Babcock Canada Inc. is a Canadian ISO 9001 & 14001 and OHSAS 18001 registered company employing around 200 personnel at three locations (Halifax, Ottawa and Victoria). Our parent company, Babcock International Group PLC, provides significant reachback capabilities in the Naval, Nuclear, Training, and Defence Communication fields. We are currently under contract with Canada for the Victoria class submarine In-Service Support Contract (VISSC). As such we provide a wide range of services including programme and Project Management, Materiel & Logistic Support, Systems Engineering, Configuration Management & Records Support, Maintenance & Extended Docking Work Period Support, and Information & Knowledge Management. Our line of business is unique to Canada and we will continue to offer the opportunity for Canadians to develop and retain these highly specialized skills.
We are currently recruiting an experienced Technical Administration Support person on a permanent basis based in Victoria, BC. You will be working in a fast paced environment to support the Engineering Team. You will report to the Principal Naval Architect or other delegated person as dictated by the Principal from to time.
The principal tasks and responsibilities entail:
- Manage production, dispatch, receipt and processing of a large number of technical inspection documents, knowing the location and status of every document. Document types will include visual inspection reports, measurements, marked-up drawings and a variety of NDE reports.
- Develop and produce statistical reports on throughput of inspection documents.
- Review and amend existing processes to maximize productivity and minimize turn-around times.
- Analyse the technical documents for omission errors and legibility. Provide on-site briefings and or training to inspection personnel to correct recurrent issues. Note that technical analysis of reports will be done by others.
- Attend certain inspections on ships after suitable training provided by the company.
- Act as the Engineering divisions main administrative support person, providing broad support to a diverse group of Professional Engineers, junior engineers and Technologists.
- Provide administrative support to special projects and tasks.
The job qualifications and requirements include:
Skill Sets. The candidate must:
- Be highly organised.
- Possess advanced knowledge of MS Excel and or MS Access, including the ability to produce and analyse databases.
- Have basic knowledge of other standard office software packages.
- Have competence in process development and development and utilization of measurement metrics.
- The candidate must have critical thinking and problem analysis skills.
- Have a basic understanding of NDE and the types of reports generated.
- Be capable of working on-site in submarines. The candidate must be capable of climbing vertical ladders and be able to work in confined quarters.
- Be able to work largely unsupervised.
Qualifications and Experience. The ideal candidate would:
- Have experience working in an engineering environment
- Have experience working with site-produced documents.
- Have experience with process development and production of metrics.
- Be a graduate from a recognized post secondary institution with an appropriate qualification.
Additionally the candidate must be eligible to obtain enhance reliability security clearance.
The salary for this position will be determined based on experience. Benefits are provided including a 5% annual bonus, 3 weeks vacation, and a health and dental package.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume no later than 22 April 2013. Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Babcock Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity.