Babcock Canada Inc. is a Canadian ISO 9001 & 14001 and OHSAS 18001 registered company employing approximately 200 personnel at three locations (Halifax, Ottawa and Victoria). Our parent company, Babcock International Group PLC, provides significant reachback capabilities in the Naval, Nuclear, Training, and Defence Communication fields. We are currently under contract with Canada for the Victoria class submarine In-Service Support Contract (VISSC). As such we provide a wide range of services including program and Project Management, Materiel & Logistic Support, Systems Engineering, Configuration Management & Records Support, Maintenance & Extended Docking Work Period Support, and Information & Knowledge Management. Our line of business is unique to Canada and we will continue to offer the opportunity for Canadians to develop and retain these highly specialized skills.
We are currently recruiting for Test Engineering Technologist positions (Constructive, Mechanical and Electrical) based in Victoria, BC. These are temporary contract positions (5 in total), each position varies in length ranging anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. The successful candidates will carry out the testing and commissioning of Victoria Class Submarine systems and equipments.
The principal tasks and responsibilities entail:
- To ensure the safe operation of all plant and processes under their control
- To supervise and direct employees during the commissioning of submarine systems and equipments to time, cost and quality, ensuring that all rework is identified and recorded
- Ensuring that all activities conform to professional engineering standards, quality, and submarine safety constraints. Informing the relevant Principal Test Specialist in the event of any significant delays or any untoward events which occur
- The inspection, testing, calibration and commissioning of systems and equipment in accordance with authorised documentation, carrying out fault diagnosis and proposing corrective solutions
- Identifying and recording defects/deficiencies ensuring that all emergent work is correctly recognised
- Controlling and conducting system release during the initial stages of the work package and maintenance/preservation routines during the final stages
- Maintaining a close liaison with OSMT, Ship Staff, Project and Production personnel so that any possible conflicts in testing and safety implications to the submarine can be readily identified and resolved
- Implementing the requirements of Worksafe BC, Seaspan Marine Safety Procedures, VSL Safety Procedures and the Canadian Standards Act when conducting tests
- Researching and compiling Test Documentation in accordance with the Test Form Index ensuring that the requirements of the Work Specification are understood and included, paying due regard to the relevant Corporate Documentation
- To carry out the role of Test Director when nominated
- To attend Joint Test Groups when required
- To conduct Sea Trials as required by the Commissioning Manager (not mandatory).
The job qualifications and requirements include:
General (applicable to all disciplines)
- Education or Apprenticeship in Engineering Technician or Technologist discipline or equivalent experience.
- Acceptance testing of systems aboard marine vessels an asset (preferably Submarines)
- Eligible for the appropriate security clearance
- Experience with MS Office
- Internal and external tank pressure testing is an asset, including large volume Hydrostatic testing
- Strength testing of fixed components such as eye plates, bollards, capstans desirable
- Chilled Water system and equipment Set to Work experience desirable
- Ventilation systems trials including flow balancing and capacity checks is desirable
- High pressure air and hydraulic system including control knowledge an asset
- A proven knowledge of DC control systems / motor control / generator testing a distinct asset
- Control and monitoring system testing experience desirable
-$53,000 - $150,000 per annum
-Discretionary benefits may apply
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume no later than 13 December 2013 by applying online at www.babcockinternational.com.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Babcock Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity.
Company Information Head Office:
600-85 Albert St
Ottawa, ON K1P 6A4
825 Admirals Rd
Esquimalt, BC V9A 2P1