Your passion lies in making a difference. By moving beyond the expected, you help make our world a better place. These values we respect and seek out in employees. Together, we can build our community, foster conservation and deliver clean, reliable energy solutions for today, tomorrow and generations to come.
Being one of the largest electric utilities in Canada and North America, BC Hydro offers challenging opportunities throughout the province.
As per IBEW Collective Agreement.
WE WANT YOU! 2nd Class Certified Power Engineers
Be a part of the most efficient and environmentally friendly method of generating electricity using natural gas. Join the new steam turbine synchronized combine cycle thermal plant at Fort Nelson Generating Station. Seeking 2nd class certified power engineers who thrive on doing something interesting and different everyday of their career. Along with competitive salaries, we offer full benefit coverage, a pension plan, and a remote incentive package. Work life balance and community involvement are encouraged.
- Is a Shift Engineer for the Plant
- Provides support to the project team and Plant during the various phases of the upgrade project
- Operates and maintains the plant to applicable standards, procedures, guidelines, and regulations; including gathering operating data, maintaining logs and records, performing related clerical work; identifying and reporting equipment problems, identifying process problems, developing solutions
- Provides on-the-job training of others
- Prepares emergency preparedness and response procedures as required
- Performs start-ups and shutdowns
- Is responsible for substation switching under the direction of the area control center
- Supervises others
- Issues instructions for safe, efficient and proper operation, and issues or authorizes safety protection guarantees
- Performs all other related and relevant duties.
- A minimum of a BC Second Class certificate of competency in power engineering
- Strong commitment to safety: demonstrated WorkSafe BC requirements and safe work practices Demonstrated commitment to adhering to environmental legislation and environmental work practices
- Ability to meet production schedules and deadlines
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
This position is affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union (IBEW local 258) www.ibew258.bc.ca
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5
- Training and experience in thermal power generation will be considered an asset.
- Experience working within a team environment is desired.
- May be required to be on stand-by call and there is an occasional requirement to work overtime.
- Shifts for this position will range from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm & 6:00 pm to 6:00 am.
- This location is eligible for a remote incentive for 15%. Remote incentives are paid bi-weekly to full-time regular employees in eligible remote locations.
- This location is eligible for a travel incentive. The travel incentive will be paid to full-time regular employees who are permanently working in this location.
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to all Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees.
- Information about the town of Fort Nelson can be found on the BC Communities website http://bccommunities.ca
- BC Third Class certificate of competency in power engineering may be considered for Thermal Plant Operators Technician roles.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at www.bchydro.com/careers/ by February 28, 2012.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox or Internet Explorer. Google Chrome and Safari are not supported. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
At BC Hydro, our vision Powering B.C. with clean, reliable electricity for Generations is about working together to make a difference for the future of all British Columbians. To achieve this goal, we live by our six core values of Safety, Accountability, Teamwork, Integrity, Service and Ingenuity.
Safety – keep safety first in mind, heart and action
Accountability – take ownership, be decisive and move forward
Teamwork – One Hydro – make it happen together
Integrity – do the right thing
Service – proud of our service
Ingenuity – create resourceful solutions
If you share our values and are ready to join a great team, we’d love to hear from you!
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.