ATCO Structures and Logistics

ATCO Structures and Logistics Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very productive exciting company with excellent opportunities to advance for all.
General Foreperson (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2012
Pros: employee events, service recognition, excellent pension plan, great benefits, opportunities to advance
Cons: i find none
ATCO runs 3 production lines. A typical day at work included aligning all the resources to ensure the safest, most productive mehtods of meeting/exceeding the daily production schedule.
I started at ATCO as a plant sweeper and within my first 6 months was promoted to the receiving deparment where I became the first female leadhand in all of the ATCO companies world wide. I lead a team of 7 people in all receiving, material distribution, line moves, floor loading, and inventory set ups for a period of 7 years. I was promoted through the ranks working in every shop for periods of time developing processes and visual aids to benefit the employees, managers, contract administrators and customers.
I developed a work break down structure (WBS) for a multi million dollar project which allowed me to work closely with all employees on the plant floor as well as all levels of management and the customer.
Management provided me with training, mentorship and support over all my years and assisted me in developing myself to my full potential.
My co-workers were not limited to any specific group of people, I considered everyone a co-worker at all levels. I had an amazing group of employees that were as dedicated and committed to my success as I was to theirs.
The hardest part of my job was finding the seperation between work and life. I became so absorbed in my work that I lost my work/life balance. In my time with ATCO, I never took a vacation or sick day throughout my career and failed to recognize the impact it was having on my family.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to – more... see people through to their full potential, develop great leaders and the employee committment I achieved through being an honest, dedicated team player that was never afraid to try something to improve the working environment, and allowing the employees to make those improvements with little to no cost to the company. – less
Great Company for those with family and great place to retire.
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee), calgary albertaOctober 6, 2012
Pros: great benefits, weekends off, garenteed 40 hour weeks, work pace is easy to handle
Cons: zero overtime, union based, repetitive, not apprentice freindly
For those who are looking for steady 40 hour weeks with decent pay ATCO Structures & logistics is a very promising place. especially for journeymen of any trade. Work is always indoors, place is slow and relitivily easy. full benefits after three months. ATCO is great for those with kids and family.

The negatives though, they currently laid off 103 employees out of 400 due to lack of work as of October 2012. They are a union based company and as a result of that segiority rules over all.

Also, for those looking to start an apprenticeship at ATCO, please look elsewhere. In my personal opinion ATCO is not supportive of giving employees apprenticeships due to the fact that they cannot keep apprentices and employees, they to keep you there for as long as possible (or till they dont need you that is)

If you are planning on doing your entire apprenticeship at ATCO structures do not plan on keeping your jouneyman wage when you leave ATCO. You will not gain the required experience needed working here to be a well rounded Journeyman.

I suggest ATCO to those who are nearing retirement or looking for a steady decent paycheck. Work is very repetitive and relativily easy.
very clicky, and no benefits,don't care about staff
exzective chef (Current Employee), albertaSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: free food
Cons: disconering managers for employees
After working for this company for 2 years, and found out that most of the camps are temporary, so all you get for benefits is drugs paid 80% and thats it, no other benefits.I was told directly that staff is not a priorty and to shut your mouth. not a good experience, the district regional manager is a lot of talk and promises and never comes through for anyone,Sleeping rooms and showers are very tight quarters 8x10, and share showers.food is ok and the staff are allways put down by management, never good enough,I am a certified chef.So if you are looking to work for a company that has some travel allowance,medical, dental, extended health,and good sleeping rooms with professional managers that take care and care of their employees I don't reccomend you apply at atco,for they dont care
Great place if you're looking for regularity
CARPENTER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 17, 2015
Pros: Easy hours, indoors, safety oriented, show up and work
Cons: Dusty, repetitive, lack of spirit
ATCO, been my place of work for quite some time. Great place for people looking for structure and regularity. If someone wants pension, benefits, good pay, and a job that you're finished at 3:30 daily, it may be the place. Being a union job it has its quirks, but if you can put on blinders and ignore what the less driven people are doing than you'll be fine. There is room for advancement, you just have to be motivated and know your stuff or know how to keep things in order.
Management is the main issue for the trades in the manufacturing end of things, they need a clean slate there. When oil is down, there's no work but I have no regrets being there for the time I was.
Good group to work with both in office and the field
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee), Peace River, ABJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: days went fast
Cons: being away from home
When I was in the field, we would start with our work scope and fill out our daily FLHA'S and carry on with our tasks. Varied from drywall, welding dec-tec, installing exterior belly band, fascia, trim.
Craning in trailers. Building walkways. Doing final walk throughs and deficiency lists.
Great team atmosphere. Had fun doing my job.
Hardest was when it was below -40

When I was in the office,
I worked on material take-offs and tracked down items we required.
Did town runs for certain materials
Maintained any paper work that was relevant to my position
Had daily meetings
Worked closely alongside the purchaser
Fair Wage, Awful Culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2013
Pros: decent benefits and wages
Cons: awful middle management, low work life balance, no performance wage structure, ineffective technology
Internal advancement All jobs that could be filled by internal applicants are hired externally. Compensation is mid-level, some people get bonuses one year and not the next. It is not explained. Senior management is to detached to realize the damage the inexperienced middle management is doing until half the department is lost semi-annually due to turnover. Work assignments are segregated and bland. Co-workers are friendly, technology is out of date and the business does not support needed infrastructure. Do not recommend.
Work Expectations
Building Maintenance Techn. #2 (Former Employee), Sault Ste. Marie, ONMarch 4, 2013
I am required to have a police record check. I have no criminal record. I preformed cleaning in the Armory in Sault Ste Marie,ON. I attended IAPA training, and hold a first aid cert. as well. I had the opportunity to act as supervisor during to absence of our regular supervisor. Climbing stairs and lifting is a must with this job. I was also on the Health and Safety Committee. I kept all MSDS sheets up to date. As well as PPE. I also had the opportunity to order supplies for our job requirements. I know how to stripe and wax floors safely.
Young Co-workers, Great company with old mentality
Territory Sales Manager / Contract Administrator (Current Employee), Cookstown, OntSeptember 24, 2012
Working at ATCO has been a great opportunity. They allow for and seek internal growth. They have offices all across Canada and various parts of the world offering opportunities to grow with the internationally.
I gain experience with office, accounting and sales throughout my time with ATCO. The only draw back is that some of their equipment, software and training is a very historic mindset. They need to update those and speed up with the current market however overall a great company.
Great team atmosphere.
Fire Services Consultant (Contractor) (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioMay 22, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: time away from home.
Working with the team at ATCO SL has been a very rewarding experience, I was able to advance through to the Fire Chiefs position on one of our projects very quickly. Management rewards those who are dedicated to seeing that the company succeeds on every front. My biggest challenge was being away from home quite a bit. The best part of the job has been the team atmosphere, I feel that a content work environment makes for a productive and succesful work place.
overall rating is very good
Shop floor labourer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 24, 2012
Actually I started working a full time job come on time be ready for the job I was working as a labour I learned how to be responsible for what ever task tell you to do and how manage your time to get it done on time effectively. also treat others just as need to be treated that will help create a good working envirnment and help to achieve your goal which get work done. base on my experience there is no hardest part of the job as long as you know how to do it!
Very disappointed
1st year Carpenter (Former Employee), BHP Billiton Jansen ProjectSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: well structure company
Cons: getting hurt on there job
I was laid off when I hurt myself at work and went to the Dr and was put on Light Duty about one week later I got a letter stating that I don't meet there standard only after working 8 days with this company.Very disappointed in how it was handled. For a company this size to just kick you down the road because you get hurt. Who cares. You should
Productive, Focused, Team Enviroment
Territory Sales Manager - Hwy 427 to Windsor (Former Employee), Mississauga, ON to WindsorNovember 2, 2015
Good team environment all the sales people had a common goal in mind and that's what's best for the branch and what's best for the company. Like any other company they had their ways of doing business your typical paper work and procedures that had to be followed. The after sales support was outstanding that individual had a very good understanding of the sales/operation role and the value it brought to the company.
Standard
Administrative Duties (Former Employee), EdmontonNovember 25, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: out of town
Although i loved the staff the job itself was very tedeious and slow.
Short days seemed long. There was little room for growth in my contracted position and due to lack of business my position was laid off.
I would suggest this company for a seperate location as to the one i worked at.
Engaging workplace with easily transferrable skills
General Laborer (Former Employee), 1 Yukon Lane, Toronto, ON M3K0A1May 7, 2014
Pros: good training
I worked for ATCO from 8am to 4pm from Monday to Friday during the summer, and it was a good experience to gather up skills for future employments. The management was good as I always had something to do whether it would be to do landscaping outside (mowing lawns) or clean up inside the armory.
Great People and Work enviroment
Operations Manager/team Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2015
-most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with people on a day to day basis.
-Helping see a project to completion
-overseeing several employees
-Mentoring,coaching and training team members
drafting action plans and seeing the impact
-devoloping new analytics tools.
Good support from management
Senior HSE Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary AlbertaJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: travel covered by company
Cons: remote locations
Has a good team with lots of support for its field personnel. The try to accommodate people with their schedules outside of work.always there to listen and incorporate ideas you put forward.
Terrible Company
Group Operations Controller (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2015
Somebody once referred to the people in this organization as boiled frogs, slowly cooked until they have no idea what is going on. I have experienced this and agree complete. Senior management allows it to happen.
Very Busy No Time to Train New Hires
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: difficult to learn and be independent
Spent a short period of time here. Company is very busy and does not have the proper time and training methods in place for someone new to the industry
Not a pleasant nor trusting work environment
Fleet Administrator (Former Employee), Bluegrass officeMarch 2, 2015
They don't give you the support or tools to help you succeed. It is a sink or swim attitude.

No one wants to help anyone. It is all about the me not the team or what is good for the company.
Not a great place
Construction Worker (Former Employee), Jansen saskatchewanSeptember 15, 2015
Not one of the best places I have ever worked at, management was terrible. Discrimination was the order of the day . Independent of thought was a no no. You were to be seen not heard . sycophancy was the order of the day. I wouldn't work there again