ATOMIC ENERGY OF CANADA LIMITED

ATOMIC ENERGY OF CANADA LIMITED Employee Reviews in Canada

Quality Control Shift Supervisor
Quality Control Shift Supervisor & Inspector (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, ONOctober 1, 2015
I was responsibly for managing and organizing a crew of 12 crew members. I performed pre job & post jobs, and maintained up to date data reports. Handled day-to-day tasks, and delivered work to all crew members. I have learned that being a supervisor is difficult job but has many awards to it. It allowed me to become a stronger person and work well as a team and as an individual. Hardest part of being a supervisor was deaing with different personalities and learning how to cope with them.
Pros
being a leader
Cons
long shifts
Great environment for learning and maturing.
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ONAugust 1, 2015
This review is from many years ago and I can only say that my 18 and one half years were enjoyable, but because at that time 1972-1990, Aecl was a closed community of employment, I felt isolated and remote from my home community of Pembroke so I resigned my position. I had the best co-workers and still maintain contact with them after all those years.
Great people to work with. Not too stressful
Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 30, 2015
Learned a lot on the job in terms of account and network shares set up and maintenance.
Good team to work with.Managers were always willing to help.
Project Coordinator
Projects (Former Employee) –  Chalk RiverMarch 15, 2015
The salary was great, the life work balance was amazing, however, it is a place where only the people who are related to someone working at AECL have a place there. So you have the brother, the sister, the cousin or any other relative working there and they made the person who is not related to chalk river people or Deep river feel like they have a contagious disease. The management is all about who you know not what you and o boy if you showed any enthusiasm to complete your part of work fast ...

However, I did learn a lot in the two years about Atomic Energy. However, when I quit and found another position I was surprised
how behind I was in my technology knowledge.

Did I mention the projects they indicate are on schedule on budget are actually sometimes years behind and way over budget.
Pros
learning
Cons
management .. need i say more
Process centric Organization
Project Engineering Representative (Current Employee) –  Chalk RiverMarch 11, 2015
Great Learning Platform for young graduates, lot of research work is being carried out in Nuclear field.
Employees are required to gear towards a safety culture at AECL; follow procedures and processes.
Pros
research, balance between family and work life
Science Capital of Canada
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  chalk riverAugust 15, 2013
Excellent place to live and raise a family. However, its remote and can opposite of the urban lifestyle.

Extremely well educated populous. You work and live with the same people.

Culture is shifting due to government cutbacks and privatization.
Pros
a lot of them
Cons
remote location
It is a great place to learn
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ONJuly 7, 2013
It is a great place to learn from experienced people. They will teach you anything you would like to learn.
Endless learning
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ONApril 17, 2013
Amazing place to work and further your skills. I don't have one complaint about it. Best job I ever had.
Pros
great pay
Confiquration Management Support
Configuration Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 24, 2013
• Participated in feasibility studies and supported via work share between SNERDI and AECL for the development of proprietary program
• Established and maintained the Configuration Matrix which shows the design drawings, revisions and hardware and software configuration of each and every unit of equipment by location
• Documented as-built system piping connected to MMIR-Medical Isotopes research reactors; Updated existing documentation with current field conditions; Traced piping, components and equipment in each system, to address inconsistencies in configurations; Identified non-conformities in system
piping through comparison of as-built design documentations;
• Standardized nuclear and non-nuclear technical material specifica¬tions for
components in CANDU project databases.
Challenging work environment with plenty of opportunities to learn
Process/Mechanical Design Engineering Analyst (Current Employee) –  Deep River, OntarioNovember 21, 2012
Challenging work environment with plenty of opportunities to learn
Pros
plenty of opportunities to learn
Cons
poor management structure
Engineering Company with a good work environment.
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 16, 2012
This Company has several engineering departments specialized in a variety of engineering fields dedicated to the support of the design, construction, procurement, commissioning, maintenance and quality assurance of nuclear power plants. The different groups interact in the resolution of technical, commercial and quality problems, and as a result of this interaction a team work approach is improved. The management is pro-active and supportive of their employees at all times. A nuclear reactor is a complex type of machinery, and each of its equipment, components and parts requires the application of technical and engineering knowledge, together with health & safety and quality approaches; the final outcome is that each piece of work is challenging and rewarding at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job is to have any project completed in time and in budget, with a satisfied customer, and of course to meet with co-workers.
Pros
free coffee and tea, and flexible work starting and finishing times.
Cons
lack of fitness facilities
Fire Prevention Officer/ Fire Investigator
Fire Prevention Officer/Fire Investigator (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ONNovember 7, 2012
Fire Prevention Duties:

Manage data base
fire safety
fire protection
Pros
excellent pay, hard working firefighters
Cons
management need to say more
I would love to be still working there, I learned alot
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, OntarioApril 27, 2012
1) looking after all documentation for the re-tube
2) I learned alot about nuculear, I knew nothing about it before working for AECL
3) supervisors were great, very helpful, always willing to answer questions
4) we were like a family
5) checking to make sure calibration figures were correct
6)most enjoyable part on the job was having one, the company cared about the workers
Pros
thank you from the company, (something that simple goes along way)
Cons
the company sold and we lost our jobs

4.6