ATCO Structures and Logistics

ATCO Structures and Logistics Employee Reviews

Productive, Focused, Team Enviroment
Territory Sales Manager - Hwy 427 to Windsor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON to Windsor2 November 2015
Good team environment all the sales people had a common goal in mind and that's what's best for the branch and what's best for the company. Like any other company they had their ways of doing business your typical paper work and procedures that had to be followed. The after sales support was outstanding that individual had a very good understanding of the sales/operation role and the value it brought to the company.
Not a great place
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Jansen saskatchewan15 September 2015
Not one of the best places I have ever worked at, management was terrible. Discrimination was the order of the day . Independent of thought was a no no. You were to be seen not heard . sycophancy was the order of the day. I wouldn't work there again
Production Worker/Framer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2016
Great hours, safe place to work. They pay overtime and great benefit package. They have a union, and it is a enjoyable place to work.
Good place to work at
Senior Project Controls Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2014
Soul oil and gas market based company. If it has project its a good long day - management is cooperative, co-workers very good.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
long hours when needed be
High turnover - stay away
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 January 2016
I was hired for one of the top positions at Atco S&L, I still regret it. Constant turnover, incredible back fighting. Not worth the interview effort.
Pros
Resonable pay
Cons
No support
Great group of people
FINANCE & ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 November 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working for ATCO Structures & Logistics. I made life long friends and learnt a lot. It was long hours but the people made it home.
Pros
Good wages for field work
Cons
No job security
Very productive exciting company with excellent opportunities to advance for all.
General Foreperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2012
ATCO runs 3 production lines. A typical day at work included aligning all the resources to ensure the safest, most productive mehtods of meeting/exceeding the daily production schedule.
I started at ATCO as a plant sweeper and within my first 6 months was promoted to the receiving deparment where I became the first female leadhand in all of the ATCO companies world wide. I lead a team of 7 people in all receiving, material distribution, line moves, floor loading, and inventory set ups for a period of 7 years. I was promoted through the ranks working in every shop for periods of time developing processes and visual aids to benefit the employees, managers, contract administrators and customers.
I developed a work break down structure (WBS) for a multi million dollar project which allowed me to work closely with all employees on the plant floor as well as all levels of management and the customer.
Management provided me with training, mentorship and support over all my years and assisted me in developing myself to my full potential.
My co-workers were not limited to any specific group of people, I considered everyone a co-worker at all levels. I had an amazing group of employees that were as dedicated and committed to my success as I was to theirs.
The hardest part of my job was finding the seperation between work and life. I became so absorbed in my work that I lost my work/life balance. In my time with ATCO, I never took a vacation or sick day throughout my career and failed to recognize the impact it was having on my family.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to
  more... see people through to their full potential, develop great leaders and the employee committment I achieved through being an honest, dedicated team player that was never afraid to try something to improve the working environment, and allowing the employees to make those improvements with little to no cost to the company.  less
Pros
employee events, service recognition, excellent pension plan, great benefits, opportunities to advance
Cons
i find none
Terrible Company
Group Operations Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2015
Somebody once referred to the people in this organization as boiled frogs, slowly cooked until they have no idea what is going on. I have experienced this and agree complete. Senior management allows it to happen.
Engaging workplace with easily transferrable skills
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  1 Yukon Lane, Toronto, ON M3K0A17 May 2014
I worked for ATCO from 8am to 4pm from Monday to Friday during the summer, and it was a good experience to gather up skills for future employments. The management was good as I always had something to do whether it would be to do landscaping outside (mowing lawns) or clean up inside the armory.
Pros
Good training
Good group to work with both in office and the field
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB26 January 2015
When I was in the field, we would start with our work scope and fill out our daily FLHA'S and carry on with our tasks. Varied from drywall, welding dec-tec, installing exterior belly band, fascia, trim.
Craning in trailers. Building walkways. Doing final walk throughs and deficiency lists.
Great team atmosphere. Had fun doing my job.
Hardest was when it was below -40

When I was in the office,
I worked on material take-offs and tracked down items we required.
Did town runs for certain materials
Maintained any paper work that was relevant to my position
Had daily meetings
Worked closely alongside the purchaser
Pros
Days went fast
Cons
Being away from home
Very Busy No Time to Train New Hires
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2014
Spent a short period of time here. Company is very busy and does not have the proper time and training methods in place for someone new to the industry
Pros
work life balance
Cons
difficult to learn and be independent
An excellent company to work for with room for advancement.
Deputy Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2014
We developed an outstanding team for this project while maintaining very high standards of safety and efficiency.

A typical day included managing a myriad of different areas of responsibility such as (but not limited to) fleet and building maintenance, security, on site medical services (trauma center), fire department, financial and administrative services, supply and inventory control, snow removal and dust suppression.

The team was very supportive to one another would step outside their regular roles to assist another member or department if requested.
Pros
Very good safety standards and team building
Cons
Like most project related jobs, once the job is completed lay-offs occur.
Great Company for those with family and great place to retire.
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  calgary alberta6 October 2012
For those who are looking for steady 40 hour weeks with decent pay ATCO Structures & logistics is a very promising place. especially for journeymen of any trade. Work is always indoors, place is slow and relitivily easy. full benefits after three months. ATCO is great for those with kids and family.

The negatives though, they currently laid off 103 employees out of 400 due to lack of work as of October 2012. They are a union based company and as a result of that segiority rules over all.

Also, for those looking to start an apprenticeship at ATCO, please look elsewhere. In my personal opinion ATCO is not supportive of giving employees apprenticeships due to the fact that they cannot keep apprentices and employees, they to keep you there for as long as possible (or till they dont need you that is)

If you are planning on doing your entire apprenticeship at ATCO structures do not plan on keeping your jouneyman wage when you leave ATCO. You will not gain the required experience needed working here to be a well rounded Journeyman.

I suggest ATCO to those who are nearing retirement or looking for a steady decent paycheck. Work is very repetitive and relativily easy.
Pros
great benefits, weekends off, garenteed 40 hour weeks, work pace is easy to handle
Cons
zero overtime, union based, repetitive, not apprentice freindly
Great People and Work enviroment
Operations Manager/team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2015
-most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with people on a day to day basis.
-Helping see a project to completion
-overseeing several employees
-Mentoring,coaching and training team members
drafting action plans and seeing the impact
-devoloping new analytics tools.
Young Co-workers, Great company with old mentality
Territory Sales Manager / Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, Ont24 September 2012
Working at ATCO has been a great opportunity. They allow for and seek internal growth. They have offices all across Canada and various parts of the world offering opportunities to grow with the internationally.
I gain experience with office, accounting and sales throughout my time with ATCO. The only draw back is that some of their equipment, software and training is a very historic mindset. They need to update those and speed up with the current market however overall a great company.
Opportunity to travel and gained valuable experience
Work Control and Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2013
I gained valuable experience building and maintaining a Computerized Maintenance Management System.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
21/7 rotation was too long
Work Expectations
Building Maintenance Techn. #2 (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON4 March 2013
I am required to have a police record check. I have no criminal record. I preformed cleaning in the Armory in Sault Ste Marie,ON. I attended IAPA training, and hold a first aid cert. as well. I had the opportunity to act as supervisor during to absence of our regular supervisor. Climbing stairs and lifting is a must with this job. I was also on the Health and Safety Committee. I kept all MSDS sheets up to date. As well as PPE. I also had the opportunity to order supplies for our job requirements. I know how to stripe and wax floors safely.
overall rating is very good
Shop floor labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2012
Actually I started working a full time job come on time be ready for the job I was working as a labour I learned how to be responsible for what ever task tell you to do and how manage your time to get it done on time effectively. also treat others just as need to be treated that will help create a good working envirnment and help to achieve your goal which get work done. base on my experience there is no hardest part of the job as long as you know how to do it!
Very disappointed
1st year Carpenter (Former Employee) –  BHP Billiton Jansen Project17 September 2014
I was laid off when I hurt myself at work and went to the Dr and was put on Light Duty about one week later I got a letter stating that I don't meet there standard only after working 8 days with this company.Very disappointed in how it was handled. For a company this size to just kick you down the road because you get hurt. Who cares. You should
Pros
Well Structure Company
Cons
Getting hurt on there job
Good company to work for.
Relief Lodge Manager (temporary fill-in position) (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta12 June 2015
Solid company with a proven track record.
Good benefit program.
Staff are friendly and knowledgeable.
Safety-first attitude puts employee welfare at the forefront.

ATCO Structures and Logistics Reviews by Location