autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews

a productive and fun environment to work in
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 August 2017
always busy taking care of the director of finance's day-to-day
learned to enjoy my duties to the fullest without taking away any seriousness of the job
always eager and available to assist all the department managers
colleagues were all people persons and got along great
the hardest part of the job would have been having to deny my boss's time when she was just too busy
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction on my boss's face when I executed a given task which in turn made me feel great and accomplished
Coe
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2017
I worked at Trader in the COE team. Really enjoyed working there the first few years but things sort of got stressful later on as new management took over - who were infact under pressure from their higher ups to show excellent call stats which unfortunately meant stess for the team. Also the teams were later broken into VIP and level 1 team and 90% of the calls were taken by L1 team which sort of was a pain.

Job security is great if you believe you are doing your work and your work is required by Trader. I do believe half of their workforce is redundant or perhaps not evenly distributed to where the company really requires.

Most of the jobs at Trader are company specific so you need to develop your skills if you plan on career progression in another company. There is favoritism like other companies with promotions.

Career progression is great within the company but cross department movement is difficult.

Overall a nice company to work for, nice team culture and I would recommend
Pretty Good Overall
Dealer services representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 May 2017
I enjoyed working with this company, on a full time basis, the people you work with are great! A typical day at work would include driving to various car dealerships and talking with managers, setting up a location for the photo shoot, and taking pictures, writing down key components of a vehicle. I learned a great deal about customer service and putting their needs first. Management here was always good to me, though being a union made it very difficult to keep the position when times got tough.
Pros
Route work was fairly easy, drive all kinds of vehicles around.
Cons
Union job, working here you start at the bottom no matter how good you are.
Great job, great company
Advertising Consultant/SEO Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 October 2016
Trader Corporation was a great company to work for. They treated me well and I have nothing but good things to say about Trader. The training on SEO/SEM for building websites and increasing customer ROI through implementing proper keywords on google is something that I can help future clients with.
Pros
Great Managerial Support
Cons
Toronto Traffic
Decent place to work but a ton of pressure
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 July 2016
Overall a decent place to work. The pay is good and the people are really nice. However, there are alot of politics in the company and everyone always seems to be miserable or complaining about their jobs and nothing ever gets fixed. They are very money hungry and their clients needs aren't a priority. I did enjoy my time there and met some great people and as well learned a lot to advance in my career
Pros
Well paying
Cons
Customer service and processes
no long vision
Category Consultant - Online Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
AutoTrader is a very fun casual work place but the management only hire people to implement short term projects. The direction changes all the time they have this concept of moving cheese to refer to that internally. Employee turn around is very high people just come in for the quick experience and nice salary to move on in future.
nice start up
coe (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2015
able to connect and network with vaious automitive parties
enhanced my digital marketing skills
co workers are great
management can be better from a support standpoint
Pros
corporate events
Cons
poor manangement
Products
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2015
Proven successful to be the number one online media solution for all your automotive advertising needs
Fun work place with supportive management
Always one step ahead of the competition
Not a great place to work
Online Merchandising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2015
Typically I made dozens of calls each day, but I was told when I was hired that I'd be visiting clients, but the role changed to a home-based call/webinar driven role rather than face-to-face meetings

Management doesn't communicate expectations and when communication occurs it's not consistent. It was unclear what was viewed as success and I was often asked to proceed in a manner that created tension with different departments.

Co-workers were really amazing. Too bad they are remotely located though, since we all got along really well.

Hardest part of the job was the constant change in my role. I was told it would be a more technical product consultation role with lots of opportunity to meet dealers and build relationships, but in the end I was expected to make 30+ plus virtual calls a day, booking virtual visits/webinars and selling, rather than sales support.

My rare opportunities out of the office. Any chance I had to get out of the office and visit clients was enjoyable. This is a tough industry and this company has lots of dealers that don't like Trader, but I found I got along with the Franchise dealers quite well and enjoyed building those relationships when I was given the opportunity to meet face-to-face.
Pros
benefits from day one, great teammates
Cons
poor management, always working alone
The best website offering for Automobiles
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2015
*Assisted customer sell their vehicles
*Design & suggest advertiisement to customers.
* Leraned the auto industry
*Hardest part : Reaching weekly deadlines for magazine & web
* Get to assist customer's
Pros
Auto industry knowledge
Cons
limited growth opportunity
What I learned
Post Moderator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 May 2015
I learned that this type of environment is a great place to learn the business world. Always growing opportunities. Managements always ensure the staff was having fun but working to strive for success within the company,
Micro Management
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby6 May 2015
The main problem with this company for at least the sales department is the level of micro management that is present. Regional Managers and Sales Director know what they are doing and give the impression that they care about their staff. Unfortunately that cannot be said for upper management. The impression that is given is that upper management does not trust their regional managers or sales staff. The lack of empathy from upper management is very troubling and does not provide for a fun work environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Micro Management
Dysfunctional Company
NPV Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville31 March 2015
All departments work in silo - nightmare for a salesperson
Way too much administrative work
Good manager
Great pay
Great clients and sales division
Awesome incentive trips
Many opportunities to grow with the Company and enhance my career
Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 March 2015
I've been with Trader for 6 years and have seen the company shift from print to digital and watched it grow and evolve over those years.

Pros
-Ability to work with many fun and talented individuals
-Managers and Execs are very approachable-Opportunities are there for individuals who step up to the challenge
-Able to work with various business teams to develop new and enhance existing skills through projects and special tasks
-All employees have a yearly allowance for training to enhance skills and knowledge via courses and certifications
-There's internal growth and promotions; Employees growing and moving up through roles across many different teams to take on greater challenges
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You're never board looking for ways to keep busy!

Cons
-Trader has a strong sales culture and is very performance driven; This can be challenging for non-sales roles.
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You can easily find yourself biting off more than you can chew.
Pros
Trader is full of many fun, talented
Cons
Strong sales culture and very performance driven; this can be challenging for non-sales roles.
Full of Fun Environment
Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  405 West Mall, Etobicoke On20 February 2015
A typical day at work starts with acquiring Brand new customers, I learned lots of communication skills, very persistent behavior, Management is cool, Co-workers are good to work with, Bring consistent sales every week, Work Independently.
Pros
Freedom of hours.
Fun place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke3 October 2014
A typical day involves a quick chat with coworkers then a deep dive into work. The work environment is collaborative and team based where great ideas are shared and put into action.

In my short tenure (just under 1 year), I was able to gain substantial experience in my field which I am able to use to add value. My coworkers are some of the most brilliant individuals that I have the pleasure of working with, and I consistently learn from them as the days go by.

My immediate managers are supportive in my attainment of higher education and promote goal congruency. They are also very flexible when time off is required. They also promote growth as a team through various team building initiatives.

The most challenging part of my job is not getting the full picture of a task at times, and there are sometimes difficulty in putting the pieces together. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is the experience and knowledge that are being attained, and the very close knitted group of people that surrounds me. In addition, morale is high and the firm rewards employees for outstanding work.
Pros
Rewards for hard work; goal congruency, team building initiatives
Cons
Not much opportunities to move up
Fun, inclusive, driven and energetic company moving forward.
Editor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2014
I've been with Trader since June 2013. The company is clearly going through a growth period, and it's exciting. I really enjoy my job and my work day.
It is a large corporation, but has a similar atmosphere and climate to some small non-profits I've been apart of. My manager is engaged and responsive, my work-life balance is good, and my sacrifices outside of hours are recognized. Best of all, I'm given regular recognition. I work in the Toronto office, which has good access to games rooms, etc.
My only gripe: No microwave on my floor (I have to go to the lunch room - boo!)
Pros
Fun atmosphere, growing company
Cons
Some silofication of departments.
Amazing workplace to build on all Call Centre skills required to be successful.
Inside Sales Account Manager/Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke Ontario25 June 2014
The usual day is getting your quotas by the end of the day. Usually have weekly targets. Many programs will be used to enter data information on client, sales etc. The training from management is thorough and very helpful. Co-workers are always helpful. The hardest part of the job would be cold calling. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being in the environment where you could grow on a professional career level.
Fun place to work and great people to work with
District Manager - Alberta North (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2014
Most stressful part was on print days. If presses were late - everything got delayed. Those times, we had to scramble to fulfill our deadlines. Weather also played a huge factor. However, the team was well organized and very supportive. Always pulled through.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Print discontinuation
Auto Trader Magazine was a great place to work. Fast paced, tight deadlines!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, On7 May 2014
Every day was different. New challenges and constant trouble shooting. Dealing with the public and working as a team. Assisting the sales staff and aiding the Sales Manager. This job started out part time in customer service and elevated to the opening and support of Out Post offices throughout SW Ontario to Administrative Assistant to the Sales Manager and general overseeing of all office duties and smooth running of all office procedures.

My co-workers were dedicated and hard working and made it enjoyable to be on the same team. The hardest part of the job was saying good bye when they closed their doors for good.
Pros
Being part of the well oiled machine that turned out the magazines each week.
Cons
Seeing the evolution of paperless industry cause job losses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at autoTRADER.ca. Our community is ready to answer.