Atomic Energy of Canada Employee Reviews

Highly educated staff many with PHDs a kind of academic environment
Project Controls Manager, Bruce NGS, Units (Former Employee) –  Sheridan Park, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada13 March 2017
- Lots of meetings and analytical discussions, too little emphasis on results.
- Learned a lot about reactor components, removal and installation tooling systems
- Management were extremely intelligent and professorial but not focussed enough on defining and achieving results.
- work place culture was like an academic institution lots of discussion and civilized debating that often never got translated into meaningful action{s}.
- Trying to get consensus on how to go forward
- Lovely delightful people just not suited for delivering product which led to a disappointing outcome.
Pros
Enjoyed the interacting with the people
Cons
professionally stimulating, culturally educational, making in a difference in the work
anaylst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 December 2016
I learned a great deal of science applied to the real world. I interacted with scientists and engineers from many other parts of the world. I learn to interact with mechanical, chemical and electrical engineers and thus learned how these disciplines affect nuclear technology. This encouraged me to improve my own skills in physics and mathematics.
Pros
my education applied to something real
Cons
a few long strikes
Interesting technical work
Safety Engineering Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
Gained valuable technical knowledge and skills. Worked with very technically competent people. People are friendly and helpful.
Interesting work
Deterministic Safety Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
Interesting work and gaining valuable technical knowledge and skills. People that I worked with were great and knowledgeable
My time at Atomic Energy was enjoyable.
Supervisor Cost Estimating (Former Employee) –  Chalk River Laboratory21 June 2016
Days were sometime strenuous but enjoyable.
At Atomic Energy I learned Project Management skills which supplemented my estimating skills.
Worked well together with co-workers
Estimating is time depended and deadlines have to be met.
Winning was the most enjoyable time.
Pros
Many rewards.
Cons
Demanding time frames
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON2 June 2016
The nuclear science research and development laboratory located in Chalk River Ontario. Federally owned and operated by Canadian Nuclear Laboratories.
Poorly managed
R&D Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON11 May 2016
Although a great place to work in terms of challenging projects it had poor or no direction provided by management. A typical crown corporation focusing on procedures and processes. There was many concerns with narcissistic managers protecting their own needs. The management has improved since CNEA has taken on the contract to manage the company with a vision to expand science and technology and focus on right sizing.
Pros
Great peers. many science and engineering disciplines.
Cons
Rural area.
good job
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON27 October 2015
good job great place to work, wife will start job in Gatineau I need a job close to Gatineau for less travel good and safe place to work
Most enjoyable part of the job
Maintenance Engineering and Assessment Student (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, Ontario14 October 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers and supervisor. Hours were lenient; could work extra hours to bank time if you needed to take time off. The work environment was also great, everybody was close and co workers had activities after work.
Quality Control Shift Supervisor
Quality Control Shift Supervisor & Inspector (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, ON1 October 2015
I was responsibly for managing and organizing a crew of 12 crew members. I performed pre job & post jobs, and maintained up to date data reports. Handled day-to-day tasks, and delivered work to all crew members. I have learned that being a supervisor is difficult job but has many awards to it. It allowed me to become a stronger person and work well as a team and as an individual. Hardest part of being a supervisor was deaing with different personalities and learning how to cope with them.
Pros
being a leader
Cons
long shifts
Great environment for learning and maturing.
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON1 August 2015
This review is from many years ago and I can only say that my 18 and one half years were enjoyable, but because at that time 1972-1990, Aecl was a closed community of employment, I felt isolated and remote from my home community of Pembroke so I resigned my position. I had the best co-workers and still maintain contact with them after all those years.
ompany no longer exists and it now CANDU energy, linked with SNC-Lavalin
Associate Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 July 2015
Fun place to work because of the people, not too much chance for advancement. Company no longer exists and it now CANDU energy, linked with SNC-Lavalin
Great people to work with. Not too stressful
Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 April 2015
Learned a lot on the job in terms of account and network shares set up and maintenance.
Good team to work with.Managers were always willing to help.
productive work place
Budget & Cost Assistant/Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pinawa, MB7 April 2015
I had two jobs here, one was Budget & Cost Accountant, and the other was travel co-ordinator for all employees. It was great, I loved both positions and a lot of responsibility in both.
Pros
productive and disciplined positions
Cons
sometimes hard to please travellers
Recommissioning of the Candu Reactors Very Challenging Work
electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, ON5 April 2015
Endeavored to provide the necessary technical support for the commissioning of the refurbished Candu. reactors. An exciting opportunity to put my engineering skills to the test.

Assigned to support the CCTV and robotic systems installation, that provided HMI support during the replacement of the Candu reactor colindria tubes.

The residual radiation within the reactor's colindria tubing proved to be problematic to the engineering work.
Eventually these problems were resolved.
Pros
Good management support
Cons
work areas having residual radiation
Project Coordinator
Projects (Former Employee) –  Chalk River15 March 2015
The salary was great, the life work balance was amazing, however, it is a place where only the people who are related to someone working at AECL have a place there. So you have the brother, the sister, the cousin or any other relative working there and they made the person who is not related to chalk river people or Deep river feel like they have a contagious disease. The management is all about who you know not what you and o boy if you showed any enthusiasm to complete your part of work fast ...

However, I did learn a lot in the two years about Atomic Energy. However, when I quit and found another position I was surprised
how behind I was in my technology knowledge.

Did I mention the projects they indicate are on schedule on budget are actually sometimes years behind and way over budget.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Management .. Need I say more
Process centric Organization
Project Engineering Representative (Current Employee) –  Chalk River11 March 2015
Great Learning Platform for young graduates, lot of research work is being carried out in Nuclear field.
Employees are required to gear towards a safety culture at AECL; follow procedures and processes.
Pros
Research, Balance between family and work life
In transition from a Crown Corp to Private management
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Deep River, ON3 November 2014
Mixed bag. The company is the only large employer of professionals in the area.

Company consists almost half and half of locals who are often second or third generation employees and "imports" who moved to Deep River for the job. This makes for an odd culture of entitlement from those who's families hold significant management positions. This is in contrast to the "real world" employees who often work several months within the system and then leave to pursue more conventional positions.

The uncertainty of the company future has raised tensions between the established management and the balance of the company.
Pros
A beautiful area to live, some interesting and exciting work to do.
Cons
Politics and nepotism
too many management changes, direction adjustments
Expeditor, Contract Admin, & Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2014
the entire time was challenging and rewarding, but too many ups & downs.
Pros
the highs were very good
Cons
the lows were very discouraging
Great Student Work Environment!
Electrical Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON9 June 2014
They provide a great opportunity for students to learn! Highly recommend working here!
Pros
Location - if you love the outdoors