Atkins

Atkins Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Biggest Challenge
IS Director Middle East (Current Employee), Dubai, DUJuly 14, 2014
This is the biggest challenge of my career. This job has given me a chance to lead an IS transformation project for an important employer with global reach.
Good working environment with great people.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Dubai, DUJune 17, 2014
I worked on the Kazan Tower in Russia and assisted with the designing of the following:

Designing domestic hot and cold water supply systems
Designing drainage pipe systems
Pump selection for the supply water
Designing OA AHU systems
Selection of OA AHU units
excellent colleagues,varied workload
Verification Tester on the District Line (Current Employee), London EnglandMay 20, 2014
complete paperwork as required,go to worksite meet rest of team,I give a short briefing of work to be completed.

The team I work with varies and I enjoy meeting and working with new people.
I am left alone to get on with my work,management rarely visit site.
Good working environment
Aerospace Intern (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAMay 20, 2014
Its going to be a busy day, but enjoyable.
Working with different cultures and getting work done within the time limit is accelerating.
Small office, nice people
Exec Asst/Office Admin Asst (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 21, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: always worried about getting billable work.
Quiet office with nice people. Started as an executive assistant to Sr. VP but ended up being the receptionist as the office continued to have lay-offs.
overall a good company
Site Engineer (Current Employee), country wideMarch 21, 2014
Pros: lunch and dinner provided if lodging
Cons: more office based
a typical day involves an early start with quite a bit of travel.
the day usually ends up with shift reports and site diarys being uploaded
Lovely people, great work
Transaction Assistant (Former Employee), UKMarch 16, 2014
I worked for this company for almost 10 years in various administration roles. Atkins design and complete building, road and rail projects all over the World.
Toxic Environment
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 15, 2014
Pros: opportunities in large transportation and infrastructure projects.
Cons: serious instability.
Echo other comments about management in Central Texas, particularly in NEPA/planning area. Some excellent individuals, but attrition through layoffs and defections is gutting capabilities while leaving little or no institutional memory of former quality controls. Mid-level management seems to make decisions based on personal grudges more than long-term – more... vision, leaving an extremely unsettled group. Applicants would do well to stay clear until company has decided on a long term vision, after multiple re-orgs in a very short period of time. – less
Productive and fun working place
SR. PROGRAM ASSSISTANT III (Current Employee), Henderson, NVFebruary 24, 2014
Enjoyed the option to choose my work hours; Management is easy to work with, co-workers are friendly, HR is knowledgeable and helpful, great location
You're just a number, getting too corporate
Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2014
Cons: no loyalty, layoffs
There is NO job security in this company unless you are highly billable. There is no heart or loyalty from the company, you are just a number. They have been laying people off that have been with company (or company they acquired) forever. It's just sad.

Work /life balance is ok as long as you made your numbers you can have some flexibility. They about – more... average to below average and getting annual raises is tough. Even though I had a superior annual review I got the same pitiful raise as everyone else.

They are a huge international firm so you can get some international experience unless you work in the Atkins North America division, then you're stuck.

I also worked with a bunch of duds in my group that I could never get to go do anything fun outside of work so that didn't help. – less
Typical day at work
Building Maintenance (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2014
For the last several years I have worked part time (full time before that). I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I would move and rearrange offices (furniture), repair furniture, Make appointments for vehicle fleet to be repaired. Every afternoon I would spend the last few hours in the mail room dealing with incoming and outgoing mail.
Do not recommend
Project Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 9, 2014
Originally PBS&J, was bought out by Atkins. New management is much worse, do not see any future with this company. Upper management making many decisions in a vacuum without consulting middle-managers. Many long-standing (20+ years) employees are being laid off. Clients are pulling out of Atkins as a result. Things are going to get much worse before – more... they get better.

I do not recommend anyone applying for a job here. – less
Stressful job where you had to learn how to prioitise workload.
MODERN HOUSING SOLUTIONS - Zone Coordinator (Former Employee), Thetford, NorfolkFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: free tea/coffee.
Cons: lot of pressure when i was handed the workload of the two offices that closed.
Atkins was the company I started with 10 years ago and cannot fault at all. 8 years ago the Prime Contract was won by Modern Housing Solutions so new contract started with them.
The last 8 years have been a rollercoaster ride. Learnt a new "In house" system, Workmanager, which has taken all of the 8 years to perfect. Whereas we started with 15 workers – more... within our area, 2 offices have closed out of four and a third about to close, this one being the one I work at hence my being made reduntant in 10 weeeks time. ( Mid April 2014 ). – less
boaring
cleaner (Former Employee), cambridge trumpinton roadFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: extra cash
Cons: not good pay
get to the (mrc) brain scanning place in cambridge around 5 o'clock in the morning then i would get started dusting every desk and side that i can see then empty around 50 bins then mop the areas that need mopping and clean the side's after dusting them down.
Productive and fun
Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee), Kirkland, WAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: people
Good company with a future projects. Planning to grow to the industry,
poor
Machinist (Former Employee), HinkleyJanuary 28, 2014
Cons: everything
a typical day would be standing at a machine
i learnt how to load a machine with tights
the management was poor
I worked on my own and had no co-workers
the hardest part of the job was turning up
the most enjoyable part of the job was nothing; it was boring and mundane
highways operative
highways operative (Current Employee), area 6January 20, 2014
Pros: the money
Cons: always on call
the typical day could be gritting ,then pot holes ,vrs repairs.
management got to a stage were the job couldn't be done as health and safety is to tight .
long hours and working nights on call for accidents.
gritting and barrier repair.
Admin Support
Admin Support (Former Employee), Whtehaven CumbrisJanuary 3, 2014
A typical day was basic admin support (filing, copying, up keep of calanders, taking messages ect) but also help managing and orgainsing files and any other jobs that may have arisen. Certain day covering the switch board.
I worked with in a team of 3 people and we had to ensure there was always cover for the main desk and that our basic duties where – more... completed in a timely mannor. – less
Driven workplace, excellent staff conditions, very business orientated
Graduate Defence Engineer (Current Employee), Bristol, UKDecember 19, 2013
Atkins is a unique Engineering company to work for. As a consultancy, your life is filled with a variety of projects, locations and staff to work with. No 2 months are the same, and there's always a new challenge to look forwards to.
job satisfaction
architect and interior designer (Former Employee), dubaiDecember 18, 2013
I have worked with this company in DUBAI for 7 long years,during 1994 to 2001. as senior Architect and interior designer.
if given chance, i will be happy to serve more to the company any where in their projects. hoping to get a chances. wish me good luck.

1 2 3

About Atkins

Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of – Read more