Avis Budget Group Employee Reviews in Canada

On call work , very spotty can't depend on any work minimum wage job .
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 10, 2016
Not a bad place to work , management is friendly but not a job where you can depend on a pay cheque due to lack of work hours .
A typical day would be driving a car or truck to or from one destination or another .
Some of the people who you have to drive with in a van for instance drive to fast , but most are ok .
It's a good job if you like to drive , your able to drive brand new or near new cars and trucks .
Pros
You get to drive new cars
Cons
not a lot of hours
Exciting work environment
Rental Agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 20, 2015
Exciting work environment with minimum supervision. working in a fast phase environment and meeting different people on a regular bases mad the work atmosphere enjoyable. However, lack of cars in long weekends and holidays for customers makes it very difficult for management and stuff to meet clients needs.
Pros
discound car rentals
Cons
long hours and weekends
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto AirportMarch 7, 2016
Working for Budget Car Rentals was exciting. You get to meet a lot of people from all over the world since I work at the airport. I have learned a lot about how you can make the customer's happy and will certainly come back because of a great service. The manager's were great. They treat you fairly and with respect. My co-workers are just really helpful and very supportive in every way possible. The hardest part of the job is when you have no car to rent to because of overbooking and customer's are really upset. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer happy and satisfied with our excellent service, because I do care, listen and resolve any concern that they may have.
car rental
washer/Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 5, 2016
• Moved last season’s cars from London to Toronto for auction
• Safely transported new inventory to London location
• Washed and detailed cars
• Booked and checked out customer’s, accepted payments
Pros
moving car, driving to different cities, customer service
long and stressfull
Store Sales clerk (Former Employee) –  Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QCNovember 27, 2015
The days are long and you are running around cleaning cars to prep them for pickups. You also have to answer the phone and take care of walk ins and returns. Give rates and schedule pickups. Its a nice fast paced job really keeps you going but makes you tired at the end of the day. This obviously depends on the time of year, on the low season its not like that its calm and not so busy so its easier.
Pros
good pay rate, meet new people
Cons
long hours, can be physically tiring
The Victoria office is awful
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCNovember 19, 2015
I HATED working here. Four 10 hour days and three days off seemed awesome. Over $20/hr? Yes please.

Ten hours of people complaining that your coworkers duped them into buying insurance was definitely not awesome.

My manager never helped with customers. Ever. He'd call me from the back office and then whisper and ask what was going on. He never once came out to help. They care about nothing other than making as much money as possible at the employee's expense. If you don't get an upgrade on every rental or sell insurance, you're a failure, and they will let you know it.

The ads posted from the Victoria locations offer over $20/hr. Even in my best months, I never came close to that, and it was never from a lack of trying. Your pay is based on a scaling commission. In order to get even $15/hr, you would have to have a "yield" (upgrades, extras, insurance, etc) divided by your rental days of at least 12 to see a penny of your efforts. Otherwise you are paid barely above minimum wage and see none of the money you made.

The turnover rate is extremely high here because of the poor management who are more money-hungry than caring about their employees. If you want a day off, don't count on it. If you want to take your vacation, you have to tell them two months in advance and constantly remind them of when you're taking it, or they won't schedule your time off.

I was never actually trained for this position. I was just kind of thrown into it, and within a month was working more than half of each shift completely alone at night.

Better off applying somewhere else and
  more... saving yourself the hassle.  less
Pros
3 days off/week
Cons
You barely see any of your commission, long hours, poor management
Fun work environment but managers are terrible
Rental Agent (Former Employee) –  Pearson, ONApril 19, 2016
Great pay and benefits but management here seriously lack managerial skills. Co workers are friendly and help you out alot. They're always short on cars and customers are constantly yelling at you. Good job for gaining skills but not long term.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Managers play favorites, always short on cars and no recognition
No growth
Driver and customer service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 17, 2016
Less upper management, implement learning opportunities with room for advancement and pay increases to bring up morale, work the jobs a while before pretending to know how things should be done
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
poor management, poor benefits, employee growth not encouraged
Avis/Budget group
Rental sales agent (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 17, 2016
Nice to work in Avis/Budget group,
learned how to deal with different type of customers
how to upsell
how to manage the time for seasonal time
Pros
break paid
Cons
yes if need it
Entertaining and challenging
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QCMarch 18, 2016
There were a lot of challenges in the workplace that allowed it to be fun.

There were a lot of customers to deal with
Paperwork to prepare and fill out
Procedures to be done
Pros
Free lunch, flexible hours
Cons
Long days
It was an ok job
Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCMarch 12, 2016
The main supervisor is very demanding.
She also watches hockey and expects the employees to think she's some sort of God.

However the workers there are really nice people.
Pros
Very nice people
Cons
not flexible
Meet fun new people everyday.
front counter attendant/Detailer (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJune 24, 2015
A typical day would start out with me behind a computer for a few hours imputing numbers and getting everything ready for the day then in the garage cleaning and washing then back to computer waiting for flights to come in. I learned something new everyday and the joy was not knowing what it will be. Surprises daily and you need to always be on your toes ready for anything. Management was relaxed and orderly they really had a effective system. My co-workers were fun and open. Always ready for whatever and it made everyday interesting. Hardest part would be communication barrier at the airport. People from all over the world needed directions and advice which could make their stay more enjoyable. Best part of the job was driving new cars and meeting new people.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Somtimes road kill is still stuck to a car.
Csr/lead
CSR/Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Creating legal contracts and resolving customer issues. Planning and distributing duties. Compiling daily business reports and payroll.
Mentoring new hires on upselling according to the customers needs.
Pros
commission
Cons
not enough pay
Wonderful Job
Customer Assistance Representative (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 16, 2014
I love working for Avis. The job is different every day, and I am never bored. It offers many challenges and problem solving situations which I greatly enjoy. There is not a lot of room for advancement though which is a negative, but overall I am happy with my job and love the management team. The pay is good as the job is based on your hourly wage, plus commissions. This is an excellent part time job. The only real downfall about the job itself is that by being out of an airport location the hours can be very long if flights are delayed.
Pros
fast paced, positive workplace, excellent management, flexible
Cons
long hours, not much room for advancement
not a bad place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
works well if you are a student and only need part time work, pay is ok, but the hours are long. doesnt work well if you have young children.
Avis & Budget
Rental Agent / Auto Detailer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 4, 2015
A typical day at work would be doing around 30 morning reservations, modifying contracts, filing, cleaning vehicles for the next plane. I have learned how to be patient with customers and how to not stress out so easy. The management of the business is very unorganized, lazy and just never present. My co-workers are wonderful to work with, it really makes the day better knowing that we can work as a team. The hardest part of the job is the management and how unprofessional it is. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers, the cleaning and how busy it is because the day goes by faster.
The location was pretty busy so it makes the day go faster
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaSeptember 28, 2012
You come in the morning open the location deal with customer and staff issue's I manage 3 downtown location so time management played a big part. Hardest part of the job was not having the support for Senior management specially when you're dealing with multiply issue. I did not have a great expirience when it came to management given the tools and support I believe I would have succeded more. The part I like about it was the customer service I enjoy being able to help everyone. I like the challenges that we face on a day to day basis. I liked the company, and the people who owned it. But unfortunately the operational management sucks!
I take pride in any work I do.
Cons
long hours, under paid and no recognition from senior manager
If you like staying busy, this is the job for you.
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONDecember 22, 2015
I did everything from wash and vacuum cars, answer phones, book reservations, rent and check-in vehicles, and transport passengers.
Pros
You stay busy.
Cons
The hours are long.
Excellent Employment Standart Practice
Shuttler Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson AirportDecember 3, 2015
Very flexible around employee's schedule. The company is a industy leader and demonstrates excellent Customer Service.
very good co workers can support each other
Shuttler (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Drive the clean vehicles to airport and park into stalls. I have learned the different models of autoes and relative knowledge. The company encourage people to work with a self-motivated working style. Staffs are support each other. The hardest part of the job is winter's road conditions. The vehicles might slide on the slippery road. The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling to other towns such as Banff.