Austin Powder

Austin Powder Employee Reviews

Upper management would ask employees at US Nitrogen to work in unsafe conditions and do work in a unsafe manner
Employee (Former Employee) –  Midway, TNFebruary 3, 2016
I would not recommend Us Nitrogen unless you like a job where production is put above your Safety and welfare.Benifits not very good , very expencive, overall bad culture .
Pros
Cons
not many
This Company is all about them selves Be ware
SHOT CREW Member / HAULER (Former Employee) –  WVMay 13, 2016
Lets start by saying the get you to take the job for less money than what you wanted and then they work you and work you. Hire others and pay them more money They seem to hire hot heads then after you been there just shy of your 2 years they fire you and take your 401 so beware of them They write you up for going over your hours They Blame you for what others have done They treat you like dirt And the reason you drive so early is to avoid the truck scales you will never be anything to this Company I gave them everything I had every days work while other got to pick and choose what truck there were taking and which Quarry they were not going to its like a daycare center with kids and the younger hires get there way If you tell the company you want to be a blaster they will keep you You will not become a blaster unless you do it on your own I when I was hired the people that was there left after 6 months days are 12-16 hours when they have work they lost some very big Quarry's they have people's net on the trucks so you are always speeding so the say
Pros
a job
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, no Raises, no Respect
My experience with these 2 companies was very educational. They taught me a lot about life and life lessons.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, WVJuly 16, 2015
I would come in around 6 am, and call my boss and find out where to haul at for that day, once I figured out where I was going I would get my paperwork ready, then go out and do a through pre-trip inspection and then get loaded, then head off to the customer. Once on the job I would get set up and begin to unload my trailer, then get the mine supervisor to sign my paperwork stating that I made the delivery.
Pros
Great Tractors and Trailers
Cons
can't think of one.
A lot of work.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, CTNovember 11, 2015
Good people, very interesting learning about the explosives and how to work a shot. Good hours for a decent pay. Happy to have worked there.
Pros
Good environment.
Cons
Not much growth in the company.
Very Productive
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Beechwood, OHJuly 22, 2015
Fast passed, very organized environment. I worked with the company as a Temp Migrating and deploying laptops to the field agents that the company had assigned over the U.S. The staff was great my manager was the best I have ever had and would love to work for him again.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
drive home
Company was very interesting
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, PASeptember 11, 2015
Austin Powder provided education on the products we supplied customers with. The office was very casual. Billing was my main function and it was interesting because every situation was different.
YOU ARE WORKING WITH Explosives
DRIVER/ laborer (Former Employee) –  wvMay 28, 2015
Stay away job sucks pay is way below what it should be You have to Have A CDL B license with Hazmats to do this job . Workers will watch you work your butt off and get away with it need new supervisor that can actually drive the trucks to know what your talking about This is a dead end job early mornings before 5am and sometimes you run out of hours then you get written up for your boss fault stable income not sure it worth the time
Pros
nothing good to say
Cons
no lunch, no breaks, driving long hours, rain, cold, heat, snow, and NO RAISES
Amazing job!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMay 2, 2015
I really loved this job. It was extremely hard work, but gratifying at the result. The people I worked with were down to earth and humble. Honest days work for honest days pay. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Hard work Fun!
Cons
Long days sometimes
Quantity over Quality and Safety...
Lead Blast Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mt. Hope, WVMarch 23, 2014
Get up at 4 am give them all you got. Turn your head and break the law when hey buh and you uns ask you to. Then when you stand up for yourself you get relocated 2 hours from your house. Some good management not many you'll know the click when or if you go to work there. Newer employs usually make same or more than veteran employs. Depending on who you know not what you know if you move up.
Pros
money as a blaster
Cons
don't mind to break law, drive non dot truck on highway, haul wet bags in back of pick up on highways, etc..
Not a bad job for a basic pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAFebruary 9, 2014
Basically It's just another job with regular pay. You would think that the pay would be set higher for all of your qualifications needed to handle and transport explosives, but not! I was employed their for 5 years and have no complaints. But, went I started employment in Newnan, Ga. I was working 50 to 60 hours a week along with 12 or thirteen other workers. When I left their, I think their was only 3 workers left barely getting 40 hours a week.
The cost of gravel climbed and not enough building going on so that is the reasons for lack of man hours needed.
Cons
normal benefits
long hours and extreme whether coniditions
Powder Crew and Driller (Current Employee) –  Martin, KYAugust 1, 2013
Start work at 6a.m. load powder up with material. Go to magazines to pick up product to take to a production shot. Go to shot, watch for other traffic such pickups, 10 wheelers, and other heavy equipment. Work closely with blasters and drillers to get on shot and load production holes. Wire shot, evacuate area so blaster can detonate shot. Help blaster inspect shot and clear so production can resume. Best part of the job is working with my coworkers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours and hazaourd conitidition
A great place to work with good Management and field employees.
SafetyManagement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 4, 2012
Each week I would leave (usually) on Monday and had a day to travel to our 60 locations around the country. I would then complete inspections and trainings to field employees on Safety and Compliance issues. Inventory of explosive items was regulated so that was also a big issue for me to check the location's inventory.
Pros
as long as i got the task at hand completed and my reports in on time i had a lot of time to myself.
Cons
traveling was basically each week which left a lot of that time to myself stuck in a hotel room.
Austin Powder Company is an explosive supply and service company
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, AR, Cleveland, Ohio (Corporate)July 14, 2013
Austin Powder Company was and it still is a challenging place to work. The safety and compliance demands a manager deal with new hires along with older employees keeping everyone working safely and productive.

I consider myself a "People Person", so managing personal was very easy.
Pros
benifits
Cons
a number of government agencies, atf, d.o.t, msha, epa that demands a great deal of time
Very relaxed atmosphere, productive, fast paced
Cash Application Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHSeptember 28, 2013
Fast paced a lot to do, I learned a lot about construction sites that use explosives, Management spoke and appreciated their employees, all the co workers got along and helped each other, The hardest part of the job was being laid off, the most enjoyable part was crunching numbers and helping the clients with their purchases.
Pros
free lunch, bounses. incentives
Cons
healthcare
Was good place to work. Very sorry I lost this job.
Driver,Laborer (Former Employee) –  Reeds Spring, MOJuly 1, 2012
Getting to work about 3:00 AM. When the job is done, you go home. The pay was very good. And the benefits were very good. Management tended to play favorites with the friends that he hired. Best part of the job was, going to work early, and getting off early most of the time.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
favortism
Poor accountability of specialized personnel such as, Engineers, Managers, and Safety.employees.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  McArthur, OHJune 26, 2015
Working for Austin as an Engineer has been a very difficult experience. Austin Powder, does not see the benefits of any type program that would increase efficiency or cut waste. They continue to run their manufacturing business in way that is current with the 1950s. As Austin continues to move toward a more volatile coal and mining industry, their inability to make strides to update facilities and the constant overspending on new ones will inevitably be their downfall.

My suggestion is to avoid working for Austin Powder as they do not pay any salary personnel at market value, offer no raises (unless the "business is doing well", and in that case could be 1 year or 5 years before you see a raise), and bonuses have no incentive to increase production and profits.

Austin Powder does allow plenty of time to work at your own pace and spend time with family. As there is no accountability or incentive to do better.
Pros
Lots of time to work at your own pace and good work / life balance
Cons
No incentives for growth, no clear direction on advancement within the company, and pay for specialized personnel is well below market value.
Managenent will lie to and on you!
Driver/ underground blaster helper (Former Employee) –  Masontown, WVDecember 17, 2012
Ok overall job, just dont trust the managment.. especially the one that says "you I will never lie to you". Speak a big game on safety... not true!
Pros
home daily
Cons
lack of work, cant trust management, have you do things aginst company policy and dot abd atf regulations.
Poor Management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Summit, ALMarch 31, 2015
Not a very good company to work for. Can be real hard work at times, without any breaks. 14 to 16 hours days are common.Management is poor at best
Currently Employed with Austin Powder
Blasting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooks Run/ Webster County WVMarch 21, 2012
I am currently employed with Austin Powder and have no complaints at this time.
Pros
friendly, good atmosphere, like working for austin powder
Cons
long drive, and health insurance a little pricey.
Well established company.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dunlap, TNFebruary 6, 2013
Dealt with everyday day business in retail sales and service in the explosive industry. Good company to work for.
Pros
good wages and benefits
Cons
long hours and tough conditions at times.

2.9