Baker & Taylor Employee Reviews

fast paced and exciting
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL20 December 2016
Scanning and sorting books and other items to be sent out to customers. I learned every department in this warehouse as well. Stowing, sorting , packing and shipping. Management was great, I learned a lot form my supervisor. My co-workers was the easiest people to work with. the hardest part was leaving this job. the most enjoyable part was know that at the end of the day I made a lot of customers happy.
Not a bad place to work, but change happened rappidly
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJ30 April 2016
It was interesting because this company and the last one I worked for both did the same type of work. The difference was that Baker & Taylor distributed other companies products, where My last company distributed their own. So they were able to offer a better work lifestyle, longer breaks, higher wages, bonuses, more time off. However, Baker & Taylor had more overtime and job security. But since the company grew so fast by always distributing for more and more companies it had a very impersonal feel about it. The work was pretty easy to do, and I miss some of the people I worked with.
Pros
overtime, job security
Cons
shorter breaks, less perks
Horrible
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL29 June 2016
Stay away from this place. You get treated bad if you aren't a favorite. Only get paid 10 dollars for a job that you should get paid more for. They say you get an incentive but you have to go over 105 percent which is hard to do if you're in a bad pick area and hard in good ones. If you aren't fast enough people will hit you with their carts or stomp their feet behind you. The benefits are good you get those after your 90 days along with your pto but you can't use them if you want to call off you have to fill out a paper and wait to see if you're approved or not. If you want to transfer to a different department your pay will go down to 9 dollars. There are some trainers who don't care to even train you and won't tell you everything so once you are on your own you have no idea how to do most things and you have to be careful who you ask because most people won't help you and if they do they will tell you the wrong thing so you get in trouble. You're with your trainer for only 3 days then you're on your own and they check on you and do an audit once a week. Only get 2 ten minute breaks which are nothing because it takes most of your break time to walk to a break room. Management sucks. This place is ran backwards. This place desperately needs and upgrade in technology. One part is air conditioned and the older section is not so you're sweating all the time. There barely is any work to do so you get sent home early in the morning of after lunch. This place will fire you for no reason really at all that's why they are always hiring. This place is against you from the first day  more... you start.If you are away from your cart for more than 5 minutes there is a chance you will get written up or a supervisor will come and take it and then yell at you for using the bathroom or whatever. This place makes it so hard to stay your 90 days because you'd want to quit after your first two weeks. I thought this job wouldn't be bad because I worked at other warehouses that's were much bigger and more physical but I was wrong. I would stay away from this place. If you wanted to be treated like youre nothing and get paid little to nothing then this place is for you.  less
Pros
Clocking out at the end of day
Cons
Everything, management, pay, short breaks, low hours, no work, favoritism
I like to be an active worker so, in my opinion, its a very boring workplace. Its fast pace walking and scanning books when you're an order picker.
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL2 November 2016
It's fast pace because you're timed to see your production value. I personally do not like that, I like being able to work at my own pace. It's a decent workplace though, my trainer was nice and did the best she could to show me how things are done. You get 3 days of training and 2 weeks of your trainer being near to help if you can't find a book.
Pros
Day shift has cooks.
new ownership
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NV18 June 2016
i'm hoping the new company that bought baker and taylor. will have their own pair of eye's in the warehouses. maybe have the holiday's and vacation time improved. not PTO. some of the comments i have read, like high school drama are spot on. management and their buddy system, also spot on. being told after working 7 hrs. 59 minutes that you are staying 10 hrs. unbelievable. making incentive, if you are indirect you can only make an dollar extra an hr. so the people i work with all get that dollar. even tho a few of us are doing all the work. management see's this and does nothing about it. i am hoping the new owners will shake thing's up. it's time for a wake up call.
Don't apply
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL11 July 2016
Thought this was going to be a laid back job boy o boy was I WRONG. The pay is a joke. You bust your behind for a little of nothing pay. The hours are so inconsistent. You get sent home from as low as two hour after you clock in and even told not to bother coming in the next day.People are treated accordingly to how much of a teachers pet they are. You will notice the "clicks "fast. They ( trainers, leads, supervisors) will set you up!! Pay attention!! To run you out. This place is a revolving door. There is no use of making this a long term job unless you been there for years. The favorites always get the good workloads to make incentive if your not good luck keeping up. Breaks are short clocks are set different times to rip you off some minutes. Place is dirty and dusty. All equipment is from the early 1700's.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Clocking out
The paycheck was the only good thing about this job.
order picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, IL8 April 2013
You don't work with someone breathing down your neck, but you are tracked by computer the entire time you are there, and constantly questioned about your down time (dead batteries, computer problems, etc.). The management is completely clueless as to what it takes to do the job, and what circumstances affect performance, nor do they care. They only care how it looks on paper. The criticism is constant and the praise is virtually non existent. You have to be either be related to one of the bosses or buddies with them to have any chance for advancement. Performance and seniority mean nothing. Easily ranks as one of the worst run companies I have ever dealt with. Companies that are constantly hiring (like this one) are just proving how difficult they are to work for.
Pros
they pay you to be there.
Cons
everything else
great people...
copy cataloger (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GA21 November 2016
good atmosphere and nice people. their disciplinary system is way outdated and the correct steps aren't being taken to prevent people getting let go unnecessarily.
Pros
great company with lots of fun things like free meals and bingo
Cons
healthcare is not great.
Horrible
Order Picker/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Momence, IL19 August 2013
Have worked both part time and full time for the company. 100% prefer part time. As a full time employee you receive benefits which are good and the pay is also good if you are willing to work hard to meet incentive. The supervisors work well with their employee's in most situations. Not concerned with your life outside of the job, to them your job should be your top priority. If you enjoy working unexpected overtime you would enjoy this job. You also must enjoy being on your feet for most of the day for most jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job is breaks and clocking out at the end of the day.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, Stay in shape
Cons
Not family oriented. Unexpected overtime.
Open fun and friendly environment
Kit Matcher (Current Employee) –  Commerce, GA20 August 2013
Open friendly work environment, with great benefits and incentives. I have learned to be more sociable and outgoing while working here, the coworkers are very accepting and genuinely care about me and my other coworkers. The hardest part of the job is memorizing the counties. The best thing I like about Baker & Taylor is the three breaks I get daily and how laid back it is.
Pros
3 Breaks, laid back, friendly workers, great management.
Cons
Certain people are not so people oriented and are out for the worst, and they are not hesitant to fire you over small things.
Managemnt is Only Concerned With Themselves
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Contoocook14 August 2013
Management at my place was poor. There was no leadership. They were constantly looking over their shoulder with a CYA attitude. They did not offer the ability to think outside the box or accept offers to do work that "wasn't your role."

Management doesn't seem to be held responsible by B&T for failures. Blame is allowed to be passed on.

There is no room for growth, no reward for going beyond. Only failure is recognized.

I would not recommend this company to anyone in a professional role.
Pros
Book sales
Cons
Poor benefits; poor management
Great part-time job with flexibility hours
RETAIL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Albany, NY17 June 2016
Easy access to assignments on Natural Insight web site.
I schedule my weekly dates and times to complete projects.
My hours are summited for payment after I enter data information
required for project in Natural Insight.
Pros
Enjoy working with management and staff at Michaels Craft Store
Cons
productive workplace but to many departments are in the warehouse
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJ23 April 2016
My typical day at work is busy. I not only do my job but I also help my coworkers if they need it. Like this week I am covering for my coworker because she is training people from outside of work to do our cycle counting. Her job position is very busy plus I am trying to do my job as well.

I think that it is good that people should be cross trained to do other peoples job.

There are alot of good things with my company and not good things. But at least I know that I am cross trained in other departments and that I can help out.
Pros
two breaks and a lunch
Cons
not enough room in the warehouse
Run away
Worthless (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV8 August 2016
If you are into busting butt (they tell pickers to go home early, then make them work Saturday)
Only pays $10:00 to bust your butt all day.,walking more than 10 miles a day.
Great job
National Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC18 April 2016
Received a lot of experience with this job. Management was friendly and the co-workers were great. They took us out once a month on the company after work to get to know us on a personal level. That was great
Pros
Cons
I relocated
Terrible
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Momence, Il29 April 2013
They tell you your pay is based on how fast you move. What they don't tell you, is from the first week you're there they do everything they can to slow you down and prevent you from your next raise. Your hours are never guarunteed. Some days you leave by lunch, after lunch...some days you leave an hour early...and others you stay an extra hour. Not too bad right? Wrong! They don't even tell you what you'll be working that day until an hour before your said to leave. You will work 9 hours, so the next shift can get sent home early. You will do this for 2 weeks, then youll be back to 8 hour days for a week, then your gettin sent home 4 hours early and the next day your back to 9. Management is clueless to almost everything.. Co-workers are favored and each get treated differently in a range from good and bad. Most of the time its more of a competition then actual work. But overall, at the end of the month your percentage is based on you, and everyone else arou d you...given there are people who'd rather stand around talking to anything with ears, its rather irritating to fi d you've not made your incentive that month because of it. This company has no idea how to run anything. The digital world is taking over, and needs to get to this place a little faster.

If you want to feel as if you are back in high school, with your every move tracked and questioned, working your a** off for them to just slow you down or come up with some bogus reason as to why you didn't make your percentage that month, and feeling unwelcome and unappreciated in your workplace...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR
  more... YOU!   less
Pros
End of the day.
Cons
Entire Company.
Great co workers,management needs improvement
Customer Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC23 May 2014
Not a family oriented company as far as the vacations/sick time and medical benefits are concerned. There ia also no room for growth. No bonuses are given.
Great workplace! Hard work pays off!!!
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  momence Il3 November 2014
Baker and Taylor is a great company to work for. They listen to opinions and seem to care. Overtime is mandatory but it was clearly stated in the interview so no surprise.
Pros
Referral program, benefits, PTO
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, Texas29 February 2016
Properly train employees instead of one day in the field and then you are on your own. There is not enough time for weekly visits or resets. Sometimes they do take longer and you shouldn't have to ask for extra time. The hours for part time employees is anywhere from 5-10 hours a week and pay is okay. Pay your employees based on experience instead of pocket change.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Time limit on projects, mgmt.
Job
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJ16 April 2016
Worked as Inventory Control Clerk. Did cycle counting and other duties pertaining in the dept. Liked working on my own with supervision and well with multi-tasking.
Pros
Job, co-workers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baker & Taylor. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6