Babcock Canada Inc. is a Canadian ISO 9001 & 14001 and OHSAS 18001 registered company employing approximately 200 personnel at three locations (Halifax, Ottawa and Victoria). Our parent company, Babcock International Group PLC, provides significant reachback capabilities in the Naval, Nuclear, Training, and Defence Communication fields. We are currently under contract with Canada for the Victoria class submarine In-Service Support Contract (VISSC). As such we provide a wide range of services including program and Project Management, Materiel & Logistic Support, Systems Engineering, Configuration Management & Records Support, Maintenance & Extended Docking Work Period Support, and Information & Knowledge Management. Our line of business is unique to Canada and we will continue to offer the opportunity for Canadians to develop and retain these highly specialized skills.
We are currently recruiting for a Vice President, Operations based in Ottawa, ON. This is a full-time, permanent position. The VP Operations is the Senior Engineering executive and deputy to the COO. VP Ops ensures disciplined and professional engineering and operations processes and execution across Babcock Canada. VP Ops will provide Engineering and PM assurance, and deliver continuous improvement across the Victoria In-Service Support Contract (VISSC) program, as well as for other programs as they unfold. VP Ops will be the subject matter expert and lead for the Design Agent function.
VP Ops will initially be double-hatted as the VISSC Program Manager, with a focus on execution excellence, and organic growth by expanding the scope of work for all Pillars under VISSC and establishment of Tier 0 through 3 or full “enterprise” support to the Victoria Class Desk. VP Ops will interface with the Submarine Class Desk senior management, establishing a trusted Integrated Program Team (IPT) environment, and providing platform level view and expert advice on operational performance, program risk, prioritization of ECs, and value-added design and capability development. The objective is to build confidence and credibility with DND, and demonstrate through knowledge leadership and effective Program execution that Babcock Canada is the RCN’s submarine expert. The expertise, capacity and high quality performance demonstrated on VISSC will provide the credibility and core capability to support Babcock Canada’s growth objectives in Naval and Coast Guard surface ship programs.
The principal tasks and responsibilities entail:
- Is a member of the Babcock Canada executive team in Ottawa, actively contributing to achievement Babcock Canada vision and goals and providing input to the development of corporate strategic direction, objectives and targets;
- Champions and leads Engineering and PM assurance across the company, based on the 15288 and PMBOK standards respectively;
- Is overall responsible for effective Engineering function across all contracts; ensuring strong communication between the disparate Babcock Canada offices, consistent application of processes, and effective execution.
- Is responsible for establishing an operational and engineering organisational framework that is scalable to accommodate future programs and for the implementation of that framework in support of Babcock Canada’s growth, whether organic or by acquisition.
- Provides guidance, advice and reporting to the COO and President for engineering matters in support of the Babcock Canada and Babcock International Boards;
- Collaborates with the other Babcock International Divisions to leverage international capability and experience, consistent with the “One Babcock Canada” philosophy;
- Leads the VISSC team to deliver the core and emergent work for VISSC;
- Identifies and pursues opportunities to grow revenue and profitability while effectively executing contracts;
- Collaborate with the BD team to identify new opportunities and competitive solutions;
- Implement the Engineering Change Initiatives and Mather’s report actions to establish a high-performance Engineering and PM team at Babcock Canada, with a focus on recognized professional standards and high quality outcomes and assured engineering;
- Leads the Design Agent function for Babcock Canada particularly Maintenance of Design Intent, Integration of Engineering Change and Obsolescence Management, and Assurance of Safety and Capability, assisting the Victoria Class Desk meet the aspiration of DND’s Naval Material Assurance objectives.
- Identify risks, impacts and mitigation and apply as appropriate for effective program execution;
- Recruit and develop the best engineering and PM talent; works closely with HR to strengthen and grow a high performance engineering and PM team.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Canadian markets relevant to the Babcock International Divisions with priority on M&T.
- Ensure compliance with Canada’s Industrial and Regional Benefits (IRB) framework, ITAR, IP and Security considerations;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all key program stakeholders (customers, partners, suppliers, other Babcock departments and divisions; internal and external);
- Manage customer expectation and engagement to build trust and support an Integrated Program Team (IPT) approach that can develop and deliver against Through Life Management Plans;
- Initiate internal and external teaming to address capability and capacity shortfalls and open new areas of growth opportunity;
- Provide timely and appropriate management information and reporting for contract and progress review purposes in line with Company corporate governance; and,
- Works closely with Finance and Contracts to ensure fiscal and contractual discipline are embedded in the Programs and relevant aspects tracked and managed effectively.
The job qualifications and requirements include:
- A university degree in engineering or a technical field. An MBA would be a definite asset;
- At least ten years’ experience in complex defence contracts with a particular focus on Ships and Submarines across In Service Support, Design Management and particularly Whole Platform Design Integration;
- Experience with industrial cooperation and partnering; domestically and in international environments;
- An existing network at senior levels within the Canadian defence community;
- Experience with the Canadian Government procurement process;
- Proven experience and success managing and executing large, complex defence programs;
- Experience and evidence of working at a strategic level delivering high performance through inspiring leadership;
- Ability to build and maintain close-working relationships and networks at a senior level with customers and industry across Canada;
- Strong understanding of contracting methods and application;
- Uses long term innovative thinking to stimulate new opportunities or solutions;
- Early identification and mitigation of business and corporate risks;
- Energy, drive and initiative. The position will require the stamina and self-motivation to deal with periodic heavy workloads, challenging technical and customer issues and dispersed teams.
- Experience in delivering Operational Excellence and organization and culture change in a multi-location company.
- Experience in delivering Engineering Excellence against a government self-regulatory safety framework.
- Effective computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Must be eligible for an Enhanced Reliability Security clearance.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $140,000 - $180,000 per annum
- Health and Dental benefits
- RRSP/DPSP benefits
- Discretionary bonus
- Minimum 4 weeks’ vacation per fiscal year
- Other discretionary benefits may apply
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at www.babcockinternational.com.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you.
Babcock Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity.
Company Information Head Office:
600-85 Albert St
Ottawa, ON K1P 6A4