Test Engineer - Victoria
Babcock Canada Inc.
Babcock Canada Inc. is a Canadian ISO 9001 registered company employing around 200 personnel at three locations (Halifax, Ottawa and Victoria). Our parent company, Babcock International Group PLC, provides significant reachback capabilities in the Naval, Nuclear, Training, and Defence Communication fields. We are currently under contract with Canada for the Victoria class submarine In-Service Support Contract (VISSC). As such we provide a wide range of services including programme and Project Management, Materiel & Logistic Support, Systems Engineering, Configuration Management & Records Support, Maintenance & Extended Docking Work Period Support, and Information & Knowledge Management. Our line of business is unique to Canada and we will continue to offer the opportunity for Canadians to develop and retain these highly specialized skills.
We are currently recruiting for five Test Engineer positions (Constructive, Mechanical and Electrical) based in Victoria, BC. Each position varies in length ranging anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. The successful candidates will carry out the testing and commissioning of Victoria Class Submarine systems and equipments.
The principal tasks and responsibilities entail:
- To ensure the safe operation of all plant and processes under their control
- To supervise and direct employees during the commissioning of submarine systems and equipments to time, cost and quality, ensuring that all rework is identified and recorded
- Ensuring that all activities conform to professional engineering standards, quality orders, and submarine safety constraints. Informing the relevant Principal Test Specialist in the event of any significant delays or any untoward events which occur
- The inspection, testing, calibration and commissioning of systems and equipment in accordance with authorised documentation, carrying out fault diagnosis and proposing corrective solutions
- Identifying and recording defects/deficiencies ensuring that all emergent work is correctly recognised
- Controlling and conducting system release during the initial stages of the work package and maintenance/preservation routines during the final stages
- Maintaining a close liaison with CSMG, OSMT, Ship Staff, Project and Production personnel so that any possible conflicts in testing and safety implications to the submarine can be readily identified and resolved
- Implementing the requirements of Worksafe BC, Seaspan Marine Safety Procedures, VSL Safety Procedures and the Canadian Standards Act when conducting tests
- To ensure that any potential radiological source has been identified and reported to the Safety department. Also ensuring that any task with radiological dose hazard has been reviewed and the potential radiological dose minimised and is as low as reasonable practicable (ALARP).
- Researching and compiling Test Documentation in accordance with the Test Form Index ensuring that the requirements of the Work Specification are understood and included, paying due regard to the relevant Corporate Documentation
- To carry out the role of Test Director when nominated
- To attend Joint Test Groups when required
- To conduct Sea Trials as required by the Commissioning Manager (not mandatory).
The job qualifications and requirements include:
- Internal and external tank pressure testing is an asset, including large volume Hydrostatic testing
- Ventilation systems trials including flow balancing and capacity checks is desirable
- Chilled Water system and equipment Set to Work experience would also be desirable
- Education or Apprenticeship in Engineering discipline or equivalent is essential
- Acceptance testing of systems aboard marine vessels an asset
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume no later than 04 April 2013 by applying online at www.babcockinternational.com. Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Babcock Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity.
Indeed - 13 months ago
Babcock Canada Inc. is a Canadian ISO 9001 & 14001 and OHSAS 18001 registered company employing approximately 200 personnel at three...