ATCO Structures and Logistics Employee Reviews

Great Training, good atmosphere
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2016
Great wages and benefits,Good training and safe working environment.Some lack of communication between chain of command. Job security leaves a little to be desired for.
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Layoffs
good place to work
FIRST COOK (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Estavan, Sk, Fort Mckay, ab13 March 2016
working in the kitchens for Atco was generally pretty good. Atco in my opinion treated their staff well with good wages and benefits unfortunately with the price of oil declining, there has been an economic down turn which haas caused many lath offs. i would happily work for Atco again
Steady work when the economy supports the business
Journeyman Carpenter - Flooring shop B12 (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 October 2016
It is steady and repetitive work and you can challenge your abilities by taking on working in other "shops" in the plant.
I found the opportunity rewarding as I am prone to create structures or processes to have my tasks be efficient and effective and this is encouraged at Atco. There is also the opportunity to share insights that may make a difference for the procedures in the entire plant.

I also found that the hours really fit with a family life as your day ended early enough to engage with the kids activities, and the weekends were available for other interests...

Supervision was very respectful and used encouragement over fault finding when reviewing production times and quality of work...

Over all a good place to work and great experience of caring and understanding.
Pros
Systematic can be learned and improved upon with ease.
Cons
Repetitive tasks can lead to being distracted...
work done in timely manner
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB18 September 2016
very good team work,goal oriented. I have learn to work with different individual with different believes and attitudes.which contributed to my personal development.Management had workers interest at heart and made it possible for the team to be at peace away from home and family.
atco was okay
Carpenter's Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC7 October 2016
although at times atco was poorly managed, project continued ahead of schedule and properly. employees although having low morale continued on the project on time and without many issues.
Pros
skilled employees, kept well to schedule
Cons
mismanagement, few issues swept under the rug
Very demanding
Building Operator and Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
management is not up to the standards to take care of such account. Stared in one role and now have adapted different responsibilities which makes the company very unprofessional.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB19 September 2016
Had your position on the line and worked hard to make sure you finished your job on time. The management and co-workers were awesome. Hardest part was when you fell behind in the line and people were waiting on you.
Great place if you're looking for regularity
CARPENTER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2015
ATCO, been my place of work for quite some time. Great place for people looking for structure and regularity. If someone wants pension, benefits, good pay, and a job that you're finished at 3:30 daily, it may be the place. Being a union job it has its quirks, but if you can put on blinders and ignore what the less driven people are doing than you'll be fine. There is room for advancement, you just have to be motivated and know your stuff or know how to keep things in order.
Management is the main issue for the trades in the manufacturing end of things, they need a clean slate there. When oil is down, there's no work but I have no regrets being there for the time I was.
Pros
Easy hours, indoors, safety oriented, show up and work
Cons
Dusty, repetitive, lack of spirit
hard working fast paced
Design Technologist Modular/Industrial Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2016
There was a great group of people before layoffs. The work was fast paced and interesting. There was good cooperations between design-engineering, the plant and site.
Pros
good medical- dential
Cons
needs more responsive answers from sales team after units sold
improvement needed
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 September 2016
ATCO is a good company to work for, yes there were issues here and there but overall it was good. We were like a family,the co workers,always there for each other and stood by each other. The best supervisor was hired a bit late in the game but it was good to have that exposure to one of the best housekeepers in Canada.
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Regina22 June 2016
ATCO is a very good copany to work for they look after their staff and make sure everyone is treated as an equal. A typical day at work consisted of cleaning the clients rooms. i learned how to work fast and efficiently. the managment is great and my co-workers are more like friends. the hardest part of the job was dealing with some stubborn clients and the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet new people.
Job was ok
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB20 November 2016
I didn't work here very long, it was only a temporary position so I can't say much about it one way or the other, but the employees seemed to enjoy their jobs and all got along ok.
Not much opportunity for training
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 April 2016
Human Resources turns a blind eye to issues. Lower Management is not properly screened. Working for the company was great in the beginning. Once I was relocated to another job site things changed. There was a lot of foul play and no support for my position. I brought issues up to Human Resources who simply ignored me. At this camp there were poor organization skills
Fair Wage, Awful Culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2013
Internal advancement All jobs that could be filled by internal applicants are hired externally. Compensation is mid-level, some people get bonuses one year and not the next. It is not explained. Senior management is to detached to realize the damage the inexperienced middle management is doing until half the department is lost semi-annually due to turnover. Work assignments are segregated and bland. Co-workers are friendly, technology is out of date and the business does not support needed infrastructure. Do not recommend.
Pros
Decent benefits and wages
Cons
Awful middle management, low work life balance, no performance wage structure, ineffective technology
Incredible Team
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2016
The workday has a variety of tasks including guest relations, using computer skills, filing, quality control, etc. I have learned that I have talent in customer relations as I've been able to develop a very positive rapport with clients. Our team was very effective as we knew each other's strengths and weaknesses and were able to cooperate and work together to provide an unbeatable service. Working with our software program was challenging at first but with training, I was able to build up my speed and efficiency. The people - both my coworkers and our clients was such a rewarding part of my job.
very clicky, and no benefits,don't care about staff
exzective chef (Current Employee) –  alberta22 September 2013
After working for this company for 2 years, and found out that most of the camps are temporary, so all you get for benefits is drugs paid 80% and thats it, no other benefits.I was told directly that staff is not a priorty and to shut your mouth. not a good experience, the district regional manager is a lot of talk and promises and never comes through for anyone,Sleeping rooms and showers are very tight quarters 8x10, and share showers.food is ok and the staff are allways put down by management, never good enough,I am a certified chef.So if you are looking to work for a company that has some travel allowance,medical, dental, extended health,and good sleeping rooms with professional managers that take care and care of their employees I don't reccomend you apply at atco,for they dont care
Pros
free food
Cons
disconering managers for employees
Great compensation, Safety is always first and they have a fitness gym
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
Working with ASL provided me with the different carpentry skills ranging from framing(floor, wall, etc) to final finishes(trimming, millwork, etc). The people and company festivities are great.
Great team atmosphere.
Fire Services Consultant (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario22 May 2013
Working with the team at ATCO SL has been a very rewarding experience, I was able to advance through to the Fire Chiefs position on one of our projects very quickly. Management rewards those who are dedicated to seeing that the company succeeds on every front. My biggest challenge was being away from home quite a bit. The best part of the job has been the team atmosphere, I feel that a content work environment makes for a productive and succesful work place.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Time away from home.
Fun place to work at the best of times.
Second Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB26 May 2016
Work atmosphere is good and so are the people. Need to be more responsive to employee request's by answering mail within the first 3days of receiving it.
Over all a good company to work for.
Great Company to work for
Health & Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  CNRL Richardson Lodge19 April 2016
ATCO is a big company and has some experienced staff to work with, I think that the longer they work in the Structures and Logistics division, the more solid they will be.