a Great Company, Many long time employees. Great Benefits, Plenty of PTO that builds every pay period. Here at B&T you are treated like Family
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
N/a
Do not work here unless it is temporary!
Kit matcher, order picker, cataloger (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL17 October 2017
It's supposed to be a "family" company, but it's not. Management could care less about you life outside of this job. When there is a ton of work, you're expected to be there and work overtime, it doesn't matter if you have things scheduled prior to being put on overtime. If you don't come in on a Saturday, it's a point! You'll be scheduled for overtime on Saturday, and by Tuesday you're being sent home due to lack of work. There is no consistency with this company what so ever. You also only earn a ridiculous amount of pto per pay period. Like 3.4 hours or something like that. The pay is ridiculous, and you're always cheated out of your incentive pay. The turnover rate is very high, and there is a good reason for this. It's a very fast paced environment. You're being rushed to get work out, and then punished when the work isn't done correctly. Well it's wrong because it was rushed! The environment is awful. People are in a funk, and rightfully so. Only work here if absolutely necessary, and try not to stay longer than a year.
Pros
The hours
Cons
pay, pto earned, insurance rates, etc...
Book distributor stuck in the 50s
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ5 October 2017
Middle mgmt has no interest in sales operation, or working with his people. very removed and only interested in #s. staff works hard with little support
Pros
industry leader at libraries for books
Cons
no digital masterplan, trails competition
Great place to work.
Research Representative Accounts Receivalbe (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC30 August 2017
Awesome environment with a family friendly feel to it. Advancement opportunities are present but limited depending on your skill set. Pay is average but if you are a knowledgeable dependable employee this can be a good place to work.
great part time work
Merchandising Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryland14 August 2017
Easy company to work for.Great flexibility. Meet lots of people.Go into establishments replenish stock,discuss with MOD work completed or if more inventory needs to be ordered.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
n/a
Easy Job
Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA11 August 2017
The job is very simple and easy to do; there are times where there are a lot of projects going on but you can schedule them according to your availability.
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
Not enough hours during the week; its according to the projects that are scheduled
Great company overall, but too much traveling required unable to balance work and family.
Sales Consultant Public Libraries (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC31 July 2017
I enjoy the job and working with public library customers, my desire to leave steams from the heavy travel and the travel policy of having to use my own personal car for travel. This causes a huge financial burden and keeps me away from home 4 out of 5 days per week.
Pros
Kind employees, willing to train and support
Cons
Too Much Travel, No Company Car and poor reinbursement policy
Ok starting job. not enough room to go up in ranks
Order Picker/ back up Lead (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL23 July 2017
OK place to start out if you need job experience. started out at 40 hour per week. Rarely get 40 hours per week anymore. some coworkers are very unmotivated to work which makes it difficult to work with them. Management is friendly. Hardest part of the job is walking all day. The job is very easy and anyone can learn it. lots of repetitive work.
Safe environment , with great tools to get job done
Packing (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL22 July 2017
Baker & taylor gives a wonderful oppournity to learn serval different job qualities all in one facility . Which helps in the outside world to be prepared & trained for other jobs!
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
The hours get cut suddenly which is hard for one income
It a Monday to Friday many different shift to choose from
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ1 July 2017
It is a alright job if you are going through college or need a job while you are in school. The pay is alright easy to get to. The management team need more training and needs to work better as a team
B & t
Information Coordinator, Entertainment Department (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ12 June 2017
Very hard to get ahead as they so rarely promote or hire from within the office. Suggestions are made and not adequately met. Unfair treatment of employees.
Productive and fun workplace with a cafeteria.
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL13 April 2017
Work is fast past.

I learned a lot about quality care for shipments.

Management was very help for with problems.

Workplace culture quality for the customer.

Hardest part of my job is. Seating up new customers.

Most enjoyable part of the job is. The people I work with.
Productive and fun place to work.
2nd. Shift Picking/CDF Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ30 January 2017
Walk in and make my rounds and make sure everything is running in good order. Touch base with my team lead and make sure we have a game plan for our shift coming in. Start gathering my reports for my staff meeting. Come up with a game plan for the rest of the night.

Walk around and see if everyone is doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Check with production planner and make sure we communicate with other departments and make sure their needs are met.
Pros
Fun working with the people
Cons
2nd shift hours are not the greatest.
fast paced and exciting
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL20 December 2016
Scanning and sorting books and other items to be sent out to customers. I learned every department in this warehouse as well. Stowing, sorting , packing and shipping. Management was great, I learned a lot form my supervisor. My co-workers was the easiest people to work with. the hardest part was leaving this job. the most enjoyable part was know that at the end of the day I made a lot of customers happy.
great people...
copy cataloger (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GA21 November 2016
good atmosphere and nice people. their disciplinary system is way outdated and the correct steps aren't being taken to prevent people getting let go unnecessarily.
Pros
great company with lots of fun things like free meals and bingo
Cons
healthcare is not great.
I like to be an active worker so, in my opinion, its a very boring workplace. Its fast pace walking and scanning books when you're an order picker.
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL2 November 2016
It's fast pace because you're timed to see your production value. I personally do not like that, I like being able to work at my own pace. It's a decent workplace though, my trainer was nice and did the best she could to show me how things are done. You get 3 days of training and 2 weeks of your trainer being near to help if you can't find a book.
Pros
Day shift has cooks.
Run away
Worthless (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV8 August 2016
If you are into busting butt (they tell pickers to go home early, then make them work Saturday)
Only pays $10:00 to bust your butt all day.,walking more than 10 miles a day.
Don't apply
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL11 July 2016
Thought this was going to be a laid back job boy o boy was I WRONG. The pay is a joke. You bust your behind for a little of nothing pay. The hours are so inconsistent. You get sent home from as low as two hour after you clock in and even told not to bother coming in the next day.People are treated accordingly to how much of a teachers pet they are. You will notice the "clicks "fast. They ( trainers, leads, supervisors) will set you up!! Pay attention!! To run you out. This place is a revolving door. There is no use of making this a long term job unless you been there for years. The favorites always get the good workloads to make incentive if your not good luck keeping up. Breaks are short clocks are set different times to rip you off some minutes. Place is dirty and dusty. All equipment is from the early 1700's.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Clocking out