Austin Powder

Austin Powder Employee Reviews

Great company to work for.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Martin, KYSeptember 15, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me going to the the job and working on trucks and drills. The management overall was great, co-workers was very easy to get along with. The hardest part about the job was probably going from day to night throughout the week, and the most enjoyable part about the job was staying busy.
This Company is all about them selves Be ware
SHOT CREW Member / HAULER (Former Employee) –  WVMay 13, 2016
Lets start by saying the get you to take the job for less money than what you wanted and then they work you and work you. Hire others and pay them more money They seem to hire hot heads then after you been there just shy of your 2 years they fire you and take your 401 so beware of them They write you up for going over your hours They Blame you for what others have done They treat you like dirt And the reason you drive so early is to avoid the truck scales you will never be anything to this Company I gave them everything I had every days work while other got to pick and choose what truck there were taking and which Quarry they were not going to its like a daycare center with kids and the younger hires get there way If you tell the company you want to be a blaster they will keep you You will not become a blaster unless you do it on your own I when I was hired the people that was there left after 6 months days are 12-16 hours when they have work they lost some very big Quarry's they have people's net on the trucks so you are always speeding so the say
Pros
a job
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, no Raises, no Respect
Upper management would ask employees at US Nitrogen to work in unsafe conditions and do work in a unsafe manner
Employee (Former Employee) –  Midway, TNFebruary 3, 2016
I would not recommend Us Nitrogen unless you like a job where production is put above your Safety and welfare.Benifits not very good , very expencive, overall bad culture .
Pros
Cons
not many
A lot of work.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, CTNovember 11, 2015
Good people, very interesting learning about the explosives and how to work a shot. Good hours for a decent pay. Happy to have worked there.
Pros
Good environment.
Cons
Not much growth in the company.
Company was very interesting
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, PASeptember 11, 2015
Austin Powder provided education on the products we supplied customers with. The office was very casual. Billing was my main function and it was interesting because every situation was different.
Very Productive
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Beechwood, OHJuly 22, 2015
Fast passed, very organized environment. I worked with the company as a Temp Migrating and deploying laptops to the field agents that the company had assigned over the U.S. The staff was great my manager was the best I have ever had and would love to work for him again.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
drive home
My experience with these 2 companies was very educational. They taught me a lot about life and life lessons.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, WVJuly 16, 2015
I would come in around 6 am, and call my boss and find out where to haul at for that day, once I figured out where I was going I would get my paperwork ready, then go out and do a through pre-trip inspection and then get loaded, then head off to the customer. Once on the job I would get set up and begin to unload my trailer, then get the mine supervisor to sign my paperwork stating that I made the delivery.
Pros
Great Tractors and Trailers
Cons
can't think of one.
Poor accountability of specialized personnel such as, Engineers, Managers, and Safety.employees.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  McArthur, OHJune 26, 2015
Working for Austin as an Engineer has been a very difficult experience. Austin Powder, does not see the benefits of any type program that would increase efficiency or cut waste. They continue to run their manufacturing business in way that is current with the 1950s. As Austin continues to move toward a more volatile coal and mining industry, their inability to make strides to update facilities and the constant overspending on new ones will inevitably be their downfall.

My suggestion is to avoid working for Austin Powder as they do not pay any salary personnel at market value, offer no raises (unless the "business is doing well", and in that case could be 1 year or 5 years before you see a raise), and bonuses have no incentive to increase production and profits.

Austin Powder does allow plenty of time to work at your own pace and spend time with family. As there is no accountability or incentive to do better.
Pros
Lots of time to work at your own pace and good work / life balance
Cons
No incentives for growth, no clear direction on advancement within the company, and pay for specialized personnel is well below market value.
YOU ARE WORKING WITH Explosives
DRIVER/ laborer (Former Employee) –  wvMay 28, 2015
Stay away job sucks pay is way below what it should be You have to Have A CDL B license with Hazmats to do this job . Workers will watch you work your butt off and get away with it need new supervisor that can actually drive the trucks to know what your talking about This is a dead end job early mornings before 5am and sometimes you run out of hours then you get written up for your boss fault stable income not sure it worth the time
Pros
nothing good to say
Cons
no lunch, no breaks, driving long hours, rain, cold, heat, snow, and NO RAISES
Amazing job!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMay 2, 2015
I really loved this job. It was extremely hard work, but gratifying at the result. The people I worked with were down to earth and humble. Honest days work for honest days pay. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Hard work Fun!
Cons
Long days sometimes
Poor Management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Summit, ALMarch 31, 2015
Not a very good company to work for. Can be real hard work at times, without any breaks. 14 to 16 hours days are common.Management is poor at best
The pay is great, but the saftey could be better
Blaster (Former Employee) –  Mt. Hope WVOctober 23, 2014
When you go to work and wonder if you are going come home to your family because of the safety issues get ignored
Quantity over Quality and Safety...
Lead Blast Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mt. Hope, WVMarch 23, 2014
Get up at 4 am give them all you got. Turn your head and break the law when hey buh and you uns ask you to. Then when you stand up for yourself you get relocated 2 hours from your house. Some good management not many you'll know the click when or if you go to work there. Newer employs usually make same or more than veteran employs. Depending on who you know not what you know if you move up.
Pros
money as a blaster
Cons
don't mind to break law, drive non dot truck on highway, haul wet bags in back of pick up on highways, etc..
Valuable experience in the explosive industry
Lead Blaster (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 18, 2014
Good managers enabled duties to be performed smoothly and in a timely manner.
Poor culture
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHFebruary 15, 2014
People are not friendly or helpful and their systems are old and out-dated which makes it very difficult to do your job.
Not a bad job for a basic pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAFebruary 9, 2014
Basically It's just another job with regular pay. You would think that the pay would be set higher for all of your qualifications needed to handle and transport explosives, but not! I was employed their for 5 years and have no complaints. But, went I started employment in Newnan, Ga. I was working 50 to 60 hours a week along with 12 or thirteen other workers. When I left their, I think their was only 3 workers left barely getting 40 hours a week.
The cost of gravel climbed and not enough building going on so that is the reasons for lack of man hours needed.
Cons
normal benefits
pays decent but no security
Mix Plant Associate (Former Employee) –  McArthur, OHOctober 18, 2013
never knowing if your going to work 10 hours or two. I don't really like the chemicals I work with. MSDS folders were a mess and the machinery was poorly taken care of.
Very relaxed atmosphere, productive, fast paced
Cash Application Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHSeptember 28, 2013
Fast paced a lot to do, I learned a lot about construction sites that use explosives, Management spoke and appreciated their employees, all the co workers got along and helped each other, The hardest part of the job was being laid off, the most enjoyable part was crunching numbers and helping the clients with their purchases.
Pros
free lunch, bounses. incentives
Cons
healthcare
A DOT, ATF, or MSHA disaster looking for a place to happen.
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  TulsaAugust 30, 2013
Austin Powder is a good company overall but the location in Tulsa has some serious problems, the main one being an emphasis on profit over a prudent, long term situation. The trucks and equipment are sorely neglected and not even close to being DOT worthy. The daily pace and workload almost always involve 12-16 hour days in the field with no priority on vehicle upkeep except when unavoidable and then it's a "patch'em up and get'em back on the road" mentality. There is no opportunity for management at the local level and middle/upper management is ineffective and, for all practical purposes, non-existent. Employees are regularly asked to drive vehicle combinations for which they are not licensed and laws which pertain to transporting explosives are not heeded or even noticed. Worst of all, is an atmosphere of arrogance, disrespect, and, occasionally, verbal abuse, however, the main offenders are essentially bulletproof and immune to disciplinary action. Consequently, there is a turnover rate of nearly 70% though it may now be higher. If I considered my CDL and driving record important, it's the last place I'd want to work. Most people agree - of the three people hired over the five months I spent there, two are gone in addition to the part time clerk/data entry person. The location is even more woefully understaffed than when I hired on, not so much because of the workload, but mostly due to the bullying tendencies of a couple of untouchables.
Pros
there is an opportunity to learn a skill - blasting/quarrying.
Cons
a disrespectful, negative, and bullying mentality and attitude.
long hours and extreme whether coniditions
Powder Crew and Driller (Current Employee) –  Martin, KYAugust 1, 2013
Start work at 6a.m. load powder up with material. Go to magazines to pick up product to take to a production shot. Go to shot, watch for other traffic such pickups, 10 wheelers, and other heavy equipment. Work closely with blasters and drillers to get on shot and load production holes. Wire shot, evacuate area so blaster can detonate shot. Help blaster inspect shot and clear so production can resume. Best part of the job is working with my coworkers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours and hazaourd conitidition

2.9