Austin Powder Employee Reviews

Good company to work for
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, WV13 April 2017
Austin powder is a good company to work for with many benefits, Holiday pay and paid sick days and management is easy to work for. They are understanding in case of needing days off,
Pros
overtime
Cons
pay rate
Something needs to change
Driver (Current Employee) –  McArthur, OH9 April 2017
As a driver your just a truck number leave Sunday get back Friday night late 10 or 11pm sometimes Saturday but most of the time the dispatcher will give you a trip Thursday that will get you back by 11pm Friday so they can send you back out Sunday they play favorites a lot. It's really nice getting back to the plant 8am Friday thinking your going home but they hand you another trip so you get to spend all your Friday driving a hazmat vehicle while your angry about not being able to go home.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No time at home. Treated poorly. Bad pay for what your hauling
Dependable company
Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  McArthur, OH15 February 2017
They are a great company to work for but the time away from home is a negative. They have up to date equipment and it is well maintained. They also keep their drivers well compensated for their down time.
High paying driving job
Driver (Current Employee) –  McArthur, OH28 January 2017
AS a driver your typical work day starts on Sunday and ends on Friday. Management is never on the same page and rarely knows what the other is doing.
Pros
see the country
Cons
No home time
Good work place for single people
Laborer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NC20 December 2016
Austin powder is alot of early mornings and late afternoons. Alot of changes after you've already gone home for the day. For someone looking for a job with good overtime Austin Powder might be for you. But for someone with a young family it wasn't for me.
Great company to work for.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Martin, KY15 September 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me going to the the job and working on trucks and drills. The management overall was great, co-workers was very easy to get along with. The hardest part about the job was probably going from day to night throughout the week, and the most enjoyable part about the job was staying busy.
Good company to work for.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH8 June 2016
Worked with the company for 15 years. Didn't have any problems with any of my co-workers. Management was very helpful with job placement and meeting any needs of their employees. Was able to learn many things about the use of explosives, drilling patterns and operating different types of drills. Glad I got to work for the company.
This Company is all about them selves Be ware
SHOT CREW Member / HAULER (Former Employee) –  WV13 May 2016
Lets start by saying the get you to take the job for less money than what you wanted and then they work you and work you. Hire others and pay them more money They seem to hire hot heads then after you been there just shy of your 2 years they fire you and take your 401 so beware of them They write you up for going over your hours They Blame you for what others have done They treat you like dirt And the reason you drive so early is to avoid the truck scales you will never be anything to this Company I gave them everything I had every days work while other got to pick and choose what truck there were taking and which Quarry they were not going to its like a daycare center with kids and the younger hires get there way If you tell the company you want to be a blaster they will keep you You will not become a blaster unless you do it on your own I when I was hired the people that was there left after 6 months days are 12-16 hours when they have work they lost some very big Quarry's they have people's net on the trucks so you are always speeding so the say
Pros
a job
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, no Raises, no Respect
Upper management would ask employees at US Nitrogen to work in unsafe conditions and do work in a unsafe manner
Employee (Former Employee) –  Midway, TN3 February 2016
I would not recommend Us Nitrogen unless you like a job where production is put above your Safety and welfare.Benifits not very good , very expencive, overall bad culture .
Pros
Cons
not many
A lot of work.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, CT11 November 2015
Good people, very interesting learning about the explosives and how to work a shot. Good hours for a decent pay. Happy to have worked there.
Pros
Good environment.
Cons
Not much growth in the company.
Company was very interesting
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, PA11 September 2015
Austin Powder provided education on the products we supplied customers with. The office was very casual. Billing was my main function and it was interesting because every situation was different.
Very Productive
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Beechwood, OH22 July 2015
Fast passed, very organized environment. I worked with the company as a Temp Migrating and deploying laptops to the field agents that the company had assigned over the U.S. The staff was great my manager was the best I have ever had and would love to work for him again.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
drive home
My experience with these 2 companies was very educational. They taught me a lot about life and life lessons.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, WV16 July 2015
I would come in around 6 am, and call my boss and find out where to haul at for that day, once I figured out where I was going I would get my paperwork ready, then go out and do a through pre-trip inspection and then get loaded, then head off to the customer. Once on the job I would get set up and begin to unload my trailer, then get the mine supervisor to sign my paperwork stating that I made the delivery.
Pros
Great Tractors and Trailers
Cons
can't think of one.
Poor accountability of specialized personnel such as, Engineers, Managers, and Safety.employees.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  McArthur, OH26 June 2015
Working for Austin as an Engineer has been a very difficult experience. Austin Powder, does not see the benefits of any type program that would increase efficiency or cut waste. They continue to run their manufacturing business in way that is current with the 1950s. As Austin continues to move toward a more volatile coal and mining industry, their inability to make strides to update facilities and the constant overspending on new ones will inevitably be their downfall.

My suggestion is to avoid working for Austin Powder as they do not pay any salary personnel at market value, offer no raises (unless the "business is doing well", and in that case could be 1 year or 5 years before you see a raise), and bonuses have no incentive to increase production and profits.

Austin Powder does allow plenty of time to work at your own pace and spend time with family. As there is no accountability or incentive to do better.
Pros
Lots of time to work at your own pace and good work / life balance
Cons
No incentives for growth, no clear direction on advancement within the company, and pay for specialized personnel is well below market value.
YOU ARE WORKING WITH Explosives
DRIVER/ laborer (Former Employee) –  wv28 May 2015
Stay away job sucks pay is way below what it should be You have to Have A CDL B license with Hazmats to do this job . Workers will watch you work your butt off and get away with it need new supervisor that can actually drive the trucks to know what your talking about This is a dead end job early mornings before 5am and sometimes you run out of hours then you get written up for your boss fault stable income not sure it worth the time
Pros
nothing good to say
Cons
no lunch, no breaks, driving long hours, rain, cold, heat, snow, and NO RAISES
Amazing job!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, IN2 May 2015
I really loved this job. It was extremely hard work, but gratifying at the result. The people I worked with were down to earth and humble. Honest days work for honest days pay. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Hard work Fun!
Cons
Long days sometimes
Poor Management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Summit, AL31 March 2015
Not a very good company to work for. Can be real hard work at times, without any breaks. 14 to 16 hours days are common.Management is poor at best
The pay is great, but the saftey could be better
Blaster (Former Employee) –  Mt. Hope WV23 October 2014
When you go to work and wonder if you are going come home to your family because of the safety issues get ignored
Quantity over Quality and Safety...
Lead Blast Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mt. Hope, WV23 March 2014
Get up at 4 am give them all you got. Turn your head and break the law when hey buh and you uns ask you to. Then when you stand up for yourself you get relocated 2 hours from your house. Some good management not many you'll know the click when or if you go to work there. Newer employs usually make same or more than veteran employs. Depending on who you know not what you know if you move up.
Pros
Money as a Blaster
Cons
Don't mind to break law, Drive non DOT truck on highway, Haul wet bags in back of pick up on highways, etc..
Valuable experience in the explosive industry
Lead Blaster (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN18 February 2014
Good managers enabled duties to be performed smoothly and in a timely manner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Powder. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9