Position: Student Life Coordinator
Work Centre: BC Teen Challenge Women’s Centre
Hours: Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
About BC Teen Challenge:
BC Teen Challenge exists to see men and women set free from life-controlling addictions. We offer a 12-month faith-based residential program and have four locations in British Columbia. The organization of Teen Challenge began over 50 years ago by helping youth in the ghettos of New York City. Today in Canada, the program is designed for men and women 19 and up, as we continue follow the original program model with tremendous success. We adopt the philosophy that addiction is a symptom of deeper, unresolved issues and believe a person can be completely set free by relying on Jesus Christ to heal the heart and mind. Our program is holistic in nature and includes life skill development, practical work experience, community/church outreach, mentoring and biblical teaching. BC Teen Challenge has centres located in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Okanagan and Vancouver Island. For more information visit www.bcteenchallenge.com.
Overview of the Position:
We are seeking a female candidate to fill the role of Student Life Coordinator at our Abbotsford Women's Centre, who will be responsible for overall student care. This position requires the ability to work well within a team setting and to demonstrate patience, flexibility, wisdom and discernment within an environment that presents itself with ongoing daily changes and challenges. A summary of qualifications and responsibilities is detailed below.
1. Basic Counseling & Crisis Care skills
2. Strong written and verbal communication skills
3. Administrative and supervisory skills
4. First Aid, CPR certification and Food Safe an asset
5. Valid Driver’s license
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support, encourage, and mentor students with regard to their emotional state. Ability to listen well and to mediate situations that entail personal conflict resolution.
2. Actively participate in student consequence decisions relating to behavioral issues. To do so with due regard for the individual and their circumstances in consultation with the staff team.
3. Oversight of all food ordering, purchasing, storage and menu planning. A desire to provide healthy options, wherever possible. This role includes keeping the kitchen stocked with proper tools, as needed.
4. Managing student room allocations and personal needs.
5. Oversee general work detail and chores in the house and on the grounds, instilling good work ethic and seeking timely completion according to centre schedules.
6. Provide or facilitate transportation for students to appointments and various approved errands.
7. Be responsible for all incoming practical donations related to student life.
8. Be responsible for facility matters, related record keeping and reporting concerns to Centre Director for approval. Have a general working knowledge of systems in the house. Upkeep of home, grounds and vehicle maintenance schedules are included.
9. Coordinate main aspects of student graduation in collaboration with other staff members.
10. Pick-up, check and deliver all incoming and outgoing mail for students.
11. Be available for ‘on call’ emergencies as necessary, in rotation with other staff members.
12. Take part in general office duties and be prepared to handle other duties as assigned at various times by the Centre Director or Program Manager. Be actively engaged in centre life.
13. Be actively engaged with the community in the promotion of the Abbotsford Women’s Centre and the ministry of BC Teen Challenge.
-Salary will be commensurate with experience
-Cover letter to be included with resume