autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews in Canada

no long vision
Category Consultant - Online Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
AutoTrader is a very fun casual work place but the management only hire people to implement short term projects. The direction changes all the time they have this concept of moving cheese to refer to that internally. Employee turn around is very high people just come in for the quick experience and nice salary to move on in future.
nice start up
coe (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
able to connect and network with vaious automitive parties
enhanced my digital marketing skills
co workers are great
management can be better from a support standpoint
Pros
corporate events
Cons
poor manangement
Products
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 11, 2015
Proven successful to be the number one online media solution for all your automotive advertising needs
Fun work place with supportive management
Always one step ahead of the competition
Not a great place to work
Online Merchandising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 7, 2015
Typically I made dozens of calls each day, but I was told when I was hired that I'd be visiting clients, but the role changed to a home-based call/webinar driven role rather than face-to-face meetings

Management doesn't communicate expectations and when communication occurs it's not consistent. It was unclear what was viewed as success and I was often asked to proceed in a manner that created tension with different departments.

Co-workers were really amazing. Too bad they are remotely located though, since we all got along really well.

Hardest part of the job was the constant change in my role. I was told it would be a more technical product consultation role with lots of opportunity to meet dealers and build relationships, but in the end I was expected to make 30+ plus virtual calls a day, booking virtual visits/webinars and selling, rather than sales support.

My rare opportunities out of the office. Any chance I had to get out of the office and visit clients was enjoyable. This is a tough industry and this company has lots of dealers that don't like Trader, but I found I got along with the Franchise dealers quite well and enjoyed building those relationships when I was given the opportunity to meet face-to-face.
Pros
benefits from day one, great teammates
Cons
poor management, always working alone
The best website offering for Automobiles
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2015
*Assisted customer sell their vehicles
*Design & suggest advertiisement to customers.
* Leraned the auto industry
*Hardest part : Reaching weekly deadlines for magazine & web
* Get to assist customer's
Pros
Auto industry knowledge
Cons
limited growth opportunity
What I learned
Post Moderator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 14, 2015
I learned that this type of environment is a great place to learn the business world. Always growing opportunities. Managements always ensure the staff was having fun but working to strive for success within the company,
Micro Management
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  BurnabyMay 6, 2015
The main problem with this company for at least the sales department is the level of micro management that is present. Regional Managers and Sales Director know what they are doing and give the impression that they care about their staff. Unfortunately that cannot be said for upper management. The impression that is given is that upper management does not trust their regional managers or sales staff. The lack of empathy from upper management is very troubling and does not provide for a fun work environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Micro Management
Dysfunctional Company
NPV Account Manager (Current Employee) –  OakvilleMarch 31, 2015
All departments work in silo - nightmare for a salesperson
Way too much administrative work
Good manager
Great pay
Great clients and sales division
Awesome incentive trips
Many opportunities to grow with the Company and enhance my career
Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 12, 2015
I've been with Trader for 6 years and have seen the company shift from print to digital and watched it grow and evolve over those years.

Pros
-Ability to work with many fun and talented individuals
-Managers and Execs are very approachable-Opportunities are there for individuals who step up to the challenge
-Able to work with various business teams to develop new and enhance existing skills through projects and special tasks
-All employees have a yearly allowance for training to enhance skills and knowledge via courses and certifications
-There's internal growth and promotions; Employees growing and moving up through roles across many different teams to take on greater challenges
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You're never board looking for ways to keep busy!

Cons
-Trader has a strong sales culture and is very performance driven; This can be challenging for non-sales roles.
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You can easily find yourself biting off more than you can chew.
Pros
Trader is full of many fun, talented
Cons
Strong sales culture and very performance driven; this can be challenging for non-sales roles.
Full of Fun Environment
Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  405 West Mall, Etobicoke OnFebruary 20, 2015
A typical day at work starts with acquiring Brand new customers, I learned lots of communication skills, very persistent behavior, Management is cool, Co-workers are good to work with, Bring consistent sales every week, Work Independently.
Pros
Freedom of hours.
Fun place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  EtobicokeOctober 3, 2014
A typical day involves a quick chat with coworkers then a deep dive into work. The work environment is collaborative and team based where great ideas are shared and put into action.

In my short tenure (just under 1 year), I was able to gain substantial experience in my field which I am able to use to add value. My coworkers are some of the most brilliant individuals that I have the pleasure of working with, and I consistently learn from them as the days go by.

My immediate managers are supportive in my attainment of higher education and promote goal congruency. They are also very flexible when time off is required. They also promote growth as a team through various team building initiatives.

The most challenging part of my job is not getting the full picture of a task at times, and there are sometimes difficulty in putting the pieces together. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is the experience and knowledge that are being attained, and the very close knitted group of people that surrounds me. In addition, morale is high and the firm rewards employees for outstanding work.
Pros
Rewards for hard work; goal congruency, team building initiatives
Cons
Not much opportunities to move up
Fun, inclusive, driven and energetic company moving forward.
Editor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2014
I've been with Trader since June 2013. The company is clearly going through a growth period, and it's exciting. I really enjoy my job and my work day.
It is a large corporation, but has a similar atmosphere and climate to some small non-profits I've been apart of. My manager is engaged and responsive, my work-life balance is good, and my sacrifices outside of hours are recognized. Best of all, I'm given regular recognition. I work in the Toronto office, which has good access to games rooms, etc.
My only gripe: No microwave on my floor (I have to go to the lunch room - boo!)
Pros
Fun atmosphere, growing company
Cons
Some silofication of departments.
Amazing workplace to build on all Call Centre skills required to be successful.
Inside Sales Account Manager/Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke OntarioJune 25, 2014
The usual day is getting your quotas by the end of the day. Usually have weekly targets. Many programs will be used to enter data information on client, sales etc. The training from management is thorough and very helpful. Co-workers are always helpful. The hardest part of the job would be cold calling. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being in the environment where you could grow on a professional career level.
Fun place to work and great people to work with
District Manager - Alberta North (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 20, 2014
Most stressful part was on print days. If presses were late - everything got delayed. Those times, we had to scramble to fulfill our deadlines. Weather also played a huge factor. However, the team was well organized and very supportive. Always pulled through.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Print discontinuation
Auto Trader Magazine was a great place to work. Fast paced, tight deadlines!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, OnMay 7, 2014
Every day was different. New challenges and constant trouble shooting. Dealing with the public and working as a team. Assisting the sales staff and aiding the Sales Manager. This job started out part time in customer service and elevated to the opening and support of Out Post offices throughout SW Ontario to Administrative Assistant to the Sales Manager and general overseeing of all office duties and smooth running of all office procedures.

My co-workers were dedicated and hard working and made it enjoyable to be on the same team. The hardest part of the job was saying good bye when they closed their doors for good.
Pros
Being part of the well oiled machine that turned out the magazines each week.
Cons
Seeing the evolution of paperless industry cause job losses.
Fast-paced and collaborative organization
National Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 3, 2014
- fast-paced organization that continually improves on its advertising effectiveness for its clients
- a collaborative team environment where everybody works together to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- highly effective management team that continually improves and develops their respective teams
Productive, friendly and enjoys working with people
Graphic Designer/Page Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 30, 2013
• Created eye catching, detailed display advertising
• Quality InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator design
• Proven Sales and Client satisfaction
• Excelled quality, productivity to meet deadline targets
• Performance in a fast paced, team oriented environment
• Adaptive to new technologies and challenges
• Flexible and experienced with all shiftwork
Great evolution while entering into the online media
Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2013
I started with the company in 2012 and have seen the company evolve since. It offers great leadership opportunities, work life balance.
Free fitness centre, free parking and lots of good things. They have just introduced a lounge, ping pong table, lots of plants.

The support that is provided by the executives is amazing. Their is pressure on deadline and ad hoc projects; This would be in any growing organization.

I love working at TRADER.
Pros
great team, lots of support
Cons
wish it was located in downtown
Ok Company, Not so great boss.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONOctober 29, 2012
Position was overall good. You have the usual deadlines and stress to meet those deadlines. My only issue was my boss. I disliked the meetings because all it was about was everyone kissing her butt and if you didn't kiss her butt you were on your way out. Very two faced. I don't know how they hire management and I don't know how she's still there. Very unprofessional.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
managers, like everywhere else you work your butt off and your only a number.
REVIEW
Corporate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2012
GOOD FOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO GAIN EXPERIENCE IN IT SALES, OR INSIDE SALES IN GENERAL
Pros
good employee discounts
Cons
pay, hours of operation