ATCO Gas Employee Reviews

Strongly advocates work/life balance
CUSTOMER CARE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
Feel good work environment with management that cares about your over-all well being. Provides support when asked/required. Ongoing learning support
Pros
provides a good feeling of acomplishment
Cons
affected by economic down turn
great place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2016
a great place to work especially if you are self motivated. Cares for their employees. Great benefits. I enjoyed my time working at ATCO Gas
all around safe and gratifying workplace
Distribution of field services (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 November 2016
A physically and mentally demanding job with constantly changing job conditions friendly coworkers and a strong management team. Company benefit plan was very fair with company matching share purchasing.
Productive and friendly environment to work
Engineering Contractor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2016
ATCO Gas offers a very casual and productive workplace, and the people are all friendly and helpful. Work can sometimes get a little repetitive, but there are always opportunities to go out to the field.
Low stress work environment with great coworkers
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2016
Okay management, great coworkers, low stress environment. Lots of perks. Take home salary is less and never expect any bonuses, but the work is fairly simple.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Complacency
ATCO Gas was a good place to work, I learned a lot.
Senior Accountant, Edmonton Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2016
I learned a lot at ATCO Gas, the VP and Managers were amazing to work with. The work was interesting with many opportunities to grow.

ATCO has a terrific benefit and remuneration plan.
Great job with fun atmosphere
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2016
Answered phones all day talking to customers about gas and electric bills. Helped me develop my customer service skills even more. Most of the people working there were great and easy to get along with. My manager was awful and was let go from the company but i had already left due to that person.
No planning
SENIOR BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2016
Company does not look to the future; secretive management. Very much an "old boys" clubs. Technology is not welcome; company is unwilling to look at opportunities to improve work processes which means the work takes too long.
Friendly and Supportive enviroment to work in
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2016
It was a great place to work with amazing management and co workers. Very supportive and friendly environment to learn new process
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
nothing
Great people and supportive environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2016
- There is not a lot of movement or career advancement for administrative staff
- Well paying positions with great benefits
- Seniority trumps which always benefits senior staff
The People make the difference
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2016
I have held 2 different positions within the ATCO. Both experiences were fantastic. I have never worked in an environment that had so many supportive and positive individuals.
Always something new to learn
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2016
Enjoyed just about every day there, every day was a learning experience from the next.
The pay and benefits were very great.
The Company is very big with many divisions and departments, the job security was not very secure I lost my previous job due to lay off's
Supportive and fun workplace.
Engineer in Training, Project Planning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2016
I enjoyed working at ATCO Gas. My skills includes problem solving, troubleshooting, organizing, attention to details, presentation and leadership skills definitely improved during my employment with ATCO. I feel supportive being around my resourceful co-workers and supervisor.
Great experience with a large number of good employees and management.ple: Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2016
Hours were typically 7.5 hour days though able to work flex hours as a summer student & with a sick parent.
Enjoyed the people and the work itself.
Pros
flex benefits
Supportive Work Environment Resulting in Goal Exceeding Performance
Engineer in Training/ Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2016
ATCO Gas fosters a friendly and open work environment that led to increased job satisfaction during my time at the company.

A work day consisted of many tasks including project management on one of several on-going projects, creating and improving gas hydraulic simulation models using Synergi Gas, working on comprehensive long term plans of gas distribution systems, training new group members, and responding to general inquiries from the field.

Management at the company were very approachable, keen on passing their knowledge, and willing to answer questions if they required their attention. This resulted in enhanced performance because of the free-flow of ideas and reduced the amount of time needed to develop project alternatives.

I gained very important presentation, inter-personal, project management, and computer modelling skills over the 22 months that I was employed at the company as an Engineering intern followed by a full-time position as an Engineer-in-Training. The scope of work, management, co-workers, and work environment resulted in a positive experience for me at ATCO Gas.
Pros
Team building events, abundance of career improvement opportunities, friendly work environment
Productive and Fun place to work
engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2015
Management is easy going
Not much hard part
A typical work day involves completion of your task required on your assigned project
fun workplace
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2015
Good culture & environment. opportunity to learn lot of things Fun work place. people are very friendly and ready to guide
Very friendly, and people were very willing to help.
Civil Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2015
I would typically be retrieving or inputting various data on spreadsheets. Before construction started the design engineers and site foremen would visit the site to see if there would be any complications with the proposed gas pipe placement, and if there were any spots we were unsure of we would make note of them and get them surveyed to make sure we had enough room. Site visits were frequent, especially when construction started; seeing the progress of the projects firsthand helped with the ongoing cost estimates of the projects.

I learned a lot about how difficult it is to obtain the land rights to place gas pipe for our projects, and I also learned a lot about SynerGEE Gas modelling software that helped in the design of the projects to make sure everything would still function properly after old pipe has been replaced.

My co-workers were all really great, they had very diverse personalities, none of which I would say were bad. I got along with them all very well and they were more than willing to help if I ever had any questions about how to do something. My supervisors as well were very easy to talk to and just as willing to help me when they had time in their schedules as they typically were in a lot of meetings.

The hardest part of the job for me personally, was balancing all the different projects I was working on. Landowners would refuse granting right-of-way for the pipe that was going to heat their home, so we would have to redesign the project with a new pipe alignment on a different strip of land, on a (hopefully) more willing landowner's property.
  more... I had six full projects on the go that I was having design, and that was between the smaller, urgent tasks that my supervisor(s) would have me do,

Conversely, I feel that the workload kept things interesting because I had a variation of things to do. So I would probably say that the hardest part was also the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Free lunch once per month, people were easy to work with.
Cons
Honestly, none that I can think of.
Great environment, not stressful.
Instrumentation Technologist (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2015
Don't have to take your work home with you, pride themselves on safety, take care of their employee's, job security is great being in utilities. Overall great place to work for.
Pros
Not stressful, job security and a very safe orientated company.
Cons
Hard to move around.
great place to work
Advisor and assessor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2015
the management team was very helpful. They provided me with enough work to keep me busy, They provided a lot of added information on energy efficiency
Pros
great environment

4.4