Atkins

Atkins Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace
F&DT Stress Engineer (Former Employee), BristolOctober 1, 2014
A fun place to work with a good atmosphere. Good support from colleagues
Atkins
Instrument Technician (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CASeptember 30, 2014
While working at Atkins I was able to better my experience with Instrumentation, PLC's and the entire oil production process.
Best place to learn consulting
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: good benefit. various type of works. good cultures
Cons: too much work and supervisor are sort of bossy
one of the best consulting company.
colleges are very friendly.
works are so sophisticated but fun.

However some times work load is too high to balance with life
N/A
ITS Field Inspector (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 27, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Great place to work for and average day includes driving to the
jobsite and following up with the contractor about there everyday
operation.
I learned to have excellent communication with the everyone.
I never on occasion worked with my co-workers cause we have
different task.
The hardest part of my job is not knowing the next move after completing – more... a project.
I enjoyed getting to know all sorts of people. – less
Productive, educational
Work Experience (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGAugust 26, 2014
Pros: long lunch frees
Cons: long hours
I worked in several departments, including Highways and Transportation, the Environmental Consultancy Team and Human Resources, of which I found the latter most useful in terms of developing my confidence and improving my communication skills when talking to a variety of people of different ages. In HR I also took phone calls, listened to telephone – more... interviews, planned interview timetables and organised interview preparation packs. The most enjoyable was the Environmental Consultancy Team, where I studied the environmental issues related to and geochemistry affecting, the building of new houses on an old industrial site in my hometown. Experiencing a week of teamwork and carrying out this type of work in this industry was very valuable. – less
Consultant for LNG Terminal Design and Construction
WS Atkins Representative, Associate (Former Employee), Milano, LOMAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches, air fly, accommodation, company car, expatriate packages
Checking and calculation, managing and checking coopration with all branches in international environment, Italian, France, Britons, Polish, German
productive
technician (Former Employee), southeastAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free lauches
Cons: long hours
Work. For. Such. A. Company. Would. very good. I. would also. consider. the pay one. would. be getting
Getting worse and worse
Senior Engineer (Current Employee), West Midlands, ENGJuly 23, 2014
Pros: get to work on interesting and widely varied schemes, part of a great team
Cons: terrible management, lack of planning / direction and very poor communication internally
There are some great engineers at Atkins, and some fabulous projects. But most of this happens despite, not because of, the management.

Current culture in the Water and Environment business is a strong drive toward the bottom line with no thought for ensuring that the people (who are the firm's main asset) are happy or engaged.

Salary reviews have – more... been repeatedly cancelled, additional working hours are being introduced (got sent a letter which basically told me to sign a new contract or I'd be sacked without any real justification why), there are constant reductions in real benefits - the pensions situation is particularly poor, and lip service is paid to employee welfare... I could go on.

The IT is awful.

Over the twenty years since I started the company has become totally driven by process and procedure with no local managers even at associate or business director level seeming able to make decisions. Communication is dreadful - lots of irrelevant information and virtually no specifics. In the recent redundancies round most of the letters sent out had errors in them!

I would not work for Atkins W&E again and couldn't recommend them as an employer. – less
Biggest Challenge
IS Director Middle East (Current Employee), Dubai, DUJuly 14, 2014
This is the biggest challenge of my career. This job has given me a chance to lead an IS transformation project for an important employer with global reach.
Good working environment with great people.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Dubai, DUJune 17, 2014
I worked on the Kazan Tower in Russia and assisted with the designing of the following:

Designing domestic hot and cold water supply systems
Designing drainage pipe systems
Pump selection for the supply water
Designing OA AHU systems
Selection of OA AHU units
excellent colleagues,varied workload
Verification Tester on the District Line (Current Employee), London EnglandMay 20, 2014
complete paperwork as required,go to worksite meet rest of team,I give a short briefing of work to be completed.

The team I work with varies and I enjoy meeting and working with new people.
I am left alone to get on with my work,management rarely visit site.
Good working environment
Aerospace Intern (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAMay 20, 2014
Its going to be a busy day, but enjoyable.
Working with different cultures and getting work done within the time limit is accelerating.
Small office, nice people
Exec Asst/Office Admin Asst (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 21, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: always worried about getting billable work.
Quiet office with nice people. Started as an executive assistant to Sr. VP but ended up being the receptionist as the office continued to have lay-offs.
overall a good company
Site Engineer (Current Employee), country wideMarch 21, 2014
Pros: lunch and dinner provided if lodging
Cons: more office based
a typical day involves an early start with quite a bit of travel.
the day usually ends up with shift reports and site diarys being uploaded
Lovely people, great work
Transaction Assistant (Former Employee), UKMarch 16, 2014
I worked for this company for almost 10 years in various administration roles. Atkins design and complete building, road and rail projects all over the World.
Toxic Environment
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 15, 2014
Pros: opportunities in large transportation and infrastructure projects.
Cons: serious instability.
Echo other comments about management in Central Texas, particularly in NEPA/planning area. Some excellent individuals, but attrition through layoffs and defections is gutting capabilities while leaving little or no institutional memory of former quality controls. Mid-level management seems to make decisions based on personal grudges more than long-term – more... vision, leaving an extremely unsettled group. Applicants would do well to stay clear until company has decided on a long term vision, after multiple re-orgs in a very short period of time. – less
Productive and fun working place
SR. PROGRAM ASSSISTANT III (Current Employee), Henderson, NVFebruary 24, 2014
Enjoyed the option to choose my work hours; Management is easy to work with, co-workers are friendly, HR is knowledgeable and helpful, great location
You're just a number, getting too corporate
Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2014
Cons: no loyalty, layoffs
There is NO job security in this company unless you are highly billable. There is no heart or loyalty from the company, you are just a number. They have been laying people off that have been with company (or company they acquired) forever. It's just sad.

Work /life balance is ok as long as you made your numbers you can have some flexibility. They about – more... average to below average and getting annual raises is tough. Even though I had a superior annual review I got the same pitiful raise as everyone else.

They are a huge international firm so you can get some international experience unless you work in the Atkins North America division, then you're stuck.

I also worked with a bunch of duds in my group that I could never get to go do anything fun outside of work so that didn't help. – less
Typical day at work
Building Maintenance (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2014
For the last several years I have worked part time (full time before that). I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I would move and rearrange offices (furniture), repair furniture, Make appointments for vehicle fleet to be repaired. Every afternoon I would spend the last few hours in the mail room dealing with incoming and outgoing mail.
Do not recommend
Project Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 9, 2014
Originally PBS&J, was bought out by Atkins. New management is much worse, do not see any future with this company. Upper management making many decisions in a vacuum without consulting middle-managers. Many long-standing (20+ years) employees are being laid off. Clients are pulling out of Atkins as a result. Things are going to get much worse before – more... they get better.

I do not recommend anyone applying for a job here. – less

1 2 3 4

About Atkins

Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of – Read more