Babcock Canada Inc. is a Canadian ISO 9001 & 14001 and OHSAS 18001 registered company employing approximately 250 personnel at four locations (Halifax, Ottawa, Lévis and Victoria). Our parent company, Babcock International Group PLC, provides significant reachback capabilities in the Naval, Nuclear, Training, and Defence Communication fields. We are currently under contract with Canada for the Victoria class submarine In-Service Support Contract (VISSC) and a Canadian Coast Guard refit project. We provide a wide range of services including Program Management, Materiel & Logistic Support, Systems Engineering, Configuration Management & Records Support, Maintenance & Refits, and Information & Knowledge Management.
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Business Operations based in Ottawa, ON. This is a permanent position. The successful candidate will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
Reporting to the COO, the Director of Business Operations is a member of the Babcock Canada executive team based in Ottawa. The Director is responsible to deliver administrative, operations and quality processes and functional support across Babcock Canada. The Director will work closely with the rest of the Executive team to ensure that these services and support are disciplined, professional, and cost-effective, enabling optimized program performance, and supporting achievement of the Company’s revenue and profitability targets.
The Director of Business Operations is responsible for planning, managing, overseeing and applying continuous improvement methodologies to all administrative and operations functions and services for the company. These include HR, IT, QA, Health and Safety, Administration, Facilities, Document Management, and Security. Duties will include coordinating, communicating and oversight of inter-office (Halifax, Levis, Ottawa, and Victoria) processes and activities. Additional duties will include support as appropriate to the President, COO, and the BD Program and Finance teams for organization, change process, facility, financial, programmatic, and bid management activity.
The principal tasks and responsibilities entail:
- Primary role is to lead the Babcock Canada HR, IT, QA, Health and Safety, Administration, Facilities, Document Management, and Security function managers and supporting resources.
- Ensure delivery of these business services to a high standard, consistent with a professional top tier engineering services company in Canada, contract requirements, and Babcock International policies and process.
- Promote and proactively support overall achievement of the mission, values and business objectives of Babcock Canada both internally and externally.
- Lead through example with respect to value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behaviour.
- Develop, strengthen and manage the various business service managers and their teams.
- Provide executive level decision and direction to address more complex and serious HR issues across the Company. Ensure HR policies are competitive in terms of recruiting, compensation and benefits.
- Provide executive level decision and direction to ensure a robust IT infrastructure, tools, helpdesk and related services address the needs of the growing business 24/7. Particular attention is required related to security, capacity and UK connectivity.
- Oversee and ensure compliance of the organizations Quality policies, including audits and maintenance of ISO certification.
- Communicate and ensure compliance of the Company’s health and safety policies in accordance with applicable federal and provincial safety standards and local laws.
- Provide senior management to the administration functions and staff.
- Plan and manage company facilities and infrastructure including establishing and managing lease contracts for office and warehouse space, and ensuring that facilities are in compliance with all local and federal regulations and ordinances.
- Develop, manage and maintain a robust document management system to effectively generate, store and access directories, filing systems, databases, and other data generated and/or controlled by the business, in accordance with security, ITAR and CG regulations.
- Oversee and ensure compliance of the organization’s Security policies, including maintenance of Canadian and International Industrial Security Directorate (CIISD) accreditation and approved processes, for handling, storage and distribution of Classified, ITAR and Controlled Goods data and materials.
- Provide direct support to the COO, Finance, Program Operations and Commercial in other areas of expertise such as mergers and acquisitions, Anti-Bribery and Corruption policy, monthly financial reporting, IRBs, ITAR, SRED, etc.
- Deep knowledge and application experience of administration and operations in a mid-size, multi-site company (300 staff, $200M).
- Strong team building and leadership; clarity of direction, mentoring, coaching and active communication, problem solving, pragmatic action oriented.
- Effective time management, adaptability/flexibility, with proven planning and organization skills in a changing environment and evolving culture
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Effective communication and collaboration across multiple sites in Canada and with Babcock International in the UK. Strong presentation, written, and verbal skills.
- High energy & effectiveness under stress. Ability to follow through and complete overlapping/concurrent activities and projects.
- Strong business acumen, high quality and results focused.
- Well developed diplomatic, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong solid knowledge of accounting systems, budgets, and internal controls.
- Excellent judgement based on experience, creative and innovative thinking, willing to challenge the status quo as/when needed.
- Willing to make decisions, take responsibility, accountable and dependable.
- Strong ethics and integrity.
The job qualifications and requirements include:
- Minimum Bachelors degree in business, engineering, or related field and/or a combination of relevant training and experience.
- Minimum 10 years senior/executive level experience in business operations management.
- Broad experience and proven performance in the defence or high technology industry in the areas of HR, IT, QA (ISO), Health and Safety, Administration, Facilities, Document Management, Security (CIISD, ITAR, Controlled Goods).
- Knowledge and experience with export control and IRBs, SRED, Anti-corruption policies, mergers and acquisitions, contract management, risk management and/or other areas of business operations is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of accounting procedures involving procurement, business expenses, and financial management and reporting.
- High level of moral judgment for handling confidential information and monetary transactions.
- Experience in managing third-party product and service providers.
- Fluent computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe products and e-mail.
- Eligible for a Secret Security Clearance
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at www.babcockinternational.com no later than 26 August 2014.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you.
Babcock Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity.
Indeed - 30+ days ago