Austin Powder

Austin Powder Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Quantity over Quality and Safety...
Lead Blast Foreman (Former Employee), Mt. Hope, WVMarch 23, 2014
Pros: money as a blaster
Cons: don't mind to break law, drive non dot truck on highway, haul wet bags in back of pick up on highways, etc..
Get up at 4 am give them all you got. Turn your head and break the law when hey buh and you uns ask you to. Then when you stand up for yourself you get relocated 2 hours from your house. Some good management not many you'll know the click when or if you go to work there. Newer employs usually make same or more than veteran employs. Depending on who – more... you know not what you know if you move up. – less
Valuable experience in the explosive industry
Lead Blaster (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 18, 2014
Good managers enabled duties to be performed smoothly and in a timely manner.
Poor culture
HR Coordinator (Former Employee), Beachwood, OHFebruary 15, 2014
People are not friendly or helpful and their systems are old and out-dated which makes it very difficult to do your job.
Not a bad job for a basic pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Newnan, GAFebruary 9, 2014
Cons: normal benefits
Basically It's just another job with regular pay. You would think that the pay would be set higher for all of your qualifications needed to handle and transport explosives, but not! I was employed their for 5 years and have no complaints. But, went I started employment in Newnan, Ga. I was working 50 to 60 hours a week along with 12 or thirteen other – more... workers. When I left their, I think their was only 3 workers left barely getting 40 hours a week.
The cost of gravel climbed and not enough building going on so that is the reasons for lack of man hours needed. – less
pays decent but no security
Mix Plant Associate (Former Employee), McArthur, OHOctober 18, 2013
never knowing if your going to work 10 hours or two. I don't really like the chemicals I work with. MSDS folders were a mess and the machinery was poorly taken care of.
Very relaxed atmosphere, productive, fast paced
Cash Application Clerk (Former Employee), Beachwood, OHSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: free lunch, bounses. incentives
Cons: healthcare
Fast paced a lot to do, I learned a lot about construction sites that use explosives, Management spoke and appreciated their employees, all the co workers got along and helped each other, The hardest part of the job was being laid off, the most enjoyable part was crunching numbers and helping the clients with their purchases.
A DOT, ATF, or MSHA disaster looking for a place to happen.
Location Manager (Former Employee), TulsaAugust 30, 2013
Pros: there is an opportunity to learn a skill - blasting/quarrying.
Cons: a disrespectful, negative, and bullying mentality and attitude.
Austin Powder is a good company overall but the location in Tulsa has some serious problems, the main one being an emphasis on profit over a prudent, long term situation. The trucks and equipment are sorely neglected and not even close to being DOT worthy. The daily pace and workload almost always involve 12-16 hour days in the field with no priority – more... on vehicle upkeep except when unavoidable and then it's a "patch'em up and get'em back on the road" mentality. There is no opportunity for management at the local level and middle/upper management is ineffective and, for all practical purposes, non-existent. Employees are regularly asked to drive vehicle combinations for which they are not licensed and laws which pertain to transporting explosives are not heeded or even noticed. Worst of all, is an atmosphere of arrogance, disrespect, and, occasionally, verbal abuse, however, the main offenders are essentially bulletproof and immune to disciplinary action. Consequently, there is a turnover rate of nearly 70% though it may now be higher. If I considered my CDL and driving record important, it's the last place I'd want to work. Most people agree - of the three people hired over the five months I spent there, two are gone in addition to the part time clerk/data entry person. The location is even more woefully understaffed than when I hired on, not so much because of the workload, but mostly due to the bullying tendencies of a couple of untouchables. – less
long hours and extreme whether coniditions
Powder Crew and Driller (Current Employee), Martin, KYAugust 1, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: long hours and hazaourd conitidition
Start work at 6a.m. load powder up with material. Go to magazines to pick up product to take to a production shot. Go to shot, watch for other traffic such pickups, 10 wheelers, and other heavy equipment. Work closely with blasters and drillers to get on shot and load production holes. Wire shot, evacuate area so blaster can detonate shot. Help blaster – more... inspect shot and clear so production can resume. Best part of the job is working with my coworkers. – less
Austin Powder Company is an explosive supply and service company
Location Manager (Former Employee), Midland, AR, Cleveland, Ohio (Corporate)July 14, 2013
Pros: benifits
Cons: a number of government agencies, atf, d.o.t, msha, epa that demands a great deal of time
Austin Powder Company was and it still is a challenging place to work. The safety and compliance demands a manager deal with new hires along with older employees keeping everyone working safely and productive.

I consider myself a "People Person", so managing personal was very easy.
Well established company.
Manager (Former Employee), Dunlap, TNFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: good wages and benefits
Cons: long hours and tough conditions at times.
Dealt with everyday day business in retail sales and service in the explosive industry. Good company to work for.
Managenent will lie to and on you!
Driver/ underground blaster helper (Former Employee), Masontown, WVDecember 17, 2012
Pros: home daily
Cons: lack of work, cant trust management, have you do things aginst company policy and dot abd atf regulations.
Ok overall job, just dont trust the managment.. especially the one that says "you I will never lie to you". Speak a big game on safety... not true!
A great place to work with good Management and field employees.
SafetyManagement Inspector (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 4, 2012
Pros: as long as i got the task at hand completed and my reports in on time i had a lot of time to myself.
Cons: traveling was basically each week which left a lot of that time to myself stuck in a hotel room.
Each week I would leave (usually) on Monday and had a day to travel to our 60 locations around the country. I would then complete inspections and trainings to field employees on Safety and Compliance issues. Inventory of explosive items was regulated so that was also a big issue for me to check the location's inventory.
Ok place to work
employee (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 10, 2012
A stable place to work but little room for personal growth. The business is very competitive and volatile which can change at any time.
Good steady work
Laborer Driver (Former Employee), Reeds Spring, MOJuly 4, 2012
Pros: good pay, good benefits
Cons: very early starts, weren't bad.
First two years were great, the the manager started hiring his friends and it went down hill from there.
Was good place to work. Very sorry I lost this job.
Driver,Laborer (Former Employee), Reeds Spring, MOJuly 1, 2012
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: favortism
Getting to work about 3:00 AM. When the job is done, you go home. The pay was very good. And the benefits were very good. Management tended to play favorites with the friends that he hired. Best part of the job was, going to work early, and getting off early most of the time.
Job was good with low moral
Senior Blaster (Former Employee), Farmington, MOApril 14, 2012
Hard work with little reward. Management was known to show up only for diciplinary action not reward.
Currently Employed with Austin Powder
Blasting Coordinator (Current Employee), Brooks Run/ Webster County WVMarch 21, 2012
Pros: friendly, good atmosphere, like working for austin powder
Cons: long drive, and health insurance a little pricey.
I am currently employed with Austin Powder and have no complaints at this time.

About Austin Powder

In 1833, America was emerging as a vibrant, growing country with virtually boundless energy and a manifest destiny. The Erie Canal, – Read more

Austin Powder Photos