autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews

Decent place to work but a ton of pressure
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 July 2016
Overall a decent place to work. The pay is good and the people are really nice. However, there are alot of politics in the company and everyone always seems to be miserable or complaining about their jobs and nothing ever gets fixed. They are very money hungry and their clients needs aren't a priority. I did enjoy my time there and met some great people and as well learned a lot to advance in my career
Pros
Well paying
Cons
Customer service and processes
no long vision
Category Consultant - Online Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
AutoTrader is a very fun casual work place but the management only hire people to implement short term projects. The direction changes all the time they have this concept of moving cheese to refer to that internally. Employee turn around is very high people just come in for the quick experience and nice salary to move on in future.
Great clients to work with, valuable service to provide.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS23 March 2012
Trader has been an enjoyable place to work for many years. For the most part the people you work with in the office and out in the field are top notch. Management may be lacking in the competency department somewhat however the business has changed drastically over the years with ownership changing often and massive job cuts with each change. If you are fortunate enough to avoid being a victim of corporate down sizing, the work environment is flexible and compensation is good and there is satisfaction in providing a valuable service to your clients.
Pros
flexable work enviroment, reasonable compensation
Cons
office politics, managment incompetancy.
Not a great place to work
Online Merchandising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2015
Typically I made dozens of calls each day, but I was told when I was hired that I'd be visiting clients, but the role changed to a home-based call/webinar driven role rather than face-to-face meetings

Management doesn't communicate expectations and when communication occurs it's not consistent. It was unclear what was viewed as success and I was often asked to proceed in a manner that created tension with different departments.

Co-workers were really amazing. Too bad they are remotely located though, since we all got along really well.

Hardest part of the job was the constant change in my role. I was told it would be a more technical product consultation role with lots of opportunity to meet dealers and build relationships, but in the end I was expected to make 30+ plus virtual calls a day, booking virtual visits/webinars and selling, rather than sales support.

My rare opportunities out of the office. Any chance I had to get out of the office and visit clients was enjoyable. This is a tough industry and this company has lots of dealers that don't like Trader, but I found I got along with the Franchise dealers quite well and enjoyed building those relationships when I was given the opportunity to meet face-to-face.
Pros
benefits from day one, great teammates
Cons
poor management, always working alone
Ok Company, Not so great boss.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 October 2012
Position was overall good. You have the usual deadlines and stress to meet those deadlines. My only issue was my boss. I disliked the meetings because all it was about was everyone kissing her butt and if you didn't kiss her butt you were on your way out. Very two faced. I don't know how they hire management and I don't know how she's still there. Very unprofessional.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
managers, like everywhere else you work your butt off and your only a number.
Good
Account Executive/Online Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2012
Great Company to Work for. Long hours not enough compensation. Doing the job of 3 people.
Pros
klm, expense account, blackberry, laptop
Cons
long hours, disorganized company
Great evolution while entering into the online media
Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2013
I started with the company in 2012 and have seen the company evolve since. It offers great leadership opportunities, work life balance.
Free fitness centre, free parking and lots of good things. They have just introduced a lounge, ping pong table, lots of plants.

The support that is provided by the executives is amazing. Their is pressure on deadline and ad hoc projects; This would be in any growing organization.

I love working at TRADER.
Pros
great team, lots of support
Cons
wish it was located in downtown
nice start up
coe (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2015
able to connect and network with vaious automitive parties
enhanced my digital marketing skills
co workers are great
management can be better from a support standpoint
Pros
corporate events
Cons
poor manangement
Fun, inclusive, driven and energetic company moving forward.
Editor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2014
I've been with Trader since June 2013. The company is clearly going through a growth period, and it's exciting. I really enjoy my job and my work day.
It is a large corporation, but has a similar atmosphere and climate to some small non-profits I've been apart of. My manager is engaged and responsive, my work-life balance is good, and my sacrifices outside of hours are recognized. Best of all, I'm given regular recognition. I work in the Toronto office, which has good access to games rooms, etc.
My only gripe: No microwave on my floor (I have to go to the lunch room - boo!)
Pros
Fun atmosphere, growing company
Cons
Some silofication of departments.
Amazing workplace to build on all Call Centre skills required to be successful.
Inside Sales Account Manager/Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke Ontario25 June 2014
The usual day is getting your quotas by the end of the day. Usually have weekly targets. Many programs will be used to enter data information on client, sales etc. The training from management is thorough and very helpful. Co-workers are always helpful. The hardest part of the job would be cold calling. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being in the environment where you could grow on a professional career level.
Micro Management
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby6 May 2015
The main problem with this company for at least the sales department is the level of micro management that is present. Regional Managers and Sales Director know what they are doing and give the impression that they care about their staff. Unfortunately that cannot be said for upper management. The impression that is given is that upper management does not trust their regional managers or sales staff. The lack of empathy from upper management is very troubling and does not provide for a fun work environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Micro Management
Full of Fun Environment
Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  405 West Mall, Etobicoke On20 February 2015
A typical day at work starts with acquiring Brand new customers, I learned lots of communication skills, very persistent behavior, Management is cool, Co-workers are good to work with, Bring consistent sales every week, Work Independently.
Pros
Freedom of hours.
Cons
Many opportunities to grow with the Company and enhance my career
Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 March 2015
I've been with Trader for 6 years and have seen the company shift from print to digital and watched it grow and evolve over those years.

Pros
-Ability to work with many fun and talented individuals
-Managers and Execs are very approachable-Opportunities are there for individuals who step up to the challenge
-Able to work with various business teams to develop new and enhance existing skills through projects and special tasks
-All employees have a yearly allowance for training to enhance skills and knowledge via courses and certifications
-There's internal growth and promotions; Employees growing and moving up through roles across many different teams to take on greater challenges
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You're never board looking for ways to keep busy!

Cons
-Trader has a strong sales culture and is very performance driven; This can be challenging for non-sales roles.
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You can easily find yourself biting off more than you can chew.
Pros
Trader is full of many fun, talented
Cons
Strong sales culture and very performance driven; this can be challenging for non-sales roles.
Products
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2015
Proven successful to be the number one online media solution for all your automotive advertising needs
Fun work place with supportive management
Always one step ahead of the competition
Auto Trader Magazine was a great place to work. Fast paced, tight deadlines!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, On7 May 2014
Every day was different. New challenges and constant trouble shooting. Dealing with the public and working as a team. Assisting the sales staff and aiding the Sales Manager. This job started out part time in customer service and elevated to the opening and support of Out Post offices throughout SW Ontario to Administrative Assistant to the Sales Manager and general overseeing of all office duties and smooth running of all office procedures.

My co-workers were dedicated and hard working and made it enjoyable to be on the same team. The hardest part of the job was saying good bye when they closed their doors for good.
Pros
Being part of the well oiled machine that turned out the magazines each week.
Cons
Seeing the evolution of paperless industry cause job losses.
Productive and a fast pace environment
Digital Solutions & Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, Ontario8 May 2012
•Responsible for identification, acquisition and growth of new account opportunities within assigned territory
•Established and identified new revenue opportunities within current client portfolio
•Bi-weekly consultative meetings with clients to review current business strategies and provided solutions
•Maintained pro-active dialogue with internal divisions in order to fulfill service commitments to clientele
•100% commission based
•Overseeing and managing day-to-day operations of approximately 35 Field Operatives across Ontario
•Responsible for interviewing, hiring and terminating employees
•Responsible for logistics planning
•Organize weekly “ride-a-longs” with field operatives to ensure high level of service, problem-solving regarding client complaints
•Conduct annual reviews
What I learned
Post Moderator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 May 2015
I learned that this type of environment is a great place to learn the business world. Always growing opportunities. Managements always ensure the staff was having fun but working to strive for success within the company,
Zero work life balance small company unprofessional culture
Curent employee, Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke23 October 2012
I am only reviewing this so that others understand that this company has no work life balance at all. I work 50/hr a week with no over time or time in lieu.

I work there and do not recommend this company to anyone.
Cons
work life balance is absent
Fast-paced and collaborative organization
National Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 March 2014
- fast-paced organization that continually improves on its advertising effectiveness for its clients
- a collaborative team environment where everybody works together to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- highly effective management team that continually improves and develops their respective teams
Pro-active with co-workers, reinburstment on school, gym facilities
A/R Billing Administrator Clerk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 August 2012
. Check emails, and inbox on tasks for the day
. Bill run sheets or contracts from Sales Reps and balance.
. Call Customers on Account Inquires.
. Dealing with difficult Customers, and resolving their issues.
. When you do not balance month end finding what you missed.
. Balancing month end. Customers that call with satisfaction on their accounts, as well always getting the work completed.
Pros
birthday lunches paid by the company.
Cons
sometime overtime